Third Eye Blind Review

9.2
 9.3
 9.1
Third Eye Blind Reviewed by: Msu_Man04, on february 26, 2009

Sound: Third Eye Blind, in my opinion, has the defining sound for 90's Alternative Rock. Crisp, distorted-yet-not-diluted guitars, beautiful and energetic singing, and just plain fantastic artistry. Kevin Cadogan (lead guitarist, at the time) is one of my favorite guitarists ever. He has his own defining style, and thinks completely outside the box. His alternate-tuning riffs are simply great, such as in "Narcolepsy", "Graduate", and "Losing A Whole Year". Stephan Jenkins' voice has a wonderful range, and is a beautiful voice. Arion Salazar (bassist, at the time) has simple, great basslines. He knew when to keep it simple (the breakdown in "Jumper," for example) and knew when he really could shine with the instrument (such as at the end of "Thanks A Lot." Brad Hargreaves' drumming is not the best ever heard, but he's a great drummer and can set a wonderful mood for a song (such as the jungle-esque mood in "Jumper"). Third Eye Blind can very easily be described as a great "summer band." The music is wonderful to listen to in the summertime, with friends, in the sun. // 10

Lyrics: Stephan Jenkins' lyrics are often lost in the wonder and feel-good tone of the music. Much of these lyrics deal with depression, drugs, and suicide. But he's a fantastic songwriter, and a wonderful vocalist. He does not tread in the tongue-in-cheek-ness of "i love you" songs, yet doesn't jump off the building with songs about wanting to kill himself. When one truly listens to the lyrics and can try to convey the emotion that is held in the songs, it makes this album all the better. "Motorcycle Drive-By" is perhaps the best song on the album lyrically, or "Jumper", though it is my opinion. // 9

Overall Impression: Song-By-Song: 01. "Losing A Whole Year" - Perhaps not the greatest song on the album, but the quiet intro riff almost puts you in a wondrous mood. A good introduction into 3EB's musical style, in general. 02. "Narcolepsy" - A shining example of Kevin Cadogan's guitar playing, the intro riff is almost piano-like in how it shimmers. Stephan pulled off some great lyrics here (about, of course, narcolepsy), and it's a nice energetic song when it kicks in. 03. "Semi-Charmed Life" - One of the defining rock songs of the 90's, 3EB keeps it simple here. A simple G-D-C chord progression through the whole song, with Stephan's drug and sex-based lyrics, made quite a splash on the country. A fantastic song. 04. "Jumper" - My favorite song on the album. Immediately recognizable for the chorus singing, "I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend," Jumper is about as simple as it sounds, lyrically. The greatest part of this song would be the breakdown. Arion Salazar and Brad Hargreaves pull off an amazing jungle-like sound here, while Kevin lightly plays the solo riff. Stephan then joins in with ripping rhythm guitar, and the whole song explodes into a blur of wonder (all at the cue of Stephan's scream). Amazing. 05. "Graduate" - Another great example of Kevin's unique guitar playing, "Graduate" reminds me slightly of "Narcolepsy" in song structure. Stephan's slightly more aggressive lyrics and singing keep the song going guitar hard the whole way through. The guitar and bass stay balanced as Kevin leads into a great wah-filled solo, and breaks into a bass-and-drum breakdown, then the band joins back in. 06. "How's It Going To Be" - The first slower, acoustic song on the album. Very laid-back and relaxing. Stephan's lyrics and singing really shine here. Towards the end of the song, it becomes much louder and distorted, and Stephan really kicks the vocals up a notch, to the point where it almost sounds like he's crying. Very sad, but very great song. 07. "Thanks A Lot" - What I would call a quote-on-quote "typical 3EB song." Kevin's guitar playing shows through again for the whole song, as does Arion's bass and Stephan's vocals. The song pulls a trick on you; towards the end, you think the song's over, right until you hear Arion riffing on the bass, followed by one of Stephan's better screams, and the band joins in for a no-vocals finish to the song. 08. "Burning Man" - My least favorite song. I do not care for the main riff, or the sound of the song in general. It really doesn't stray far from their [i]sound[/i], but the verses are very light and beach-party-like. A mediocre product of the great album. 09. "London" - A great, short, hard-hitting song. The guitar and bass stay fast and punk-like for the whole song. A great song to get out on the road with. The song's interludes are strange-sounding, but I've grown accustomed to them, and learn to love them. 10. "Good For You" - This song starts right out heavy and simple. The verses are very eerie, and actually, the whole song is, too. A darker effort, but still a great one. 11. "I Want You" - Another light, acoustic song. Perhaps I lied a little earlier when I said that Stephan doesn't go tongue-in-cheek with the lyrics, because he sort of does here. But strangely, I do not mind it. A great song to relax too. 12. "The Background" - Yet another example of Kevin's great playing, this song starts off light, but then bursts into its hard glory halfway through. Each instrument shines through here, and it helps to cool you down for the album's ending. 13. "Motorcycle Drive-By" - A close call, here, for my favorite song. A simple song, acoustic at first, describing Stephan's long-distance relationship with a girl in New York. Fantastic lyrics, describing how it couldn't work, and he had to return to California. Stephan's vocals truly shine in this song. The whole song has a great feeling of speed, wonder, and awe. A truly beautiful song. 14. "God Of Wine" - However, THIS is THE most beautiful song on the album. Soft all the way through, even when it picks up, it describes alcoholism. Kevin's guitar technique, rather than his soloing, shows through here. His attitude and mindset. The whole band truly seems to come together for this last bang to the album. To sum it up, I would recommend this album to absolutely any and everyone. A truly great display of guitar playing, singing, bass playing, and drumming. To me, the definitive album of the 90's. I would buy this album for $100, if it were stolen from me. $200, even. // 10

Third Eye Blind Reviewed by: iamjosh, on august 13, 2004

Sound: This is just a good CD. You won't find too many "innovations" here, just good, catchy music. Take Semi-Charmed Life, for example. A kickass song that's just your standard three chord rock in G. It's a straight rock record that's not afraid to go hard ("Graduate," "London") or soft ("How's It Going To Be," "I Want You"). Usually a reconsilliation of the two works best, as in my personal favorite track, "The Background" that creates the atmosphere of a misty ocean in open D. // 8

Lyrics: Stephen Jenkins is quite a singer. He does put forth a wide range of emotions as he croons, sings, wails and screams, sometimes within the space of a single song. "Narcolepsy" features a rather impressive falsetto. Lyrically, he's actually quite good on this album much better than his next two efforts, for sure (remember "10 Days Late?" Isn't that disgusting?) So I guess this is a perfect score, eh? // 10

Overall Impression: Third Eye Blind's first CD is a good buy more solid musically and more creative lyrically than their next efforts. Though the 3EB is often decried by your rabid antipop elitits, I challenge any of them to come up with a valid reason why Third Eye Blind is an invalid, meaningless group. The fact is, they're a band with real talent and creativity, and it shines the most on this album. // 10

Third Eye Blind Reviewed by: Skrltra, on may 10, 2004

Sound: This is thier first self titled cd. Overall it doesn't have the amazing quality of out of the vein, but it is still damn good. It features songs such as Semi-charmed kind of life, Jumper, and God of wine. If you have listened to Out of the Vein and like the song Self rigeous God of wine will blow you away. Like I said it is thier first cd and they are still working out their sound. 4 for sound. // 8

Lyrics: I love their lyrics. They are one of the only bands I know of that can apply a dirty theme to Semi-charmed kind of life without anyone noticing. They also have the ability to get serious and talk about thinks that are quite emotion. Five for lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Being their first album and everything I personally think it was a great start. I personally don't like alot of the songs on the album but overall it is definately worth running out and buying. It is not the quality of out of the vein but still very good overall. // 8

Third Eye Blind Reviewed by: breakdancer4jah, on february 24, 2006

Sound: This is Third Eye Blind's first CD, which is self-titled. It was was released in the early '90s. It has a pop-rock feel to it, but it is definatly more rock based than many other popular '90s groups, such as REM or Filter. Third Eye Blind are very talented musicians. The 4 members of the band all play several different instruments on the album. The guitars are frequently tuned to open D, DADGAD, etc. adding a rare, yet pleasing flavor. This CD has numerous hits, from "Losing A Whole Year" to "Graduate" to one of the biggest songs in the '90s, "How's It Gonna Be." But you will also fall in love with the heavier "London" and the peaceful and graceful "I Want You." The CD ends on "God Of Wine," a showcase of Third Eye Blind's true talent. And for you who are conserned about recording quality, it sounds very crisp and full. // 9

Lyrics: Third Eye Blind are great at mixing up songs that are fun, to serious, to emotional. Third Eye Blind is great music for chilling with friends, or at a party. The lyrics don't demand your attention, but some consideration can be enlightening. The lead singer also plays guitar, and he is very good at keeping his voice unique from the insturments. His voice is impressive, and his signature is a certain whine that adds character. It also is one of those things were when you hear it you know it is him. He sings a good balance of everything from soft singing, to basicly talking, and even some screams. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my favorite '90s pop album. It is now considered alternative, but I do not name it along with Nirvana and the Chili Peppers. I like it much better than REM, Filter, Collective Soul, Candlebox, etc. "Losing A Whole Year" is a great hit that your friends will know, but it isn't overplayed. "Gradute" is a great song, very fun to listen to or cover at a show. "How's It Gonna Be" is kind of worn out because of being overplayed so much. But I find it is the only song on the album I skip. If you are a musician, be sure to get this CD and learn the songs on it, they make for wonderful covers. Most people will know them and sing along. Also, the songs sound amazing and aren't too hard to play if you are a decent musician. This is a CD I always keep close, I love it! // 10

Third Eye Blind Reviewed by: jtalep, on january 08, 2009

Sound: From start to finish this is one of the most competent albums I have ever listened to. It's exiting and has so much variation, the album is like a 13 track anthem to life. Stephan Jenkins voice is so brilliant, and his vocal range is staggering. Stand out track, or at least one of them, is 'Narcolepsy', which begins as a slow soulful track, before errupting into a pop punk rock classic, with a driving beat, before breaking down again at the end. Every track on this album could be a #1 single, it's just that damn brilliant. 'The Background' is a song with so much maturity, the kind you would find on a bands seventh album, not their first. 'Motorcycle Drive By' is another acoustic track with a Third Eye Blind slant, in that it erupts into this another anthemic tune half way through. Pure brilliance. // 10

Lyrics: What can I say? Heartfelt, passionate, meaningful, and sang with a sincere believability. They aren't the immediate simple lyrics you might find on a Fall Out Boy album, they're lyrics that have to be thought about, built on many levels. They may not feel like they apply to you at first, but when you understand them a bit better, they become more and more personal to you. // 10

Overall Impression: This for me is like a 'best of' because for me, this is the best album Third Eye Blind have put out, despite it being their first. It's classic after classic, and should be given a lot more credit. What's even more incredible is that this album is now nearly 12 years old, and still sounds modern and fresh. That is the sign of a band who can write songs. // 10

More Third Eye Blind reviews rating latest review