Red Sky [EP] Review

Genres: Rock
 9.2
 8.4
Red Sky [EP] Reviewed by: Zamboni, on april 05, 2006

Sound: The post-hardcore quartet from Irving, CA have come out with a brand new EP that, once again, will blow the minds of past fans and future listeners. It contains two B-sides that didn't make the album Vheissu, "Flags Of Dawn" and "Weight Of Glory," as well as four acoustic, live performances. The live tracks include "Under A Killing Moon," "For Miles," "Red Sky" and "Of Dust And Nations." Thrice has managed to make past recordings shine both as originals, and as acoustic re-makings, not once, but twice. The first time with "If We Could Only See Us Now," and now with the current "Red Sky EP." // 10

Lyrics: Dustin Kensrue, as I've said many times before, is one of the best lyricists I have ever encountered in modern music. He writes about intensely deep subjects and ideas that are greatly influenced by literary works and scriptures. If anything, buy this record to hear the amazing lyrics of Dustin in greater clairity than ever. You won't regret it, and all you'll end up doing is expanding your mind and your vocabulary. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, Thrice has made an album that I'm proud to own. It encompasses so much of their sound and feel that this EP is better than most full-lengths I've purchased. All the songs are amazingly done, and the re-makes almost feel like completely new songs because of their setting and melodic feel. I would reccomend this album to fans of almost any genre, because it defies them all, and if lost or stolen, I'd rebuy it in an instant. // 10

Red Sky [EP] Reviewed by: Codezzzz, on june 08, 2006

Sound: Well I just got this EP today because I was curious as to how Thrice handles itself on stage with all the different instruments that were used in Vheissu and I have to say, For Miles, Red Sky, and Of Dust and Nations were even more amazing on the live versions. As for the 2 new songs which were Vheissu B-Sides, Flags of Dawn just blew me away with its epicness. I never saw it coming with such a slow and soft song. When I was expecting the same for Weight of Glory, I became even more amazed to hear Thrice begin with such a revival of their hardcore roots and then combine it with their new evolutional trailblazed material. It was such an amazing combination of the greatest types of songs from about 5-10 years ago with today that I was somewhat relieved to hear the next song as a familiar old tune known as Under a Killing Moon live. It's nice to know that Thrice still recognizes what got them where they are today and appreciates it as much as their new version of themselves. // 10

Lyrics: Dustin appears to put as much raw passion and effort each time he sings. Whether it be live or recorded, it always ends up magnificent and amazing. Not much else to say except that Dustin has always had such a knack for creating not only good lyrics but the ability to sing them so perfectly with every song of theirs. // 10

Overall Impression: Just wow. I was almost as excited after listening to this as I was when I was done Vheissu for the first time. Hearing something with such deep intensity needs a few moments to sink in before you make your decision either this was amazing or this was f--king amazing. // 10

More Thrice reviews rating latest review
+ Anthology 8.5 10/31/2012