Forcefield Review

7.2
 7.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Forcefield Reviewed by: vppark2, on april 04, 2014

Sound: Tokyo Police Club are an indie rock band from Newmarket, Ontario. "Forcefield" marks their third full-length album with nine tracks, clocking in at 33:30. Diving deep into this album, you will notice right away that vocally, it's nothing too special, but there isn't anything horrible about them. They're basically your standard indie rock vocals. The album features a few neat tracks full of rocky riffs, especially the opening track, "Argentina," which actually has three parts to them, with a total length of 8:32. From there on, the next few tracks seemed a bit mediocre, but a steady listen. "Gonna Be Ready" seemed to have picked up the fuel again, featuring a sweet bassline and some sweet rocky riffs. The sixth track, "Toy Guns" is another great highlight off the album, regarding the catchy chorus. "Tunnel Vision" may not be amazing, lyrically, but this track has the best riffs off the album. It's a song that not many indie rock bands today would ever put out. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrical content of this album really does depict a very indie rock type of feel. "Through the Wire" would have to be my favorite regarding this section.

"I'm killing time until I see her
So many days but I don't care
I'm sleeping alone, even the warm night's cold
But I got her picture and I'm always coming home

Through the wire to your door, through the wire
Through the wire to your door
I'm coming around, ones and zeros on the ground
I'll be your man, through the wire I am bound."

This track, overall is probably one of the most chill, laid back songs off the album. // 7

Overall Impression: This album seems to lack in a few fields in particular, but nothing to really bring it down bad. The main thing that they should work on is to keep the listener interested. Some tracks, such as "Hot Tonight," and ironically, one of my favorite tracks, "Gonna Be Ready" are repetitive, unfortunately. This band certainly has the potential, and they are definitely one of the greater modern indie rock bands. The riffs on some tracks really show it, but other than that, there really isn't anything else that's certainly groundbreaking. Let's just hope they continue to be themselves, and throw in a few twists in the future. // 7

More Tokyo Police Club reviews rating latest review