Misery Escape Review

artist: the sorrow date: 11/05/2012 category: compact discs
the sorrow: Misery Escape
Released: Oct 26, 2012. Genre: Melodic metalcore. Label: Napalm Records. Number Of Tracks: 13. "Misery Escape" is the fourth album of The Sorrow, and one of their best. As you probably won't love it, you will definitely like it.
 8.1
 7.3
 8.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Misery Escape Reviewed by: demonhunter2211, on november 05, 2012

Sound: The Sorrow is a metal band from Austria that was formed in 2005. "Misery Escape" is the fourth album, and one of their best. As you probably won't love this album, you will definitely like it. But if you're looking for something new, you've come to the wrong place. The Sorrow haven't broken any new ground, as no one has in years, but that doesn't mean it's not good. The album offers tons of heavy riffs, plenty of chugging, catchy choruses, and brutal breakdowns. While the production quality is great, it feels like there can be a little too much distortion on some tracks during the chugging parts, and layered screaming is so frequent on this album, it gets kind of annoying and ruins some parts. If you're looking for something heavy, listen to "A Thin Red Line", as it is the heaviest song on the album. "My Oblivion" is one of the best songs as it opens up with a hugely fast intro, a catchy chorus, an amazing bridge, and closes out with a rare bass solo. "Burial In The Deep" is the album's best song. It has an amazing chorus that'll have you singing along, and a great acoustic close out. // 7

Lyrics: Mathias Schlegl's vocals have never been as good as they are on this album. He nailed his cleans with perfection, as they are never boring and always sound great. His screams are amazing, with him reaching new places in his range he has yet to go. His highs are more frequent, but not too frequent, and his lows are something he's never done before and sound pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: With all the metal that's come out this year (Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying, Parkway Drive, Every Time I Die), "Misery Escape" will be in my list of the best albums of 2012. Since you've probably never heard of them, I highly recommend that you do, although their predecessor self-titled album is much better, in my opinion. I feel the best songs are "Burial In The Deep", "My Oblivion", "Burial Bridge", "Follow The Lights", "Perspectives", and "A Thin Red Line". If it were stolen, I'd more than likely buy it again.

// 7