The Artist In The Ambulance Review

9.6
 9.3
 9.9
The Artist In The Ambulance Reviewed by: Turvz, on january 13, 2005

Sound: I've been listening to Thrice since Identity Crisis, and they just keep getting better. The sound on this album is tighter than ever. Tracks such as "All Thats Left" and "Stare At The Sun" are more of an easy listening. Then songs such as "Silhouette" and "Paper Tigers" just let it all out. As always, Brekenridge shows off his skills, and amazing drumming, and Teranishi busts out some nice guitar riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Everyone can compare to at least one song on this album. It just has to do with life. The lyrics from Thrice are written from experience, not just flavoury junk that people want to hear. The lyrics and the music move extremely well together. Kensrue can not only play guitar, but sing as well. Whether it be Screaming, or singing as emotionally as it gets, he really busts it out on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely ony of Thrice's top albums. Even though "The Illusion Of Safety" is my favourite, this one comes in next. I love every song on this album. If this were stolen, broken, or lost, I would definitely go and buy another copy of it right away. It hasn't left my CD player since release. Go buy it! You wont regret it. // 10

The Artist In The Ambulance Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on november 25, 2003

Sound: Thrice's sound has, quite notably, moved on from that of their equally awesome second album "The Illusion of Safety". The outcome is similar in the way that it is another stunning example of the the group's talent, but it differs quite significantly, sounding less like a punk-fused-with-hardcore record, and more hardcore-fused-with-punk. The inclusion of violins and a piano adds to the dense atmosphere, and it is clear from the first few moments of opener "Cold Cash and Colder Hearts" that Thrice know how to make a good song. Everything falls neatly into place, never sounding boring or over-used. One criticism I have heard, and can relate to, is that of a lot of the songs sounding similar. For this reason, I unfortunately don't feel like I can award the album an 'Excellent' rating on sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent. Dustin has repeatedly distanced his lyrical style from that of, for example, Davey Havok or Matt Skiba, claiming that he doesn't have a death obsession, he's "just dark". There is, despite his words, a generally pessimistic theme throughout the album. From death to underachieving to, well...death, the album's lyrics are simple without being cliched. Lines come and go with apparent ease, making sense to the listener and providing catchy little rhyming pairings every so often (this seems to be the main lyrical style used). Vocally, Dustin has a good voice, which fits with the lyrics and the music, and is equally good at screaming. // 10

Overall Impression: Whilst greatly differeing in style from previous Thrice offerings, this album is still extremely good. The only reason I haven't awarded it full marks is because the songs do tend to blur together at times, and, as was for me the only problem with "The Illusion of Safety", sound a a bit too similar. This, however, is my only criticism of a band who are clearly maturing both in musical ability and in production. Don't be put off by Joel Madden (of Good Charlotte 'fame') and his constant high-pitched references to Thrice at any award ceremony he happens to be allowed into, this band is on the up, and has what it takes to set them apart form the crowd. I can highly recommend this album to fans of Funeral for a Friend, The Movielife and perhaps stuff like (newer) Sum 41. Highlights include "Cold Cash and Colder Hearts", "Under A Killing Moon", the single "All That's Left", the heavier effort "Silhouette", and the title track "The Artist In The Ambulance". Overall, a great album from a fast-maturing band. // 10

The Artist In The Ambulance Reviewed by: risenfenix24, on january 06, 2004

Sound: This CD is by far one of the best I have heard in quite a while. THRICE has a sound that falls somewhere between hardcore, punk and emo that is also infused with incredible guitar melodies. "The Artist in the Ambulance" is one of those discs I can throw into my CD player and let it play all the way through, there is not one bad track on this disc. My fave has to be the title cut, a song that the first time I heard on the radio I actually told my girlfriend to be quiet while I listened to it, it was that powerful. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark and depressing, definitely not something I'd listen to if I were suicidal. But in alot of the songs there are messages, especially in "Blood Clots and Black Holes", a song I interpret as a shot at modern health care and "The Melting Point of Wax", a retelling of the story of Icarus. Dustin Kensrue has a wide range of vocals, from screaming in "Silhouette" and "Hoods on Peregrine" to sounding almost like Jim Adkins (Jimmy Eat World) in "Stare At The Sun" and "The Artist in the Ambulance". Overall the singing and lyrics are good but, they need to be a bit cheerier in my view. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before, this CD is probably the best I have heard all year, ranking right up there with Evanescence and Fuel. Thrice has a unique sound and even though this record may not sell ten million copies it is still a record to go out and buy. // 10

The Artist In The Ambulance Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2004

Sound: Well I listen to most punk rock and I've heard of them before and I enjoyed tracks like stare into the sun. There is alot of hard rock (screaming) personally i think its really shitty when bands do that mosyt of the time ( exception brand new) but I guess thats their style. Nice guitars in there like a techno kind of guitar twang but I hate most of the songs on here due to screaming. // 4

Lyrics: Some songs or what I listened to have very good lyrics. The other songs that I pained my self had all screaming which pissed me off and they could make some sense to some people. // 6

Overall Impression: I'm rating this as like someone just picking up this album. I'm not being biased liek everyone does. Someone revieweing this cd could give it a 5 and that because they like hard rock but i'm being true here. And Thrice has very high potential songs when they ain't screamign sound amazing. And some songs where they scream. It's in good intention so it rocks but I hate when bands just do that as their song then they suck. This is an average cd that makes me want more of the good stuff. // 4

The Artist In The Ambulance Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2004

Sound: This is an awesome hardcore emo alternative rock sorta album. Their guitar player is incredibly technical and knows how to make incredible sounds and solos rip from his guitar. The sound works well with the excellent sound of the vocalist. This album deserves this 5. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics make sense something most hardcore bands lack. Working well with the guitar, it is a true example of how hardcore emo styles of music should be played. // 10

Overall Impression: Great album. I listen to it more than most of my other cds (which is a lot). I think all of the songs are incredible and I love the guitar talent shown. I would buy it again easily if lost and it was worth buying in the first place. Thrice is f--king awesome. // 10

The Artist In The Ambulance Reviewed by: Atreyu014, on september 01, 2004

Sound: To start off Thrice is like the sweetist band and as soon as you put the cd in the first song will blow you away. Althuogh the songs are not quite as "hardcore" as their other cds such as less screaming, But dont think that takes away form the over all quality of the cd. Such as the main song "Artist In The Ambulance" takes it down some to give the lyrics a better feel. // 10

Lyrics: THRICE matched both the music and lyrics perfectly. They give you lyrics that you have to think about almost like poetry in song but have the meaning of the band and their backround. To really give you that feel like your living their life. Plus the singer pulls every thing together with a perfect harmony. // 10

Overall Impression: Thrice and Atreyu do compare but I personaly think that Thrice would win the all around battle. This is one of thoes cds that when you buy it you dont walk around all day repeting one or two songs, because every song on this album is even better than the last. If I ever lost it I would definitly buy it again. // 10

The Artist In The Ambulance Reviewed by: Sirnogbert, on march 12, 2005

Sound: From the very second you press the play button you will be glad to have ears. This band is criminally underrated in the UK, but after hearing their music you have to wonder why. The album as a whole is quite loud, but with some welcome quieter songs like Stare At The Sun, but even the quieter songs have slight heavy overtones. All in all they are well deserving of this 5. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD mean so much more than what ypu hear. Unfortunatly I am imn no mood to analyse them but they are somrthing special. Dustin is capable of singing in tune and screaming, and unlike most screamers you can stil make him out. Another 5. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favourite albums of all time. My favourite tracks would have to be All That's Left, Stare At The Sun, The Melting Point Of Wax and The Artist In The Ambulance. If this CD was thiefed or losted I would buy another the same day as I couldn't stand not having it. // 10

The Artist In The Ambulance Reviewed by: Zamboni, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Thrice took a large step to full-on metal in "The Artist In The Ambulance." They really show off their musical chops, and they can do it without sacrificing a good, memorable song. The fact that Thrice can write amazing songs while still allowing their musical ability to shine through is a feat that not many bands these days can accomplish. If you want to play some songs off this album, you better be prepared to tune to Drop C! That's what Thrice writes all their songs in on this album. It helps fit the singer's (Dustin Kensrue) vocal range better. // 10

Lyrics: If you're looking for good lyrics, you came to the right album. Dustin Kensrue's lyrics are some of the best I've ever read. He writes about topics that are meaningful to everyone, and he does so in a deep and powerful way. He makes his lyrics fit the music perfectly, and his screams are strong and perfectly timed. Even though this album has a metal setting, Dustin is not like other metal singers who just scream and scream. He actually has a good singing voice too. That said, when he screams, it shakes you to your bones. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a favorite album of mine. As you may realize from my other reviews, I like it when I can let an album just play, and there are no bad songs. This is definitely one of those CDs. All the songs are impressive, and all the songs are different. A rare thing in today's music. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy it again in a second. Definitely an album worth buying again and again. // 10

The Artist In The Ambulance Reviewed by: marley_rules, on july 03, 2006

Sound: Thrice are great at putting together songs, and filling in gaps, something they have gradually improved on. This album sounds a lot more polished than their previous releases, and the songs have more structure. Teppei Teranishi is a great guitarist, though he doesn't show off his range of skills fully on this album. Riley is an awesome drummer, and this album proves that. Ed is getting better at the bass, as evident in "Stare At The Sun." This is a great sounding album that I have loved ever since I bought it on the recommendation of a wise man at JB Hi-Fi. // 10

Lyrics: Dustin Kensrue's lyrics are strong and emotional, and suit this style of music perfectly. He is an excellent singer, considering he has to juggle singing with rhythm guitar. The things he sings about are not your everyday topics, such as "Melting Point Of Wax", a retelling of the story of Icarus, whose wings melted. // 10

Overall Impression: I think Thrice have the potential to become an extremely influential band (if they were given more airplay) and are a notch above all th other bands in this hardrock/metal genre. The best songs for me from this album are Artist in the Ambulance, Hoods On Peregrine, Silhouette, Cold Cash and Colder Hearts, and Melting Point Of Wax. If it was stolen, I would hunt down the thief, then ask him his views on this album, and if he disliked it, I'd clock him a few to the head. // 10

More Thrice reviews rating latest review
+ Anthology 8.5 10/31/2012