The Adversary Review

Thy Art Is Murder: The Adversary
Released: Jul 16, 2010
Genre: Metal
Label: Skull & Bones
This new band Thy Art Is Murder are a great example of what modern death metal is today. "The Adversary" is the band's first full length.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 7.5
 7.9
 7.1
The Adversary Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2010

Sound: For me, I like my death metal to be first and foremost extremely aggressive, secondly it's gotta be fast with insane rhythm/lead guitars and drums. And the vocals have gotta be really low and guttural with insanely brutal lyrical concepts. This new band Thy Art Is Murder are a great example of what modern death metal is today. The Adversary [Ihsahn, formerly of Emperor has an album of the same title] is the band's first full length. The band's sound is very fast and aggressive with occassional breakdowns, thus the reason some critics may consider this type of music to be deathcore. However, I don't see the need to pigeon-hole this band to such a feeble genre as I don't see anything 'core' about it. It's just death metal the way it has evolved over the years. TAIM has a very evil and almost Deicide-esque type sound with again, the occassional breakdown/s during songs. // 8

Lyrics: When you buy this CD and read the lyrics closely, they are very anti-christian and very graphic but also very creative with these concepts. Such examples of this is the very atmospheric opening instrumental 'Unholy Sermons', 'Flesh Oracle', 'The False Prophet' and 'Engineering the Antichrist'. The lyrics definately seem to fit with the music and very well structured. TAIM's vocalist Chris McMahon's guttural vocals sound like a mix of Deicide and Nile with fairly high screams as backup on occassions. Again, they sound so evil and so good. So his performance on this album should definately be applauded. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to most of the modern death metal out there today. The Adversary is definately an album I would recommend to people. For me, I call it just death metal as I am not fond of the creation of other stupid subgenres like 'deathcore' or 'deathgrind' or whatever. Just call it by the proper term. The most impressive pieces on this album in my opinion would be 'Soldiers of Immortality', 'Laceration Penetration', 'The False Prophet', 'Engineering the Antichrist' and the short instrumental 'Requiem'. All of which deserve to be listened to multiple times. I said in the beginning of this review that I liked my death metal fast, aggressive, the vocals to be low and guttural. And that's exactly what this album is for me. I won't use the word 'hate' but I do believe there are a few filler tracks on this album but, this definately is a good album. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again like all the metal CD's I buy. So to conclude, TAIM's 'The Adversary' is a good album for all death metal fans and I implore that people should check it out. // 7

The Adversary Reviewed by: joel1221, on august 13, 2010

Sound: The way I like my Death Metal/Deathcore to be is fast distorted riffs, scratchy bass, fast drums and low vocals. For deathcore these songs should contain a breakdown or two. Thy Art Is Murder are a perfect example of what this is. It is basically brutal Death Metal (JFAC, Decapitated, Nile etc..) with breakdowns in the middle and end of most of the songs on this album. In the heavy riffs that lead into breakdown the guitarists change from side to side with the open riffs. You will see what I mean when you listen to the song "Laceration Penetration". The start is a perfect example. Thy Art Is Murder are most likely what you would call - The latest version of Death Metal which is basically what they are. They seem to heavy to be considered Deathcore. But I guess you will have to listen to this awesome album to figure that out for yourself. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely brutal stuff. I advise you not to read them if you are a Christian or are easily shocked. Cause they can be disturbing. Thy Art Is Murder seem to be a very "ANTI" band. Not quite Satanic band but are very close to it. The lyrics fit in very well with the music being played, considering the riffs have some sort of a heavy evil sound to them in most parts of the songs. C.J MacMahon has done an extremely good job of putting vocals to these songs. He tends to stay low which is what you want to be a heavy band such as TAIM. // 8

Overall Impression: The Adversary can compare to most albums of the genre. It is in my opinion the best deathcore album released this year. It sounds better than Ruination by Job For A Cowboy. The most impressive songs from the album are Laceration Penetration, Furnace of Hate, The Adversary, Requiem ( a lead in to Cowards Throne), Cowards Throne, Soldiers of Immoratility and of course Engineering The Anti-Christ. I love how the breakdowns are portrayed. They sound absolutely awesome. Fast and heavy. I don't like how some of the songs sound nearly the same EG - Flesh Oracle and Engineering the Anitchrist. I would buy it again definately. // 8

The Adversary Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2010

Sound: In my personal opinion, I like death metal/deathcore to be extremely fast, original, and consisting of an extremely wide range of scratchy highs to demonic lows. There are too many bands out there with the same lows, the same chugga chugga, and the same lyrical ideas. I'm not a super large fan on the extremely gory lyric content but the way Thy Art Is Murder interprets their thoughts into words is just phenomenally abstract and I find myself screaming along with a smile. The overall sound is so unique, as you can hear a combination of older death metal bands like Nile or Behemoth, but keeping it modern like The Red Shore or Trigger The Bloodshed with the occasional breakdown or four. I'm not all too familiar with drum triggers and such, but after watching Lee Stanton live on Youtube, I would say this guy is probably the fastest drummer I have heard, and I love it. He brings so much into the music, along with the panned guitars. And when you hear a breakdown nowadays, they are slow and tedious, but TAIM create fast, yet crushing breakdowns so as not to subtract from the extreme speed. // 9

Lyrics: As I said before, I'm not super into gory lyrics and I am, in fact, a Christian. But they write the lyrics with a lot more behind them than just hack and torture themes. As this CD focuses on Satan, God, and the human race, I feel a little more satisfied knowing that there are actually ideas and creativity behind the words, rather than just a cookie cutter copy so as to follow influences and such. I still say Breeding Bacteria from their EP is the best lyrically. I do extremely miss Brendon's highs but they were definitely right about his style not befitting to the album's musical style. C.J. could blow over a house with his vocals as they don't sound scratchy and muddy like a lot of vocalists but pack a lot of power and consistency. Still, overall I could misjudge him for just another guttural vocalist if I never heard him before. // 7

Overall Impression: For me, this album has definitely got to be the album of the year. I know many others would agree with me, but those 18 months of writing definitely benefited and they produced something more than amazing. The song that caught me the most was Laceration Penetration. The intro just pumps you up. As a lot of intros are amazing and then the song goes downhill, this song does not. Some other great songs are: The Adversary, Engineering The Antichrist, Decrepit Putrification, and Furnace of Hate. Overall, their is nothing I really dislike about it, except of course their mockeries towards God and such. But, every band has it's opinions and I'm not one to argue with people's opinions, especially with a band this good. The breakdowns are more than breakdowns as they make any breakdown look weak and the complexity of the guitars alongside vocals and drums just make this album an extremely good album to have in your collection. It's most definitely worth buying again and again. // 10

The Adversary Reviewed by: oneblackened, on july 16, 2012

Sound: I really have never heard a band change so much between releases. They seem to me to have turned from a bad ripoff of Suicide Silence to a really solid death metal/deathcore band. It's a hell of a change. One of the most standout aspects of this record is how unbelievably fast it is. Tempos are around 250-300 bpm on most songs, and even the breaks aren't exactly slow, around 100-130bpm. They're also not repetitive, which is nice to hear considering how sleep inducing they can be. The real breakdowns are few and far between, which is good seeing as they should be used sparingly. The guitar playing is pretty good, if nothing amazing. The solos are nice to hear, considering they actually sound like solos rather than some half-baked attempt at a solo. I'd compare it to Decapitated, Suffocation, Cryptopsy and Dying Fetus in terms of sound. In terms of production: the guitar tone is absolutely massive sounding - and is the best part of the production. The drums are pretty clearly triggered and the bass is nowhere to be found, but overall the record sounds very solid. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are appropriately gory and anti-religious, just as you'd expect from a death metal band. They're not the most original lyrics ever, but they're well put together. CJ, the vocalist, has a very solid death growl comparable to Frank Mullen (Suffocation) and Glen Benton (Deicide). His high shrieks aren't very core-esque, but instead take on a more black metal like tone. There are very low gutturals at times (most notably in "Laceration Penetration") which aren't bad but at the same time aren't great. Sadly, he's nearly unintelligible without reading the lyrics along to the song. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to their previous release ("Infinite Death") this album is a HUGE step up in quality. It's a well crafted slab of death metal, almost entirely eschewing the "deathcore" label entirely in favor of a straight up brutal death metal sound. The only parts I truly dislike are the rather pointless intro and the less-than-amazing production. If I were to lose the album, I'm pretty sure I'd buy it again. It's a pretty solid album. Recommended listening: - Soldiers Of Immortality - Laceration Penetration - The Adversary - Requiem/Coward's Throne // 8

More Thy Art Is Murder reviews rating latest review