The Globe Review

9.2
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Globe Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on september 17, 2008

Sound: Versatility is the key component in The Silent Years music and it is the dominant factor in the band's latest recording, The Globe. Produced by The Silent Years, the music submerges into symphonic ethers relatable to such experimental rock enthusiasts as Voxtrot and Office, and reaches as wide as the domesticated coffeehouse pop of Matt Costa and Feist. The echoing beats of drummer Ryan Clancy and bassist Mike Majewski in On Our Way Home are coated in softly undulating keyboards by Cassandra Verras and whispering chord distortions by guitarists Fabian Halabou and lead singer Josh Epstein. The tambourine shimmies of Pat Michalak are a sweet additive in the melodies that enhance the echo of crashing cymbals. The elegant flare of the guitars and dashing keyboards through Aging Gracefully have a flamenco tapping, and the cracks in the Axiom are filled with obtuse angles in the harmonies and menacing piano tones that darken the melody's upbeat faade. The melodic channels running through Ropes galvanize the instruments into orchestral rock clusters, and the twittering flutters that bloom across Open Up Your Eyes are softly lathered in gang vocals and wandering guitar distortions. The band keeps their songs active without bulking up the instrumentation and piling on the layers. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics touch on human foibles and insecurities that somehow connect with masses of people. The verses in Open Up Your Eyes express a universal condition My body is so tight / My shoulders shake from constriction / Just once I need something to go right / I will walk these streets alone / Because I don't need anyone or anything in this life / I just need something to go right. The lyrics offer sentiments that are shared by many folks like in On Our Way Home with emotions pouring out, On our way home, we buried our photo albums Everyone we've ever loved was there On our way home we realized we had just become big embarrassments Everyone we've ever known's been laughing Everyone we've ever known is here. The analogies in the lyrics create a pictorial in the listener's mind with, Our footsteps made were echoes and all the thoughts we've ever had were hammers that sat in our garages gathering dust. // 9

Overall Impression: The Silent Years lyrics are profound and their music dips into the ethers of the human imagination. The band works with so much material, all versatile in it's tones and sonic scope that it feels as if the band went around the world to find this material. Much of the album will appeal to most people, and the more esoteric areas in the album will find an audience among unconventional thinkers and experimental rock enthusiasts. The songs are complex and offer challenging twists and turns. There is nothing simple about The Silent Years music, but it connects with people who lead a simple life. // 8

Comments