First Born Review

Genre: Metalcore
Label: Rise Records
 Lyrics: 8.3
First Born Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 21, 2011

Sound: The first full length album from one of Rise Records newest acquesitions. "First Born" from The Plot In You is 40+ minutes of pummeling, in-your face hardcore. The funny thing is that lead vocalist Landon used to play guitar for the band Before Their Eyes. He has really changed his music style. The concept of the album is about child abuse. At first you would think that it is just another angry screamo band, but you will then hear the pummeling breakdowns and crunchy guitars. You will change your mind. There are plenty of djenty guitar riffs and off tempo breakdowns. The other person who reviewed this album has no idea what he is talking about. // 9

Lyrics: At points it just sounds like angry emo kids but not completely. The lead vocalist is questioning God in one song, asking why has he ignored him? These lyrics stick to you. The song "Neighbors" is condemning the neighbors for knowing about the abuse but not doing anything. I love the lyrics, they are actually deep, not like Asking Alexandria, who's songs are about alcohol, drugs and whores. The Plot In You's lyrics are angry but very well written. To warn you they do use some language but it fits very well and is not over used or just thrown in random places to sound "cool". // 9

Overall Impression: The album has made its way into my top 10 list for sure. It isn't August Burns Red's "Messengers" but it is really great. Each song is great in it's own way, I do not have favorites because of this. At times it sounds like stereotypical metalcore, but its hard to be completely original nowadays. If I lost this album I would buy it again in a heartbeat. The last thing I have to say is buy the album and not illegally download it. A band like this deserves it. Buy this album you will love it. // 9

First Born Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on april 27, 2011

Sound: The one thing that stuck with me during and after listening to the new CD by Rise Records signee The Plot In You was this: "Is there absolutely NO HOPE for originality in this music anymore?" The Plot In You musically summarize themselves before you're even a minute into the album. "The Father's Seed" starts with some ludicrous sampling and a breakdown that's basically a copy-paste of every breakdown technique in the book. Their sound is basically that of a band that WANTS to be original, that WANTS to break free from the pack of metalcore bands that all sound painfully simmilar. The end result, however, is far from that mark, as they basically re-hash everything their labelmates are capable of (albeit a more entertaining version of said sound, but still as unoriginal as most of Rise's offerings). There are some sonic surprises on this disk, but they're scattered far throughout, and for every good idea TPIY has, they have about 12 generic ones to counter it. In summation, musically they're not as trite as Asking Alexandria, but not as gifted as, say, Parkway Drive. // 5

Lyrics: The vocals were a pretty pleasent surprise for me on this album. The main vocalist prefers a low bellow/growl to fry screams, and it most certainly helps set the mood. His delivery is very impassioned, ranging from sounding tortured to just flat-out pissed off. Lyrically, these guys are pretty horrid. Lines typical of high school "poetry" books litter the album. Lines such as "You better watch your f***ing mouth before I rip it off your face" ("Filth") and "You motherf***er I hope you burn in hell/I hope you know what you caused me" ("Small Face") are so full of rage, yet so simply constructed you have to scratch your head and wonder if the emotion is genuine or just there for shock value. // 6

Overall Impression: The Plot In You have potential to be good. They honestly do. They just need to overhaul their sound and ditch the Rise-core sound to realize their full potential. For a first timer to the band, I would highly recommend the songs "Miscarriage" or "Neighbors". But be warned: if metalcore isn't your thing, or if you just like a little more melody with your music... look elsewhere. For fans of: Like Moths To Flames, Motionless In White, The Bled. // 5

First Born Reviewed by: parkwaydriver10, on january 23, 2012

Sound: This band is a relatively new entry into the metal scene! Their first full length studio effort "First Born", has to be one of the most powerful metal albums I have had the pleasure to listen to this past year! Having discovered them on the YouTube channel of Rise Records (which I now frequent), I was quite impressed to have come across something so strong and passionate. The instrumental(mostly the guitar work) is in the style of Emmure (which I'm sure most of you know of), but the vocals display a much more mature understanding of vocal range. The vocals include the harsh low growls of their head vocalist, and most of the choruses and clean harmonies are provided by the bassist who doubles as the clean vocalist. The guitar hits hard, blowing apart your nervous system (I'm sure I actually had chills listening to it for the first time, and still do), while also delivering a melodic element that keep the listener coming back for more, even after the album is long over. The drums are nothing too special, the usual occasional blast beat and SICK double kick. I do give the drummer props because he is very skilled, just nothing I haven't heard before. Overall, this band has definitely found a fan in me, and I am Already looking forward to a follow up release! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics hit hard and are an inspiring entity in themselves, adding life to the music behind them. As with all lyrics, they're nothing without the rhythm, but even reading the lyrics to a song like miscarriage gives the reader a feeling just like the band probably felt while writing the lyrics. As for the skill of the vocalist(s), the lead vocalist can hit some skull bashing lows, and also provides some clean vocals, he still has a small space for improvement, but not much, he is a very mature vocalist and is a perfect fit for the band. As for the clean vocals provided by the bassist, they give you chills as he smoothly slides in and out of chorus and bridge sections. They are definitely right for each other as a band, and have made the lyrical impression on the listener powerful and enjoyable. // 10

Overall Impression: The album as a whole is fantastic. I hadn't had anywhere to purchase the album until just recently on a trip to HMV, but it was not at all a bad decision to pay for this album. As usual, I like to support lesser known bands, and would some day like to make my career as a recording engineer and publicist for small fanbase bands like this. There is nothing that I dislike about this album. The final track however, I would have placed in the middle of the album, I felt that it would have made a better bridge between the two halves than it did a closing song, but the lyrical message of this song ("Dear Dad") does fit better at the end of the album. If this album was lost I would most definitely purchase it a second, third, hell, even fourth time! This album is amazing! From the clean chorus in "Small Face" to the brutal lows and catchy chorus of "Filth" and even the all out dark entity that is "Rat Poison", leaves me wanting more from this band. And that's what a release is supposed to do, right? This album gets a full out 10 on overall impression! // 10

More The Plot In You reviews rating latest review