Grind The Ocean Review

the safety fire: Grind The Ocean
Released: Feb 27, 2012
Genre: Progressive Metal, Math Metal, Djent
Label: Inside Out Music
"Grind The Ocean" is a diverse, groove laden and memorable album that even while it can be strange at times will keep you listening and replaying it. This is a progressive master class, its big and epic at times and subdued and conservative the rest of the time and this is a great contrasting listen.
 8.3
 7.2
 9.4
Grind The Ocean Reviewed by: colm c, on march 13, 2012

Sound: These guys popped up on my radar late last year and I've been waiting ever since for the full length album. The single, "Huge Hammers", was so good that I bought the album basically ten minutes after its release. Contrary to how the name sounds these guys are a metal band and the write some cracking tunes. "Grind The Ocean" is a diverse, groove laden and memorable album that even while it can be strange at times will keep you listening and replaying it. I'll start with my favorite part of "Grind The Ocean", the vocals. They are simply amazing, they add a side to this album that compliments the music so well. Aggressive and clear moments are played off beautifully sung passages that can almost sound delicate. This blend of light and dark caps an album of amazing performances brilliantly. // 8

Lyrics: The guitar work is something else, progressive is the best description, I love it but the style is not for everyone. Its frantic and off time, to an untrained ear or new listener it can be a turn off but these moments are paired with melodic and catchy riffing and lead work that you'll be humming the guitar parts for days. The big set pieces are also played off against slow acoustic or clean sections which divide up songs and the album as whole songs can be these passages. And now the rhythm section... This is an album that's driven by rhythm, feeling and groove so the bass and drums have a massive role to play in crafting the sound. This is a head bobber of an album and the drum work is so damn funky at times, he carries the groove riffs so well and makes them so much more. Watch the "Huge Hammers" video below for the best description anyone can give about the bass, just watch him, he is having more fun than I've probably ever had playing music! // 7

Overall Impression: This is a progressive master class, its big and epic at times and subdued and conservative the rest of the time and this is a great contrasting listen. I would wholly recommend this album just to experience a serious musical journey even just once, you wont regret it. "Grind The Ocean" is available now on iTunes and from the Century Media Webstore.

// 8

Grind The Ocean Reviewed by: TriKef, on april 18, 2012

Sound: The Safety Fire is a five piece progressive metalcore band that hails from London. The production of the album itself, which was handle by the bands guitarist Derya Nagle, reminds me of both Periphery's and Animals As Leader's self titled albums which means a lot of electronics and effects are thrown through out the 47 minute long record. The best way to describe the sound of the instruments in this is "clean". Nothing feels too high or low when they shouldn't be, the guitars and the drums sound great, and the bass can be heard clearly (even though there aren't any truly memorable bass lines in this album). The overall sound of the band reminds me of a mix between Periphery and Protest The Hero, with some songs like "Sections" carrying a heavy groove feel with them and songs like "Animal King" bringing in melodic moments and having an excellent build up and release to them. I do think most of the weaker tracks on the album are at the beginning, with "Floods Of Colour" and "Dmb (Fdp)" sounding like typical songs for their genre. Things pick back up with "Animal King" continue on a nice streak till "Seagraves" and the title track which is such a disappointing track to end on. // 7

Lyrics: Vocalist Sean McWeeney has an unique scream/shout that sticks out from the sea of metal vocalist. His clean vocals sound fine, but they are covered with too many effects through out the album. In the first track, "Huge Hammers", you are about 2/3 done with the song when you finally hear his voice without any heavy effects on it. Tracks like "Anomolous Materials" do benefit from this since it's trying to create an ambient atmosphere for the listener, but it feels overdone when you finish listening to the album. Listening to the album multiple times, none of the lyrics really popped out at me besides in "Huge Hammers" and "Floods Of Colour" but that maybe more of the vocal delivery in those songs then the lyrics themselves. With me only having a digital copy of the album (I wish iTunes would include a pdf file of the booklet with every album) and not many people willing to sit there and type out the lyrics, its hard for me to judge the lyrics to the whole album. I didn't notice any stand out phrases through out the album that made me say "Wow, that was f--king epic! I wish I wrote that!" Then again, I didn't run into any awful phrases that made me say "Wait, what did he just say?" // 7

Overall Impression: At the end of the day, "Grind The Ocean" is a just a good/decent progressive metalcore album. There are a couple of tracks that will grab your attention like "Sections" & "Circassian Beauties" while songs like "Dmb (Fdp)" will make you think "Oh, I heard this before." Even though I only find myself liking 5/9 tracks on this album, the only real bad song on the album is the title track, which has the weakest vocal and instrument delivery on the whole album. The other songs on here just sound boring and bland to me. Combine that with my issues of the effect heavy vocals and none of the lyrics really standing out, a 6 out of 10 for the whole album feels right. For fans of: Animals As Leaders, Periphery, and Protest The Hero. // 6

More The Safety Fire reviews rating latest review