Short Strut To The Brassy Front Review

Label: Lockjaw
Genres: Rock
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Short Strut To The Brassy Front Reviewed by: colourofanger, on february 11, 2006

Sound: This band is completely surreal. They have created a genre appealing to all alternative types but not quite enough of any one thing to be labelled. You hear a second of emo and just as you settle into the genre, it's disappeared and been replaced by a jazzy riff, a haunting ambience or an all-out rock chorus. And although this album seems to be an acquired taste, it becomes more fantastic and addictive with each listen. Liam Creamers vocals are controlled but every so slightly, and deliberately out of tune, which he manages to make sound brilliant. There is also an element of childish hyperactivity interspersed with relaxation (possibly a break for more sweeties) to this album, which make it highly listenable. Impeccable timing, polyphonic rhythms and constantly changing tempos also assure that this album is at no point a boring listen. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album, to match the music, are completely bizarre and deliberately obscure, as are the song titles. Names like "T Is For Tup Tup", "Hello rave party, Goodbye carpet" and "Too many magnetic words" provoke a listen, if nothing else does. The comprehensible lyrics are actually quite heartfelt, for example the short line, "Laugh? I nearly cried" in "Three Minute Spanish Film." There is also nostalgia here, in "Using Radars To Communicate" with the line, "We've been using these radars to communicate. And then it hit me. These summers nights make me feel like I'm ten again." Besides that though, almost all the lyrics are confusing and obviously specific to particular situations. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is unlike any other I've heard, hard to find in most shops, but an absolute must. The best moments are the opener "Three Minute Spanish Film", "Using Radars To Communicate," the softer "She Said Everyday Was A Holiday" and the amazing "Too Many Magnetic Words." The only disappointing part of the album is the very end, a "song" called "Los" which is actually 5 and a half minutes of continued guitar screech followed by about half a minute of tunefulness and then another 30 seconds of screech. So I'd recommend this album for mp3 players, to avoid the awful thing at the end. Besides that, this album is brilliant. // 9

Comments