Identity Crisis Review

9.4
 9.7
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Identity Crisis Reviewed by: SpLiNt3rIzEr, on january 13, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is excellent for a sophomore album. The riffs are excellent , and the lyrics are right on the dot. Dustin wrote most of the songs, and he did a really nice job on them. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were some of the best thrice lyrics yet. It fits very well into the music that they play. It just... mixes together. I can't explain it but they are just great. All the songs mean something, there not just mindless dribble you hear from some guy just trying to make rhyme schemes. // 8

Overall Impression: I believe this is the best thrice cd so far, its just very unrecognized. My favorite song on the album is definately "Ultra Blue" probably... and if this cd was ever to be taken from me, not only would I buy a new one, I would track down who took it just so I could show them how much I love it =P. // 10

Identity Crisis Reviewed by: Zamboni, on october 05, 2005

Sound: On the first full-length release from Thrice, they threw themselves into a whole new dimention of music. I say this because they made a sound for themselves that no one had ever made before. Their amazing mix of metal, punk, and post-hardcore styles make them a joy to listen to, if not just for the originality of it all. Thrice demonstrates their musicianship, as well as their songwriting skills on every song on this album, and they exceed at both. // 10

Lyrics: I've said it many times before, and I will say it again: Dustin Kensrue writes some of the most meaningful, deep, emotional lyrics ever. With lines like "Image marred by self-infliction/Private wars on my soul waged/Heart is scarred by dual volitions/Juxtaposed and both engaged," you can see how he uses great words to communicate his meanings, and how his lines flow so smoothly together. And what sets Thrice apart from other metal-influenced bands is that Dustin can actually sing. He's not just a screamer, he can actually hold a tune. With that said, he has an amazing scream as well, and he fits his melodies perfectly to the music and lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Definitely, this is one of the best albums I own. I say that alot with my reviews, and in this case, it is no different. This is one of those CD's which you can put on your stereo and just let it play; every song is excellent. If this album got stolen or was lost, I would get a new one without question. I've been listening to this CD on and off for a couple years now, and I still love it as much as I did the first time I evey played it. // 10

More Thrice reviews rating latest review
+ Anthology 8.5 10/31/2012