One-X Review

three days grace: One-X
Release Date: Jun 13, 2006
Label: Jive
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
Three Days Grace continue their accessible alt-metal attack of blunt lyrics and crunching rhythms with their sophomore effort, One-X.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.7
 8.8
 8.6
One-X Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 14, 2006

Sound: Since the band's debut release in 2003, Three Days Grace has seemed to divide audiences quite strongly, with one side proclaiming their passionate take on rock and the other testifying that the band's songs are too simplistic and mediocre. The interesting thing is that these groups are both a little bit right. The simplicity of Three Days Grace's song constructions will earn them a cushy spot on the radio playlist and some concert sing-alongs, but it will also alienate audiences seeking out music that goes somewhere different than the majority of mainstream rock bands. Fronted by Adam Gontier and backed by bassist Brad Walst, drummer Neil Sanderson, and guitarist Barry Stock, Three Days Grace offers up a collection of straightforward rock on its latest release One-X. The 12 tracks tend to project similar sounds and themes, not usually venturing into new territory or even into song arrangements. The result is often a less-than thrilling one, especially if you prefer your rock to feature a variety of dynamic guitar licks and percussive rhythms. The first track, All Over, starts out with an unusual and enticing guitar intro, complete with lingering feedback at the end. The rest of the song does not carry the same unique detail as the intro, but the Three Days Grace fans that enjoyed the debut release will likely be satisfied with its basic rock appeal. The guitar solo makes the song worth the listen, but as a beginning track, All Over doesn't really set a furious enough pace. Most of the tunes on One-X follow the same trend as the first track, featuring a promising beginning that quickly transforms into predictable, chord-based verses and choruses. With the majority of each song focusing on the chorus, all the neat little guitar licks are unfortunately brushed aside. A good example of this trend is the closing tune One which starts off with a subtle and moving intro that draws you in. But when the song abruptly moves into chorus, it loses almost all of its originality. Even with a few of the tracks featuring catchy choruses, the record as a whole just does not feel unique enough to be a memorable listen. Gontier's singing style is to be commended. He has the ability to go from a hushed, angelic tone and then transition into a growling cry. Both of these styles are effective and producer Howard Benson has created some nice harmonies to layer Gontier's main vocal line. Gontier's strong vocal performance could explain why the band has garnered the success they've had -- when you hear an infectious vocal, you might have a powerful urge to sing along, not to mention buy the record. // 7

Lyrics: What seems to be the most discouraging part of Three Days Grace's One-X is the band's predictably moody lyrics. The dark, angry lyrical content would be fine if the words didn't sound so much the same in each song. And to top it off, it too often feels like lyrics that a misanthropic teenager would write. In Gontier sings lines that will prove be the primary theme of almost every song on the record. You feel so empty; So used, so let down; If you feel so angry; So ripped off, so stepped on; You're not the only one. And as if it was the exact same song, is laid out with uncanny similarities: Sick of feeling down; You're not the only one; I'll take you by the hand; And I'll show you a world that you can understand. When you hear the same sentiment in each chorus of every song, it tends to lose the very thing that probably inspired such songs in the first place -- the passion. With all the predictability in the lyrics, it should be said that plenty of people might feel a kinship to bands that write darker, angrier lyrics. That is a powerful connection that should not be ignored. Once again, what might be one person's irritation can be another person's salvation. // 7

Overall Impression: Three Days Grace will likely still satisfy its existing fans with the latest release of One-X. It has the same accessible rock sound that does not delve too far into guitar solos and keeps the focus on the vocal element. Given the fact that Gontier does have the ability to take on the task of either a ballad or a heavier tune, it's never an unpleasing experience to hear what the band has to offer. But relying on a good vocal singing and a simple melody is just not enough to make One-X stand out from the heaps of other radio-friendly rock bands out today. If the band can push its songwriting limits and focus more on creating new, captivating guitar, bass, or drum lines, Three Days Grace would unite all those music lovers who have been so divided about its sound -- and that would amount to quite an impressive fan base. // 7

One-X Reviewed by: BFMV_OWN, on october 02, 2007

Sound: The music of Three Days Grace is great. Probably the most influencial, unique, and attracting part of the band is their singer, Adam. But their guitar, bass, and drum parts are also well done. One-X does not have many guitar solos at all(theirs 1 or 2), but it's still a great band with a melody and catchy tune in every song. 'Animal I Have Become' is a great selection and was their first single off this album. It has heavier vocals and guitar, with a darker side to it. 'Pain' is probably their most popular song of all time, and has amazing verses and choruses. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, with an awesome singer. The compilance of the lyrics with the music is simply amazing. The singer is the best part of the band and has the perfect, most unique voice for this band. The band would be almost nothing without him. The lyrics all have a meaning while looking at 'Never Too Late', 'Animal I Have Become', and 'Pain'. // 9

Overall Impression: It compares well to other artists and bands, like Breaking Benjamin. I actually think they are a higher level than them. The most impressive songs of the album are 'Animal I Have Become', 'Pain', 'Never Too Late', 'Over And Over', 'Gone Forever', and 'On My Own'. What I love about it is the vocals they are amazing, and I also love the melodies of every song. If you like this band I suggest Breaking Benjamin. // 9

One-X Reviewed by: sicfreak91, on june 15, 2006

Sound: One-X (the follow-up to Three Days Grace's debut album) is truely one of the best albums I ever heard overall. There are no boring, long, pointless, spacing filling songs at all on this ablum. Every song, from track 1 through 12, are full with meaningful vocals, power riffing ("chording" I should say), heavy bass, and beating drums. I (and I'm sure many others) love this in an ablum. This truely shows hard work and time. Simular and unsimular to the self-titled album, I'm very inpressed with thier sound. Adam's vocal's has always given me chills and the guitar riffs has influenced me to learn their songs on guitar. The drums are nothing special however and the bass is just a little too "in the backround". The guitar riffs have always been some of the easily to learn since there mainly consumed of power chords. Though, they have greatly inproved this by adding a couple solos and some "high" pitched leads, all thanks to Barry (lead guitarist) I think, ever since he joined the band. I was first impressed with there single, "Animal I Have Become" and just couldn't wait for there new album to be released so I downloaded them off Limewire. If you only heard their single, then you haven't heard anything yet. One of the heaviest, different, and one of my favorite songs off the album is "Riot". This is probably one of the most "complex" (guitar wise) songs they written. The intro and verse riff is truely amazing and just made me have to learn it on guitar. I actually added up tabbing the whole song. Although the chorus can be a bit on the boring side, its breakdown and bridge really out weighs that. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics. Well I can say they improved since the debut, but there still nothing special. However, even with the most simple lyrics, almost anyone can relate to them. I always liked, fast, screaming, metal singing but with Adam - anything he sings is just like "wow". With his voice, the lyrics are just as complex as his emotions as he sings them. I love his singing on the song, "On My Own". You just want to sing along with him. After hearing the verse the first time, I was speechless. The singing just completely brings the lyrics to life. // 8

Overall Impression: TDG is probably the very band that has gotten me into rock music. I always wondered why they seemed so special to me. One-X reveals the answer. Even if you have absolutely no like for rock I wouldn't be surprised if you thought this ablum wasn't half-bad. Almost anyone could relate and "fit" into TDG's music. If this album was stolen from me, well I wouldn't be surprised. I would let the person keep it and let them enjoy the album as I did. Three Days Grace: One-X's radio - sounding, amazing vocals, screaming guitar riffs and effects, creativity and obvious hard work has made me think this band is more likely to write a new level in popularity then other mainstream rock bands. I see a bright future for Three Days Grace ahead. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: gigson111, on july 06, 2006

Sound: When I first heard the 30 second intro of the first song on the explosive new album "It's All Over", I thought this new album would suck. I was wrong. Except for the weird intro on the first song I loved the whole album. Especially the song "Animal I Have Become". But sometimes the depresseing lyrics will make me feel like crap, and tired for some reason. All of the songs overall, are awesome, especially the acoustic intro of the song "Never Too Late". In this hard-rocking album, I thought that this album is the best one I own. It is also the cheapest cd that I have bought in the past 5 years. It is insane. // 9

Lyrics: Well, I think of the lyrics as depressing, they're always talking about how depressed they are. The singer Adam Gontier, has a really cracked up voice, but I've seen Three Days Grace live in Ottawa, Canada. It was really good, they are better live then on the album. The guitar's always match up with the lyrics, from the intro's to the solo's, it all matches the song. The singing is pretty good too. Solo's are rare but good. // 10

Overall Impression: Well if you compare it to anyone else it would be pretty close in my mind. It is an awesome cd. I think the best song's from this explosive new album are "Riot", "Animal I Have Become", and "Over And Over". The only thing I don't like much about this album is the 30 second intro on the first song. If this cd was lost, I would definitly buy it again because it is a really good album and auch a good price. 12$ for such a good album, get it if you don't have it. // 9

One-X Reviewed by: jman1223, on june 14, 2006

Sound: The sound has changed a lot in my personal opinion, probably because now Barry Stock was able to write the songs with the band, because he joined the band after their first album so that might be the reason. It sounds really good though. Also their are some solos now, and it's not simple like some of the songs on the last album. // 10

Lyrics: Adam Gontier has only gotten better in writing lyrics. He tops the emotional lyrics with powerful singing. The lyrics are so powerful also, like in "Pain" when he says "Pain, without love, Pain, can't get enough Pain, I like it rough, because I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all." They kind of speak to you. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is better than their self-titled, in my opinion. When I put this CD in the stereo I began to think, "Wow this is great." If you've only heard "Animal I Have Become," then you haven't heard anything yet. There are more great songs such as "It's All Over," "Pain," "Riot," and more. This album is really good in full. I highly reccomend it. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 26, 2006

Sound: Now before I get into the criticism, let me say that I love TDG's stuff from their last album. The boys showed alot of different sounds and lyrical focuses on the first album. Now, the sound. When you listen to it, you can tell that they tried to add a bit to their sound, some of the songs have cool little intros, clean and then distorted. Sadly though, these are completely brushed away by the verse and chorus chords (which are just as predictable in every song). Three days Grace has a really good tone but they seriously overplayed it on this album. I bought it for a road trip and the only reason I listened all the way to the end is because I kept thinking that the next song would be different. "Animal I Have Become" is the only song on the whole album that has any kind of pattern different from every other song.The song, "One-X", is the last song on the album and I was excited because at the beginning it sounded different, and I thought maybe the guitar, or drums or bass, anything would be different. As soon as it got to the chorus it fell straight back into the formula. I give the sound a 4/10 because it is good, but they played it to death. // 4

Lyrics: Gontier's vocals are undeniably powerful, as was introduced to us with the release of singles like "I Hate Everything About You" and "Home" from the previous album. The lyrics on this album focused on anger and depression. Which is fine and dandy and makes up alot of rock music, but like the guitar and bass and drums, its the exact same in every song. Every song. I mean, hes definately got the voice for it, but its repetitive. Another thing I felt is that, the passion and and the belief in the anger behind the lyrics is lost when you read through the lyric book and it feels like you're reading a book of poem's by Pierre from Simple Plan. There's a lot of "did you think you would be so depressed"'s and "you're not the only one"'s and "I'm so pissed off"'s. It's passionate but juvenile. The lyrics here get a 5/10 for having good passion but being repetitive and for not being expressed as well as could have been. // 5

Overall Impression: Like I've said before. Overall, its repetitive (and I realize the irony, because I've used that word too much), it's poorly thought out and I was expecting more from such a powerful band. I still love Three Days Grace though. // 4

One-X Reviewed by: boyan89, on june 26, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album has only improved from their previous self-titled debut. On this album there are 2 songs with solos and 10 songs with bridges as on the last album they didnt have any solos. They have improved their guitars a lot and man Barry Stock and Adam can play the guitar, they probably make the best bridges a band can ever make. The drums are insanely amazing and the bass is kick-ass. // 10

Lyrics: Adam has defenitely tooken a step in songwriting and made it more mature this time. It has a lot of his feelings and a lot of these songs really do speak to you in a way if you listen to the lyrics really closely. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artists because I think 3DG have their own post-grunge and alternative metal rock sound. I love the fact that their is 2 solos on this album but the thing I dislike is that the rest of the songs have bridges but whatever the bridges are pretty good but could have done with a bit more solos. If this album were lost/stolen I would defenitely buy it again because it is 3DG best work so far and I am really amazed with the songwriting structure this band does. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: freaky_axeman, on april 30, 2007

Sound: This album is a masterpiece. The music that has been made is indescribable and nobody can make the wonderful art that they created. The songs have unique riffs from different scales, and a combination of metal songs and lighter rock songs. Many songs combine acoustic and electric guitars. Songs are tuned differently in some songs to give the band different sounds for different songs. There are no filler songs and all of them are very well done. // 10

Lyrics: Adam Gontier's vocals can give you the chills; the way he sings is unbelievable. The lyrics are extremely catchy and they will always have you humming in your head. The lyrics also reveal a lot about Adam's continued fight against his drug addiction and tell the listener exactly what it feels like to have such a serious problem, while incorporating his message into an amazing song. The entire album is meant to give anti-drug use message. While the lyrics sound angry or harsh, they are simply telling the listener not to do drugs due to all of the negative consequences. I believe that Adam's fight against drugs really inspired him to create many great songs, and he also has an impact on the listener. The only word that can appropriately describe Adam Gontier is brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a fantastic album, nearly flawless. Nobody can sing like Adam Gontier and nobody can create the fantastic music that Three Days Grace has wrote in this album. In my opinion, the best songs on the album are It's All Over, Pain, Animal I Have Become, Never Too Late, Riot, Get Out Alive, Time Of Dying, and One-X, however, all of the songs were very well done. The amazing vocals combined with Barry Stock/Adam Gontier's guitar riffs make this album nearly impossible to beat and see no flaws in the music. If this album was stolen/lost, I would not hesitate to buy another copy. I enjoy the album One-X very much! // 10

One-X Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on december 18, 2008

Sound: The Punk Metal Band called Three Days Grace has done extreley well with their second album, titled "One X".Three Days Grace is a mix of punk, metal, hard rock and soft rock.I like watching the video's for the songs on this album. I watch them on youtube over again becuase there so, well choreographed.Their impressive, but there also simple. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics go very well with the music.there's never any guitar riffs when Adam is singing.But he is singer and guitar, so that kinda makes sese why there's no riffs while he sings.The only thing that isn't good when he sings is that when he does the softer music, his metal voice sounds really low and quiet in soft mode. // 7

Overall Impression: This compares good with the bands first album, but One X is still slightly better in my opinion.The most impressive songs on the album are "Pain", Animal I Have Become", "Never Too Late", "Riot" and " One X".It was hard to pick out which songs to say, becuase there al fantastic.. I love everything about this album except for the Album design on the inside of the case. If I lost this, I would definatly buy a new one FAST. It's one of my favourite albums I own. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: supreemo, on june 16, 2006

Sound: I must say, 3DG's sound has definatly improved since their self-titled debut. For one thing, the guitars have a much better distortion. The distortion on the last album sucked so it's nice to hear some quality sound. Some other new improvements are squeels, Barry Stock actually does some random squeels here and there, and they sound good. They've also added solo's to a couple of the songs which definitly add to their srtistic ability. With all of these new improvements I must say, 3DG has definitly kept their sound but made it more special. I also love how clear the recording is for "Never Too Late", the acoustic sounds amazing. This is definitly one of those albums were you can listen to it once and know every song, which is extremely hard to accomplish. // 9

Lyrics: Adam Gontier what happened to you? The last album was full of raging furies and remorseful lows but this one takes a different turn, love. A good 70% chunk of the lyrics is love oriented. Although the change in style is a little strange, I love how his vocal styles have progressed. It was songs like "Take Me Under", "Drown", and "Let You Down" that made their debut special, because of how his voice could change from melodic to heavy without losing either. He definatly gives us more of that on this album. The only song I have a problem with is "Pain", the intro makes me want to laugh because it's soo freaking corny. All in all good stuff though. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd say this CD is much more grabbing than their previous. You can learn the lyrics the sevond time you listen to it which is great because every song is so catchy. The most impressive songs on the album are: "Animal I Have Become", "Never Too Late", "Time Of Dying", "Over And Over", "Gone Forever", and "On My Own". I love how his vocals have progressed to more melodic this tima around and how barry has added numerous improvements to their guitar. I don't know if I'd buy it again, well maybe I would, I dunno. // 9

One-X Reviewed by: All0utR0ck, on june 16, 2006

Sound: Honestly, when I heard the first track, I thought "wow their sound has matured a lot." And this mindset stays pretty true throughout the entire record. You can't really compare any song off of this album to their debut record. The guitars have improved greatly, bass is audible and drums take about 5 steps up. Sound-wise, in my opinion, have improved greatly, compared to their debut. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics tend to be in the same sort of direction as their first record, but still manage to deliver the message well. You can relate pretty well to Barry's lyrics in songs such as Pain - "Pain, without love, pain I can't get enough/Pain, I like it rough 'cause I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all" I enjoyed the lyrics thouroughly better than their first record. One of the other things I noticed was that Barry's voice has changed a little on this record, but you can still tell it's him singing. I was impressed. // 9

Overall Impression: Trying to compare this album to the last is easy and difficult at the same time. On one hand the lyrics are sort of repetitive from their first record, yet instrumentally have progressed very well. If this album were stolen I would definitely go out and buy it again. My favorite song unconditionally is Riot. Hands down the best song on the album. I also liked It's All Over, Pain, Animal I Have Become, and One-X. All of the songs are great though. I highly recommend this album if you bought their first or if you heard their singles before. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: Church!, on june 19, 2006

Sound: This isn't a difinitively different sound for the band, but it's kind of refreshing to hear some new styles and things incorporated along with thier solid sound that we're used to. It's not as repetitive as the last album which although offering great songs offered no variation, this album does the same and shakes up every song for a different "thing" and that keeps out any previous monotonus sound and truly one song only stands out in this respect and that's track 11 Gone Forever, it's remnicent of I Hate Everything About You, but I love their whole sound so it dosn't affect it much. // 10

Lyrics: His agressive voice draws attention but dosen't overwhelm anything and vice versa for the instruments, all the sound they bring really works together and flows well theres no argument in the songs for dominace. Even showing the agressiveness his voice is still very well carried and it has a naturally good sound. And the lyrics are kind of depressing and hateful but none are delivered in a death metal style, so any anger is shadowed well into a subliminal state almost. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this album and its been playing in my car for the entire time I've had it I've chanted along with the song Riot. I've mellowed along with Pain and I've rocked out to Animal I Have Become, there is a song for every rock person out there to like on this album, if you have even hinted at listening to or wanting to buy this album I'll tell you its worth it. And look for the next single it should be Pain. I got my money down on it. And if this album were stolen it would suck, but I got it on my computer, so I'd burn it onto a new CD. // 9

One-X Reviewed by: RS-GUITARIST, on june 19, 2006

Sound: Three Days Grace defy all critics with their sophmore record 'One-X'. The statements of Three Days Grace being too simplistic in their music has fafed away and is hopefully gone forever. The album is about the self-destruction of the band on the road and the rehabilitation that Three Days Grace had to experience to release another album. 'One-X' opens with the track "It's All Over" and explains the sens of relief of finishing the first album, yet then turning straight to the road. The track fades in with an original intro and the energy of the intro carries throughout the whole song. The song shows a new side to Three Days Grace with an outstanding guitar solo, a verse that kills and a bridge that yells opera. Three Days Grace's sound is then chopped up, thrown into a bowl of excellence and stapled back together with the song "Riot". The band delivers a verse that flows and makes your head bang. Three Days Grace have definatly evolved, in their sound, from their freshman debut effort. 'One-X' may prove critics and the few haters wrong. // 10

Lyrics: Three Days Grace's lyrics have also evolved extremely. When a dark song is established, the lyrics fit perfectly and there is no doubt about it. Adam Gontier's voice in songs like "Never Too Late", "Get Out Alive" and "One-X" prove that his voice has evolved. However, could Adam's voice be so good that it gets away from the guitar at some points? Well, this is some what true. Three Days Grace could be seen as a lyrical driven band, but it's never too late to have some guitar solos in there. Overall, Adam's voice is amazing and has that raspyness that Three Days Grace fans still love. Give this man a cigarette, he deserves it. // 9

Overall Impression: Three Days Grace have definatly evolved, in their sound, from their freshman debut effort. 'One-X' may prove critics and the few haters wrong. Adam's voice is amazing and has that raspyness that Three Days Grace fans still love. One can go as far to say that Three Days Grace's 2006 sophmore album may become the hit of the year. "One-X" is just shy of the title: Masterpiece. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: MultiTalentMan, on june 26, 2006

Sound: I bought this CD 2 days ago and there's some good and bad parts of it. All of the songs sound the same except for maybe "On My Own", but man, if you listen to this CD for a while, all the songs seem to blend together. I think they really need to incorporate some new variety on their next CD. ALthough, this isn't entirely bad, because a lot of people love to listen to this angry kind of music (Including me). // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely personal. Adam and the rest of the band (as explained by the little video feature on the computer) really put their heads and hearts together in writing these lyrics. And overall, I think anyone can relate to these lyrics, young, old, male or female. // 9

Overall Impression: I really think this is better than their self titled album. The songs on the CD I really enjoy are "Get Out Alive" and "On My Own" because those are the most creative songs, in my opinion on the CD. I really love the soulful lyrics, but on the other hand, the fact that the songs all sound the same kind of cancels it out. This is a good CD to listen to one in a while, but it's not something I could listen to every day. I think if they got some more variety in their music, they could really go places. But for now, they stand at an overall 7. // 7

One-X Reviewed by: hockeyboi86, on july 01, 2006

Sound: Their sound has changed, they seem like they aren't singing about anger as much anymore as more about loneliness and broken love, thought some songs still reflect anger or hate. The album One-X was named after the idea of being completely surrounded by people, yet still feeling alone. There are great guitar riffs and Neil seems to have increased his skill in drumming. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have some similarity to their self-titled cd, but there are a couple new songs with new meanings. For example 'Over And Over's meaning is based on someone falling for a person that they don't intend to yet do and that person is rejecting them or not accepting them, while the person who is infatuated with them won't accept the other doesn't return the feelings. Adam has greatly improved his skills as the lead singer and you hear even more variations of his voice than the first album. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall its a great improvement over the first album, songs like 'Over And Over', 'Gone Forever', and 'Time Of Dying' are probably the best songs on the CD. I love everything about this cd, there is nothing bad about it any Three Days Grace fan should own it and even any rock fan should own it. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: LetTheBassPlay, on july 05, 2006

Sound: The band's sound has definitely gotten better in the 3 years it has taken them to write this album, and its a sound that is very easy to enjoy. I have always liked Three Days Grace for their heavy guitar that you just cant help but be pissed off while listening to the music, which enhances the lyrics even more. // 9

Lyrics: Like I said above, a lot of these lyrics are beautifully written to get as much anger as possible in some of them. Some of my favorite songs lyricwise from the album are Animal I Have Become, Riot, On My Own, and Pain. There are a couple of songs where the pronunciation of the lyrics of the chorus match with the guitar parts, and I have to say that those are the most awesome songs. One example is On My Own. Again the angry lyrics match with angry sounding guitar to make the perfect pissed off music. Adam's skill as a vocalist has improved in the time between albums in his range. Although I would like to see a little variation in his range of vocals, he's still doing a great job. // 9

Overall Impression: Three Days Grace have always been a band that's tough to compare to, because nowadays when you want angry music, it ends up being screaming and guitar all over the place. Three Days Grace is able to simplify the complex emotion of anger in there music down to some intense music. The most impressive songs for me are Riot, Animal I Have Become, and On My Own, just because those songs make me want to get up and hit somebody, which is what I want when looking for angry music. If it were stolen from me, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Its one of those CD's that I pride myself in owning. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: Bored_2_Death, on july 14, 2006

Sound: Three Days Grace return from their touring and are back with this album. The sound hasn't really changed since their debut album. The only thing that has changed is that the distortion is much, much, better. With Barry Stock on guitar, there is more second/lead guitar parts. This album even have a couple of guitar solos. // 8

Lyrics: Since Barry joined the band, Adam has taken more of a lead singer role occasionally. The lyrics are always dark. They deal with changing as you grow up and about being alone. Adam's vocals remind me of Davey Havok from AFI. Adam can sing soft during the verses and then provide a harder voice during the chorus. The lyrics are still repetitive sometimes but not as repetitive as (I Hate) Everything About You. // 8

Overall Impression: Adam's voice doesn't really sound like anyone else that I know. But as I stated before, he can sing soft and then provide a harder sound from his vocals. My favorite songs on this album are Pain, Animal I Have Become, Never Too Late, On My Own, Riot, Let It Die, and Over and Over. The one thing I hate about this album is that most of the songs are repetitive. But then again, Three Days Grace are known for keeping their music repetitive and lyrics catchy and sometimes annoying. If I lost this cd, I would definetly buy it again but it won't be as good as the one I have now because I have the bonus track, Running Away. // 9

One-X Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on november 04, 2006

Sound: The sound is like no other. The guitar is absolutely unique of everyone else. They have clean riffs, heavy rifs, and everything in between. And the effects used are unheard ofprevious to this album. The overall sound is great, and verything sounds amazing. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are sometimes dark and depressing, sometimes happy, sometimes angry, but always powerful and full of emotion. The singer has amazing vocal control that all other singers pray to get with practice. and there's no question that the lyrics comply with the music. It's all in sync with itsef, and the musicians are in sync with each other. // 10

Overall Impression: The only artist that I can think of that compares to Three Days Grace would be Papa Roach, but only in the singing style and the limited number of guitars. They have similar lyrics and the same burning and firey that goes into their lyrics and vocals. My personal favorite songs are, Pain, Animal I Have Become, Riot, Let It Die, and Gone Forever. I love the fact that the bass plays loud and proud, but doesn't blast over the guitar. And there isn't anything I hate about it. If it got lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2007

Sound: My overall impression of the album's sound is that they changed just enough from their self-titled album, while not changing entirely. Some songs are about the lead singer's trouble with addiction and his process of coming clean. For example, "Animal I Have Become" and "Get Out Alive" both cover this topic. They previously didn't do guitar solos, but on the first track, "It's All Over", Barry (the new guitarist that they added since 2003) has a guitar solo that fits perfectly with the song. The intro of the first track also draws you in and sets the pace for the entire album. There is a bonus track, "Running Away", which is actually better than some of the songs that are on the album. There is often two guitar parts, which is now possible with the addition of a second guitarist. // 9

Lyrics: First off, I should say that the lyrics have improved so much since the self-titled album. The band now covers more serious topics such as a feeling of numbness in "Pain", drug abuse in "Animal I Have Become" and "Get Out Alive", someone hitting rock bottom in "It's All Over", and suicide in "Never Too Late". The lyrics are less of what some call "angry teenager" and more mature on this second album. The lyrics are pretty simple for the most part, but that is usually the way it works best, I think. They are not so simple that it's boring, or obnoxious, but simple enough. The lead singer has a great voice and can go from quiet to loud in the same phrase..I can't choose on which track he has the best vocals, but I think "Never Too Late". He actually bothers to pronounce words, which is better than many lead singers who just slur every phrase together. He also conveys good emotion in his voice, and is pretty versatile in his singing style. I was also worried prior to the release of "One-X" (the album) that the lyrics would be too much about love, but there are only a few songs that are about love at all, so it's good in that regard. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparison to the self-titled album, I would say it's reasonably better. The instrumentation is better, the lyrics are better, and each song shows more maturity in the band. In my opinion, the best songs on the album are: 01. It's All Over - this is the first song on the album, and it opens with an eerie effect that I can't really describe, but it's cool. Then it starts with a guitar riff that sets the pace for the whole album. The song is very energetic and has a guitar solo in it. 02. Animal I Have Become - this is the first single, starts off with a bass riff that progresses into a catchy guitar riff. The vocals are pretty good in this song, the verses are the best part. 03. Never Too Late - my personal favourite. This is an absolutely amazing song. Starts off with a solitary guitar riff with vocals coming in and progresses to a heavier song in the choruses and the bridge. The vocals are stellar in this track. 04. On My Own - this song has a nice-sounding guitar part in it, and the vocals are good. The lyrics carry good meaning. And the verses, like "Never Too Late" start off lower (for vocals) and progress to higher notes in the chorus, which shows versatility. 05. Riot - this song may fall short in terms of lyrics, but more than makes up for it in instrumentation. The guitar riffs on this track are the best on the album and the song carries great energy for the whole length. 06. Get Out Alive - this is completely different than anything the band did before. One similarity, though, is that this is a quieter track but progresses into a heavier song. The vocal harmonies in the choruses are absolutely awesome. The lyrics are really good on this track too. 07. Let It Die - while the poppiest song on the album, it is really catchy and just a good listen. 08. One-X - the last song, and finally a happy one! Starts off with drums, has a guitar intro which is simple to play but still draws you into the song. Has a kind-of-solo in the bridge, I say that because it's not all that solo-like, compared to "It's All Over". It's more of a bridge riff we can say. This song is solid, and the end really puts a good finish to the album. If it were stolen, I would run to HMV right away and buy another copy of One-X without even thinking about it, it might even be an automatic response. Seriously. I love that they changed just enough but not so much that they are unrecognizable. They did not "go mainstream" as other bands have done on their sophomore releases. If I had to point out one less-than-excellent thing, it would be that the lyrics on some tracks (like "Riot") are too simplistic. I've heard people say that their songs are depressing, but this album tells a story, so after listening to it all I find quite a positive message actually. In addition, this is an album that I can listen to right through without having to ever hit the skip button. It is truly the combination of bass, guitar, vocals, drums, lyrics and anything else the band plays that makes the song good. It is absurd to say that a song sucks because it does not have excellent guitar, or any other one component. 3DG puts it all together beautifully on every track, making the CD a memorable listen. They are to be commended for making an awesome rock album, it was well worth the wait. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: senorjefe33, on april 16, 2007

Sound: I think THree Days Grace's sophomore effort One-X has some very well played instrumentals in it. The two Guitarists Barry Stock, and Adam GOntier really add to the effect of the album. Time of Dying and It's All Over are highlights of the guitar skills of Stock and Gontier. They use their Ibanez and Schecter gutiars for exactly what they're meant for, Hard Rock and Metal. The bassist, Brad Walst is very talented aswell, especially in the Intro to Animal I Have Become. The drummer Neil Sanderson is capable of very intense drumming, as displayed in the CD. I saw him live and he spun out an insane drum solo, it was very cool. Apart from the members of the band, the violin in Over and Over is a very good addition, unique to a hard rock song. Overall I think Three Days Grace is one of the most prominent members of the hard rock/post grunge/alt metal Scene. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of One-X may be rather dark, however this is because they are very biographical of the feelings elad singer Adam Gontier felt while touring for their first CD. He felt very alone and depressed, as if he was alone. This is why the lyrics explore feelings of, well, depression and solitude in the world. The lyrics match the music very well. As the music is very intense and heavy, the heavyness of the lyrics match the music very effortlessly. As for Gontier's singlig style he has a very diverse voice. He can go from a whisper to a passionate scream in the course of one note. He is very talented. // 10

Overall Impression: Although Three Days Grace is a member of the most populated genre of the rock world, I feel they rise above their contemporaries. I eprsonally believe that every song on the album could function as a single, I really hear no fillers. My favorites on the album Include (in this order) Animal I Have Become, Time of Dying, It's All Over, Riot, Get Out Alive, Never Too Late, and One-X, I will, however, admit that I was attracted to the album from hearing Pain on a commercial for CBS's Criminal Minds. I love the hard rocking attitude of Three Day's Grace aswell as all of the emotion behind the hard-rocking riffs. Sometimes their songs do seem to blend together though but I love them all so it dosn't really matter. I have this album on my computer and I-pod so if it were stolen I would still have it. It is indefinatly, my favorite CD so I would try to get a new one if it were stolen. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: BlackSephiroth, on may 30, 2008

Sound: The music in this album was good. It really did Three Days Grace justice. This album was dedicated to the lead singer (Adam Gontier)'s grandmother, as he refers to her in the case book in the album. Three Days Grace is a well known Nu Metal band. One-X is their second album, along with several singles. Overall, this is a good buy. The songs were generally about things like pain and suffering. Not in a dark style, but in a way based around misery and anger. I give it a thumbs up. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics made it seem like he had been in a recently ended relationship, or may have been made in light of Adam Gontier's grandmother's passing. I wonder the meaning of track 11, Gone Forever. The name only suggests a tribute to the above grandmother, but the lyrics, "I feel so much better now that you're gone forever." Signal that he was showing hate or remorse for a recent break up. They revolve around pain (Track 2-Pain), death (In My Time of Dying), and some songs are more about the music behind the lyrics. Some songs like Track 1's lyrics don't seem to tell a story or anything like that, making me personally feel that the guitar riffs and bass/drum parts rather than the lyrics. All in all, the lyrics went along with the music well and complimented the album. // 9

Overall Impression: This album seems like it is mainly about past experiences, rebellion, pain, and suffering. Many other artists have made the same appeal. However, Three Days Grace captures these elements better than any other nu metal album I've yet heard. What I love about this album is that it attempts a feel of misery and remorse and successfully puts these feelings to work. There's nothing I really HATE about this album, but if I could change anything, it would be the solo parts and a few of the bridges. If the solos and bridges had a stronger feel and a more exciting part, it would be a perfect 10. // 9

One-X Reviewed by: SaintAli, on june 26, 2008

Sound: One X, the most recenty released album, by the now well know band Three Days Grace. The genere of this album, is much the same as there last one, continueing to forward there path as an alternative metal band. The history to the One X album is an intresting story, as each song has a hidden meaning inside it, though the album is mostly based on the lead singers (Adam Gontier) old drug habbits. The two years previous to the release of this album had been a tough one for Adam, he found himself taking many drugs, and found himself in many places he didn't expect to find himself in, when he returned home, his wife had confronted him with his drug problem, although it took him for a while to admit it, you find a lot of the admitting to it in the song "Animal I Have Become" and the album basically tells the story of Adam, as he come to his relisation of his drug problem. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album are some of my favrioute lyrics in music hitory, when I first got this album, me and my girlfriend had actually fell out, and I found the lyrics genuis, because the first song I found myself relating to was Over and Over, in paticular the lines, "So many thought that I can't get out of my head, I try to live without you but I feel dead." But that wasn't all, when I returned back to my girlfriend, I discovered the meaning on the song "Its Never Too Late" Where it lets you know, no matter what, it will never be too late to change thing. Although these songs, are directed towards the way they felt, I can garantee you, no one can make it through this album, without recolating some demons of there history, I think that this to me is what made the album very successful. Singer skills? I have to say to personal opinion I love them, and I thought it helped make this album, but he unfortunitly sings in a unique style, which I know, has put off several of my friends listening to them, it's the only huge downfall to this album, but don't push it away before listening to it, cause you might like his singing style, because I personally love it. // 9

Overall Impression: Does the One X album compare to others out there. No, none that I have heard, Three Days Grace are not my favrioute band, but this is my all time favrioute album. The most impressive songs on the album are "Never Too Late", "Let it Die" and "Gone Forever", they all show a unique, yet somewhat similar playing style, and are songs that everyone in the world can relate to. The thing I love most about this album is the fact that all the songs are so meaningful, and powerful, and the way people can relate to these songs at times are just incredible, however, the thing I dislike about this album, is it's replay value, you will listen to it solid for months, then leave it on the shelf to collect dusts for months, it's not an album you want to play all the time, it's unfortunate, you tend to only want to listen to the album, when something in your life isnt going quiet as planned, and that's personal experiance there. If my album was lost or stolen, I might cry, I get emotional when albums go missing, espessially the best one I own, however, I have it on my PC, so I would burn a copy to keep me going:P But yeah I would need to have the original back on my shelf, I would be annoying Mum, for some money, and searching on the net to get another copy of this CD in flash, it this is a big recomendation I would say, to music lovers of all sorts. And this is my first music review I hoped yous enjoyed reading, I will release some more later on and hopefully get better at them, in the mean time, if you don't own ths album, I suggest getting it. // 10

One-X Reviewed by: Reviewer Jordan, on november 12, 2008

Sound: Three Days Grace is a awesome band. They are very good at making songs, and I don't understand why they only have 2 albums, and 24 songs. Barry Stock is a-mazing! His notes match the song very well, ut he doesnt't't't really do any solos in his songs. the only songs that actually have a solo is "It's All Over" and "One-x". I think h should make more solos because they aren't half bad, at least not in the two I've heard. And not to mention, he's got an awesome mohawk! haha, just throwin that in. They don't make many bad songs, although many songs ONLY have good choruses, like Overated, which is very boring until the chorus. also, drowned, and a lot other from their Original album, Three Days Grace. They were once my favorite band, but since they only have 24 songs, they got pretty boring. their kind of like red, which only has one album, 12 songs! only 2 or 3 are goo songs, too! and what's funny is, they've toured together! But three days grace is a well-known band that knows how to entertain! // 9

Lyrics: Adam Contier. He has a great voice on CD, like amazingly amazing, but if you've heard them live, it's pretty bad. Obviously the studios helped him alot. Their like Dragonforce, freakin' awesome live, but sounds like a garage band live. actually, scratch that, just the singers bad in concert, don't want people to think I'm saying any of the other three suck. Barry stock is also a guitarist, which I find cool to be a guitarist, and a lead singer. I like when they play a little softish, and then go metal, or alternative, and it sounds awesome! they're a very unique band. // 8

Overall Impression: They compare to red, most over all bands. Again, they toured together, and they were the perfect choices to tour with each other. Both of their albums sound a lot alike, and have the same tone. my favorite songs on the album are, it's all over, Pain, Animal I have Become, Never too late, Riot, Let it die, Over and over, Time od dying, And gone forver. haha, most of the songs are great. Here are my ratings: Its all over: 8 Pain: 7.5 Animal I have become: 8 Never too late: 7.5 On my own: 7 Riot: 9 Get out alive: 6.5 Let it die: 7 Over and over: 8 Time of dying: 8.5 Gone forever: 8 One-x: 7 Yea, they all have decenty ratings. If I was to lose this CD, I would probably buy it again, but it's not liek a CD that I would buy that day cause I love it so much, but eventually I would buy it. // 7

One-X Reviewed by: TheOtherside., on november 30, 2010

Sound: I personally find this album to be my favorite from Three Days Grace. This was written during a particularly difficult time in lead singer, Adam Gontier's, life. Faced with the complications of drug addiction, he describes this album to be very personal to him. The theme of each song gives off a dark vibe with many of the songs being in a minor key. Each song is unique, and has a new feeling to it than the previous one. One thing I would've enjoyed would be more guitar solos. Barry Stock is a very gifted guitarist, and I think that could have added a lot to the interest of each song. // 7

Lyrics: The overall feeling I get from listening to this album is something you don't find very many other places. Each song has somewhat of a darker feeling to it, with an underlying message of hope. With the intention of making the listener feel as if they are not alone, most of the lyrics are from the point of view that we can all relate to. Something that I really liked was the relation of the lyrics and sound. If the purpose of the song was to make you feel anger/rage- the instrumentals definitely reflected that by having more energy and heavier chords. The vocals displayed with this band are spectacular. Adam Gontier does a wonderful job of capturing the pure emotion of the song, and having a different perspective on each track. Very talented. // 10

Overall Impression: I listen to a lot of different artists, but I would honestly have to say that Three days Grace is one of my favorites. The raw and honest emotion that is put into each song is probably the thing that makes it so meaningful to the listener. My personal favorite songs off the record would have to be: -Riot: Full of energy, Fun to listen to! Full of anger and bent-up rage. -Gone Forever: Very sad, describes conflicting emotions of love and hate often most painful after losing someone. -Animal I Have Become: Energetic! Relates to internal conflict and frustration with one's self. I love the overall feeling that this whole album gives off. While it mainly focuses on internal conflicts, and broken spirits... It really makes you realize that no matter how much you feel like you don't belong here, we are all together as one. A somethings that I would change: More guitar (In general, it would add so much to the overall effect.), and a few more songs featuring acoustics would also have been great. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone. I enjoyed listening to this album very much... :) // 9

More Three Days Grace reviews rating latest review