Life Review

artist: thin lizzy date: 05/31/2011 category: compact discs
thin lizzy: Life
Released: Oct 16, 1983
Genre: Hard rock, heavy metal
Label: Vertigo, Warner Bros.
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Life Reviewed by: Powerageman, on may 31, 2011

Sound: This at the time it was released was Thin Lizzy's 2nd Live album, and what a live album it is! I've always felt that this one was ajust a little better than "Live and Dangerous". Not only because of the setlist, but also the sound. It's not as raw as it was one "Live and Dangerous", and it really does an account of Thin Lizzy's history at this time. The guitar's are very crisp and clear with alot of power behind it. Also on some tracks, the band has one of two at a time, the all of old guitarists of Thin Lizzy come on for a song or 2. The bass hangs out in there and you can always here it, not always loud, but very clear. The drums are really well done. Whenever they are used, you can hear the echo in the theatre they were playing at. // 9

Lyrics: There are no new songs here. The entire setlist consisted of classics such as "jailbreak", "I'm still in love with you","waiting for an alibi", "Black Rose", And "killer on the loose". The album also consists of some songs from the new album at the time. "The sun goes down" is a very prog-rock epic, even though its only almost 7 minutes. "Thunder and lightning" starts the album and is a really great show-opener. Phil's vocals on this album are amazing. He has some points where he has the odd growls and long notes, but he hits them all prefectly. There are also 2 tracks (Angel of Death, and I think The sun goes down) where there are some over-voice of his making his voice a bit more demonic, but it works very well. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing, and underrated live album from one of the best known hard rock bands. It should also be up there with ALIVE! and Made in Japan for Hard Rock live albums. The best songs on here are probably: 1. Black Rose 2. The sun goes down 3. Thunder and lightning 4. Waiting for an alibi I really love the sound that you get on this album. You can tell that if there was anything done in the studio, it was very small changes. It was also the last album released before Thin lizzy broke up for 20-plus years, so it's kind of a "We are done but here is something that the fans can remember from our last tour." It makes it all kind of sad that Phil died, because Thin Lizzy is out touring now, but they have one of the old guitarists singing now. So, this is really a live album for any Hard rock fan. Phil Lynott R.I.P 1949-1986 // 9

More Thin Lizzy reviews rating latest review