Thunder And Lightning Review

thin lizzy: Thunder And Lightning
Release Date: 1983
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Album Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal
Thin Lizzy's final studio release, Thunder and Lightning, was their most consistent album since 1979's Black Rose.
 9.5
 9.2
 9.8
Thunder And Lightning Reviewed by: thinlizzydude, on january 09, 2006

Sound: This is a departure from the typical Thin Lizzy sound. It's a more heavy metal/hard rock collection. I have to admit, there is some really good guitar playing on this album, compliments of John Sykes. John Sykes is best known for his work with Whitesnake and Blue Murder. He added his signature sound to each band and does the same with this, his only Lynott Thin Lizzy album. His style had a big impact on Thin Lizzy's sound, that's where the warning comes into play. If you're a fan of the "Jailbreak," "Johnny The Fox" and "Bad Reputation" era albums, you may be disappointed by the heavier direction the band took on this album. John Sykes is a personal favorite of mine, so I really like it. Too bad this was Thin Lizzy's last album. // 9

Lyrics: I loved the lyrics of this song it was somthing diffrent for Phil and it wasent like you cannot hear the words in the songs unlike other thrash albums whare you can`t really hear the singer and what he is singing from the guitars but on thunder and lightning you can hear the words and the song "The Sun Goes Down" really makes a big impression of Phils singing skills and I love that. // 8

Overall Impression: It's hard to believe this album came out in 1983, it's ageless. Thunder & Lightning and Cold Sweat, two of the best songs in Thin Lizzy's canon. This is Lizzy at their heaviest and at their song writing peak, The Sun Goes Down is a classic, but all are memorable Holy War, this is the one and bad habits all could have been hits. I think this was a great album to finish it on and the songs leave you waiting for more and more and the most inpressive part of this album is the guitar playing it is so technical and quick John Sykes has really given this album an edge but I would have liked to have seen John Sykes and Gary Moore on this album for they are both technical and fast but I know john sykes is random noise and Gary isnt but I would have loved to seen them play together still Thin Lizzy isent Thin Lizzy without Scott Gorham. But I would highly recomend this album for its intensity and speed. // 8

Thunder And Lightning Reviewed by: kjb, on january 23, 2006

Sound: Thin Lizzy. Breath taking. Here in Ireland, they're Gods. Phil Lynotts awe as a frontman, Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson (aka Robbo), Gary Moore, Eric Bell, Snony White and John Skyes with electrifying guitar riffs and solos and Brian Downey bashin away in the back. Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson played on this album. Toni Visconti, the dude who produced the album, really added to it by 'cleaning up the sound'. Hats off to everyone on that team. // 10

Lyrics: Phil Lynott loved to ryhme words. And my God he did just that. Mostly telling stories, the lyrics are superb. He really makes you think during listening. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Thin Lizzy at there peak and best. They can rock like anything I've ever seen. Do what ever you can to get this album! If your just getting into Lizzy get this. Best album ever but people think The Who - Live At Leeds is just as good. It's nearly but Live And Dangerous always wins. // 10

More Thin Lizzy reviews rating latest review