Happy Ending Review

8.3
 4.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Happy Ending Reviewed by: samuraimusaki, on july 14, 2010

Sound: This band is, in my opinion, the best the country of New Zealand has to offer. This album is beautifully done, with excellent mixing and a very nice sound. They manage to fit several genres into the album, while still sounding exactly like themselves. Eg. in the song "No One Will Believe Me When I'm Dead", there's a distinct country feel, while in "Slumber Party" there's a beautiful soulful feel to the song. They manage to sound unique, like themselves, and unlike any other band. It could be due to the Singer/Guitarists (Not respectively, I've seen them live and each sings and plays guitar) and their distinct singing styles. I can honestly say there is no band like them. Overall, this album is great. Almost flawless. And for an indie New Zealand band, that's a big achievement. // 8

Lyrics: The lyricism in this album is awesome. Truly awesome. Some of the lyrics might be a bit... odd to non-New Zealanders, but, that's easily get aroundable (Not a word, but that is also get aroundable). With lrics like "Your heart is cold/Like a box of beer"(from "Bleaching Sun" and "I used to run a bank/In the sediment of your water tank" that seem to evoke New Zealand imagery for those who live/have lived in New Zealand. But there's also the other lyrics which are also amazing. Like in "40 Years" there are lyrics like; "I only wish/I could remember/All the names of the streets/And all the birds in my books about birds/And all the words in my dictionary" which just oozes a lament of age, or a mid-life crisis. Or in "A Day In The Sun" there are lyrics like "And I'm chained to my desk and I'm chewing my quill/Cause I want my home in the Hollywood hills", which for me is just a huge imagery of an office job dreamer. Overall, these lyrics are amazing, and easily deserve a 9. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is nice. That's all I can say about it, it's nice. But nice is definitely what it's trying to be. It's pretty. It's not rough like NIN, or raw like The White Stripes. It's leaning more towards the OK Go's "Of The Blue Colour Of The Sky", but still rougher than that. Nice is normally less than something like "Excellent" or "Awesome" but that's not the sense that it's used in. Its Awesomely Nice. I liked this album so much, I bought it in a shop. Not on iTunes, or downloaded illegally, I did this the ultimate grace and bought it in a shop. I would buy it again if I lost it. It's just that good. Overall, an 8. The album is awesome, and definitely recommended. // 8

More The Phoenix Foundation reviews rating latest review