Young For Eternity Review

Released: Jul 4, 2005
Label: WEA
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk Rock
Musically, the album is essentially a microcosm of a handful of great rock bands of the last 15 years or so.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 9.2
 9.1
 9.2
Young For Eternity Reviewed by: El Weasle, on september 26, 2005

Sound: This album is brilliant. The first song is a masterpiece, and the other tracks certainly don't fall short. To start with, the album is excellently produced, with a sound that suits every song. The songs themselves are extremely catchy. There is good variation aswell, blending from a sort of hard rock style to a quiet acoustic one and then a chuggy sound and then. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are well thought out, and fit in well with the songs, sung in different styles. Many of the words are sung by not only the guitarist Bill Lunn but bassist Charlotte Cooper, both of their voices complement each other exquisitely. Most of the lyrics are about being a teenager, staying young or meeting girls, as far as I can interpret. For example, the song Young for Eternity has lyrics about being bitten by Dracula and staying young forever. I think. On the whole the lyrics are sung with a unique style that blends in perfectly with the instruments at every note. I feel the lrics work really well with the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Buying this album was a brilliant decision. I've listened to it countless times and the songs haven't lost any of their original zest. The Subways are definitely one of my favourite bands at the moment, and they will be for a long time. Chances are they'll be high on your list too. I think the Subways have quite a unique sound, so I find it difficult to try to compare them to other bands. It has to be said, however, that Billy Lunn's voice does bear resemblance to Liam Gallagher's, but it works well in the songs, and fits in perfectly with the voice of Charlotte Cooper's. My favourite song from the album has to be the stunning 'With You', which was my favourite from the first time I heard it. 'Oh Yeah', 'Mary and 'She Sun' come close to it on my list. The worst songs on the album in my opinion are 'Holiday' and 'Young for Eternity'. But they are still awesome songs, which says something about teh rest of the album. I love everything about this album, from the harmonies to the chuggy guitar to the soothing quiet songs, from track 1 to track 12. There's a bonus track too, if you're willing to fast forward 10 minutes past the end of the last track. It's worth it though. If I lost this or it was eaten by Monkeys, I would buy it again as soon as possible. It's a brilliant album packed with brilliant songs that are brilliant to listen to and play along to. Brilliant! // 10

Young For Eternity Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Sound: You can tell what sound these guys were going for right off the mark! They wamted to make punk album. No not a punk album like Blink or Green Day where the only thing punk about them are their looks. I hate bands that call themselves punk but the only have that title through a nose ring, died black hair and the belt round their arse. Far too many bands and adoring public have lost sight of what punk should be. Punk used to be a sound. Does anybody remember a band called Sex Pistols. Well that is it! That is punk - rebellling, fingers up to anyone that found you offensive. Coldplay could dress up like a "punk" and call themselves a punk band unfortunately however even The Subways aren't that. But their sound is close. There's actually a pop element to the songs. But another way of telling you this is punk album is that the bassline is ampted up the guitar has a bang bang bang style and drums bangs on. It not great music but punk doesn't have to be to have a great sound. // 8

Lyrics: I kinda said it all in my b--ch slap of those punk bands that aren't real punk. The compliance with the music with the lyrics are excellent they really go together. I think we have a great songwriter on our they seem so simple bbut you wouldn't think them he offers lyrics that teenager might wanna air guitar sing to while keeeping away from a singalong album miss Lavigne's Let Go. Again the singers isn't great but it punk name great punk singer. // 8

Overall Impression: This album really works and you need to hear it I took an intant like to it. An band you could compares these to would be The Vines. If you have listened to Rock And Roll Queen you'll know how good this band are another athem would Oh Yeah and Young For Eternity will have glued to listening to the album. A must for anybody that thinks Green Day, Blink, Good Charlotte etc. s--t and have the same feeling as me toward punk. // 8

Young For Eternity Reviewed by: top_hat_rocker1, on october 27, 2005

Sound: The sounds on this album, vary from, grunge (Young For Eternity), punk (I Wanna Hear What...), acoustic (No Goodbyes) and in some cases a sort of prog on punk element (Lines Of Light), the prog element most probably comes from singer billy lunn's favourite band being Mew. The opener, 'I Want To Hear What You've Got To Say' is one of my favourites, and features a great acoustic on electric sound, the singers voice is very good on this song, an the bassist (Charlotte Cooper, Billy's girlfriend) also sings on this track, her voice is not as gud as her boyfriends, and some people may dislike her singin, but I find she sings with a lot of passion, which shows on this song, and 'Oh Yeah'. Another highlight is 'Rock N Roll Queen', a 3 chord, grunge rocker, reminiscent of Nirvana, because of the quiet verse loud chorus, its an enjoyable song and was a single. 'Mary' is a light hearted acoustic strummed song about teenage love, it is one of the few with a solo, don't expect any Van Halen style soloing though, it's a simple solo, a simple song, but that just adds to its charm, this song also features the electric on acoustic sound this band use so well. 'Lines Of Light', 'She Sun' and 'Somewhere' all feature the singer sort of droning his words in a muffled way, which didn't appeal to me at first, but sonically those songs are all fine, my favourite being 'Somewhere' with its anthemic qualities. Overall this sound is varied and well produced, there are no pointless instrumentals, orchestra parts or heavy metal riffage, just a great punk/grunge sound. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically this album will not set your world alight, dont buy this album in the hope your buying some dylan style, socially minded lyrical wizardry, beacuse youll be bitterly disapointed. Instaed if you want lyrics you can relate to, that are simple but effective, and best of all fit perfectly with the music then look no further. I can't quite make out the lyrics of some songs, but the ones I can, I enjoyed greatly. The best song lyrically was 'Oh Yeah' about being young and not wanting to grow up, 'Young For Eternity' is also about the same topic, I think. A lot of songs are about young love, and the relationship between the singer and bassist, and some songs, like 'Rock N Roll Queen' are just one line choruses, but that doesn't bother me, and if it doesn't bother you, you should buy this album. On the final song, 'Somewhere' (excluding hidden track 'At 1am') it finashes with a sing a long chant of na na-na's (a beatles influence possibly) which just adds to the anthemic sound of this song. // 8

Overall Impression: As this is their debut, and they're young, they should get better and mature into a more lyrically deep band. However right now, they do what they do very well and appeal to me and many others who want believe that punk isnt bands like simple plan or good charlotte, if you feel like that, try this album. Or you could download these select few, that I think are the best 'I Want To Hear What You've Got To Say', 'Oh Yeah', 'With You' and 'Mary' although I think you should buy the album 'cause it's worth it and if noone buys it they might not release another. If you like bands like The Libertines, Nine Black Alps, Nirvana or Bloc Party, try this album. If this album was stolen I would be ok because I've got them on my computer, but if I didn't have that I would definitely buy it again as it is a vital part of my CD collection. Buy this album now, I predict big things for them in the future. // 9

Young For Eternity Reviewed by: Trip272, on november 29, 2005

Sound: There is no denying the original sound on this record. I really can't find anything wrong with it. The use of two singers is beautifully done and Mary's vocals sound as amazing as she looks. With a variety of different sounds, The Subway's 'Young For Eternity' still maintains a solid sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are well done. Both of the singers have really high vocal ranges and make good use of that. Having two singers gives them a clear advantage and can make for interesting lyric choices. For example, in the song 'I want to hear what you have got to say' the song is song from two different perspectives. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums of the year and certainly has intrigued me the most. I really fell in love with this album. I hope that they achieve the commercial success they deserve. I would definitely buy it again if it was lost or stolen. // 10

Young For Eternity Reviewed by: randomkiller, on february 02, 2006

Sound: This is one of the best start a band could wish for. Demand is very high for Young For Eternity, 'cause it's a great CD. The Subways are best British rock band since Bloc Party, and are just oging to get better. Great guitarists, amazing lyrics, the lead singer has a great voice, and these guys are just one word. Amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrcs are great, make a lot of sense, but the only problem is the whole album kinda talks about the same thing. It gets annoying sometimes, but its still a great album, good lyrics too. // 8

Overall Impression: The best tracks are Young For Eternity, Rock & Roll Queen, and Holiday. All the tracks are great though. It really does make a good impression for them, and makes the bar even higher for British rock bands now, I will keep this CD like my child, protect it with my life, it's a great CD, so get it now. // 10

More The Subways reviews rating latest review