Don't You Fake It Review

Label: Virgin
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Emo, Screamo
 Lyrics: 8.4
Don't You Fake It Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 07, 2006

Sound: I thought good names for rockbands were over by the end of '70s... God, I was wrong... These five guys from Middleburg, Florida proved I was sooo wrong... Whatever they meant by naming themselves The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, it sounds hilarious and cool. It took them about 3 years to get a deal and release a debut album -- Don't You Fake It. It was a help of a producer David Bendeth (Hawthorne Heights and Breaking Benjamin) that encouraged the guys to make the sound better until the point he liked it. Singer Ronnie Winter says that starting a band the only thing they cared about was having a good time and thus they play music in a totally effortless way, creating their own style and changing directions even within one song. Guys shift between pop punk, metal and screamo so easily and courageously as if those two styles always came along together. Tracks often start as an aggressive punk-rock and explode into metal as tension grows towards the final. You can never guess the end of the track as the song structures are unpredictable. Instruments are multilayered creating a constant emotional intense. Busy drums are accomplished by a wall of guitars full of crunchy chords that are driving the songs. There are two so different ballads on the record -- Cat And Mouse is mellow and whining while Your Guardian Angel is gentle and soft. For teenage girls romantic Your Guardian Angel should be a killer as Winter sings in such an innocent voice I will never let you fall/I'll stand with you forever that makes you want to believe every single word. The track goes into heavy pounding half-way through in the best traditions of power ballads. Would be a good choice for the second single. Pessimistic Cat And Mouse with minor piano is on the emo side of the album. It annoys you as you start feeling sorry for the vocalist -- he sounds so unhappy and the howling choral on the background multiply the effect. Damn Regret is probably the most cheerful songs on Don't You Fake It. Listening to this happy sing-along it's hard to believe the guys just played metal a song or two ago. // 8

Lyrics: The songs subjects are deeper than you might think they are. Like the first single from the album Face Down, which is about guys violating girls. Frontman Ronnie Winter says he was like that himself once and, making a song about it, he's warning people not to make the same mistakes. Other songs also have deep interesting lyrics with the exception of maybe only pop-sweet Your Guardian Angel, which is more likely the commercial filling of the album. Vocalist Ronnie Winter hits high notes in Damn Regrets with a sharp voice of a teenager, singing like some pop idol and then switches to brutal screamo in Justify. He's got that manner of yearning emo vocals that would excite any emo fan. // 8

Overall Impression: The album is full of contrasts between different music styles and emotional conflicts, showcasing the diversity of the band. And on the other side it's so organic that it all blends into one solid record. They don't try to lock themselves into one style and label their music to follow the success of somebody who did it before them. That's the energy of a young inspired band that drives their music. Though a lot of songs sound much alike and the band avoids experimenting for some reasons. The music needs more fresh ideas as there are a few stand outs on the record, but most of the songs seem like a filler. Unfortunately the catchiest song on the record is silly pop-punk Damn Regrets. I wish there were more killer guitar lines and catchy melodies in heavier songs. A huge advantage of the band is in lyrics -- not too many musicians out there dare to make a song about domestic abuse and write about some serious subjects different from their love relationship. // 8

- Kosh (c) 2006

Don't You Fake It Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on may 09, 2008

Sound: So, I heard "Face Down" (Track 4) about a million times on the radio, and my friend Hannah suggested I go and get the CD (though I suspect that that was so she could listen to it). So, naturally, I did. And can I just say that this is the best punk rock/screamo album I've heard in a very long time? Yes, thank you. This is the best punk rock/screamo album I've heard in a very long time. I really love 'Don't You Fake It' (2006) much more than their previous album, 'The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus,' (2005) though the latter is very good as well. Just not much creativity musically. DYFI sounds really great, though. The guitarists are better, the songs all change, which is good. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are really fun, and rarely are they unimpressive and poor. Actually, I really enjoyed this album for the lyrics. "Your Guardian Angel," track 11, goes, "When I see your smile, tears roll down my cheeks I can't replace and now that I'm strong, I have figured out how this world turns cold and it breaks through my soul." Among the other 10 tracks (12 or 13 if you get a deluxe version), it really stands out, though that doesn't necessarily make it the best track, they're all really good, lyric-wise, too! And the singer skills are good, to say the least. His screaming is redundant. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to their debut, this is really great album. I hope that future albums bring the band luck as they climb up (or down) the charts. The best songs are probably tracks 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, and I'd even put track 11 up there. RJA displays a nice collection of some good punk-rock songs in this album. I highly recommend it, though you may have to adjust to the repetetive screaming. If this album were, well, I won't go through my usual list of how a tiny little Compact Disk can be destroyed; I'll just say that if this item left my posession for any reason, I would certainly buy it again. // 8

Don't You Fake It Reviewed by: -madhater-, on september 15, 2008

Sound: I was literally dazzled when I heard their first single 'Face Down'. And it made me buy the album the next day. The guitar riffs are not that complex (it basically has only one pattern for the whole and this goes pretty much for most of the songs in the album) but it really caught my attention. I immediately thought that this band is going to make it big here in the Philippine rock stream. And it did. Their incredibly emotional sound and vocals really hit the hearts of many 'emo' here in our country. And their wide musical styles which range from hard-rocking, power chord bashing to mild acoustic and soft piano tunes really made me put my two thumbs up for the band and their new album. // 9

Lyrics: This component of their songs are one of the primary reasons why I bought this album. Poetic, meaningful and emotion-filled words put together into a song and put into an album; what else can you ask for? And add to that, melody and tunes that fit dead-on with the powerful lyrics and a vocalist that can hit those notes with precision accuracy. Now that's an album that's worth my dough. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all, this album ranks up my Top 10 list, well, not my Top 1 but at least in the upper half of my list. My favorites from the album are 'Face Down', 'Your Guardian Angel', 'Atrophy', 'Cat and Mouse', 'Damn Regret' and 'Flase Pretense'. Try them. You'll love it. Though my overall impression of the album was good, there were points that I didn't really like: some tracks sound almost the same! but just with different lyrics! But aside from that, the album would definitely be worth every cent you spend for it. Great lyrics, great musicality, great album - don't you fake it. // 10

Don't You Fake It Reviewed by: AVA_182_44, on september 07, 2006

Sound: The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus' music is just as creative as their name. This is a CD for appreciators of emo/screamo music, if you loved Hathorne Heights, if you loved From First To Last, if you loved My American Heart, well, you are in luck my friend. Don't you fake loving this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lead singer in TRJA has a sturdy, clean voice. Honestly, the lyrocs are kind of out there, they fit with the song, but when you can really hear and understand what he's saying. You ask yourself "What?" But don't give up on them, once you listen to them a little more, you'll realize this isn't the same thing everyone else is singing about, they're new, differnt, refreshingly original. // 7

Overall Impression: A lot of people I know compare TRJA to Fall Out Boy, which I don't understand, they sound nothing alike. Don't let anyone tell you that they sound the same as FOB, or Panic! At The Disco, because they are nothing alike. For that matter, don't let anyone tell you they sound the same as anyother band. The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus is totally new, and they don't know what they're talking about. This is a refreshingly new band with a refreshingly original sound. The most impressive songs on this album are "In Fate's Hand," "Your Guardian Angel," "Face Down," "Misery Loves It's Company" and "Waiting." I really hope that you're going to love this band as much as I do. // 10

Don't You Fake It Reviewed by: Xcrimson_ghostX, on september 07, 2006

Sound: Red Jumpsuit Apparatus exploded onto the music scene overnight following the release of the single 'Face Down' bringing with them a relatively unique sound. RJA occasionally follows the typical power chord progressions that can make music boring. However, they make up for it with a second guitar belting out catchy riffs and fills. This is seen in 'Face Down'. Also, RJA has several tracks that portray a softer side. These songs prove their originality. 'Cat And Mouse' and 'Guardian Angel' are emotional ballads, and 'Grim Goodbye' is an excellent, dramatic conclusion to the record. On a less complimentary note, Ronnie Winter's attempt at screaming is sub par in my opinion. // 8

Lyrics: I read in an interview with Red Jumpsuit Apparatus that all of their lyrics are adaptations of real events in their lives. Songs like 'Face Down', which describes an abusive relationship, and 'Guardian Angel', which describes a sort of religious pledge of loyalty. 'Guardian Angel' is an amazing song with lyrics that really stick with you. Sometimes, the lyrics can get a little repetitive, losing the meaning and direction. 'Damn Regret' shows this quality. RJA does a damn good job with blending lyrics and music. The message in the lyrics matches the sound. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this album was worth the money. It proves to me that there is still musical creativity left in this pathetic world. I'd have to say that 'Seventeen Ain't So Sweet', 'Guardian Angel', and 'Face Down' are my favorite tracks off of 'don't You Fake It'. I love Ronnie Winter's voice except for those painful moments when he screams. He either needs to polish it up or not do it at all. RJA sounds like a mix of Armor For Sleep and Hidden In Plain View with some elements of Senses Fail. In conclusion, buy it! // 8

Don't You Fake It Reviewed by: Drew/Dawg, on february 26, 2007

Sound: I love the way this band can mix their voices together and make not something screamo even though it can give off that impression a bit but more or a mixture between sreamo and vocals. If you've listened to this CD you will know what I'm talking about if you haven't then you better get your ass up and borrow a friends or go buy it. This is one of the first CD's I bought as I started my CD frenzy and I haven't had a single thought in my mind as to if this is a good band or not. The songs capture you into their story's and show you with almost frightening detail of what their trying to get threw to you. Their music exceeds all expectations of everyone I know who loves music and I know it certainly has mine. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are detailed to the point as I said before that is almost frightening. They put an image in your head and you can sit and watch as everything moves around going together with the song. You can stare off into space and just listen as you are taken away on a journey that you will either be relieved you have come back from or getting ready to go on it again. The lyrics seem to mesh with the music in ways that most bands fail to recognize or just seem to neglect. I don't exactly know weather or not Red Jumpsuit Apparatus writes their own music or has a Lyrist do it for them but give or take it's the artist playing the music the way it was writen no matter if they wrote it. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't think this CD has any comparing competition. Their music seems to throw away everyone else's and has not failed to be recognized by all their adoring fans. I think as well as many others I know that the song that most have heard and admire would be Face Down. This is one of the songs that seems to exceed the rest in detail as well as quality, of coarse all the other songs don't lack either two, this song just seems to have more recognizable features. This is one CD that knowing what I had and had therefor lost or misplaced I can tell you I'm more then sure I'd go get it again. // 9

Don't You Fake It Reviewed by: KaseySG, on july 10, 2007

Sound: RJA's sound is awesome! They take genres like post-hardcore and pop-punk and put their own sound into it. It is not totally unique to other bands, but they definitely do have their own sound. The crushing guitar sound in Grim Goodbye to the up-beat sound of Waiting and Damn Regret is so cool. They can really play anything from pop-like songs to harder metal-sounding stuff. // 10

Lyrics: I really like the lyrics. They take real subjects and write about them. Face Down is obviously the best song lyrically on the album. It talks about a man (boyfriend) physically abusing a girl (girlfriend) and it is really touching to some people. The lyrics in Damn Regret talk about living life to the fullest no matter what comes in your way. The thing that really amazes me is how Ronnie Winter (lead singer) plays with words. He really does add his own style to the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: The one band I can compare Red Jumpsuit Apparatus to is Silverstein (atleast on their new ablum, never heard anything else). They have that 30% screaming and 70% singing style to them. I personally like RJA more because they have a more easy listening sound to them, while Silverstein has that more hardcore sound, which I don't mind. I like all the songs on the album, but especially Face Down, Damn Regret, False Pretense, and In Fates Hands. Lovin' is all I got for this band, nothing to complain about! And yes, if it were lost/stolen I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Don't You Fake It Reviewed by: Macheeoo, on august 08, 2011

Sound: The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, a band whose name I always struggle to spell correctly, released their debut album "Don't You Fake It" in 2005. The band's sound is a sort of mix between pop, rock and a lite touch of screamo; Alternative rock or pop punk, if you will. The lead singer Ronnie Winter has the pitch matching qualities that may even rival that of Journey's Steve Perry. Similar artists might be Anberlin or even newer/less heavy Escape The Fate. The album starts off with "In Fate's Hands", it is a great opening effect, somewhat layered in a way that they can showcase the different instruments being used, guitar, bass, drums which ties into the lyrics. From there, they give you a feel for their overall sound, "Waiting", "False Pretense" and the ever so popular hit "Face Down". Fast, simple riffs and leads that get the job done and still have you singing along. Other mentionable material includes "Cat And Mouse", and "Your Guardian Angel" which are slower, more contemporary tracks. Both showcasing the other side of this type of band. Overall, a great album for such an early band. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics for the most part are not "special". Most song writers try to find material their listeners can relate to. Relationships, heart ache and loss all are good material, but how you put them together is what matters. Sometimes, the simple stuff is what you remember. And in this case, "Face Down" does the trick. Society generally doesn't approve of violence towards women, yet it still exists, and doesn't get talked about except behind closed doors. This song is calling someone out on their wrong which is what most people want to do. "Cat And Mouse" had a line in the chorus that really sticks out... "Am I supposed to be happy, when all I ever wanted, it comes with a price?" Which refers to a dying loved one, somebody he felt so close to, having finally found them only to have to lose them too soon. // 8

Overall Impression: Being that this is their first real album, they get alot of slack. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus is far from the best pop-rock-punk band out there, but defiantly something you should be listening too; at least for a little while. "Face Down" gave them a name and enormous fame (for a short time). Whether or not they can continue to make hits is unclear. They deserve to be heard, hits or not. // 8

More The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus reviews rating latest review