Say I Am You Review

the weepies: Say I Am You
Release Date: Mar 7, 2006
Label: Nettwerk
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
Say I Am You is not groundbreaking music, but the Weepies know what they're doing, and they know how they feel, and they're not afraid to sing about it.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Say I Am You Reviewed by: patterson_22, on july 09, 2007

Sound: A folk-rock album with a fresh sound. The two star members, Deb Talan and Steve Tannen, were big fans of each other and began writing immediately after meeting at Club Passim in Boston. They switch off lead vocals from song to song. Mainly acoustic. Talan's voice is very calm, smooth and mellow. A refreshing break from pop sound today in music. Very unique. Has an almost raw sound despite being very well produced with great harmonies. A few of the songs have been featured on TV shows such as "Grey's Anatomy" and "The OC" as well as the movie "Friends With Money." Songs "Take It From Me," "Gotta Have You," "Citywide Rodeo," "Painting By Chigall" and "Slow Pony Home" are great songs. The incredible supporting cast includes guitarist Meghan Toohey (Lori McKenna), drummer Frank Lenz (Pedro The Lion) bass players Whynot Jansveld (Gavin DeGraw, Crash Test Dummies), Malcom Gold (Jim Weider, Morgan Hertiage) and Milo Decruz (Ryan Adams, Duncan Sheik). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very solid. The song's by Talan are much stronger lyrically and seem to flow better in my opinion. The lyrics weave into the song beautifully. "Take It From Me," "Painting By Chigall," "Gotta Have You" and "Living In Twilight" are lyrically the strongest, but all are well done. Very confident and meditative. // 9

Overall Impression: The whole album is very strong overall. I love Talan's voice, but I'm not as crazy about Tannen's. The songs flow so well and are so unique. To use a corny analogy, this album has the ingredience of folk music with pop rock as the spices on top of a great recipe. This album is truely golden and is worth taking a peak. // 10

Comments