A Chorus Of Obliteration Review

The Showdown: A Chorus Of Obliteration
Released: Nov 16, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Underground Rap
These guys are going to be huge. They will change the face of metal as we know it.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.6
 9.3
 9.9
A Chorus Of Obliteration Reviewed by: Riffomatic_5000, on april 05, 2007

Sound: These guys just straight up rip! There is absolutely no question about it. This is literally one of the most brutal Christian Metal acts out there. The lead singer/screamer most definitely qualifies for the part. Sometimes the guy screams with a shrill tone, but then changes to a very low growl that is mostly heard in Death Metal. The guitarist are absolutely fantastic at playing their instruments. I love how they manage to change from neoclassical type riffs, and go straight into a Southern Blues lick; it really gives them depth. Although, everyone on this CD did a great job playing their instruments, the guitarists really stood out the most. Dual-guitar shreds, fast brutal solo's, memorable riffs, this band has it all! // 10

Lyrics: My favorite song on this CD would have to be "A Monument Encased In Ash" which is the most brutal intro song I've probably ever heard. This song just got me fired up when I first heard it. Other songs like "From The Mouth of Gath Comes Terror" and "Dagon Undone (The Reckoning)" do a good job of just absolutely making the listener want to get up and jump around. The great thing I love about this band is that they are Christian, but they still display this brutal since of Metal. Never before have I seen a metal act this in your face since "As I Lay Dying". These guys are just an amazing band! Their lyrics have great meaning and are not focused on death, self-loathing, depression, and other things that just bring people down. I love the way the album ends with "Laid To Rest", which starts out as a slow acoustic song, but then tears your face off close to the end when the screaming and shredding com in to play. // 10

Overall Impression: You can tell that these guys pulled influence from Death Metal, Country, Blues, but they really do a good job of making their own sound. Just about every song on this CD stands out, but my favorite would have to be the intro "A Monument Encased In Ash", it's just such a brutal and in-your-face intro. I would most definitely go and buy this CD again if it were stolen or lost. This is one of the best CDs I have purchased this year. // 10

A Chorus Of Obliteration Reviewed by: dirtbikerdude17, on april 08, 2005

Sound: The guitaring is frickin awesome! Heavy base under the complex high riffs that make for fast paced metal (christian metal). Catchy riffs and melodies. // 10

Lyrics: Pretty good lyrics, but I've definately heard better. Plus, half the time you can't even understand what he's sayin. The lyrics are mostly about the end of the world and betrayal, and for being a christain band, its a little bit dark. The lyrics don't exactly coincide with the sound of the music either on some of the songs. Like on 'Iscariot', the music is upbeat and sounds happy, but then the singing comes in and he's talking about serpents and betrayal and Judas. It doesn't exactly match up, but it sounds alright. // 6

Overall Impression: Pretty good album, but I wouldn't say that the showdown is my favorite band. I like the guitaring in it though, and I wish there was more tabs for it, but oh well I guess that means I'll have to get up off my lazy ass and tab it out. // 8

A Chorus Of Obliteration Reviewed by: thatoneguy99999, on october 04, 2005

Sound: The CD definately is metalcore. Metallic riffs with loads of hardcore rhythm. The guitarists are extremely talented. The solos are very good and very well placed. The tone of the guitars are amazing as well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good. The singer has a powerful throat. Growls and screams are everywhere. 01. A Monument Encased In Ash - this is about Sodom and Gamorrah. Very well written. 02. Hell Can't Stop Us Now - this is about standing up for what is right and not being stopped by evil. 03. Epic: Chorus Of Obliteration - good song about how people can win any war is God on thier side. 04. From The Mouth Of Gath Comes Terror - this song is about the defeat of Satan. 05. A Proclamation Of Evil's Fate - another song about the defeat of Satan. 06. Dagon Undone (The Reckoning) - this a song about Samson and how he took down the temple of Dagon. 07. Iscariot - "cowards, liars, traitors; this song was meant for you." 08. Dolor Per Proelium (your Name Is Defeat) - no one can win with evil. 09. Deus Invictus (your Name Is Victory) - victory is found with God. 10. Laid To Rest - this song is about when Jesus returned to Heaven and how he wants to be there to. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very good album. My personal favorite are A Monument Encased In Ash and Laid To Rest. The guitar work is very good; however, some of the lyrics have a repeatative theme. This a definate must have. // 10

A Chorus Of Obliteration Reviewed by: ClassicDisaster, on june 12, 2006

Sound: Very good sound from all the instruments. Being a metal album, it is very brutal, yet they rip out some very good southern rock licks, and even pull back completely with an acoustic song that turns crazy to end the CD. Every instrument is well played, and the artists are very talented at what they play. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals range from deep growls to high pitvhed shrieks to very good singing. The Vocalist actually has a really good singing voice. His scream is great, he has really good range with his scream. The lyrics are cool. They're about fighting and wars and battles, yet they have a christian theme, as they are a christian band. The lyrics about battles and fighting really fit well with the brutal music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is The Showdown's first albulm, and I cant wait for more from them. The whole albulm stood out to me, especially "Laid To Rest," because it was a beautiful melodic acoustic song to start with, and then it just explodes into some really good riffs. I dowloaded it fom iTunes, and I would get it again if the files ever got deleted or lost or whatever in a heartbeat. As a side note, they are an amazing live band, go see them if you get a chance. // 10

More The Showdown reviews rating latest review