Give 'Em All A Big Fat Lip Review

the whigs: Give 'Em All A Big Fat Lip
Released: 2005
Genre: Indie Rock, Garage Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: ATO Records
Give 'Em All A Big Fat Lip is the debut album from The Whigs. It was originally released independently, and was re-released by ATO Records after they signed the group.
 7.9
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Give 'Em All A Big Fat Lip Reviewed by: allmangibson, on december 26, 2008

Sound: Give 'Em All A Big Fat Lip is The Whigs' first album to be released. They are made up of Parker Gispert(Lead Vocals, Guitarist), Hank Sullivant(Bassist, later Tim Deaux in their second album), and Julian Dorio(Drummer). Garage Rock is the perfect word to define their sound. Their sound makes me think they would have a music video in a garage. They are a little bit different than most bands because Parker plays the rythym parts of the song and the bassist in this album plays the melody. Their songs are filled with beefy power chords and really simple guitar parts. But they had some cool sound effects like synthesizer type stuff behind the drummer and the bassist. I listened to this music a lot this summer to fall asleep because it completely cleared my mind and put me in a trance. This CD has a pretty interesting story in how it was made. The band members bought recording equipment on Ebay to make the album in an empty frat house in the middle of the summer. Then they resold the equipment to balance out the costs. It was sold independently in 2005 and eventually put out by ATO Records in 2006 when the Whigs were signed! I give it an 7 in sound because their second album is better personally and some of these songs sounded kind of similar. // 7

Lyrics: If you pay attention to the lyrics of some of these songs, they can get pretty deep. I really like the lyrics in the songs. With a name Give 'Em All A Big Fat Lip, you have to think that the lyrics in that song that the album was named after has to have some pretty creative lyrics, right? The lyrics really do go well with the songs. The song Don't Talk Anymore comes to mind. It's a slower song with a really simple guitar part and pretty neat bass riff. Parker sings softly then the chorus gets a little different and he says you don't talk anymore, don't talk anymore. I feel the vibe they were getting. Parker Gispert really does have some original singing skills. He has a rough, scratchy kinda voice that gets smooth at the perfect times of the songs. It sounds really good with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: I can't really think of any bands to compare their sound to. It's pretty unique. I guess you could say they sound like the bands they toured with during the touring to promote this album: The Drive By Truckers, Jason Lowenstein, Elf Power, and Franz Ferdinand. My favorite songs from this album were Technology, Violet Furs, All My Banks, and O.K. Alright. The Thing I love most about their songs is that they are smooth and rough at the same time. You really need to listen to this album to know what I'm talking about. But if your going to judge this band, don't judge them based on this album. Look at their second album Mission Control. I will write a review for this soon. The only thing I might hate is that some of their songs can sound similar. It it were stolen, I might buy it again. I might as well get it. But I definetly prefer their second album. // 8

More The Whigs reviews rating latest review