What You Don't See Review

9.4
 8.7
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
What You Don't See Reviewed by: zef0214, on april 02, 2013

Sound: Ah... Pop-punk. A genre that feeds off the angst of growing up and failed romantics but, in my opinion, an interesting one. Long after the heyday of bands like New Found Glory, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte etc., we are presented with a new wave of pop punk: The Story So Far. The band got its name from a New Found Glory song so the name is fitting. But enough about the background, the sound and quality of the album is what we are here for right? I had listened to their previous release, "Under Soil And Dirt", and I thought it was a fantastic record, so I had some expectations for their sophomore release "What You Don't See". The album is short, at just around 30 minutes but that is not a flaw, keep this in mind. At first I was a little disappointed by the run time but after giving it a few listens I was satisfied with the length. There is no BS on this record, no unnecessary slow, or prolonged parts; everything flows extremely well. It is a very high energy album and for being a pop punk release it seems exceptionally pissed off; I like it. There are some real good riffs on this album which is always fun to listen to but I found that the real "beauty" was in the way the whole band sounded on the songs. All the instruments and voices were very clear and I felt the overall sound of the album was great if not perfect. One criticism I read was that the bass was too loud, but I did not have an issue. On the contrary I felt the bass was easily heard and complimented the soaring guitars wonderfully. The vocalist, Parker Cannon (great name) has grown up since their last release and you can here it in his voice. He doesn't sound like a little boy but has assertion in the lines he spits at you. I felt the singing was also great for the genre, but at times it seemed like it was buried by the instruments; just my take. // 10

Lyrics: The Warped Tour scene of music tends to have the same run of the mill lyrics: Break-ups, hating someone, feeling alone, being in a band etc. The Story So Far are not reinventing the wheel with the lyrical ideas but the way the lyrics are presented have always been one of the hallmarks of this band for me at least. This band knows how to write an extremely catchy chorus as well as meaningful lyrics. The Story So Far is one of those bands that writes about real things about themselves and their lives. Now whether you think that is pretentious or not is up to you but, I feel that helps someone enjoy a band more, especially if you can relate to the lyrics. There are lyrics about friendships gone awry, and being in a touring band, but the thing that stands out to me is the overwhelming sense of honesty. There is no pussyfooting around how Parker Cannon feels, and that is why I enjoyed this band and record so much. No romanticism, or dramatization, just raw feelings and emotions on how rough life can be on and off the road. Friends they rarely see, relationships that could not work, it feels very organic. It is almost as if we are the bands diary, this album feels very personal. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a fan of this band and for that I do have bias, but at the same time I strongly feel that this is one of the best albums I'm going to listen to this year. I really did feel that the music was interesting and the ideas solid and basically original (haha). The lyrics flow very well and the melodies are unparalleled in the genre. This band knows how to write a song and demonstrates this wonderfully on this album. I strongly suggest buying this and supporting this band as they are on the rise. GO BUY IT, you will not regret this one This is an album without flaws, in my honest opinion at least. If this were lost I would run to the store and buy it again. It is a tad short but that means there is no room for filler adn it is clear to see. Peace.

// 10