Vheissu Review

thrice: Vheissu
Release Date: Oct 18, 2005
Label: Island
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Hardcore, Punk Revival, Punk-Pop, Emo
They represent the leap Thrice has evidently made, to go beyond the usual hardcore and metal dynamics and conventional emo devotion to become a guiding light.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.9
Vheissu Reviewed by: Zamboni, on october 18, 2005

Sound: Thrice's newest release, "Vheissu" marks a unique change of pace for the Irving, CA quartet. They've taken a progressive, experimental tone to their post-hardcore/metal edge, and created a beautiful masterpiece, worthy of the title "epic." This is an amazing work, and it's good to see Thrice continually evolving their sound and styles. The name "Vheissu" was inspired by a book Dustin (lead vocals/guitar) Kensrue read, and is a rough conjunction of the phrase "wie heisst du" or "who are you?" // 10

Lyrics: Again, Dustin has managed to write amazingly deep and touching lyrics. His lyrics flow like poetry, and every song on this album has great personal meaning and feeling. He sings with such passion and vigor, it's hard not completely get sucked into the mood and emotions of the song. He has a great singing voice, and along with that voice, he has a powerful, growling scream that shakes walls. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD may be one of the best I own. It's just amazing. I cannot put it fully into words, because this album defies traditional explanation. It's a masterwork that can't be compared to anything else, for Thrice has made a sound all their own from the very beginning, and continue to evolve and grow as both musicians and songwriters. This album receives a perfect 10/10 from me. I would reccomend picking it up as soon as you can. I assure you that you won't be dissapointed. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 19, 2005

Sound: This album really sets Thrice apart from the crowd of emo-core bands out there. Synthesizers, piano, rhodes, hammonds, glockenspiels, and even music boxes all play a big part in this album and really add to the overall effect of the album. The band has moved away from technical guitars and drums and has moved into much more solid songwriting. You won't be hearing as many flooring guitar parts as you've heard in the past albums, but it works out for the better in the total effect of the album. The songs are just as focused as their old stuff and Dustin is still screaming but the album is a much more artistic and varied piece of work than "Artist In The Ambulance" or "Identity Crisis." The overall quality of the sound is phenomenal. It was mixed very well. You can tell that they put a lot of work into getting the mixing perfect. If you're deeply attached to Thrice's first two albums and aren't willing to broaden your tastes you probably won't like this album as much. If you can listen to it with an open mind and let the songs emotion wash over you, you will realize that this is the best emo-core album to come out in years. When these guys rock you can tell they rock for a reason. // 10

Lyrics: There are common themes running throughout this album. Themes of imprisonment, redemption, human worth, and hope. The lead singer is quite obviously religous. "Image Of The Invisible" is obviously a reference to the Biblical idea that we are created in God's image. Christians will immediately recognize lines such as, "But all the world will hate us" and "The sea will give up it's dead" as being straight out of the Bible. In my opinion, "Image Of The Invisible" is a battle cry for people to cry out for justice because of the inherent worth in human beings. There isn't a single song that shows really weak lyrics. I think the lyrics in "Image Of The Invisible," "Between The End And Where We Lie," and "For Miles" to be the most profound lyrics I've heard in rock music for quite awhile. Dustin isn't singing about his hangover or his teenage angst or his problems with his girlfriend. He's singing about God and life and hope and love. // 10

Overall Impression: Unique is the best word for this album although there are others that also apply; stunning, epic, magnificent, artistic, profound. The album is amazingly unified and it is obvious that the order of tracks was very specificly chosen. I don't really know what else to say about it so go buy this album. Don't download it off of Kazaa because these guys deserve the money for the hard work they put into this album. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 19, 2005

Sound: Before I write a review for this, you should all know I am a huge Thrice fan, I own all of thrices other recordings including 'If We Could Only See Us Now' and I love them all. Vheissu made me want to cry, their sound has not evolved, but rather degenerated into an ugly abomination of radio rock. Dustin didn't use his voice to its full potential on the album and Teppei's ussually stellar chops didn't complement the singing at all. Image Of The Invisble is a good song, unfortunatly, it is the only good song. // 1

Lyrics: The lyrics are fine, they always are. I will not bash them for their lyric-writing skill. // 8

Overall Impression: If this is the first album you've heard by Thrice, I'm sorry it had to be this, go check out 'Illusion Of Safety' or 'The Artist In The Ambulance' there is nothing 'Vheissu' has that their other albums can't do ten times as well. If you are planning on buying this record, make sure you kiss your $15 before you flush it down the toilet. // 1

Vheissu Reviewed by: duncang, on january 31, 2006

Sound: Thrice were once your favourite fiery emocore band, who flickered with progressing potential. Vheissu is where all that potential is unleashed. Experimenting with everything, from lingering piano lines to synth violins to music boxes, this band have produced one of the most unique albums of recent years. Each song has its quiet, reflective moments, energetic, heavy moments and anthemic, sing-along moments. I found in the sleeve a note stating that a percentage of the proceeds from this album would go to charity, handpicked by the band. // 10

Lyrics: Dustin Kensrue's lyrics fascinate me. The albums artwork is littered with powerful lines from the album, and interesting images. The lyrics are rebel-rousing at moments, calming at moments and powerful and deep throughout. Kensrue clearly makes religious references, along with many other references. My favourite album lyrically for a long time. To see just how deep it goes, read my overall section, which explains most of the lyrics for each song. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Image Of The Invisible - I am dissapointed that they released this as the first single, not because it is a bad song (for from it, one of my favourites) but because it shows none of the depths and experimentation used in the rest of Vheissu, which means they won't bring so many new fans in. Catchy guitar line, and an instantly recognisable verse. Excellent vocal performance, impressive drumming and some great rhythmic guitar work too. Anthemic chorus and powerful lyrics. 02. Between The End And Where We Lie - every instrument is used to massive effect here, with a creeping piano line behind a brilliantly muffled drum beat emerging into a great rock song, with synthisised guitars and some great bass sounds. The verses have some very catchy lyrics, and the chorus makes you forget all your problems, just for a few seconds. 03. The Earth Will Shake - yet more brilliantly recorded sounds, getting the exact sound Thrice wanted. Great melodic verses, with some great lyrics about fighting against opression and breaking free from this mortal life. First tastes of Dustin's shouting for this album, and towards the end, he is talking about the apocalypse, which explains the song title. Excellent guitar sounds during shouting periods, and an intruiging call and response interlude. 04. Atlantic - simply a beautiful song, about a lover who has moved far away, and the character submerging himself in other things to try and forget about it. A total sing-along anthem. 05. For Miles - the piano sucks you in, and you don't come out for another 4 and a half minutes. This song is about making the most of your life, but making more of other people's. It's interesting, because the opening stanza is talking about the end of mortal life, but it moves on to what you should do in life. A guitar interlude, backed by choir sounds really intruiges you, and how much effort Thrice, and espeically Dustin, have put into this. Dustin sounds very angry when shouting towards the end, singing possibly from the perspective of a preacher. 06. Hold Fast Hope - this is a lyrical and musical retelling of a Biblical story, about Jonah, who runs away from God, and is consumed by a whale ("ribs will raise cathedrals"). An angry, heavy song, which has a brilliant melodic interlude and chorus, with a catchy, but unoriginal guitar riff. 07. Music Box - another lyrically beautiful song, melding well with the melodies. A song about lifting yourself up, and reasurring yourself that you are not alone. The opening music box sound fits brilliantly into Dustin's vocal melody, and the drum beat, which explodes into a massive anthemic chorus featuring one of the best vocal performances on the album. 08. Like Moths To Flame - a haunting piano intro flips onn its head, into a headbanging, moshing monster of a riff. A verse which talks of Peter's betrayal of Jesus, from the eyes of Luke, and builds up to a powerful chorus, reinstating loyalty. The haunting piano reappears, and sends shivers down your spine, then there is a back-breaking variation on the testosterone-packed riff. 09. Of Dust And Nations - a mysterious guitar line echoes throughout the song, being in the single form, or with the energetic drum beat and delay pedals. More deep lyrics, with all kinds of meanings. But from my perspective, this song is about eternal bliss, and looking back on a life that was worthless compared to what you become after life. I love the lines "Step out from time, see the dust of nations". 10. Stand And Feel Your Worth - one of the more anthemic and intruiging songs on Vheissu, this is about God, and living up to the plan he made for humanity. The more and more I look at these lyrics, the more I see inside that yellow and green album cover, images on the cover spring into my head while listening to the songs, and the phrases used reoccur in this album. The song itself has another piano part, which plays the part of the guitar in all but the chorus. A monster of a song live, this is Thrice at their finest. 11. Red Sky - a song with so many possible meanings and references it is mindboggling to think how one man could write such a masterpiece. Possibly about the apocalypse, possibly about appreciating life, twisting with every word, it makes you think, so much. Such anthems deserve to be among the best songs ever. Vheissu is an astonishing album. Looking into the lyrics has made me spin my perspective on life. The mottos and phrases in the lyrics have become more personal to me than anything in music before. As Vheissu comes to a close with that fading guitar, I feel a fresh start inside me. I realise I have given every song a 10 out of 10 rating, but if you forget lyrics (which pretty much guaranteed at least a 9 for each song) and rate them just by music, I am sure it would not be so glowing, but every song is almost musically perfect. An album which will stay with me for life. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 20, 2005

Sound: First of all I am appalled at what some people have said about this CD. Thrice deserves better than what people have said. You just cannot listen to this album and say it's not brilliant. I know it's Thrice, not Coldplay, not Tool, not whoever the songs may remind you of. So you would be expecting the usual heavy chugging riffs, and fast pased beats, and those teppei licks we all know and love, but this time it's different. You still get a bit of it but not in big doses. This time they took a more progressive, experimental style. And they created their softest material to date. But they also in afew songs maintain the same heaviness they've always had. Maybe not heavier but just as heavy. The thing that will bug people with this record is that it's so different from other works by Thrice. And ultimately it will just be hard to accept it. But it's a brilliant CD. It really is. The sound is fresh and they still have kept major elements that made them good in the first place. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the best Thrice lyrics to date. Period. But their alaways good. And Dustins singing is still great. Not as much screams though. But the incredible clean singing covers it. His voice is soothing and good to hear. Its also not as poppy as it used to be. // 10

Overall Impression: Incredible album. This Thrice CD deserves the title of epic. There is still great riffs and beats and singing. It's all there but like I said, not as heavy of a dose. My favorites are IotI, The Earth Will Shake, Atlantic, For Miles, Dust Of Nations, Music Box, and Red Sky. But that will probably change soon. Really there all great. And it's good to see them take a risk by taking a different path. Original, epic, beautiful, would be a few words to describe this. If I lost it I would go out and buy it again. I reccommend it to others, but just keep in mind that it wont be the usual Thrice your used to. And that's okay with me. In fact it's great with me. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: Secondhandloser, on october 21, 2005

Sound: This CD is awesome because it's not what you expect. Thrice manages to never sound the same while always sounding like themselves. Between their last CD (If only we doesn't count because it is all B-sides and live stuff) Tepei has been learning to play jazz piano, and tossing that in with Thrice's deep and heavy downtuned guitar makes for a unique sound. // 9

Lyrics: Devin is one of the few singer-songwriters today (especially in this genre) that can come up with cohesive, powerful, and interesting lyrics that aren't overly repetitive. That was the first thing that drew me to Thrice, they aren't another Sum41 with lyrics that are made to rhyme with no thought as to what they say. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this CD. It is probably the best I've bought in quite a while. If it were stolen I'd congratulate the guy on getting a really good CD, and then I'd go buy another. // 9

Vheissu Reviewed by: _RockOnForever_, on october 22, 2005

Sound: When I heard the first track of "Vheissu," I thought it was just another "Identity Crisis" or "Artist In The Ambulance" (which were/are good albums). By the second song, I realized that Thrice has extending their musicianship and songwriting skills to encompass more than their well-known hardcore/post-hardcore/metal sound. "Vheissu" is very reminiscent of experimental/progressive/punk revival bands such as Mars Volta. Instead of the usual, all-out headbanging distortion (mainly those riff-roaring licks by lead guitarist Teppei Teranishi) and the like, Thrice also incorporates keyboards, rhodes, and even a unique element of Morse Code. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are meaningful in the traditional Thrice sense, using such rhetorical strategies as metaphors and symbolism and including themes of humanity, hope, faith, strength, etc. The lyrics combined with the music make a very poetic feel to each song. It's great to listen to Dustin Kensrue's growth and development as the head lyricist for the band. // 9

Overall Impression: If you are unopen to change in bands' sound and style, don't buy this album. This album was meant to test their skills of song and lyric writing, not to pull out another "Identity Crisis" or "Artist In The Ambulance." If you're curious on Thrice's sound on "Vheissu," check out "Image Of The Invisible," "The Earth Will Shake," "Hold Fast Hope" and "Stand And Feel Your Worth." If you truly love Thrice no matter what, you will appreciate the effort they have put into this album and put it up with your Thrice collection. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: deadbolt, on october 24, 2005

Sound: My impression of the band has always been positive. Their music (although the genre they fall under is a little ridiculous) has always been a heavy guitar sound and great singing/screaming. This record has minimal amounts of that. To me this entire album sounds like a "made for radio" record. Style is slow, and the singing reminds me of Thursday (whiny and full of tears, emo). // 3

Lyrics: Lyrics as usual are very good. Dustin is a good singer however on this album I get sick of his voice. I'll give it 6 because I know his previous recordings, but really this album deserves a 3. // 6

Overall Impression: Like I said its not like any of their other albums, period. What I hate about this album is the fact that bands mimic something Nirvana did when they released In Utero. I'm saying Nirvana put out an album not like their last, different sounding and distant (to get away from the mainstream). Thrice has done this but in the opposite way; they want to sellout. What's worse is fans stick by this album and done see through it. Teppei said that Thrice is sick of the "scene," well we're sick of them too. // 3

Vheissu Reviewed by: xtract, on december 27, 2005

Sound: First off, I love Thrice. They have such a unique sound to them. The songs were so well blended and well put together. With Vheissu, they surly did go in a new direction. It sounds pretty good, pretty mellow. The biggest problem is that it is not what older Thrice sounds like, and Thrice fans are afraid of loosing the sound that they love. I hope they evolve from this album and start mixing it up and blending in old styles with new. I think this album was just a test and just a phase. The CD's sound is really mellow. It is very relaxing, but not that powerful. Listen to old Thrice, much more power and emotion, but this new CD has its own qualities. The mass ammounts of instruments they used is very good sounding. // 9

Lyrics: Thrice has always has great lyrics, and its the same with this album. They are all in depth and meaningful. The lyrics blend with the music, as does his voice. The only problem I have regarding singing on this album is it doesn't give out power like old Thrice did. The singing put you into the song, it took you away from this world and into a new one. It was what made Thrice ultimately amazing to me, at least. This album the passion is, in some ways, gone from the singing. The singing also sounds drowned out in the music. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't think this CD should really be compared to other albums by other artists, and especially other Thrice albums. The change in it all angers people, me at least. When writing this review, I have been looking at the CD as a whole and not comparing it to old Thrice. Obviously, the reasons I would hate this album, are because it is not even close to old Thrice sounding and thats sad, and because of the vocals seeming too much like their are in the background. Some of the better songs on the album are: Image Of The Invisible, Music Box, For Miles, and Of Dust And Nations. If this CD were stolen or lost I would probably just wait for it to get real cheap to buy it again, maybe. // 8

Vheissu Reviewed by: 1234flip, on february 13, 2006

Sound: I think their sound is a little more calm in the calm parts and a little more hard in the hard places. This CD is probably their best but the rest come pretty close I think the guitarist is much better on this album that on the last one. The effects are overall amazing even though they are very simple. They are one of the few bands that break the mold they've definatelly got the sound together. // 10

Lyrics: The overall impression of the lyrics is that they know the way and they are trying to share it with you. I also know the way and it is through Jesus Christ He is the way the truth and the life and that is the only way to not go to the burning lake of fire called hell for short. All you gotta do is pray for forgiveness and welcome him into your heart. The lyrics go great with the music it's like an amazing mix of amazingness. The singer has skills that he shows a little more on this album that the last one. // 10

Overall Impression: It is probably one of my favorite bands and definately one of my favorite albums. It stands out from the crowd of emo music it pushes the limit of emo music which is very hard to do. There are too many good songs to choose from but I'd have to say either Image of the Invisable or Hold Fast Hope! I love the whole album htere is one part I don't like though and it's how Dustin sings the "I know one day" part for, "For Miles" (the 5th song). If it were stolen I'd go out to the nearest store the minute it was stolen and buy it. A ten is hard to get and well Thrice has one in every section for this whole album. I love this album! // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: Sirnogbert, on april 04, 2006

Sound: With Vheissu Thrice have once again expanded and improved on their sound. The album contains some of their heaviest material, but also their lightest giving it a great overall sound. As a whole it sounds much more mature, with the only major complaint being that the guitar seems to have lost it's intensity compared to The Illusion Of Safety or The Artist In The Ambulance. However, the inclusion of piano and synth on many tracks more than makes up for this, and shows the band's diversity. // 8

Lyrics: Dustin has once again proved himself. His mix of melodic clean vocals with gritty shouting are a great contrast to each other and make the album feel more varied. the lyrics are, as always, incredibly deep, with subtle messages hidden within. The lyrics also lack that manufactured sound that most other bands have, setting them high above the competition. // 8

Overall Impression: While this is not Thrice's best release it does what it set out to do: sound different from previous releases, while maintaining basic elements of what makes Thrice Thrice. Highlights of the album include For Miles, Atlantic, Red Sky and Stand And Feel Your Worth. Each song on the album is it's own, with an ease of transition between each track. // 9

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 20, 2005

Sound: At first I was very surprised by this album having heard all of their previous albums. Unlike the other albums, this album has a more mellow, quiet feel to it, but at the same time, it shakes the walls with an extremely powerful message through and through. Thrice accomplished exactly what they wanted, which is to not hammer heavy riffs all the way through a song, but expression their will to be different and their amazing sense of creativity. // 10

Lyrics: Dustin Kensrue has never failed us with his lyrics. His words are very metaphorical, but if you can understand, he sends out powerful messages to its listeners. He's not like most singers today, who are too busy whining about their lost love or how bad they hate their life. The lyrics have exceeded expectations once again. // 10

Overall Impression: While the songs "Image Of The Invisible" and "Hold Fast Hope" are similar to the same crunching riffs, from The Illusion Of Safety and Artist In The Ambulance, this album is more free-thinking and I think its a very brave step for a band to come out and go outside the boundaries of their genre and express their love for music and expressing themselves and their creativity. I love the fact that Dustin has an extremely mellow and great singing voice, but yet has a scream that could shatter windows. The thing that stuck out most to me was that I had no idea Teppei was such a good pianist. Vheissu is definitely a big step away from Thrice's past, but its most certainly a great step for them, and this album is worth every penny. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2005

Sound: This album is very different than anything Thrice has done before. While a couple songs sound like they could old Thrice, many have gone softer. These softer songs use pianos, music boxes, and many other types of intresting instruments. While they sound softer, they still remain Thrice. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Thrice are always good. The main theme of Vhessiu is light and dark. There is also references to the ocean. Very good stuff. A personal favorite of mine are the lyrics to "Image Of The Invisible." The words are about how no one is worthless. The vocals are as good as ever. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definatley a must buy. The best songs on Vheissu are "Image Of The Invisible," "Music Box" and "Red Sky." I love the new sound and all the songs; however, I wish they were a little bit heavier in some parts. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2005

Sound: I have always been a fan of Thrice, and with the release of Vheissu, I was absolutely blown away with just how inventive and creative it is. It isn't often that a band is able to keep progressing in such a rate that this one does, refining their tone, utilizing new instruments, and writing fresh, intreaguing lyrics. This CD is a modern day masterpiece. And as for those retards who say this album sucks, all I can say is they must not have ears, because this is one of the best albums I've ever heard (and I don't say that very often). // 10

Lyrics: Dustin is one of the best singers in the music scene today. He knows how to stay on pitch, how to sing into the mic properly during a live performance, and how to write catchy, melodic, and powerful lyrics. There is such melody to his voice, even during the screaming, which still contains its own melody. Everything about Thrice blows all the other bands in their genre out of the water. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't choose just one song as my favorite, because, honestly, every song is amazing--one after the other. The addition of the Fender Rhodes keyboard Teppei uses adds a new improvement in the band. Everything else in the band, from the new VOX AC30 and 8x10 cabinet Teppei uses live to the experimental recording of the album makes this CD a must-own for any musician or Thrice fan, as well as a modern masterpiece. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 02, 2005

Sound: This is bar far the best sounding Thrice album yet. They really take advantage of the fact that they have two guitarist in the band. Althought this is a big step forward for Thrice compared to other albums. I feel this is the real Thrice. Dustin was even quoted in an interwview stating that "That Artist In The Ambulance was a rushed album and we felt like we just neded to get one done. Vheissu is the first album we actually got to sit down and take our time with and we feel that this is really us." So if you don't like the sound of this new Thrice I'm sorry to say then you will never like Thrice again. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics as usual were phenomenal. Dustin always suprises me with his Emotion and Creativity. Dustin singing on this album are his best to date. He uses a very wide range of vocals. He has deffinately improved greatly since The Artist In The Ambulance. Dustin doesn't scream as much on this album, but when he does decide to it fits really well. Even his screaming has greatly improved since their last album. All around Dustin really impressed me this time around. // 10

Overall Impression: This is easily the best CD I have ever owned. It's really hard to pick a favorite because every song on this album is great, but my favorite song so far is Music Box. It's been a long time since a purchased an album where I can actually listen to every song and enjoy myself. If this album was lost or stolen I would deffinately cry. Thne I'd realize what an ass I am and guy buy it again and again. I reccomend this album to anyone who enjoys music. Whether you've listened to Thrice before or not. I guarantee you will be impressed. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 03, 2005

Sound: Thrice have pulled through again by tightening their sound even more than they have. They used several different instruments for the album to help build a diverse and unique mold of music. They continue to progress with clarity, even if it be gritty and intentionally lo-fi at times. It may not be your deep and stretching guitars that you've seen in the past, but respect should be given to a band that can be as diverse musically as Thrice has been. // 10

Lyrics: When looking into the music that Dustin writes, one must be careful. It is like reading a book, you must use careful reading to gather all the facts and references that are being used to convey the overall meaning. After some research of the band, I understand how much they enjoy reading and obscure material, whatever it may be. Dustin doesn't write any songs in light of radio play, because his song-writing skills can take care of that without any of his effort. His vocals have expanded, even with his screams, and his emotion in the songs he writes seems to resemble the ocean engulfing him as he sings. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't like to compare any artists to any other artists, or albums for that matter, because it leaves out any hint of bias reviewing. Thrice have continuously developed a sense of their own creativity and I don't think that will change. They put their heart and soul into their music with no holding back. They are catchy, and it seems like they don't even have to try to do it well. I strongly recommend this album. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: hopeless801, on november 07, 2005

Sound: I am a huge Thrice fan. Have been since day one. Surprisingly I wasn't that impressed with this album upon first listen. Then something happened. All of the sudden I was absolutely in love with this album and could not stop listening to it or get it out of my head. That's what's great about this album. It's not an obvious "hit" album. You have to really take it in and let it get under your skin. When you do, it will grow on you like a fungus. The only think I didn't like was the guitar tone. It sounded muddy to me. Oh well, the songwriting is so strong I can overlook that. // 9

Lyrics: What can I say? Dustin is by far the most intelligent and creative lyricist in popular music. There's nothing I could possibly say about his lyrics that would do them justice. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm not going to say it's their best album to date just because that would be like asking which one of your children is your favorite. They're all different and great in their own way. My favorite songs are Red Sky, Stand And Feel Your Worth, For Miles, and Music Box. I actually downloaded this album a month before it's release (illegally, sorry Thrice) and still went and bought the album. That says something, I never do that, lol. If you're new to Thrice or a long time fan like me I think there is something in this album for everyone. This is one of the few albums that truly transcend genre. // 9

Vheissu Reviewed by: bas98cl, on november 26, 2005

Sound: When I first heard "Image Of The Invisible" I was a bit skeptical because it still sounded like old Thrice but without the complexity and edge. After a friend told me the album was incredible I decided to give it a listen. The album sounds amazing, nothing like anything they have ever written before. It is much more serious and polar, showing more depth and meticulous care in the composition of each song. // 10

Lyrics: As always, Dustin has written great lyrics. Unlike many singers in his former genre, Dustin has succeeded in putting actual meaning into his lyrics and not just falling victim to writing generic emo lyrics running rabid throughout rock music today. // 10

Overall Impression: Thrice has made a brilliant move in deciding to move on. With countless "underground" bands stealing their style it would have been impossible to remain so original. We've seen it happen before with bands such as Korn, Metallica, The Ramones, and it has happened with Thrice. Here in Dallas there are dozens of wannabe Thrice bands that have all the same hooks but none of the quality. They have taken something great and ruined it by duplicating it to oblivion. I don't blame Thrice one bit for wanting to move on, and they did a wonderful job of it. They were able to take some of their signature hooks and techniques and apply them subtley to a completely different genre of music. They have created a masterpiece of which will be incredibly hard to top by others. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: mykethefiend, on november 30, 2005

Sound: The sound is amazing. The band is going places they've never gone before. The bands evolution is incredible. They sound like no other band alive and yet they still sound like themselves. The lead singer has an incredible singing and screaming voice. They still have great guitar riffs, there just spread out with amazing piano and Rhodes, they even have a music box that they bought in japan as the main tune for one song. Simply amazing effects. The bass player uses some kind of pedal and plays with the volume on his guitars volume to make it sound like whales in "Of Dust And Nations" the sound is incredible. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep and meaningful. There is not singing about there girlfriend or getting drunk one weekend. All the songs have a meaning and were inspired by sumthing, may it be a book or a poem, or old prison chain gang songs (the earth will shake). This album is epic and will be listened to forever. All the songs will grow on you if you listen to them more than once. Dustin Kenshrue and sing or scream at the top of his lungs and he always sounds amazing! You can tell they took their time on this album. The lyrics gel with the music amazingly well and the songs wouldnt sound right if any other words were sung to them. // 10

Overall Impression: Their best album to date by far. The band has evolved incredibly since the last album. there old songs were amazing their new album is just incredible! If you don't have this album pick it up. I would buy it again if it were stolen. the songs are epic and are all amazing. I will be listening to "Hold Fast Hope," "The Earth Will Shake," "Image Of The Invisible," "Music Box" and "Between The Earth And Where We Lie" for years to come. I'm sure I'll be listening to the whole CD for years I don't think I'll ever put it down or let it leve my CD player. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: michealdouglas, on december 05, 2005

Sound: This album is not that bad, for a coldplay record. It's just not Thrice, it has nothing in it that says thrice. People are saying that its great 'cause it's so artsy fartsy and how the piano is way more musical than any other instrument in the world. This is bogus, if you want to use piano great, Deadbolt, that's all I have to say about that. This just simply isn't Thrice. Total change for the worst. // 2

Lyrics: If there is one thing that no one can touch about Thrice it's the lyrics. The music can change all it wants but the lyrics will always (Cross Your Fingers) be incredible. // 8

Overall Impression: The overall impression of this album was horrible. I would like to say that it was a total blindside when I first heard it but I cannot. In the DVD which was long but good there are a few allusions to them going down hill. When I think back to the way I felt about artist, which was that it wasn't as good as the other two but not bad, when I hear it now it saounds like the best thing ever. I'm frankly dissapointed. // 3

Vheissu Reviewed by: Pit_Punk, on december 26, 2005

Sound: The only thing I can say is that this is one of the most amazing albums I have ever listened to. The music has a dream-like, oceanic quality to it combined with enough edgy, gritty greatness to whip a great white shark into behaving. Holds me captivated every time I listen to it. // 10

Lyrics: Dustin Kensrue has come up with the most meaningful lyrics of any artist ever on this record. It is extremely poetic without being wimpy. His singing is top notch and displays more range than I knew he had. The screams are fantastic and threaten to rip you apart and he just has an undescribingly cool sounding voice. // 10

Overall Impression: Nothing compares to this CD. Thrice constantly pushes the envelope with their sound. Hold Fast Hope will make you mosh your heart out, Red Sky will entrance you, and Image Of The Invisible will make you shout and pump your fist in the air. If someone were to steal this CD I would probably hunt them down and give them a good solid beating. I would then take them to the store a have them buy this masterpiece because not even a dirty thief deserves to go without this epic creation. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: Thrice has definetly evolved from their last album. I didn't know what to expect from them except the natural progression that they have acheived throughout their entire back catalog. I wasn't let down. The use of non-standard rock instruments sets them apart from many of the horrible copy bands that have sprung up in the last few years. Listen to "The Earth Will Shake" where the mellotron plays behind the main rhythm. It is incredible. The music box in "Music Box" or the piano in "For Miles." // 9

Lyrics: Dustin's lyrics have always been the best aspect of Thrice's sound. Here his lyrics get more personal and dive deeper into symbolism. If you take a moment to listen you'll find that the lyrics address deeper topics than typical bands. Spirituality is the main topic throughout and Dustin conveys it like no one else. His voice on the album ranges from near whispers to gutteral growls, but not the growls that one would expect. They fit the rythm of the songs quite well. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that Thrice is exactly where they want to be. It is quite comparative to Brand New's Deja Entendu. The album is not without fault though. "Stand And Feel Your Worth" stumbles a bit and is a little too long to hold my attention. "Like Moths to a Flame seems a little too out of place even for this record. I think that this album should have been the next album that Thrice should have made. Their should have been a better transition between The Artist In The Ambulance and Vheissu. I think that is what upsets their fans the most is the too rapid change. Overall though it is a superb record and is my record of the year. Thrice is one of my favorite bands and if they keep making music like this they will continue to rise up into the ranks of great bands in history. Standout tracks: Image Of The Invisible, The Earth Will Shake, Of Dust And Nations, Red Sky. // 8

Vheissu Reviewed by: starseed20, on january 25, 2006

Sound: The band's sound has changed and is more mature as experienced bands like Thrice should all do. The album isn't really accessible at the first listening but it gets better and better. The piano is also a great addition to Thrice's talent. For example, the beginning of 'For Miles' is simply awesome. The sound got a bit darker and deeper but it's still great. No big solo and I think Thrice has done its part for this in other albums. The riffs are great though! Take for example 'Of Dust And Nations'. Drums are as good as you would expect from Thrice and they set the pace in a lot of songs as they are the only instruments used in some parts. A masterpiece in my opinion. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are once again great and deliver incredible emotion. Just listen to 'Red Sky' a couple of times and you'll know what I'm talking about. 'Image Of The Invisible' is certainly a criticism of the world in which we live which cares more about money than anything else (we're more than carbon and chemicals). His vision of the world is quite dark but there's some songs where it's tainted with hope like in 'For Miles' (all of our tears, all of our fears will take flight). The words fit beautifully with the music and Dustin is undoubtedly a very, very talented singer with an outstanding range and he proves it well on this record. // 10

Overall Impression: Vheissu is one of the most original albums of 2005, and even if some people won't love it at first sight, I suggest you listen to it over and over and try to understand the message Dustin wants to be heard through the lyrics and the music which is almost heartbreaking in certain songs. You feel like it's too late to save all this and at times you get that feeling of hope. I would have like to see more hard songs like Thrice got us addicted to though. That's why Thrice won't get a 10 here. Enjoy! // 9

Vheissu Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2006

Sound: This band's sound improves more and more with each disc. You can tell that they are trying definetly to make a career turn ala Deftones did with the masterwork that was White Pony. They incorporate many unlikely instrumentation. It's a nice sound, but it's not a great a disc as many would like you to think. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are merely ok. Many would have you believe they're are deep, but like their counterparts Deftones, Thrice tries hard to be abstract. Then, they strike with the rise up lyric that sounds akin to Hatebreeds' we will not back down type poetry. With the sound being not so bad, the disc could've used some good lyrics. // 4

Overall Impression: I'll give Thrice a boost becuase they did stray from not doing the same damn beat like they did in The Artist in the Ambulance. Atlantic is the work of a band growing for the good. The beginning of Red Sky is also another example. It shows a maturing versatility that not many bands have. But two songs don't make an album, and it's hard not to see past the muddle in the middle. // 4

Vheissu Reviewed by: Codezzzz, on june 08, 2006

Sound: This was actually my first Thrice album bought although I heard their previous sound. It's such a large and epic growth for them and I was proud to be a part of it. The softer music releaesed on this cd is so beautiful and such a work of art that it needs definate recognition. The only bad part is it may uninterest old fans that only appreciated the sound for what it was and not what it could grow to be. I still say it was an amazing sound and feel to it and that's why I gave it a 10. // 10

Lyrics: Another perfect 10 for the lads in Thrice. As with all of his songs Dustin has managed to take a piece of raw music and sculpt it into his own magnificent work of art. The lyrics he came up with for Vheissu are intense, amazing, epic, and so much more all put together perfectly with Teppei's guitar riffs and overall rhythym to the songs. Dustin is a definate landmark in our generation for poetry. // 10

Overall Impression: Chalk up another 10. It is one of the greatest albums that have hit stores in the last few years. I'm proud to own it. Overall, it has a unique combination between songs and yet manages to maintain the same epic sound, inspirational lyrics, and amazing singing in each one. Although I hate to pick favourites, 3 of the most impressive songs would have to be Image Of The Invisible, which is packed with raw passion throughout the entire song, Of Dust And Nations, which is both a beautiful ballad as well as an inspirational call to express Dustin's individuality, and Red Sky, which is one of the most mysterious and beautiful songs ever created; so many different meanings can be attached to the perfect individual words picked for each guitar strum. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: LisTenToThriCe, on july 31, 2006

Sound: Thrice has fused its own unique sound since they began with their debut LP Identity Crisis. The post-hardcore quartet from Irving, CA has proven to be both an influential and groundbreaking band with their thought provoking lyrics and experimentation that breaks out of the genre. On Vheissu they once again show they're not afraid of breaking bounds. Production: flawless. Every track has its own unique sound. Teppei even drops his guitar every now and then and shows his skills with the piano. // 10

Lyrics: Vocals: outstanding. Dustin drops his forced rough sounding vocals from Identity Crisis and Illusion of Safety completely and breaks loose, perfectly accompanying the ambient and harmonic nature of Thrice's musical section. Thrice's lyrics have always been their strong point, but Vheissu completely blows away all the other albums with its lyrical qualities. // 10

Overall Impression: Thrice released the best album of 2005. The standout tracks were: For Miles, with its mellow beginning with Dustins vocals soaring with the piano which switches into a musical interlude with sythesizer and tapping guitar and breaks loose into a rough and attacking ending with Dustin's screams demolishing into the end with an amazing guitar accompanyment. Red Sky, the obvious choice for a single, has the best vocal work on the album and possibly the best lyrics. Those are but a few of the amazing tracks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this album, its a tough listen, I'll admit, but once you get over the difference between this and The Artist In The Ambulance, it's sure to be a favorite. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: thedudeguy, on january 13, 2007

Sound: This is stellar. Thrice experimented with new and more interesting sounds than their previous releases. Anything from a blues organ to a music box and a Rhodes Piano. The guitars leave quite an impression, they can combine soothing melodies with agressive and powerful riffs. The bass is very strong on the album and creates a very tense atmosphere. The drums are great, though I wasn't fond of them going to beats as opposed to the jazz/hardcore combo of their previous albums, but they still shine. Overall, the sound is no dissapointment if you enjoy experimentation. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. The way they switch from song to song is just great. A song like Atlantic has very subtle lyrics and are life embracing, while a song like Red Sky are much more sorrowful and assertive. Then you have the more Christian themed songs, a great example of the Christian lyrics are Like a Moth To Flames. Dustin's voice is a key element in this album. They vary from a beautiful falsetto, screaming, melodic singing, and haunted yelling. It is really quite magnificent to hear. These passionate words combined with such an amazing voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This is easily Thrices best album. The song structures are more complex, the experimental nature is a plus, the concept and themes of the album/songs. it's quite breath taking to hear such a work of art. There really is no downside, if you like agressibe rock, there's something here for you, if you like softer stuff, voila, they throw in some of that too. If you like Thrice and experimental music this is a must! If it were stolen, I would buy ten just incase. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: punkrockelite, on august 07, 2007

Sound: Vheissu was/is a a little different from the normal hardcore punk type songs Thrice normally writes. In my opinion they put the most feeling in the music then they ever had before, making a totally revolutionized sound that I've never heard. It's good though some people don't like it because it's different, I find it a terrific album. But, I have found that some people just like there older punk sound, same thing with me at first I thought the sound change was bad but the sound has kinda got to me and now I love it, but that's just my opinion. // 9

Lyrics: As always Thrice's frontman and song writer Dustin Kensrue doesn't stop blowing me away with the huge passion in his lyrics and also vocally, the way he sings everything just fits with the song perfectly! He add some christian dialect which for some reason got people to think they were changing into a christain band and Kensrue responed to that by saying "If an artist painted an apple and another artist who just happened to be catholic painted the same apple would that make it a christain apple?" // 10

Overall Impression: I have never heard any sound like this as they add in eletric drums as well has the acoustic and also have more keyboard and and synth and also occasionally a rhoads piano and moog synth, making there sound extreamly distinctive. Some songs that impress me are "Atlantic", "Music Box", and "Stand And Feel Your Worth" but all of the songs are also very impressive.I love everything about this album and if it were lost or stolen I would most definitly get it again. // 10

Vheissu Reviewed by: fli.pansy, on january 07, 2008

Sound: I first started listening to Thrice way back in the day, when they played heavier sort of music, and when I heard this CD was coming out, I was hoping for some tastier, and heavier riffs. But when it came out, I was surprised by how much their sound have changed. It wasn't a bad thing at all, but they matured so much, that it was hard to believe it was actually them. They do have a few "heavy" songs, but overall, it has a very mellow feeling to it. // 9

Lyrics: Dustin like always, is awesome at vocals, and the lyrics with Thrice only get better and better. I also heard from their podcast that they wrote their songs in a different way this time. What they did is, they wrote the song while writing the vocals for the song, so the vocals would fit in better with the music, and it clearly shows (while when they wrote their previous albums, they wrote the song, then added lyrics to it). // 9

Overall Impression: I know a lot of people have stopped listening to them, because they don't play as "heavy" music as they used to, but a band has got to mature and grow at some point. I still love Thrice just as much as I did when I first listened to their old albums, and they will always be one of my favorite bands of all time. If this CD was lost of stolen, I would definitely go buy a new one. // 9

More Thrice reviews rating latest review
+ Anthology 8.5 10/31/2012