Life Cycles Review

8.3
 7.3
review (1) 47 comments vote for this album:
Life Cycles Reviewed by: vppark2, on august 02, 2013

Sound: The Word Alive. When I had first heard of their name, I thought to myself, "What kind of music could a band name like this play?" Immediately my first thoughts were indie, just because the indie genre has a load of band names that seem to bore me, but little did I know, this band is a metalcore act! With their sophomore release for their studio album, this album hits the spot on all ends in my mind. Now I know I may be considered a fanboy for these guys, but regardless, that still doesn't make these guys not impressive. The screams, and most importantly the singing are a lot better than on their debut album. The debut album was also incredible for me, but the singing didn't seem to have quite enough emotion for me. // 9

Lyrics: The meaning in most of the songs were pretty affectionate. The title track, "Life Cycles" I think had most of the meaning on the album. The intro starts off like this, "I'd rather die for what I believe, Than live a without meaning." Telle is able to speak these word with true emotion, as well as his screams later into the song. This song is surely a crowd pleaser, and overall an incredible performance when I saw them live opening up for Killswitch Engage last June. Overall the lyrics were good on this album, but not incredible. // 8

Overall Impression: Honestly, TWA is in their own league in the metalcore genre. They're their own band. I don't see many other bands similar to them. My utmost would definitely have to be the title track I had already mentioned called, "Life Cycles." I also love "Ambitionary" and "Evolution." The thing about this album, though, is that not one song ceases to impress. Every song has a mature sound, so that's what makes this album special. I would have liked to have seen some more softer songs, like "Astral Plane." But even softer at the same time. Maybe having an all acoustic song would be nice. But great effort from these guys once again, and I'm sure Luke Holland will be used to great advantage on their next release. TEAMTWA!

// 8