Three Days Grace Review

8.2
 7.9
 8.5
Three Days Grace Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on june 23, 2004

Sound: The sound is awesome. The guitars hit the sound hard with its hatredness behind the songs. Three Days Grace have great guitarists. They are able to make an angry song sound so good. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics mostly deal with anger. I am the kind of guy who likes angry music so the lyrics are good. Most of them deal with hating people,feeling left out, and trying to be not like everyone else. The lead singer has a good voice and he's able to express his feelings in a lot of the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Three Days Grace first albulm is a good start for the band. the songs have a little bit of something to connect to. I love a lot of the songs on this cd. My top 5 faves are Burn, Just Like You, I hate everything about you, Wake up, and Take Me Under. Three Days Grace cd is a buy if you're into good rock with feeling and anger. // 8

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 17, 2005

Sound: You people are simpletons (wow I never use that word). This is the simplest, driest, cookie cutter music I've ever heard. It's for people who really arent INTO music. It's for people who hear a catchy hook on the radio and are like hey I'm gunna buy that. This is basic generic rock that's been done a million times before. There is nothing original here. It's for people who can't process complex music, innovative, and unique music. Mostly when someone who doesn't know music hears a unique band they don't like them because it's not what they are used to. These are the bands that set themselves apart from the rest (i. e. Red Hot Chilli Peppers, System Of A Down, name a band these guys sound like you can't, and you'll probably be way off if you do name one). Wow you people are the reason commercial simple crap still exists. // 2

Lyrics: They think up a hook (Just Like You) and are like "Hey that sounds cool!" and the work around the hook, rather than writing a good song from the ground up. This band has the fakest lyrics I've ever heard. If you want to read good lyrics, do a google search for Every Time I Die lyrics. Though these lyrics will probably go right over your simple heads. Three Days Grace says the same thing over and over. Again, unoriginal crap. // 2

Overall Impression: This band sounds just like every other commercial mainstream act. They have terribly fake lyrics and simple music for simple people. There is nothing original about this band. It's all been done before, and it's so apparent that they are in it just for the money. These bands make me sick. Crossfade, Fuel, Creed, Nickelback, what's the freakin difference? Half of these bands try to sound like Eddie Veddar (Seether). The generic rock voice and lyric: "It's in my head!" and "It's Sooo cold." // 2

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: fox69, on october 25, 2005

Sound: Three Days Grace came out with this album in mid 2003. I didn't pay a lot of attention to what videos were on TV but I kept hearing this great song on the radio, but I couldn't catch the name of it. funally I found out it was "(I Hate) Everything About You" by three days grace. I instantly bought the CD and I was surprised at how good the rest of the CD was. The band's sound is great and they use such simple guitar riffs that its easy to learn their songs. Barry and Adam do a great job of the guitars, Niel's drums are fairly good, but I was a little disappointed with brad's bass. It just seemed like there wasn't a lot of effort put into it but the rest of the band definetly picks up the slack. Notable songs are "(I Hate) Everything About You," "Just Like You," "Home," "Let You Down," "Drown," "Wake Up" and "Take Me Under." // 9

Lyrics: Adam's lyrics are a little dark at times but they are very skillfully written. He can sing about anything from breaking up with a girl ("(I Hate) Everything About You"), to being home alone an getting stoned ("Home"), or just wanting to be different and unique ("Just Like You"). His voice goes well with the rest of the band, even though he doesn't seem to have much experience. Talent-wise I'd have to say he isn't greatly talented, but he knows what will sound good with his voice so he doesn't get into trouble with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I really like the fact that they are a good band from Canada. We canadians can rock to! This was their first album so I don't have much to compare it to, but I know they will be making albums fer a while. Their new albums due in the next 6 months so if you like this band you will definetly be pumped to know theres more where that all came from. If I lost this CD I might buy it again but I already have all the songs on my computer so I'd probably just burn it agian. // 9

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: Horvat, on november 30, 2005

Sound: Three Days Grace make a name for themselves in the rock community with this self-titled release. Blending rock with doses of metal, grunge, and punk, the boys from Three Days Grace have created a CD that has a memorable and original sound. A sound that I'm sure many other rock acts will find it hard to compete with. Similar to 3 Doors Down and Seether, this band has reached similar popularity because of its easy-listening music that all ages can listen to, and fans of other genres can enjoy as well. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics on this CD are ranged. At times they are sad, at other times they are happy, some times they are angry, some times they are just thoughtful. A range of emotions are met on this album, so it is a good CD to listen to no matter what mood you're in. And the good thing is, the Three Days Grace vocalist does not come off at all whiny or emo on some of their more sadder songs. His singing is good too. Doesn't have the best range, but nonetheless he can sing pretty well! // 8

Overall Impression: When I feel I need to get away from all the heavier metal I listen to, I find that this album is something softer I can enjoy. It is post-grunge type rock that has a few traces of metal and punk in it, which I quite like. Some have said Three Days Grace's self-titled is nu-metal, but that is definitely not true. The guitars aren't tuned low or distorted much, and the vocals aren't angsty or whiny. There is no rap/hip-hop influence either. It's just good old rock. The songs on it are all fairly good, though I'm a bit disappointed that that it has several fillers. Not to worry though, it is still enjoyable, and some good tracks are "Scared," "I Hate Everything About You," "Wake Up," and "Now Or Never." If you like this type of rock, this album is a good listen. It also has some excellent acoustic guitar pieces that are great to play. I'm undecided whether I would buy it again if it was stolen, but it certainly is good in any rock CD collection. // 8

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on december 18, 2008

Sound: Three Days Grace's first album is very unique and symbolic. It's unique becuase it has some of there all time favourite songs on it. and it is Symbolic becuase it's what started Three Days Grace's Music Career.The styles used in the record are: rock, Hard rock, soft and punk. Most of the songs are punk but there are they occasional different styles. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics go along fairly well with the music.There's never any riffs while he is singing. Adam has a Great Metal Voice used in his singing. He is very talented in his singing and Guitar.In the softer songs though, his voice is sometimes "cracks" in the low notes. // 7

Overall Impression: This doesn't really compare with any other music or bands.The band has a very unique music style that no other band can match.The Most Impressive songs on the Album are "Scared", "I Hate Everything About You", "Drown" and " Overrated". It was hard for me to pick these becuase there are so many good songs on the album.If this was stolen, I would Definatly get another one. Not right away though becuase I can listen to their other album and also I don't listen to this much anymore, but I would get another one for Sure. // 9

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: DefinitelyALion, on july 22, 2011

Sound: I'd heard a couple songs by TDG when I picked up this album. What I'd heard impressed me, so I expected some decent rock from their debut (where better to start than the beginning?) What I heart blew my mind. There's almost nothing special about the album... But when you hear it, EVERYTHING is special. You can't just put it into words. The blast of the barre chords, the perfect timing of the drums, the amazing vocals by Adam Gontier... Many people say Three Days Grace is unoriginal, but I can always recognize them right off when I hear them on the radio, they have a distinctive style that is unsurpassed by modern bands. The drums are good, nothing special. The guitar parts are incredibly simple, but somehow they blast out harder than if they were thrashing at extreme speed. A well-placed power chord can turn a song into a masterpiece, as displayed all through this album. The vocals are simply amazing; Adam roars out the angry songs, whispers through soft parts, and the dark opening to "Born Like This" genuinely sent shivers down my spine. // 9

Lyrics: There is a lot to be said about their lyrics. Some of them are blunt and to the point (ala "I Hate Everything About You") while others, such as "Drown", are great examples of poetry put to music. They deal with dark subjects (breakup, hatred, guilt, despair, getting stoned) and there are few happy moments on this album - but in the end, it doesn't matter. They're just so dang catchy. You'll want to roar out the chorus of "Home", headbang madly to "Scared", and I constantly find myself singing "Drown" in the shower, appropriately enough. "Wake Up", while a very dark song, has some of my favorite lyrics. "Wake up, I'm pounding on the door, I'm not the man I was before", all done with Adam's distinctive and beautiful style. Overrated is just a masterpiece, and though difficult to interpret, stands out as a marvelous work of poetry; the chorus just blew my mind with its sheer intensity. All in all: AWESOME JOB, ADAM! // 9

Overall Impression: I came away from this album wanting it to be MUCH longer. So much power and emotion was put into 44 minutes (not Megadeth, though I am of the impression that TDG now trumps Megadeth). I loved the power chords enough that I learned the entire album today. From the opening chords of "Burn" to the raw intensity of "Overrated", I loved this album. I don't listen to much modern rock (because, frankly, not much modern rock is good), but this album was a gem in the dark. A masterpiece. I love the riffs. I love the lyrics. I love Adam's voice. I hate that the album is so short. I hate that there are no solos (but, to tell the truth, it's awesome anyway!) 01. "Burn" - The opening track, very competitive in feel. The noises at the beginning made me wonder about the album, but then the blazing riff calmed my fears. The guitars are a bit odd on this track, but the main riff is truly a masterwork, and the lyrics are done well, even if they're not the catchiest. 02. "Just Like You" - A song about individuality. Powerful, gritty yet processed, cold but so hot that it blows your mind, this track is amazing. In 3 minutes, it packs more of a punch than Metallica can in 6 (blast you, "St. Anger"!) The riff is one that you want to headbang to, the chorus is powerful and beautiful. 03. "I Hate Everything About You" - A song about breakups and bad relationships in life. Radio-friendly, but powerful nonetheless. The guitar is slightly boring, but the vocals make up for it. The vocal passion put into this song make it well worth listening to. 04. "Home" - A dark song about getting stoned! Everything about this song makes you want to throw up the horns and scream along with it. The guitar is positively amazing - the ambient soft parts are creepy, the bottom string riff is almost thrash metal in its intensity. The vocals are roared into your face, the drums pound out the beat, the bass adds to the mix. All in all, EPIC. 05. "Scared" - One of the more mediocre songs on the record, this one still has the speed to make you want to jump up and down, like Adam encourages the crowd to do during live performances of this song. The lyrics and guitar are slightly boring, but they're powered hard enough to make it a decent song. 06. "Let You Down" - A song about drugs. They entice you, telling you that everyone else is doing it, that you have to do it to be cool, but then once you let it in, they'll destroy you. It's very dark, very powerful. The verse is soft and creepy, the chorus is explosive. 07. "Now Or Never" - The closest this album gets to an inspirational number. I thoroughly enjoyed this song - the power, the darkness, the lyrics are similar in tone to "Break" from "Life Starts Now", about getting off your lazy butt and changing your life. The guitar is powerful, the lyrics are expressive. 08. "Born Like This" - Pure darkness. From its spine-chilling intro accompanied with Adam's gravelly whisper, to the power of its chorus, this one channels the shadows. 09. "Drown" - Another song like "Now Or Never", just lyrically darker. Its main riff is slower and heavier, but the verse is amazing. The guitar is mostly ambient in the verse, but the lyrics are pure poetry; the lyrical parallels between verses amazed me. Then the chorus is both dark and inspirational at the same time. Possibly the best track on the record. 10. "Wake Up" - Whaddaya know, another dark song, this one about a formerly abusive man asking for forgiveness for his past sins. The guitar is simply amazing in this song; the verse riff is beautiful, the chorus riff is driving. I personally prefer the live version in Drop D, as opposed to the studio's Drop F, but overall the song is a great display of art. 11. "Take Me Under" - A sad song, with deep tones of despair and no happiness. The verse is soft and sad, accompanied with beautiful guitar, then the chorus is pure darkness. 12. "Overrated" - This song amazes me. A fast Avenged Sevenfold-style riff leads into a soft grunge verse with cryptic lyrics, followed by the most blistering chorus known to the band. "You made it, you played it, your sh-t is overrated!" The chorus is so simple, yet it becomes almost an anthem against the system - rage against the machine, if you will. What better way to close the album? If this album were stolen, I would kill the offender so hard that Bruce Lee would come back to life just to whimper. BUY THIS ALBUM! // 10

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: gpderek09, on november 26, 2003

Overall Impression: This is by far the best album i have ever heard. I bought this album right after hearing three days grace in concert. I love Three days grace. The guitar riffs kick and the vocals are excelent. The songs that really stick out to me are "I hate everything about you" and "Home". I love every thing about this cd and hate nothing about it. If this cd were stolen or lost I would run to bestbuy and get a new one. I would suggest this cd to every rock lover. But for those into more of a pop-punk sound I would not recomend buying this album. But if you are just into all kinds of rock music you will love this album. three days grace is my new favorite band after listing to this cd. The riffs are great to learn for begining guitarist due to all the barre chords. three days grace is an awsum band and this is a great cd. I love every thing about it. // 10

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2004

Sound: This is an awesome punk rock band. It has a good guitar player, catchy riffs, a good drummer, and a lead singer with a mohawk. Is that not the needs for a punk rock band or what?! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are mainly about his b**** girlfriend who seems to be killing his emotions or something. But they are also about hating this chick and you can kind of tell (I hate everything about you). // 8

Overall Impression: An amazing cd. And at target, an amazing price! $10.00 and definitely worth every penny. But in a good way. If you don't have this cd then what are you doing on the computer? Go get it now! Now I say! // 10

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2004

Sound: This is a great album. For any one who love angry rock music, this album is for you. The sounds are great, and aren't hard to learn how to play. I know I'm supposed to be critical, but I can't think of anything wrong with this album. You should go buy it right now if you don't already own it. // 10

Lyrics: Not one song on the whole album is "happy". But that's not a bad thing. The lyrics fit well with the tunes they play. Angry guitar playing goes well with the angry lyrics. The singer isn't too bad either. // 10

Overall Impression: It has got to be one of my favorite CDs. I listen to it all the time. The best songs on it are "I hate everything about you", "Wake up", and, my favorite, "Overrated". If it were stolen, I'd definitly go buy it again. Then I'd track done who ever stole it, and beat the crap out them. I love it that much. It's definitly worth buying. // 10

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: hackaxe, on june 23, 2004

Sound: Awesome! Thats all that needs to be said. Punk/Rock bands need to pay attention to these guys and learn what a good album sounds like. That's it. It's about the sound, so listen. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics do get a little "woe-is-me" at times, but that was what this album was about. "Let the bitch go, she hurt me, now I get her back." Sounds like the way most artists go about these things. But the catch it, the lyrics do just that, they catch you. // 8

Overall Impression: I would have to say that this is one of the best albums not only this year, but since the turn of the millenium. If you haven't gone out and bought this album for yourself, your mom, all your friends, then there is something seriously wrong with you. The Hack has spoken. // 10

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2005

Sound: Three Days Grace sucks! One thing people must understand about bands like this is that they have no talent whatsoever, yet these guys and the other pathetic bands like them still sometimes hog the music spotlight. This band is a disgrace who has simply entered the rock industry to make millions, not to play good music. I've heard this group's songs on the radio and it is simply the most plain, boring, pathetic, and talentless crap you might ever hear. It is simply the same chords played over and over to create the most generic and simple rock riffs ever. // 2

Lyrics: Terrible. In their single 'Just Like You' the singer sings: "I could be mean, I could be angry, or I could be just like you." Now, what the hell is that supposed to mean? But you see, I can't really blame the band on such stupid lyrics like these, because they probably didn't even write them. // 2

Overall Impression: This band should call themselves Three Days Disgrace because they are a disgrace to rock and roll and music all together. These guys truly suck ass beyond any point of pretty much any other band. Do not buy there album to listen to that crap or even more so, to support there group of pathetic, talentless asses. // 2

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: I enjoy the sounds of their guitars and their songs are quite complex and fun to listen to. The lead singer, in my opinion, has a great singing voice for this type of genre. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are well written and get the point of the song across quite well. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this is a great debut album from Three Days Grace. I bought it a few months ago and I am still listening to it today. I like how their songs are complex and if you want to learn them on guitar, some are quite difficult, but they're fun to play. My favorite songs on the album are Burn, Just Like You, I Hate Everything About You, Home, Scared, Wake Up, Take Me Under, and Overrated. My favorite is probably either Burn or Take Me Under. The rest of the songs other than the ones I mentioned, are not bad songs, but I find them forgetable. If I had to pick one song I never really cared much for, it would have to be Drown. I just didn't ever get into it much. But, overall I really like this album and I can't wait for the next album by Three Days Grace. If you're a fan of nu-metal, I highly recommend you pick this one up. // 8

Three Days Grace Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2005

Sound: I find the sounds really amazing it are simple riffs but still they sound very good. The guitar players play very good and are really a present for the ear. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are about real life (about a not perfect life) and that's what I like about it. It also got some anger in it and that can't be wrong. Because it are hard guitars and with angry lyrics it's sounds very good! // 10

Overall Impression: I first had it for a while from a friend (girl, so girls like rock too) and I really like it so I bought it and now I listen to it almost every day. My favorite songs are: Burn, I Hate Everything About You, Scared, Now Or Never, Drown and Wake Up. I like the CD because the verses are mostly quite and the chorus is like an explosion and that sounds very cool. So everyone who likes good rock music run to the store and buy it! // 10

More Three Days Grace reviews rating latest review