Portable Sounds Review

tobymac: Portable Sounds
Release Date: Feb 20, 2007
Label: Forefront
Genres: CCM, Praise & Worship, Christian Rock, Christian Rap
With an "alright, this time it's for real" promise, Tobymac turns the keys of the ignition and hits the gas on Portable Sounds, his third and most impressive solo effort to date.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.9
 7.1
Portable Sounds Reviewed by: <Guitar4God>, on july 30, 2007

Sound: The sound is very much like the previous CD, but if you have never heard the previous one, it is a cool sounding CD. There are songs on there that can get me pumped (such as "Boomin") and songs that I can easily listen to (such as "Lose my Soul"), so there is a real range in the style. TobyMac is very unique in his own, making the CD even more incredible. There are also some special guests on the CD, including Kirk Franklin and Mandisa, showing Toby's love for the gospel scene. // 8

Lyrics: He writes most of his music, which comes out great when he sings it. He really writes from the heart and it really impacts me greatly. His song "Made to Love" is great. It talks about how the human race was created to love and serve Him, Christ Jesus. "Lose my Soul" says quote:"I don't wanna gain the whole world and lose my soul." Here he sings about how he wouldn't trade anything for the Love that God has given him. // 9

Overall Impression: Though a lot like "Welcome to Diverse City" (his previous CD), TobyMac still brings a new twist into every song, and that it what I love about this artist. If I somehow lost this album, I would buy it again, that is, if it already wasn't on my mp3 player. I highly recommend it. // 9

Portable Sounds Reviewed by: wiggsy, on june 28, 2007

Sound: It is possible that after over a decade of music-making at the highest level of christian music, Tobymac has finally run out of ideas for new sounds and styles. However, those that know him will undoubtedly tell you the rich diversity in his music, and how no two albums sound the same, both in the dcTalk days, nor in his solo career. In fact, Portable Sounds appears to be a musical conclusion to his career (though I hope this is not the case), as he draws from every style he has written and played down the years, and compiled it into one album. At times, you can almost imagine the wailing voice of Kevin Max providing a harmony to the main meoldy, though this is not the case. Spanning from a pop-punk styled 'Suddenly', to a hip-hop/pop/rock combination in 'Boomin' and 'Made to Love' (two of the album's highlights), this album will continue to pleasantly surrpise. // 9

Lyrics: Tobymac has always been one of the best writers in the CCM industry, perhaps only second to Matt Thiessen of Relient K, and this shows once again in his new album. Lyrical highlights are the infectious melodies 'Made to Love' and 'Lose My Soul', two songs aimed heavenwards, confession and love songs to his Creator. This contrasts harmoniously with the rawkus 'Ignition' and party anthem 'Boomin', both which demand second listens for their lyrical content, if not purely for their musical aestheticity. As good as ever! // 8

Overall Impression: For those that enjoyed the dcTalk era, this album sounds enough like them to keep you enthralled, but diverse enough to keep you curious. For those that have a mild interest in either dcTalk or Tobymac, do not let this album pass you by, it's as good as 'Jesus Freak' or 'Welcome to Diverse City' (though will not surpass the greatness of the former). If you are not a christian, this album may be too religious for your liking, but it's still worth a listen if only for the appreciation of talent. This is most certainly one of the best albums to come out of Forefront Records for a while. // 10

More Tobymac reviews rating latest review
+ Welcome To Diverse City 8.8 07/03/2006