The Illusion Of Safety Review

Lyrics: 9.7
 9.5
 9.9
The Illusion Of Safety Reviewed by: 6_String_Addict, on november 19, 2003

Sound: On their second full-length release "The Illusion of Safety", Thrice presents the perfect mix of punk, hardcore, emo, and metal. Most songs are very fast paced and highly energetic, perfect to fit your headbanging needs. Guitarists Dustin Kensrue and Teppei Teranishi take the classic roles of rhythm and lead, respectively, with Kensrue bashing out on downtuned powerchords as Teranishi's fingers fly up the fretboard with complex riffs that will make your head spin. The only downside to the sound is that it overall sounds pretty much the same (with the exception of the lighter track 'Trust'). The sound should be satisfying to any heavy music lovers. // 10

Lyrics: I am a big fan of Geoff Rickly (Thursday) and his lyrics before I ever listened to Thrice. I was surprised once I listened into Kensrue's lyrics that they were actually deeper than Rickly's. The 5th track "Deadbolt" (my personal favorite) has lyrics that seem to flow like a story. The 7th track "The Red Death" seems to be cleverly based off the Edgar Allen Poe short story "The Masque of the Red Death". Kensrue's dynamics and rhythm in his vocals fit perfectly to the feel of the guitar riffs. Kensrue does great harmony overdubs, his screaming is not the best I've heard but he does it well. // 10

Overall Impression: With Thrice being my favorite band, this is definitely my favorite album of all time. Every song on the album is outstanding with the exception of #2 "A Subtle Dagger", which is just mediocre. I love the emotion and the musical skill involved in this album, and just the overall feel. Once again, the only thing I hold towards this album is the monotony, but the amazing songs get me past that. If this CD was stolen and I failed in tracking down the cursed criminal, I would definitely go buy another copy. If you love heavy music, deep lyrics, and great musicianship, I highly recommend giving this album a shot. // 10

The Illusion Of Safety Reviewed by: punkgtrst096, on june 24, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is the best. I think this is the best Thrice album ever - the guitar riffs are amazing. Music styles in this album (that I could tell) were mostly hardcore. The screaming is great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. Dustin can really write some good stuff. It's very metaphorical, so you have no clue what he's talking about unless you really think "Outside The Box". Dustin is a very good singer, it's cool how he can be singing one second and then screaming the next, he makes the transistion very well. // 10

Overall Impression: I think thish is the best album by Thrice because it's just so well put together. Everything fits in. It's not like you're listening to it and you're like, "What the hell is that solo doing there? That sounds like crap!" or "The lyrics dont go with the music". Everything is so well composed in this album, it's hard to find anything negative about it. I'd buy this again if it was lost or stolen, or if I ran into the person who took it I'd probably ask for it back. If they wouldn't give it back I'd hit the bitch in the face. My favorite songs on this album are "Deadbolt", "See You In The Shallows", and "To Awake And Avenge The Dead", but that's not saying I don't like the rest, because the whole album kicks ass. It's worth buying. // 10

The Illusion Of Safety Reviewed by: varialflip0590, on june 30, 2004

Sound: Sound, hmm, not much to say about the sound on this record, except that I find it better than the sound on the other records. I found this album was a lot better recording-wise, even though Artist in the Ambulance was done by Island Records, this record just sounded clearer. Other than that, this album basically had everything the other thrice albums have. A few light songs, some fast songs, and some really very heavy songs. // 10

Lyrics: All I can say is wow, this album had some really well written lyrics. I think this album had the best lyrics out of all the albums. Dustin Kensrue the writer and singer of Thrice is definitely a talented singer/writer. He sings honestly and doesn't wine about getting dumped or getting drunked, which is a plus for me. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite album in the Thrice trilogy. I definitely would recommend buying this album. I find that the only album I like more than this would be the Brand New album Deja Entendu, which is a band with another talented lyricist. I only wish Thrice played more heavy songs on this album, like tracks 1,2,4,9,and 12. If somebody stole my album, or I lost it, I would personally hunt the person down and subject him to a week in Michael Jackson's mansion as torture. // 10

The Illusion Of Safety Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 21, 2005

Sound: This is my favorite out of all the Thrice CD's. The recording in my opinion is the best and the mixture of heavy/calm songs is fantastic. The transitions between every single song is perfect. Can't wait for the DVD in March. // 10

Lyrics: Dustin Kensrue is a truly talented artist when it comes to lyrics. Lyrics matche the music and attitude of the song sound completely. Never cracks on a note and is always on tune. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD compares with no other cds out there but is excellent at the same time. The most impressive song is number 5 and is probably Thrice's most widely known song. I love everything about this CD and can never get enough of it. If it was ever lost or stolen I would definitely have to steal some money and go buy it that instant. // 10

The Illusion Of Safety Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2005

Sound: Great sound. Smashing distorted guitars. Drowning vocals. Killer bass. Fast and heart pounding drums. This is a good sound compared to the other thrice albums. But there could be more screaming or yelling to get the intesity and heaviness up to match the guitar. Good sound for ya Thrice keep it up. // 10

Lyrics: I liked the lyrics a whole lot but I found that I couldnt give it a 5 because they all arent perfect even though these lyrics are a lot better than bands out there today. And I dont know why a lot of people tend to group and associate thrice with emo bands like Thursday and Brand New and Taking Back Sunday or Hawthorne bites or whatever. I just dont think that thrice is really emo. I know this dosen't have much to do with lyrics but I just wanted to bring this up because another situation occured like this where people started calling Killswitch Engage emo metal. I just don't think that it fits really. But my point is don't listen to people when they say bands like Thrice (or Thrice) are just another crappy emo band. // 8

Overall Impression: I got this album a day ago. I was I a rush and I was actually going to buy this other album but then I saw thrice in the corner and I gave it a thought for a second. I put the album that I had in my hand down and picked up the thrice album. And I'm truly glad I did. This album rocks. Compared to the other thrice albums this is just as heay I think maybe heavier guitar. But I think it has more screaming on The Artist In The Ambulance. I loved the guitar in some songs they kind of have mini solos and fast techno like guitar kinda. My favorite songs so far are 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and 12. And theres like 13 songs on the whole cd. Truly good album. I also really like the intro on track 12. It kinda reminded me of the deftones for some reason. If it were stolen or I lost it yeah id buy it again. The only complaint I have which is kinda silly is the color variation and cordination on the CD. The colors on the front cover are blue and black. The color on the back cover is lime green, and the CD itself is yellow. Kinda weird to me but its really no big deal. I guess I would be the type of person to point it out. Anyway enjoy the album when you pick it up. // 10

The Illusion Of Safety Reviewed by: Zamboni, on september 29, 2005

Sound: Thrice really took on a metal edge here in The Illusion Of Safety. And they are very, very good at it. They've made the perfect blend of metal, post-hardcore, and punk, so the product is something completely new and inspirational. // 10

Lyrics: Dustin Kensrue, as I've said before in other reviews, is one of the best writers I've ever heard of. He has deep messages in his songs, and he writes them so well, that the lyrics are a form of art unto themselves. They fit very well to the music, with his perfectly timed screams, and his obvious singing skill. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favorites ever. There is not one bad song on the CD, and in fact, all the songs are equally impressive and beautiful. On this album, Thrice has clearly demonstrated their skill, and their amazing songwriting skills. If lost, I would instantly buy another copy. Very good album. Perfect 10/10 on everything. // 10

More Thrice reviews rating latest review
+ Anthology 8.5 10/31/2012