The Art Of Breaking Review

Released: Jul 19, 2005
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Christian Rock, Rap-Metal
This album is a little better than Phenomenon, as TFK have matured and learned a little more about writing.
 8.7
 9.3
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
The Art Of Breaking Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2005

Sound: First off, they brought back the solo in several songs including a very intense one in Hand Grenade. After all the complaining of not having enough solos in today's music, I was glad that they took a step into bringing it back. The guitar work is excellent. The songwriting is great. The sound differed from phenomenon which is great. Evolution is only an improvement in a band. // 10

Lyrics: It is evident through the way trev spits his lyrics that he is an ex-rapper (the Set It Off album). His lyrics are all very deep and intense touching on subjects that not many dare to tread, such as religion. He is a very skilled vocalist with a large range which is evident on tracks like breathe you in and hurt. He also has a skilled "semi-growl" where he makes his voice "sing-growl" a pre-chorus. He only does it once in absolute but what an intro track. // 10

Overall Impression: They went from driving bass, decent guitar and great drumming to great all around. Songs like Move, Breathe You In, Absolute, and the power ballad, Hurt, are all standout tracks. I love the change from Phenomenon, but I also despise it. I loved Phenomenon, but I wanted something new too. To be honest I'm glad that they changed the sound while not straying far enough to scare old TFK fans. If this were stolen I'd track down the bastard and buy him his own copy 'cause this album deserves to be heard. They have a great learning curve going and I pray it continues. // 10

The Art Of Breaking Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 21, 2005

Sound: On this new album, TFK has changed their sound and not in a good way. Much of the amazing heavy riffs and amazing raps are almost nonexistent here, and that doesn't work very well. There are still some great heavy songs, like "Hand Grenade," "Move," "Hit The Floor," and "Absolute," but even those songs don't compare to anything from "Phenomenon." Instead we have the awkward slowness and high-pitched singing in "Slow Bleed" and "Hurt." Also, guitar solos in "Hand Grenade," "Move," "Hit The Floor" and "Go" sound awfully awkward to any long time fan. Still, on a scale of 1-10, "Phenomenon" was a 9 or 9. 5, so I would give this CD a 7 or maybe an 8. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are the one thing that's as good as ever. The first song, "Absolute," calls out to God for something true and absolute. "Move," which should be the main single, is more of TFK's party-pumping lyrics and music that you got from "Puppet" and "Rawkfist." Sadly, there is not one mention of God, Jesus, or something that shows why this album probably won't get mainstream recognition. // 8

Overall Impression: In the months before this album came out, I waited anxiously, hoping for a repeat of "Phenomenon" or maybe even something better. The morning it came out, I drove all over looking for the best deal. Sad to say, my excitement was pretty misplaced. There are good songs, like "Absolute," "Move" and "Hand Grenade," but overall, the sound has not changed for the better. Much of this CD doesn't sound like TFK at all, and that's why it's disappointing. // 6

More Thousand Foot Krutch reviews rating latest review