Transit Of Venus Review

three days grace: Transit Of Venus
Released: Oct 2, 2012
Genre: Alternative Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Metal
Label: RCA
"Transit Of Venus" is a must-listen record, and is just as good as the band's past albums. It is a different sound, but Three Days Grace's strong point is that they never put out a boring album.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 7.7
 8.1
 7.3
Transit Of Venus Reviewed by: SocksAndTrees, on october 04, 2012

Sound: In Three Days Grace's fourth studio album, they include the "electronic" sound that many bands including Muse, Linkin Park, and Papa Roach have been experimenting with. They do a decent job of pulling it off, but their previous sound seemed to leave a more lasting effect. A few songs stand out to me, but others seem to not grab my attention. The guitars have your typical Three Days Grace sound, mostly being tuned in Drop D, with one finger chord choruses, and a few decent solos. The drums are alright, but don't seem to stand out as much as they did in their other records. Adam Gontier's voice hasn't changed much over the years, and still remains good. Overall I'd say the sound of this album is okay, but definitely the least of all their albums. // 7

Lyrics: Pretty typical Three Days Grace lyrics, songs about being in denial, being a loser, broken relationships, and being angry at someone who left you. The two previous albums ("One-X" and "Life Starts Now") talked heavily of Adam's personal demons, where this album appears not to as much. Expectations has interesting lyrics, narrating stories of people who are convinced that they made it big, only to have their dreams crushed, following with the chorus "Expectations Go To Hell". "Unbreakable Heart" is similar to "One-X", where it speaks of being pushed around by others, being a loser, etc, then adds the positive "never give in" note. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, "Transit Of Venus" was a decent album, it doesn't beat their other albums, but it does a decent job of keeping me entertained. My favorite songs off this album are "The High Road", "Expectations", "Chalk Outline", and "Unbreakable Heart". I have to say I hope 3DG goes back to their old sound, and doesn't keep it up with the electronics in this album. It wasn't a failed experiment, but I would have expected more from them. If this album were stolen or lost, I'd probably buy it again, it wouldn't be a matter of "OH NO! I HAVE TO BUY IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!", though. // 7

Transit Of Venus Reviewed by: 3dgfan34, on october 04, 2012

Sound: Three Days Grace have a much different sound on this record, it may take some time to grow on you. Adam hits notes that we have never heard him hit before, and the band has also started to experiment with a lot of new instruments. It seems like with "Life Starts Now" (The bands previous album) that the band was looking at the world through a sadder point of view. "Transit Of Venus" covers many new topics, like drinking problems, 16 year old runaways, etc. Overall, the sound is very different, with the new instruments and new point of view, but it is a good type of different. // 10

Lyrics: If anything, Adam Gontier's voice has gotten stronger. He hits notes that he never has before, and seems to flow with the music more. The lyrics also seem to have strong meanings. From singing about being compared to a piece of broken glass, to singing about how fast your life has gone by, Adam does a great job flowing with the music, and sending chills down your spine. // 10

Overall Impression: Some of the songs on "Transit Of Venus" are very different than the band's past work. These include "Time That Remains", "Sign Of The Times", and their rendition of Michael Jackson's "Give In To Me". "Time That Remains" is mainly an acoustic song, which is new for Three Days Grace, who usually have heavily distorted, Drop D tuned guitar. Sign of the Times is a great song, but has a very different feel than most of the band's past work. "Give In To Me" has a different sound, and I just found it surprising that the band would cover one of MJ's songs. So, overall, "Transit Of Venus" is a must-listen record, and is just as good as the band's past albums. It is a different sound, but Three Days Grace's strong point is that they never put out a boring album, so if you are a big fan, you will not be disappointed! // 10

Transit Of Venus Reviewed by: drpdrp97, on october 15, 2012

Sound: Three Days Grace's "Transit Of Venus" does leave something to be desired for, but all the flak about "electronic" influence should be toned down. It's not like Linkin Park's use of electronic on "Living Things" where nearly all the guitar is synced with the synth and nearly impossible to hear... The guitar(s) are still very prominent. The album is not their best work, but the band said this was an "experimental album". "Misery Loves My Company" is my least favorite track. The guitar throughout the chorus is composed of chords, then switches styles blatantly without any kind of transition to single-note vibratos. Their next album will likely return to the sound of "Life Starts Now" or if we're lucky their original angsty post-grunge sound. // 6

Lyrics: Adam Gontier's vocals are definitely quite impressive on this album. He does Michael Jackson's "Give In To Me" great justice, and the lyrics are pretty good on most tracks, although I've never been fond of songs which reference drinking like "Happiness", it seems to take away from the lyrics' full potential. The comparison to chalk in "Chalk Outline" was brilliant, taking "the high road", being "broken glass", the lyrics are all superbly written and sung. "Unbreakable Heart" does not amount to "One-X" and does not come close, but it's still a great outro on the part of the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definitely the worst they've done, but then again we're all just hoping for another "One-X". "Chalk Outline", "The High Road", and "Give Me A Reason" are my personal favorites, and the pretty much acoustic "Time That Remains" for being their first acoustic album track is quite impressive. I love how on many tracks Brad's bass is identifiable relatively easily and Adam's singing is at its best from "Sign Of The Times" all the way to "Unbreakable Heart". I hate how Adam is playing guitar much less on this album, and as stated before, I despise "Misery Loves My Company". "Riot" had amazing guitar, and I'd like to see the next album have some guitar similar to it. If this album was stolen, I would buy it again, but definitely not in any rush. It's not that great. // 7

Transit Of Venus Reviewed by: MetallicStrat8, on october 05, 2012

Sound: Ok I've read the other reviews on this site and they've been giving very off reviews of this album, so I'm going to attempt to give it some justice. In their senior effort, Three Days Grace shifts into a more electronic vibe. This isn't a bad thing but its kind of unusual for this band. Most notably on "Expectations" the whole song has this backing tech-no riff, I think it brings the song together. Overall I thought it was great for them to try this but it just missed a few marks to me. Tech-no sound aside, the album opens great with "Sign Of The Times" it has that perfect feel to flow through the rest of the album. I'm only going to mention songs I feel have great impact, "The High Road", for some reason this song felt a little incomplete but I still liked it. "Anonymous" has that feel of soft feelings transitioning into a very hard hitting chorus like it was trying to uplift everything its very good to transition like they did in this song. "Happiness" to me is a sequel to "The Good Life" from "Life Starts Now", it has the same feel to it of wanting to have the good life, living life like a rock star. The album closes on a pretty high note with "Unbreakable Heart" it wraps all the themes int he album quite nicely, I just didn't like the effects they added to it, it would have been perfect without that. The guitars still have that crunch we all love about TDG, but the bass is not as prominent as I'd hoped like it was on "One-X" or the self titled. Drums are the usual style I do think they stand out on "Happiness". Other than that it was pretty good musically. // 7

Lyrics: The high point of this album is by far Adam's singing, he experiments the most on this album with his voice. His writing on "Sign Of The Times" and "Anonymous" are the best I've heard from him since "One-X". On the song "Give In To Me" it feels like he's trying to reach out to us and tell us to understand the meaning of love, loss, and what we all want out of our partners and our selves. "Broken Glass" is more of a "One-X" song where it talks about being pushed down by everyone and retaliating against all the posers and authority. "Chalk Outline" has that feel of walking dead without a heart its like a for telling of "Misery Love My Company", witch has its own feel of redemption and trying to fight against all your fears and demons. Adam really went all out on this album and it shows. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I'd say this album is leaps and bounds better than "Life Starts Now" it even measures up to "One-X". With songs like "Chalk Outline", "Expectations", "Anonymous", and "Happiness" this album defiantly was great. But I hope on the next album they reduce the use of effects, I see that they're trying to be more diverse but it just makes them sound a little bit more generic because almost every new band is doing that. This album defiantly has the replay value I pay for when I buy an album I've listened to it about 12 times since I bought it on Tuesday. This album hits all the marks it set to achieve I just wish it could have been more realized but I still say its one of the best albums from TDG and I would defiantly buy another copy if I lost it or anything happened to it. // 8

Transit Of Venus Reviewed by: R4ndo, on november 27, 2012

Sound: 3DG breaks their mold in several ways throughout "Transit". The opener, "Sign Of The Times", takes over a minute to introduce any percussion but makes up for lost time at 1:16 as Gontier belts out "There's chaos on the rise / The sky is raining knives" over a driving drum entrance. Tracks like "Chalk Outline", "The High Road" and "Expectations" experiment with some electronics a la Linkin Park but with a more subtle touch--a first for the band and an overall decent venture. "Time That Remains" is primarily acoustic, an unexpected but pleasant rarity for Gontier and the club. True to form, however, 3DG belts out some crunchy hard-driven anthems in the form of "Operate", "Broken Glass" and "Happiness", the content of which is ironically unpleasant on one level. One thing to note is that similar to all of their previous releases, the songs remain short and wholly lacking in the guitar solo department, with only one track on "Transit" clocking in at barely over four minutes ("Give Me A Reason"). In summation, 3DG has delivered a refreshing post-grunge alt-metal soundscape all too rare in 2012 that satisfyingly pounds on your eardrums. // 8

Lyrics: Gontier's penmanship has matured and evolved yet again in their fourth studio album release. "One-X" remains the most lyrically potent album in the band's repertoire, primarily focused on Gontier's struggle with substance abuse and its ubiquitous collateral damage. "Transit Of Venus" is a much welcomed improvement from the album between the two, however. "Life Starts Now" was unable to string more than a couple soul-stinging tracks together at a time, an issue that Transit addresses immediately. The first three tracks are consistently strong in the lyric department throughout, with standout lines like "I've been cold in the crypt / But not as cold as the words that cross your lips" ("Chalk Outline") and "Well I'm not gonna give it away / Not gonna let it go just to wake up someday, gone" ("The High Road"). The anthems feature 3DG-typical explosive bar room belts like "It used to be, you brought out the best in me / Now it seems, you bring out the beast in me" ("Operate") and "Happiness, straight from the bottle / When real life's too hard to swallow" ("Happiness"). A few of the tracks contain some un-impressionable filler-eqsue content, and the cover of Michael Jackson's "Give In To Me" feels out of place. In a sly Tarantino-worthy twist, the comprehensively dark content gets blasted out of the water by the album closer, "Unbreakable Heart", a redeeming, encouraging ballad worthy of its spot. Gontier's aggressive, soaring vocals remain the strongest consistency in the band's arsenal and continue to impress throughout an ominous, swirling album. // 8

Overall Impression: "Transit Of Venus deserves your iPod's full attention for several listens to appreciate what Three Days Grace have done in their new release. Although they remain out of reach of modern rock godliness, Gontier's abilities and the band's open attitude toward their music help them inch ever closer. "Transit" showcases several steps forward for 3DG and is in the top two of their works for complete album presentation (along with "One-X"). Standout tracks include "Sign Of The Times", "Chalk Outline", "The High Road", "Time That Remains" and "Unbreakable Heart". The first single, "Chalk Outline", has successfully baited the attention of rock lovers everywhere and has reestablished 3DG as a staple example of why rock is still alive, if not altogether well. Expect to see "Happiness" and perhaps "Operate" or "Broken Glass" released as singles in the near future.

// 9