We Are The Pipettes Review

the pipettes: We Are The Pipettes
Release Date: Jul 17, 2006
Label: Naive
Genres: Indie Pop
If not particularly important, We Are The Pipettes is both witty and filled with ear-catching melodies. Recommended listening for any lover of classic, celebratory pop.
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
We Are The Pipettes Reviewed by: Otakutheiii, on july 02, 2007

Sound: The sound they have is very reminiscent of old doo-wop/'60s girl groups, while having a unique punch. The production used on the album is very much influenced by the Phil Specter style. It's full of large sounding string sections and large amounts of reverb, creating huge orchestrations. The guitar and organs work well with each other, with the guitar being chime-y and really cutting through the mix. There are three female vocalist, and this gives harmonies that have a beautiful sound. If you're a fan of twee or the 60's sound, then your going to like this. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty strong, and they convey a wide range of emotions and events. They have a good amount of wit, as in "Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me", or the song "ABC". They also have great love songs, such as "Because It's Not Love (But It's Still A Feeling)". The most recurring theme in their lyrics is dancing, such as "It Hurts To See You Dance So Well" or "Pull Shapes". The lyrics are very catchy and I'm sure you will have them stuck in your head. Whether that's a good thing or bad, is up to you. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is one of the most danceable albums I've heard recently, outside of the dance/electro genres.I suppose if it were stolen I buy it again, I'm sure they need the money. Personally, I love the girl vocalists, string sections, and the dance-y feel to the whole album, things I don't like are how some of the songs don't go together in the tracklisting. The album is in the same vein as its twee/indie colleague's; such as Camera Obscura, or the great Belle and Sebastien, this band measures up to them. Personally, I love the girl vocalists, string sections, and the dance-y feel to the whole album, things I don't like are how some of the songs don't go together in the tracklisting. It's very poppy and catchy, a perfect album to have a party to, or to just put a smile on your face. // 8

Comments