Gods Of The Earth Review

the sword: Gods Of The Earth
Release Date: Mar 24, 2008
Genres: Heavy Metal, Stoner Metal, Doom Metal
Label: Kemado
The riffs are huge, the rhythms are sneaky and brutal, and the "guitarmonies" are effortless, due with little doubt to the band's epic touring schedule.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.2
 9.4
Gods Of The Earth Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2008

Sound: The Sword makes you raise your devil horns once again with their new album, Gods Of The Earth. Following a successful first album, The Sword has tried to branch out a little bit with their new stuff. They have added a little bit of an early Bay Area flavor to the riffs, along with heavier drums and more speed. This is a unexpected surprise that accompanies the band's brand of Texan Sabbath-era stoner metal. Unlike the last record they have made the album a little more modern with the guitar work, adding more technicality to the solos and more complexity to the riffs and spliffs. You can also hear a Mastodon influence in some of the intros and bridges. I also enjoyed the exiting bass lines thrown in for good measure. Overall it is an amazing sound that greets the true metal head's ears with pleasure and comfort. // 9

Lyrics: Once again most of the lyrics are about wizardry, monsters, battles, swords, barbarians, and the elements. It fits the sludgy brand of stoner metal very well, giving it depth and a feeling of an ancient battlefield. John Cronise hasn't changed vocally whatsoever, and for some that is a turn off. I have no problem with his Ozzy styled hum, but for others, it drowns out the music and makes it unbearable. Obviously he is not the greatest singer, but the fact that he is playing the guitar at the same time makes that okay. // 8

Overall Impression: If I had to compare this to another album I would say it sounds like the later Black Sabbath's album Sabotage. The use of the acoustic guitars also adds a mid-evil feel that is hard to shake and harder to dislike. For me, the best songs are Maiden Mother & Crone, The Frost-Giant's Daughter, and The Sundering. I find the riffs to be quite choice and fresh compared to most of the albums being released this year. I have no complaints about this album because I knew what to expect. New-comers may find John Cronise's voice to be annoying, but for the veterans who have already heard the band, they know what to expect. If this album were stolen or lost I would definitely go pick up a new one. I suggest you go pillage your local record store and snatch Gods Of The Earth up right now. // 10

Gods Of The Earth Reviewed by: wbjackson517, on september 18, 2012

Sound: The Sword are a band from Austin, TX and they make great retro metal? I don't exactly know what to call them. They are heavily influenced by Ozzy-era Sabbath/Led Zeppelin/Thin Lizzy. This is their second album and they definitely are in no danger of the sophomore slump. The album is called "Gods Of The Earth" and they reference this a lot throughout the album. This is a new band putting their twist on classic metal and I would have to say they are probably one of the best bands pulling it off. There are plenty of kick a** riffs and the lyrical content fits nicely with the music. // 9

Lyrics: JD Cronise definitely found his groove on this album. Everything he has written and sings fits the music and goes exactly with the album title. One of my personal faves is "How Heavy This Axe". Very upbeat and catchy. The Sword dress like they are in the 70's, they play vintage Les Pauls and the production sounds like the technology they had 35 years ago. Overall I love the sound. // 9

Overall Impression: I feel like "Warp Riders" was written better and the production has way better quality than this album. I love every song on "Gods", even the instrumentals. My only complaint that the cymbals seem to over power the songs quite a bit. But otherwise this is a great album. Check these guys out. They absolutely rock! // 9

More The Sword reviews rating latest review