Mission Control Review

the whigs: Mission Control
Released: Jan 22, 2008
Genre: Garage Rock
Label: ATO Records
"Mission Control" is the second full-length album by Athens, Georgia-based garage rock band The Whigs.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Mission Control Reviewed by: allmangibson, on december 26, 2008

Sound: Mission Control is definitely one of my favorite albums. The sound is pretty unique and modern but I love it. Their use of synthesizers and bass is amazing. The guitarist(Parker Gispert) plays fat beefy power chords all over the fretboard on an old Gibson L6 most of his songs while the bassist(Tim Deaux) plays sweet melodic riffs in the background. The drummer(Julian Dorio) was given the Esky award by Esquire Magazine in March 2007 for "Best Drummer" which says enough about him. Their sound is great to fall asleep too or jump around too. Tim Deaux has his debut for the Whigs in this album. The bassist before(Hank Sullivant) left to tour with M.G.M.T. Mission Control. This album features a song with a lap steel guitar, synthesizers, and all sorts of cool effects. // 10

Lyrics: Parker Gispert is a very talented singer. His lyrics are really catchy and I find myself singing "Right Hand On My Heart" and "Like A Vibration" often. I get goosebumps often when I listen to Parker when his voice gets softer during songs like "Sleep Sunshine". There is a break in that song and everything stops, then he says sleep, sleep, sunshine. I have fallen asleep on countless occasions during that part this summer. It's magical. I don't know what to say. The more I think about it, the more I can't speak. I can only type this. You need to listen to Parker's scratchy at the perfect time, soft at the perfect times, voice. It's perfect // 10

Overall Impression: It goes way beyond other albums and artists. My favorite songs are every song on this album. The most famous ones are "Right Hand On My Heart" which was featured on the David Letterman show, "Need You, Need You" which was featured in the game "Pure", and "Already Young", which was featured on the Jimmy Kimmel show. I also really like "Production City", "Mission Control", and "Like A Vibration. I love everything about this album. I would buy it again if it were stolen for sure(You could've guessed that). Next time I get the chance, I'm buying the best seats I can to see them. They Rock!! // 10

More The Whigs reviews rating latest review