War All The Time Review

9.5
 9.5
 9.4
War All The Time Reviewed by: stellar_legs, on september 18, 2003

Sound: Written in the wake of 9/11, a new aura fills Thursday's major labe debut. The songs on such albums as Waiting and Full Collapse reared more towards personal things more then anything (just about every song). But Thursday tackle a number of topics on War All The Time, and they tap into that level of personal aspects in a way they never did on Full Collapse, while, needless to say, the instruments around you pummel the Hell out of you. Not for the faint of heart, Thursday's massive assault this time around is heavy, hard, dark, and all around great. The guitars are huge on this album, and whether there beating you into submission with sledge-hammer riffs or droning, lush lullaby's, Tom Keeley and Steve Pedulla's guitar work on War never ceases to amaze. The whole thing starts of with one of the heaviset tracks on the album, For The Workforce, Drowning, a huge assuault of metal style riffs and blood curdling screams, reffrencing the horrors of 9/11 ("Falling from the top floor, your lungs fill like parachutes" sings Geoff Rickley). Singles are scarce this time around, as Thursday are doing what they want to do. Asleep In The Chapel deals with losing belief in everything, government, God, hope, and discovering who you are. It's one of the most intense and personal songs on the album. But all bands tend to get tender and sentimental at times, as evident by the title track. Geoff Rickley is obviously recalling something from early days ("When I was 5 years old, my best friends older brother died" he sings). With tender vocals and lush guitar parts that kick in at the 4th minute, it's one of the best displays of Thursday's musical abilities. // 8

Lyrics: As far as lyrics are concerned, War All The Time makes the waining lyrics of Full Collapse seem amaturish. Thursday are obviously pissed, and are getting there anger out through angry, depressing, and intense lyrics. If you take your shift away from the killer axe work, you'll find that Rickley gives you a lot to think about, and it's possible that some of these songs are going to hit home with some fans. Things wain a bit when the album gets to M. Sheppard (written about slain gay college student Matt Shepard), as the songs piles on tedious riffs and a hard flow for the lyrics, but the album picks up again at the closing track Tomorrow I'l Be You. Thursday unleash everything, metal riffs, start/stop loud/soft dynamics, and brutal screming and lush crooning for this mind blowing ending track. // 10

Overall Impression: Thursday have progressed and realize that singles are not important, and let the music speak for itself as it hits you over the head with an emotional sledge-hammer. A very touching and moving work, that can also get you pumped, depending on your mood. Perfect to listen to after a messy break up, or perfect to put on to get pumped before a big game, this album is one ride that any punk, metal, or prog rock fan shouldn't miss. // 10

War All The Time Reviewed by: weezerman36, on september 25, 2003

Sound: I would like to say that the pair of guitarists in Thursday (Tom Keeley and Steve Pedulla) should go down in the books with Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC, Joe and Brad of Aerosmith, Zakk and Nick of Black Label Society, or just about any other pair of guitarist that compliment each other perfectly. The boys have game. Their guitars seem to weave in and out of each other seamlessly. It's absolutely amazing. Every song has the same motif if you will, of lead lines strung over chords, but not in the same way on every track. So you don't get bored with it. // 10

Lyrics: Geoff Rickley's lyrics are powerful. Sometimes they are hard to interpret, which is awesome for people like me who like to think about things. Hes not writing songs about ex-girlfriends, or the long lost love. He writes about things that are more appropriate in a NOFX record or something like that. He talks of corporate power, he talks about death. It seems really fresh lyrically. While Geoffs voice seems a bit off at times, it works with the raw music. Whether or not he was trying to go for that i dont know, but hes off sometimes // 10

Overall Impression: I can't think of any other bands that sound like Thursday. I considered myself a fan before this album came out, but now its more. I would say that the standout tracks are "For the workforce, Drowning" which is the opening track, and "War all the time" the title track. The one thing i hate about this album is its not very long. I know that I'm supposed to criticize the album a little bit, but i cant figure out how to. Its just a damned good album // 10

War All The Time Reviewed by: parisinflames, on october 13, 2003

Sound: Once again, Thursday has managed to blow me away, even in their first ever piano ballad "This Song Brought to You by a Falling Bomb". The sound on all the songs is just all around awesome. After listening to it a couple times regularly, listen to it with the bass turned up, especially on "Signals Over the Air", it will rock your world. // 10

Lyrics: Geoff Rickley is as brilliant as ever, the lyrics on this album are nothing short of amazing. Though this is seen on every track, a few standouts are "Steps Ascending" "Falling Asleep in the Chapel" "Between Rupture and Rapture" and "War All the Time". For those of you who passed on Thursday before because of Geoff's singing, check this album out, its seems he has become more comfortable with his voice making for the songs to kick that much more ass then on the previous albums. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definetly, without a doubt worth your time. It hasn't left my cd player from the first day it came out and I don't see it leaving anytime soon. With this album, everytime you listen you hear something new or realize something else. In short, this album kicks ass. GO BUY IT! // 10

War All The Time Reviewed by: cherries kurt, on october 27, 2003

Sound: Luckily I only got into Thursday about 3 months ago which means I didnt have a huge amount of time to wait for the fantastic 'War all the time'. Sound wise I think this record is a hundred times better than full collapse with really imaginative production from Sal Villanueva. Steve Pedulla and Tom Keeley are brilliant on there guitars blending them beautifully, and sound so effective without using 4 standard chords in each song like we've come to expect by so many bands out there. Geoff Rickley emotive voice from rasp to scream and from scream to singing is controlled brilianty and complements the guitars perfectly. The best song on this album is the first: For the workforce, drowning. // 10

Lyrics: Geoff Rickely is on top form for 'War all the time'. The thought and range of emotions used on this album is nothing short of breath taking. His lyrics make people like Simple plan and NFG laughable. On 'For the workforce,drowning' you hear references to september 11th - "Falling from the top your lungs fill like parachutes, windows go flashing by" and on the painfully honest 'War all the time' "I was five years old my best friends older brother died" Strength, emotion and anger are all encapsulated in one record - Brilliant! // 10

Overall Impression: War all the time is a 10/10, 5/5, 100% record it has rock music to a new level and a band would have to ome out with something truly incredible to beat it. It's like nothing else in its genre. If anything its made a genre all of its own.The best songs on this album are 'For the workforce, drowning' and 'asleep in the chapel' both fantastic songs. I love everything this record has to offer. Its guitar playing, its rhythm section, its vocals and its emotive lyrics. If my copy of 'War all the time' got stolen then I would but two more copies to make sure i could still listen to it if one got stolen! A truly ground breaking record. Log off now and buy it! // 10

War All The Time Reviewed by: andyniblo, on november 12, 2003

Sound: From the very start of For the Workforce Drowning, you know you have spent your money well. Anyone who downloads Thursday and doesn't buy the album I have a problem with. The whole atmosphere of the album is truly awe inspiring and literally breathtaking. They take the whole heavy metal machine up a peg from full collapse, but have maintained a very continuous style, reminiscent of bands like Cursive. The unique style that is virtually uncopyable, demands attention, and although it doesn't surpass it predecessor it is certainly by no means worse. // 8

Lyrics: Thursday have got to be the best band in hard rock lyrically on the planet. Their sentences are truly inspired and poet. They don't try to be clever, they just are, and their lyrics do truly rhyme and make sense. Although the whole aura of their songs create lyrically to emphasise a point, they are not reduced to phycho babble and disgruntled political messages that is clear in bands such as Million Dead. A line on the song, "For the workforce drowning", "please take there hands, throw them in the river, wash away the things they never held" really jamms their message home and the whole album, although entitled "War all the Time" doesn't pander a cliched theme of anti-america, but really keeps their songs more personal. After hearing the album, i truly believe that "they stole the love from our lives and put the sex on the radio". // 10

Overall Impression: The album is nothing short of stunning, and so far Thursday have made an excellent and consistent pair of albums. They reinforce the comforting thought that the band is more personal than political and i am very happy that they have kept with this motif. The album is fantastic, I defy anyone of sound mind not to liten intently and afterwards still have air in their lungs. // 10

War All The Time Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on november 26, 2003

Sound: Thursday are not a band that you can get into easily. Clearly, they are all extremely talented musicians, and not only do they distance themselves from the mainstream nu-metal obsession, but also appear to beak moulds within their own genre. Vocalist Geoff Rickly described this latest album as "having no hooks". After just one listen to any of Thursday's songs, not just from this album, it becomes clear that this is a band who are willing to stray from the obvious, forming their own distinct, slightly quasi-rhythmic style. This, however, is a good thing. When they get it right (as they usually do), it comes as a welcome and satisfying break from all the unoriginality and mindless noise that many other bands produce on a regular basis. It may take a while to get used to the sound, but if you're patient, and willing to look beyond the surface, then you will discover something quite remarkable. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are Thursday's strong point. Ignoring conventions of rhyming, rhythm, etc., Rickly writes his lyrics as poems rather than as straight songwords. This makes Thursday's music a lot less catchy, but gives the listener a more emotional, poetic experience. At first, this may sound a bit strange, but it allows more freedom of expression, and also showcases's Rickly's huge talent in this area. There are too many memorable lines to begin to list them all; it is also true that every song reads as a separate poem, and to accept the views and ideas presented, you sometimes have to listen to/read the lyrics of the whole song. However you look at it, there is no way that Thursday could be awarded anything less then Excellent for lyrical ability. // 10

Overall Impression: Thursday is not an easy band to describe. If you've heard past efforts, such as "Full Collapse", then you'll know what to expect from this album. It's simply more of the same - no innovations, nothing amazingly new. But for Thursday, this can only be a good thing. Their sound is so distinct that it is hard to improve. The same old formula of heartfelt vocals, with poetic lyrics and dark, pensive melodies takes Thursday one step closer to mainstream success. And with this album comes Thursday's first real attempt at a radio-friendly song (that's right, it even has a chorus), "Signals Over The Air". Along with the title track "War All The Time", possibly one of the most depressing songs I've heard in a while, this is the highlight. It's difficult to recommend Thursday to anyone, you'll either love them or describe them as "average". Once you get into them, though, you'll realise that It's so much more than emo. An impressive album. An impressive band. // 8

War All The Time Reviewed by: Funeral Protest, on january 28, 2006

Sound: Thursday is part of that "post hardcore" scene that is going around as of now, but there is something about them that sets them apart. Geoff Rickly switches almost instantaniously from his singing to screaming, and its a big part of Thursdays music that has the soft, melodic, sweet sounding vocals, to something really hardcore and raw. Thats what makes "War All The Time" its own sound in an allready existing category. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very imaginative in how Geoff Rickly can play with your mind with his writing style. For example, in Tomorrow I'll Be You, there is a line that says "Ever since I replaced the 'I' in 'Live' with an 'O', I can't remember who you are." I played with this in my head and came up with some differint meanings personally to me, rather than just spelling out the word 'love.' Geoff Rickly I think is a very strong vocalist, he is able to do agressive vocals, but at the same time, very sweet and melodic vocals. He has excellent range from going to high notes and low notes and adding in his murderous screams when the time is right. // 10

Overall Impression: I can honestly say, I can't compare this album to any others. Topic wise maybe, war and 9/11, but the way Thursday sounds, is like I said, something completely differint, yet sticking to a very wide genre that tons of bands are doing, and I think that's why Thursday stands out for me and remains one of my favorite bands of all time. Great work from Thursday, I'm not giving them a perfect 10, because I wouldn't give all the songs on here 5 out of 5, the lowest I would give is a 3, but I still love all these songs, and I would reccomend any Thursday album to people who like bands such as Thrice, Stutterfly, Story Of The Year, Funeral For A Friend and Rise Against. // 9

War All The Time Reviewed by: alexander_MCR, on april 20, 2011

Sound: The post-hardcore legends third album "War All The Time" proves why Thursday are important in the punk/hardcore scene. As opener "For The Workforce, Drowning" kicks in you wonder if this is Thursday's most intense album to date, and you'd be absolutely right! It is chaotic at times, with the incredibly strong guitar parts from guitarists Steve Pedula and Tom Keeley on songs such as "Steps Ascending" and "Division St." Tucker Rule is still a powerhouse behind the kit and his grooves and beats stand out strong in the more slower songs on the album ("Signals All Over The Air" and the title-track.) Also pianist and keyboardist; Andrew Everiding who supplies some much needed key parts to songs ("This Song Is Brought To You Buy A Falling Bomb.") The album deals with many individual themes: Religion ("Asleep In The Chapel.") Lost friendship ("Steps Ascending.") Mundane lifestyles ("For The Workforce, Drowning.") The everyday struggles of us all ("War All The Time") Society's state of mind ("M.Shepard" & "Between Rupture And Rapture") // 9

Lyrics: Vocalist, Geoff Rickly as seen in 01's "Full Collapse" puts much personal experiences into his lyrics, a fine example of this is the opening lyric of "Steps Ascending": 'Steps ascend to a loaded gun." This is song is about one of his childhood friends who was killed in a shooting, a friend who which Geoff never got to say goodbye to. Back, to Geoff for a second, he still has those lyricist-non-singing moments in songs such as "Division St." and "M.Shepard." And, yes he still keeps up the sing/scream compromise as well. // 9

Overall Impression: It is faster and more hectic than "Full Collapse" but still keeps the power and passion that sets them apart from other bands in their genre. "War All The Time" debuted at number 7 on The Bilboard charts on its release back in 2003, much to the pleasant surprise of the band. Stand outs include: "For The Workforce, Drowning" "Steps Ascending" "Division St." "War All The Time" Wether or not you have come to dislike or even hate Thursday's more recent work or you have an inkling for some nostalgia, "War All The Time" will keep you more than happy. believe me! // 9

More Thursday reviews rating latest review
+ No Devolucion 8.7 04/13/2011