To My Surprise Review

artist: to my surprise date: 04/27/2007 category: compact discs
to my surprise: To My Surprise
Released: Oct 7, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Literate, Lush, Intimate, Detached, Exuberant, Rousing, Freewheeling, Brassy, Irreverent, Insular
Style: Alternative Pop/Rock
 Lyrics: 9.7
 8.3
 9.7
 6.8
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
To My Surprise Reviewed by: criticfantastic, on march 24, 2004

Sound: The sounds on this album are unique and different to say the least. Rumour has it that most of the guitar work was performed using a 5watt amp from the 1950's. Rick Rubin, the producer of the record, heard the band jamming with it and told them he loved the rustic sound of it. And I have to say that I am inclined to agree with Mr. Rubin on this one. To say the sound produced is interesting is a wild dangerous understatement. The different styles of songs on this record are both diverse and intense...everything from 1940's pop to modern day rap-rock. A lot of the songs are surprising considering that this is a Slipknot side-project. // 10

Lyrics: Weird and odd are the best words to describe the lyrics on this album. If you read the lyrics to a lot of them they go terrifically well with each song and it's style. "Blue" is a good example, an uplifting song with a happy feel and sound to it with matching lyrics. Slipknot's Shawn is an awesome lyricist. // 10

Overall Impression: Of all the massively overrated Slipknot side-projects (namely Stone Sour), this is by far the most talented, invigorating and promising act. This is a solid debut which displays incredible musicianship, potential and fantastic tastes in all kinds of musical genres. The best song is probably "Get It To Go", which is a punk/heavy rock song. I hope this band will carry on for a long time because they are a hugely promising act with a rich and diverse musical background. // 10

To My Surprise Reviewed by: aenimafist, on april 23, 2007

Sound: When the first track started, I almost thought Shawn Crahan had gone techno but the a combination of accoustic guitars and oohs came in and I thought it was a good change of pace for the Slipknot writer. Maybe I am giving him all of the credit for writing but he would have made the album heavier. In the track "Say Goodbye", I would assume that Shawn is doing the vocals and it is quite obvious that he put a large influence of style into that tune. It gives the album a kind of dark tone after a very cheerful, "Blue" which is my favorite track on the album. The song preceding "Blue" is "In the Mood" is to me a kind of funny song because a lot of the lyrics seem rather spontaneous and non-connecting. I am sure there is a hidden meaning in there somewheres. It is on Roadrunner Records so the recording quality was excellent as always and the sound was crystal clear. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics must have some hidden meaning because they keep calling themselves The Ornge whatever that means. In the Mood has the best lyrics of all of the songs on the whole album and most of these songs have rather positive meanings and sounds that might be unbearable to a total pessimist unless slowly evaluated and reviewed for further meaning in which case would take quite a while because of the way Shawn had an influence on the lyrics and what their true hidden meaning is. It feels strange to hear a positive sound come out of a Roadrunner Records band. The singer has a great voice for the kind of Post-Grungy style and doesn't seem to have any weak spots. His finest song is Blue during the chorus. "Blue belongs in the sky, and not on you or I." // 10

Overall Impression: The closest thing to compare this album to would probably be Local H especially their song "Bound For the Floor". TMS sound kind of like them and maybe a bit like Switchfoot as well. Maybe. Blue is definately my favorite song on the album but it seems as though most people like Get it to Go the best. It is like a party song and I do appreciate the fact that it is a heavy song and you can really appreciate it. Sunday would have been a better song to end the album with because it talks about saying goodbye. The last track, Whose to Say ends the album kind of blankly and abruptly. It works anyway. // 9

To My Surprise Reviewed by: freecharlie8, on april 27, 2007

Sound: This album is amazing! However, a lot of people might not think so, since it's widely known as a slipknot side project, and it's being found in the metal section of your local FYE. This CD is not metal. It is not slipknot. It is good old fashioned almost jammy rock music, and I love it. Don't expect anything when you listen to this album, because if your looking for another Slipknot side project, you will be dissapointed (that's probably why I found it used). // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics! They are fun, but at the same time meaningful. it's is truely beautiful. Blue has by far the greatest lyrics on the album, along with Easy or Not. Haven't really had time to comb through and try to interprit the lyrics to some great profound meaning, but from what I've gathered, it's an awesome CD lyrics wise. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an amazing break through record. I will admit, that To My Surprise's being on Road Runner is almost definantly because of Clowns membership, they have more than earned their place on the roster. My favorite songs have to be Blue and Easy or Not, but just about all the songs are great. I would most definatly buy this again if it were lost or stolen, that is if I could find it again. // 10

Comments