Deceiver Review

8.4
 7.8
 8.9
Deceiver Reviewed by: b_walls, on april 26, 2012

Sound: In my personal opinion, the instruments are ground breaking. The guitar work is never the same and not only creative but catchy. Tony and Zach's skills are ridiculous and they both mesh so well. The one thing I love the most is that the breakdowns are never the same, instead of the repetitive open chugs you see in most Core bands. You have songs like "Hounds Of Anubis" where Telle screams "You have failed me for the last time" then the breakdown just drives which is rare to see. In addition, the breakdown in "2012" is just extremely catchy, it instantly gets stuck in your head all day. The only song that I felt lacked on the album was "We Know Who You Are" Epic beginning but the ending to the song just dragged out way too much. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics is the most lacking part of the album. It is more "in your face" and "everyone screwed me over, now I want revenge" type lyrics which goes with the title of the album but it gets repetitive with lyrics like "we won't follow the deceiver", "this is what you get for f--cking with me", "you f--cking fake". I will say that I give props to Telle for his lyrics in "Consider It Mutual". "If friends are friends for never, then we were never friends at all" which is rumored to be an attack towards Greeley Estates. It's probably the best comeback I have ever seen in a song. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I would have to say that The Word Alive has a lot of potential. I'm sure someone would disagree with me but in my opinion they are the most unique (Instrumentally) Metalcore band out there right now. Telle isn't the best singer that I ever heard in this genre but he works well in the band, though I wouldn't have mind to see what they would have sound like with Craig Mabbit. My favorite songs on "Deceiver" would have to be "2012" for its brutal, yet catchy rifts, "Epiphany" for its overall song structure and "The Wretched" because of the amazing breakdown with David from We Came As Romans. // 9

Deceiver Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 30, 2010

Sound: One great thing about the post-hardcore scene is that it's extremely similar in a way to professional sports as musicians can float between different bands. The average person would think such constant change could destroy a collective group, but for this particular genre, it has been known to improve artists and their talents and increase their exposure. For most cases, in a positive way. Exhibit A is The Word Alive. Having issued an extended play in 2009, the group was led by frontman Tyler "Telle" Smith to write an oddly impressive debut. His talent and experience (former member of acts like Emarosa, In Fear And Faith and Greeley Estates) is illuminated throughout the disc. But like most metalcore acts, the Phoenix six-piece can't seem to grasp the branch called "unique". Opening tracks "The Hounds Of Anubis" and "Epiphany" swirl spiderweb guitar licks with carnivorous vocals and a menacing kick behind the drum kit but don't leave listeners searching for their teeth after being kicked in the mouth. Part of the reason could be due to producer Andrew Wade's efforts as though Deceiver has a tough exterior, its innards are lined with experimental rock melodies giving it a pop feel semi-hardcore fans can stomach. Stitching together the fluffiness inside is a raw power and sound The Word Alive perspire without any awkwardness. // 8

Lyrics: Smith's vocal strength is outlined with a highlighter that is The Word Alive's first EP Empire. The musician's gut-wrenched scream tried to dance with the bands brash anthem-sized sound but tripped, no matter how hard it tried. On Deceiver, it has learnt from its mistakes as Smith's voice is wrapped in piercing breakdowns that propel his voice to the center of your attention ("Like Father Like Son", "We Know Who You Are"). The clean vocals on the otherhand appear forced (cue "Consider It Mutual" and "2012") and when tied with simple lyrics, it doesn't scratch your ears or your brain the way it should as it staples the "just-another-metalcore" label to the group. // 7

Overall Impression: Metalcore bands are sprouting from various cities across the United States and beyond but with Deceiver, The Word Alive show they're not another simplistic Vans Warped Tour attraction. Backed by experience and an undeniable collection of talent, the group have polished the beginning of their career with a shiny debut. Now they just need time to stray away from the pop metal hooks that infect the scene they hope to tear apart. // 7

- Joshua Khan (c) 2010

Deceiver Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on november 19, 2010

Sound: The Word Alive are a relative newcomer to the metalcore scene, but that doesn't make them any less capable of breaking some necks with their first major release as a unit. The band incorporates standards of the genre (uber-heavy breakdowns, sung choruses, etc.) but also add their own flairs, while making the standard stuff sound fresh. Their keyboardist adds a nice touch to the overall sound (see Hounds of Anubis or 2012) and the band isn't afraid to let the engines cool off for some slower numbers. The guitar work can be absolutely stunning, shifting from breakdowns to extreme technical flourishes a la August Burns Red or We Came As Romans. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, the band isn't terrible, just not overly impressive. You have your standard metalcore fare in the breakdowns (ex. 2012 breakdown, the vocalist rasps "you get what you deserve for f*&%ing with me"). The lyrics aren't absolutely terrible, but it's most certainly not something to bring the band down any. // 7

Overall Impression: Deceiver is an album worth checking out whether your big on Metalcore or just getting into the genre. These fellows take a fresh new spin on a genre that has been constantly loosing steam for a while now. This album is totally worth the purchase price if you can find it. // 9

Deceiver Reviewed by: IIParadoxIII, on october 24, 2011

Sound: This album hold back nothing. With they're first full album release, The Word Alive proves that they belong in the post-hardcore scene. Unlike other bands though, The Word Alive uses punishing guitar riffs like the ones found on "Epiphany", "The Hounds Of Anubis" and "We Know Who You Are". The best thing I found about this album is the fact that The Word Alive switches from head-banging metal to heart-grabbing ballads. "You're All I See", "Consider It Mutual" and "Dream Catcher" so the "softer" side of this band, but they still keep it rocking. "2012" is easily my favorite track though. Its sound is gritty and the techno breakdown is the only one of its kind. // 8

Lyrics: Telle's screaming is very brutal on this album. He mixes his highs and lows perfectly. The guitar players also sing and the balance of scream/sing is better than most other bands do. The lyrics are more on the darker side about hurt with a mix of your traditional "I'm going to prove myself". I feel like the lyrics could have been more "deep", but the singing/screaming is quite good. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a strong debut by this band. I've listened to it quite a few times and still go back to it. Sometimes bands debuts aren't quite as good as a sophomore release, but The Word Alive's debut sounds like a veteran's band best album. I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys will do on later releases. This is a great addition to anyone who loves post-hardcore's library. // 9

More The Word Alive reviews rating latest review