10,000 Days Review

tool: 10,000 Days
Release Date: May 2, 2006
Label: Tool JV
Genres: Alternative Metal
With a majority of the songs on 10,000 Days clocking in well past the seven-minute mark, you wouldn't be entirely mistaken in thinking that the title of the album refers to how long it actually takes to make it through the whole thing.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.2
 9.4
10,000 Days Reviewed by: Deliriumbassist, on may 12, 2006

Sound: I was really anticipating the fact that musically, this would follow on from Lateralus. I think everyone was. But I was absolutely blown away. Just when I thought it couldn't happen, Tool upped the ante with their musicianship once again. Adam has obviously gone out, worked on some new techniques (the talk-box solo on Jambi comes to mind), and implemented them well within the music. Danny Carey is, well, Danny Carey, you can't fault the man. He uses so many drums, u could probably make a song with just drums and lyrics, due to the vast assortment of pitches he can create. He has some excellent drum fills within all the songs, and never ceases to amaze with his ambidextrous drumming style (his hi-hat is in the centre of his kit, y'know). Justin has also improved vastly with his bass playing. The tone he gets out of his Wal is amazing, and his basslines add an extra depth of feeling and emotion. So, the music itself, in places, it's the heaviest Tool have ever done, and others, more ethereal. Here's a song by song break down: 01. Vicarious - second heaviest track on album. Very reminiscent of Schism (weird time signitures, apreggio-style lick at the end of each phrase in the verses), and shows just how violent Danny Carey can get on his kit. 02. Jambi - this is one of Adam's defining moments in this album. His solo is excellent, with some very nice talk-box usage. One of the heaviest riffs, without major ass distortion. Loving this song. 03. Wings For Marie (Part 1) and 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) - I'll tackle these 2 at once, since they are basically one song (think Parabol/Parabola. Very ethereal, slow, yet eMotive. Very relaxing, but the subject matter will change people's views on that. 04. The Pot - best bass riff on the album. A cross between Schism and 46&2, this song is all about the bass (for the most part). Really comes into it's own from 3:45, with a guitar solo, leading to a nice heavy riff. 05. Lipan Conjuring - can't really mention the music on this, I'm not a big expert on native american music. 06. Lost Keys (Blame Hofman) - same guitar riff. Over. And over. And over. But that doesn't count, it's an intermission. 07. Rosetta Stoned - 11 minutes of pure bliss. Guitar riffs all over the place, kewl solo, a testimony to how well Tool's band members can work together to create a piece of sonic art thunderstorm. 08. Intension - first half of the song very much bass and drums. They fit with each other and the vocals so well. When the guitar kicks in, we see Tool's slow, melodic side. Fades out nicely, too. 09. Right In Two - continues on from Intension (Tool likes continuing on songs from each other, very Dream Theater-esque, who did it with albums, though). Very awesome drumming from 4 minutes, not technical, just sounds kewl. Gets heavier after 5 minutes, into an amazing mix of dropped D riffs, cymbal splashes and bass licks, before dying down back into the dark pit of Tool's creative genius. 10. Viginti Tres - again, can't really comment on the musicianship. Actually found myself breathing in time with this song once, without realising it. So, Tool have sort of amalgamated their previous musical outlets, threw in some new edges, and this was the product - pure sonic bliss, a hurricane of a record capable of rendering many musicians creative minds useless and despaired. Listen and learn. // 10

Lyrics: Maynard is a legend. He is amongst the best singers of his generation, and infinitely more intelligent than Christina Spears or Britney Clarkson, in this album, MJK takes us through a journey of the human psyche, and his interaction with (what he sees as) blind faith, and of course, more songs about drugs. MJK is one of the best lyricists I have ever had the privelige to listen to, and his lyrics can mean many things to many people. This is my two cents, song by song: 01. Vicarious - anyone for tennis? Where someone in the crowd gets beaten by a member of their own family? This song, to me, is about Schaudenfreude, gaining pleasure from others misfortune. The line "Don't look at me like I am a monster," really shows the hypocrisy of us all when we're confronted with this sort of accusation, that we enjoy the suffering of others. It also deals with the fact that we need blood to survive, or so it seems. The song dwells on the fact that we need to feed on hostility in order to survive as nations. Believing in "angels in the hearts of men", like George W. Bush, whoever sees an angel within him obviously needs to pick up a picture-bible for 4 year olds and see what angels look like. 02. Jambi - this is odd. When I first heard it, it sounded all rhapsody/kate bush, with a king's nice views from his random mountain. I think it deals with someone willing to give up everything just to keep someone close, like his mother, Judith. I need to listen to this more, get a better idea of what MJK is saying. 03. Wings For Marie (Part 1) and 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) - as well as musically similar, the lyrics are similar. Both definately about MJK's mother (who's middle name was Marie). Her wings are angel wings, as she was a Christian devotee, who believed even though she had a stroke which left her paralyzed for 27 years (just short of 10,000 days). The last part of the song, I feel, is about finding out that his mother was gonna die soon, her fears that she might not get to heaven, and the fact he had to let her go. 10,000 days says to me that Judith should demand a place in heaven, should it ecist, due to the amazing life she led in respect to her faith, and her love for her son, even though he had forsaken the path of religion. Definately the two deepest tracks MJK has ever written. 04. The Pot - what the f--k? This is a weird song. Sort of about how someone has been smoking some not quite legal substances, and bringing up unjustified arguements, poor affinity with lemons, and believing that they are better than others ("who are you to wave your finger?"). Maybe someone brought up the dead in MJKs past and pissed him off? ("you practically raised the dead"). MJK's solo at the beginning of the song is brilliant, however. 05. Lipan Conjuring - unfortunately,I can't speak Lipan, and therefore couldn't think of a meaning to the song. I'm sure it's Maynard's Dick or the Gaping Lotus Experience sung backwards in Lipan, though. 06. Lost Keys (Blame Hofman) - nice dialogue between a doctor, nurse and a really screwed up patient. Well, not so much the patient, he's smacked up to his eyeballs. 07. Rosetta Stoned - about an alien abduction, of a soldier stationed just outside Area 51, I think ("need to know post just outside of Area 51). MJK sings about how this man is surpised that he got "chosen", but brings it back to the drugs with the shitting of the bed (this "soldier" may well have been on LSD, also referenced to in the previous track (Hofman was the father of LSD). 08. Intension - this song I have little opinion about, I need to listen to this more. Lyrically, the words fit with the music, a journey from birth, and our lives, how we kill to get what we want, whoch is not neccesarily what we need. 09. Right In Two - two words: free will. And the rest: the angels is heaven are confused as to why god has given us free will, opposable thumbs, reason and other human traits. They see that we use them to kill, demoralise, and invade. We need to realise that we can all live in harmony, and that nuclear weapons can be used as see-saws. 10. Viginti Tres - breathy breathy. MJK's vocal ability is brilliant throughout, with low growling, to screams, to country style warbling (The Pot). He never fails to move this reviewer. // 10

Overall Impression: Oh my God. This is possibly one of Tool's greatest acheivements. It's currently number 4 in the UK album charts, an absolute landmark, as the UK is shite for buying good music. Anyways, this album will be album of 2006. Period. You should all buy it for the Wings songs alone. Or the album cover. If someone were to steal it, I would make them eat the rotting corpse of a small sheep. Then pay for me to see Tool live. Before buying me another 27 copies of the album, in case someone else wanted to steal it. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: Poly.on.y.mous, on april 26, 2006

Sound: Once again Tool pulls through in a sound so unique there is nothing that can even be compared to them. Each song entraps you bringing you in from the start, making you want to listen to each song (and yes the average song is around 6 minutes long, with the longest being 11:13) to the end. The guitar parts are as incredible, if not more than usual, from the melodic playing, to the off beats, and incredible patterns. As always drummer Danny Carey does not fail to impress. With there always innovating style of playing, Tool cranks out another sound masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: Of all the lyricists I have ever reviewed, Maynard Keenan James has to be one of the greatest. His voice just fits perfectly with the sound of Tools playing, and his lyrics are deep and meaningful without drawing to much attention from the overall sound of the CD. His words will make you first listen in awe at the perfect blending of sound and word, and then take you back again to make you seek out and discover the meaning behind each line. MJK does it again with a truly captivating CD. // 10

Overall Impression: I have tried to write this review without revealing anything about the songs meanings, I think another great part of this CD is just listening to it for the first time and only knowing its going to rock, but beyond that just getting taken away for the experience that is Tool. Tool is in a class, league, hell a whole other world of playing than any other band around. This CD will hold onto you and take you through a wonderful soundscape of often heavy, and meaningful songs with such ease, and will keep you coming back to hear them again. My only wish is that I would have more than one quick listen to the full CD; May 2nd seems so far away now that I have had my first taste of Tool's newest CD. My suggestion to all, get ready to take May 2nd off, your going to want to do nothing but listen to this CD. Vicarious, the single is only a small taste of what this one disc offers. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: Illigx, on april 26, 2006

Sound: After 5 years of waiting for this album, I finally got the chance to listen to it yesterday. I had the highest expectations for this album since right after Lateralus came out. When I first listened to the album, I was very dissapointed. The sound was too different. But, as I do with all Tool albums, I listened to it over and over. I probably listened to this album about 6 times that day. This morning I listened to it again. I love the album. In short, the sound goes from somewhere very familiar, to somewhere very different and uncomfortable. I love it. The sound is very powerful, as expected from tool. Danny and Justin really shine on this album. Many songs have a very jazzy sound to it. Even as the album progresses to something different from what I'm used to with Tool, the sound, as far as the instruments goes, is still very much Tool. The sound is very melodic and heavy, many songs are nothing short of epic, 2 songs clocking in at over 11 minutes. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good. Exactly what I expected from Maynard. They become almost like another instrument in many of the songs. His voice is very perfect for the sound of this band. The lyrics fit together perfectly with the music. He uses alot of different styles with his voice in this album. Alot of very deep sounds, to howling mantras, to high pitched angry yelling. As you listen to the album more and more, you'll fall in love with the different styles he uses here, even though they may seem strange upon first listen. In songs such as Rosetta Stoned, his voice is so haunting and powerful, I've listened to it 10 times at least today, and still get goosebumbs every time. Overall, its a beautiful showcase of Maynards voice, from first song to last. // 9

Overall Impression: The album compares to everything Tool has put out in the past, if not better than a lot of it. I still believe to this day, as I have for years, that Tool is the most talented band on the planet right now. The most impressive songs on the album are Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, Right In Two, and I think the most impressive song was Rosetta Stoned. At 11:13 seconds its quite the listen, but when its over, a song couldnt have felt shorter. But, as most Tool albums, I recomend listening to it straight through, I think many of their albums, especially this, Aenima, and Lateralus, should be listened to as one piece. The songs are made to blend into eachother, and they do so flawlessly. I love evertying about this album. I love the vocals, the instruments, the way the entire album flows. At first, I hated it, I hated everything after the first 2 songs, but I realized that was only because those were what I was used to from Tool. After the second or third listen, I fell in love with everything. I fell in love with the album as a whole and what Tool has become since the release of Lateralus. If this album were lost or stolen, I would buy it again. I have it on preorder now, and May 2nd cannot come soon enough. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: str8savage, on august 16, 2006

Sound: First of all, let me just start off by saying that I've been a hardcore Tool fan for several years now. Even though I think some aspects of what they do can be somewhat laughable at times, I still enjoy the music. I've been into Tool since I was introduced to them by Riki Rachtman one night while watching Headbanger's Ball (remember that show, kids? ). Back then, Headbanger's Ball was mostly playing a lot of pretty heavy shit with the occassional Nine Inch Nails or Soundgarden thrown in every so often. I can't remember if it was the Prison Sex or Sober video that I saw first, but I remember thinking these must be some really messed up guys to come up with such a twisted video. I mean, it was metal (sort of) but no long hair, no headbanging, no fire, just puppets. And the music wasn't fast and heavy, but dark and twisted instead. Well, I thought it kicked ass and I was immediately hooked from that point on. I liked the fact that they've always brought something unique to the table. With each new album Tool has continually evolved into something more complex and interesting than it was before. Until now. Which of course brings me to 10, 000 Days. As I said before, Tool has always evolved with each new album... with the exception of 10, 000 Days. This album was, for Tool, a big step in the wrong direction. Right away, even after a brief first listen I get the impression that the band didn't put the same time and energy into creating this record as they had with previous Tool efforts. Much of what was great about first popping in a new Tool CD in the past was that first listen. I remember first popping in the Aenima CD back when it first came out and just being blown away by Stinkfist right of the bat. I must've played that song at least 10 times while looking at the cool hologram thingy in the booklet before I even moved onto the next song. That album was a musical landmark in the genre at the time. However, I just don't get that feeling with 10, 000 Days. With this one, I found myself kind of flipping through songs trying to find the good one... very disappointing, needless to say. Nothing on 10, 000 days really stands out to me as something creatively new for Tool. The style to me is most reminiscent of Lateralus, but a much weaker interpretation this time around. As far as the songs go, my favorite on 10, 000 Days is definitely Right in Two. I've listened to that song probably about 50 times by now and I'm still not sick of it, even though the lyrics are probably some of the worst on the album. My second favorite probably would have to be Jambi. This song is very Lateralus-sounding, with lots of interesting changes throughout. My least favorite song on the album is Vicarious. I still cannot figure out how this song came to be. It's clearly a radio song. One of the things I've always respected about Tool as a band is the fact that they don't make "radio songs." Sure, Lateralus had songs on the radio (Schism, Parabola) and so did Aenima and Undertow (Stinkfist, Sober), but they were not the typical "radio songs." You know, the type of song that has no place on an otherwise creatively inspired album except for the sole purpose of promoting the record via radio waves. Vicarious is complete garbage and has no place on a Tool record what'soever. What pisses me off even worse is that they're actually touring with that piece of crap as like the big encore song or whatever. I just don't get it. Anyway, enough about Vicarious. I could go on all day. Another thing that gets me about this album is the idea that you have to burn a duplicate CD to somehow be able to simultaneously play the songs Wings for Marie, 10, 000 Days and Viginti Tres or whatever to get some sort of 3D musical experience. Personally, I think they did it because they ran out of new song ideas and needed to fill three track slots with essentially one song. God forbid they release an album with less than 12 tracks. Whatever. Hell, old Metallica albums only had 8 songs and they were great albums, worth every penny. Anyway, I just feel that somehow we lost Tool somewhere along the way. I don't know if it's because Maynard is putting a lot of his creative energy into other things or if the band is just running out of ideas in general, but something about 10, 000 Days definitely leaves a bad after taste. Songs like Rosetta Stoned, for instance. What the hell is that?! Aside from the kick ass riff that comes in at about the 3:00 min mark, that song is all over the place ridiculous. First, you have Maynard scat-rapping like Jonathan Davis from Korn and then doing some sort of Alice in Chains voice about halfway through while the whole time talking about being abducted by aliens and shitting the bed. I want whatever drugs he's on... just don't give me a pen and paper because I might be tempted to write a shitty song. There is however one other semi-decent song left on the album called The Pot. The Pot starts out with Maynard singing like Joni Mitchell for who the hell knows what reason and then gets a little better shortly after as soon as the bass comes in. The vibe and sound is reminiscent of something from Undertow and Maynard's voice throughout the song sounds like something from their old days as well. Other than these songs I've just mentioned, the rest are either primarily instrumental or have very little vocals or drums. More like "ear candy" as a friend of mine used to say about certain Tool tracks that aren't really complete songs per se, but more like interesting noise between actual songs. So on a whole, I feel the album is lacking in several ways. One way in particular is that Tool's musicianship has fallen off with 10, 000 Days. Where have all the kickass basslines, drums, and guitar accents gone? The music in this regard has lost much of it's edge heard on Lateralus 5 years ago. Maynard's voice hasn't changed much however. He still sounds like Maynard since he adopted his signature vocal style around the time of Aenima that he's stuck with ever since. You know, the quiet sort of nasally humming he started doing on the song "H" from Aenima. But it sounds cool I guess, so it's all good to me. So now let's break down the lyrics. // 6

Lyrics: As far as lyrics are concerned on this album, let me first start off by saying that 10, 000 Days sadly has some of the worst Tool lyrics ever written. Usually I can really get into the twisted and demented imagery represented in Tool lyrics from the past. In fact, one of the major things that made Tool so interesting was the disturbing lyrics and subject matter like anal sex, fisting, metaphysical, etc. With 10, 000 days, the lyrics are not only of significantly lesser quality than before, but also completely lacking in any element of creepiness. Has Tool finally become normal? Have they lost all their weirdness and just become a regular old run of the mill rock band? It would seem so with this album, lyricwise. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a typical Tool-esque video released for any of the singles for this album. Maybe they'll just show live footage. Who knows. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall, bottom line is that this album is a disappointment. And as I said before, this is coming from a real Tool fan. They only thing I can hope for in the near future at this point is a Perfect Circle album next year that blows my friggin socks off because God knows it'll be at least another 5 years before any hope of anything new again from Tool to redeem themselves from this mediocre attempt. So just to clarify a litte, I don't completely hate the album 100%. There are some good things going on with this album such as Right in Two, Jambi, and The Pot. And if Tool had never existed prior to this release and no one knew what they were capable of, I would say this album kicks ass. So I guess I'm a little biased in the sense that being an avid fan of Tool and having followed their career for several years, I have high standards for what a Tool album should be. This record, unfortunately did not live up to those expectations. But I will say that as pretentious as Tool may seem to some (especially on 10, 000 Days), it still seems that they never take themselves too seriously which in my opinion is the only thing that allows them to get away with some of the bad judgement calls that made their way into this record. But after all that being said, 10, 000 Days is about a billion times better than anything else in the rock genre that I've been hearing out there lately. At least they're not making some emo crap and crying about some chick like all the other bullshit on the radio. So for that, I thank you Tool. But please never make another song again with the word "abananadabanana" in the lyrics ever again. I can only let it slide once. Peace. // 5

10,000 Days Reviewed by: adamsharpe, on april 26, 2006

Sound: Probably the most anticipated album in years, 10,000 Days once again does itself and it's contemporaries with the most thrilling, exhilirating, entrancing, and passionate album in long time. Much like Lateralus, some songs take a few listens for their genious to sink in, while others stick out as immediate favorites. 10,000 Days sounds like the next logical step from Lateralus, both musicially and lyrically. Odd tempos and offset beats make this album fun to listen to, but hard to mosh to. This music is not for the faint of heart. As a guitar player and drummer, this album is absolutely the most enjoyable listen I've had in years. Adam Jones's signature sound comes through clear while his work steps up with complexity in an impressive way. Danny Carey is a drum god and this album proves it all over again (even more than Lateralus). Justin's bass lines come through strong and play well off of the guitar line, sometimes even taking over lead melody. Maynard's vocals are top notch as well, with some unexpected experimentation that you'll either love or hate. ("The Pot" for example). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album tend to focus less on heightend spirituality, but deal more with practical issues (violence on TV, accepting responsiblity for your own mistakes, etc). This album leans in the diretion of being a little less abstract and more focused and real. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD was well worth the wait (Although rumors have it that we won't have to wait for another 5 years to get anotherh Tool contribution). I got an advanced promo copy for reviewing purposes only, but this cd continues to impress me with every listen. Highlights are Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, and Right In Two. This album is a must own for any Tool fan, or fan of progressive rock. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: sleazy_d, on april 27, 2006

Sound: As most Tool fans know, the band has always had a unique sound to it. And this album certainly delivers just that. You can hear in Maynard's vocals that he has definitely matured as an artist. Now I know some people have said that it sounds like A Perfect Circle. But that is completely wrong. But not to totally condemn those people it is obvious that APC had an effect on his singing but the overall music is true Tool. The most evident song has to be 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) this is one of those 11 minute Tool songs that just sucks you into the experience of the album as a whole. I truly enjoyed listening to Adam's guitar throughout the whole album (especially the last part of Vicarious). It seemed to me his playing was a lot more prevalent in this album, but that is not a bad thing. Any fan of the group will truely enjoy this album from start to finish. // 10

Lyrics: Ah Tool lyrics. To me half the fun of listening to Tool is figuring out what exactly Maynard is trying to express through his voice. This keeps you coming back to listen to album more and more and eventually you get an idea of what the overall album is about, but a complete understanding. Whether this approach is intentional or not it keeps you coming back for more. You just sucked into Maynard's haunting yet soothing voice. Most of the songs lyrically are just that, even in faster paced songs such as Vicarious. The one song that impressed me lyrically was The Pot. I heared some of his "new voice" in this song but you also get a taste of what Maynard's voice was back in the days of Undertow, kind of raw and having meaning. Was very impressed with some of the high notes Maynard hit on this song. // 10

Overall Impression: Now this album I'm listening to is of course one of the many leaked copies. But being a huge fan of Tool as I am, I'm going to make sure to buy the CD the day it comes out. Now this album I can't say isn't their best ever. Lateralus and Aenima are definitely much better. But that doesn't mean this album isn't great. When in fact it is. As I listened to this CD I felt sort of relaxed and calm, I let the music take me to where the band wanted the listener to be. Now I don't know if that will be true for everyone or anyone else for that matter. But that is the great thing about Tool and music in general. We all have different feelings while listening to Tool because of our different perspectives on things. I truely love this album and would instantly replace it if it were lost or stolen. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: Mr.Awesome, on june 06, 2006

Sound: Many people consider tool to be either "prog. metal" or "prog. rock." This is mainly because of their variations of instruments, singing styles, and overall CD of each CD. "10,000 days" is probably one of their loudest CDs (next to Opiate and Undertow) and in songs like "Vicarious" and "The Pot" this is more or less proven. The guitar in "Vicarious" is without a doubt some of the best guitar work I've heard from Adam Jones, and in "The Pot" Justin Chancellor shows off his incrdible bass skills. // 10

Lyrics: Now, with every new Tool CD, comes a new "puzzle" of lyrics. In "10,000 days" Maynard really starts to pick at your brain with complicated lyrics and what seems to be random gibberish (Rosetta Stoned). In "Vicarious" there is a very clear message about our modern media society and how people love to see others suffer. This song is pretty creepy too. The lyrics in this cd have blown me away! Without the music I would still buy this CD just to try and pick apart what Maynard is saying and try and put it together again and see what weird, messed up message there is (if any at all). // 9

Overall Impression: This CD is in no way similar to any of theire previous releases, and thats good. The best songs on this cd are "Vicarious" and "Right In Two". Oddly enough, these are the two songs that differ most from tools older work. The one thing I hate about this CD is that the songs go on for too long, and I think they could have replaced those longer songs with shorter, more enjoyable songs. I mean "Part Of Me" is only like 4 min long, and that is an incredible song (for those of you that haven't heard Opiate yet, it's from that CD). Everything else about this cd I love, even the creepy interludes, like "Lipan Conjuring". I actually lost this CD before, and I was prepared to go out and buy another copy, but I found it again in my friends car. However, if I had not found I would have most definately bought another! The artwork is worth the $13 I paid alone, it's incredible! // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2006

Sound: I'm a huge Tool fan and this album sounds just as good as the others production wise. I first heard the single and I think that is a great opening track but after listening to the whole album it really does explore many different soundscapes that are nothing like the opening track vicarious.It reallys covers a lot of ground with alot of things you wound not expect from Tool. At first I was put off by some of the songs but listening to the album a whole is a journey just like there other albums then when you fully understand a track its great to listen to by itself. That bands sound has moved on alot but has also got the Tool sound. I've heard a few people say the sound is like Lateralus which at first impressions it may seem that way and in parts of the album it does but then in others parts it sounds nothing like it. This is a new album after all and it sounds that way. All the playing on it is great, the drums are great as usual. We all know Danny is a bloody gun and the the bass is great. I saw another review that said that adam was playing 10,000 miles away in some parts, I see his point but it's Tool, maybe that's what he was trying to do who knows, only they do. Also some parts don't sound as well put together as Lateralus but maybe there put together that way on purpose as well (maybe they just stuffed up). The overall playing is great. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very mixed there some that make you think about the world and humanity, death and lose and others that sound like tripping on drugs if that has a sound. There are some lines that I just think to myself 'was he tripping when he wrote this'. Rosetta Stoned has got really weird lyrics but after a few listens I found it to be very funny and I think that may be the point of the song. The lyrics to the Wings Songs are perfect they really get the message across, very emotional. The lyrics to Right In Two is also a highlight for me. There is a sense of humour to a lot of the lyrics which at first I found very different to past Tool albums almost like a parody of human life not that Tool have lacked a sense of humour in the past. Whatever the lyrics meaning or purpose thay do get a message across whatever that may be for each listener which Maynard has always done well I think. The lyrics nearly always mix in with the music very well. As for the singing Maynard is all over the place singing in many different styles and voices which after a few listens I really like. // 9

Overall Impression: This is such a hard album to review because my thoughts on it are forever changing. There are many things I like about it. The Wings Songs being an emotional jouney. Jambi and Vicarious are rocking. The Pot for being different. Rosetta Stoned for being at first making me think what the hell is this and then liking it and laughing at it. And Right In Two starts off slow then builds up to a nice ending also. As I said before it covers a lot of ground and after listening to it a few times I find myself thinking about the album in new ways. I now see that the album has three major pieces of music that have the different subject matter wings for Marie/10,000 Days deals with death and Maynards mother and is very emotional.Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned is just a trip to say the least (UFOs and Acid). Intension and Right In Two I believe deal with humanitys beginnings and then actions. These three songs are all 15minutes plus then you have three songs that are 6 to 8 mintures my point is that this album seems like three or four albums in the space of an album. I'm listening to Rosetta Stoned thinking was Wings really on this album it seems a life time ago. The more I listen the more I like it. Live these songs are going to take on new life and they will be great. This album make you think about what tool really is and I think at the end of the day there whatever they want to be and thats why I respect them and can't wait till they tour. This album is not flawless there are things I don't like but it provokes me to think and to feel (and laugh) just like Lateralus and past Tool albums and few bands can do that as well as Tool. I will buy this album when it cames out. // 9

10,000 Days Reviewed by: EHeisz, on may 03, 2006

Sound: Five years in the making brings us another great Tool masterpiece in 10,000 days. This album delivers the melodic, hard hitting and mind blowing polished sound that can only be described as Tool. This CD will give tool fans just what they have been looking for the past five years, and will amaze first time listeners leaving them salivating in their seat, yearing for more. To those who know and love Tool, this CD incorporates the same elements known to the tool sound, but with a heavier and more instrumental twist. For those who do not know or listen to tool, prepare to be amazed as you will hear the totally unique and most unpredictable music you may ever hear. This CD never bores, with the fast paced drum lines ever changing rhythm and breathtaking vocals. One little flaw to this album which is not present in it's predecessors is that the vocals, I think, are not as loud as they should be. The instrumentals seem to be much to overpowering compared to Maynard's voice. // 9

Lyrics: To anyone familiar with tool's style, the lyrics are what is to be expected. These lyrics are well though out and are mostly easy to pick apart at a glance on some tracks, and others are completely insane and seem as though they have no meaning. Although some songs seem to have no meanings to their lyrics I can assure you this is not just random writtings. All, and I mean all of tool lyrics have some sort of story or deep meaning behind them. This cd is no exception to that. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is another great Tool album. To those who are big fans of tool, I'm sure you will love this album. To those who haven't had a chance to hear much or any of tool this is probably a good spot to pick up listening to them. to those who wish to find another great band, or would love to experience something different this is the band for you. For those really uncertain about buying the album, you should definitly at least download these three songs. Vicarious, Jambi and The Pot as these songs are great and I think will make the your decision alot easier. Lastly even if you are determined not to listen to tool, at least try to get out and see the album design. You will not be disappointed. It is one of the coolest cd casses I have seen to date by far. I showed the album to people who don't even know who tool is let alone listen to them and they were amazed and astounded by the case and its design. // 9

10,000 Days Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2006

Sound: Tools new album contains songs that are mainly 7mins in length and many are like "oh man what a marathon" but in truth it just means we get the priviledge of listening to the worlds greatest band for longer periods of time I mean be honest the music is like sex for ears a purely oragasmic experience anyone would love to listen to. The sound on this album is second to none. Blending the distortion from aenima the artistic genius from lateralus and the jazzy drums from the live shows heard on salival and using some funky bass riffs. Maynard in this album is amazing, the vocals are very powerfull while at the same time being very melodic with an effortless ease that only he can produce. All the members ahve really steped it up on this album and all I can say is bring on the live shows! // 10

Lyrics: I need but one word to describe the vocals amazing. Maynard really pulls it off like I said above he really has put a more Prog feel in this album. The lyrics focus lesson religion but moreon everyday life e.g. taking responsibilty for you actions etc. Vocally the best song for me is vicarious the single it is truly amazing he blends mellow singing to an angry tone effortlessly changing the mood of the song in an instant he is the best vocalist in rock today. // 10

Overall Impression: Tool cannot be compared to any other band with their amazing polyrhythms and unusual timing they cannot be compared to anyone. I'm hard pushed to find a bad song on thiws album a truly faultless LP by Tool cementing themselves as the best band in rock today. Oh Maynard tell the boys to keep feb 07 free for the Grammys. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: lateralus_464, on may 10, 2006

Sound: Tool at its finest. This is a great album for Maynard, Adam, Justin, and Danny to go out on. They incorporate the same good innovative Tool sound with new elements and experiments. This album tends to bounce back and fourth between Tool's heavy side and their twisted deep softer sounds. They have done it right with every album and this one is no different. This is Tool. // 10

Lyrics: Maynard lead Tool in the vocal department and in my opinion in the department greatest frontmen of all time. His voice is pure ranging from higher octaves to low thundering versus and choruses of deep thought. The lyrics on this album are as deep and contorting as ever. They question modern day thinking and the mayhem of our cultural norms. This voice of James Keenan Maynard and words go great with the soud capitalizing on a great band. // 10

Overall Impression: If I recall, VH1 had Tool on their top 100 or 50 but not in their top 10 greatest metal band of all time. To me thats some justice to the boys of Tool but not near enough. This band has outlasted many other groups and has been and will continue to be influential in where our rock and metal music go from here on out. This album is another one of those where if your a true lover of good music, Tool is where its at. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: wings4marie, on may 15, 2006

Sound: After Maynard's time spent with A Perfect Circle, this is definitley an amazing return. A different sound for Tool. The bass and drums in my opinion are much more apparent on this album than any of the others. Adam's signature guitar sound still shows up on all the tracks, the Vicarious intro especially. Some interesting and difficult changes in the guitar riffs as well. And in case anyone is curious about the title of the album, 10,000 Days, Maynard's mother Marie (Wings For Marie) was paralyzed for 10,000 days before she passed. Also shown in the APC song "Judith". However, some of the interludes somewhat killed the feeling the previous song left you with. // 10

Lyrics: MJK's singing has changed for the better since Lateralus. Some experimentation in his techniques as well. This showed up for instance in "The Pot" intro with a high-pitched start that didn't even sound like him at first. More of a different sound as far as matching up with the music. It'll definitely take a couple listens to the CD before I adjust to it from Lateralus, that's for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: It's definitely a different album, and almost fits into a whole new genre by itself. It rates just about the same to Lateralus and Undertow, but its different. Vicarious, The Pot, and Rosetta Stoned are definitely the highlights of the album. Different sound that's a pleasant change. I'd definitely buy it again if I needed to. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: MiniMusicMasta, on june 20, 2006

Sound: I got into Tool about a week ago after hearing a lot about them. I got Schism and Parabola on my music player and liked what I heard. I got the album for my Birthday. 3 words. It's Awesome. They sound sometimes like an exotic fusion of tribes and wildlife and then all of a sudden it turns into a beast and runs at you hard! It's kinda like experimental metal. I'm not usually into stuff this heavy but if the pounding riffs didn't do it for me. // 10

Lyrics: It was Maynards vocals. By god he can sing. As he demonstrates in 'The Pot', he makes his voice go ever so high and then you listen to something like Jambi or Vicarious you wouldn't believe it was the same person. He sure can sing. // 10

Overall Impression: I haven't already mentioned it but the artwork is also great on the packaging. It has glasses and it makes the art 3-D. Anyway, Yeah so I think Tool rock. It's great stuff. Because they're so experimental, you cant really compare it to anyone. But it's absolutely fantastic. I would defo buy it again. // 9

10,000 Days Reviewed by: Ionian, on june 24, 2006

Sound: Yet again tool are back with an increible new album 10,000 Days. The use of heavy riffs and amazing bass lines, not to mention the odd time signitures and not to mention the incredible vocals of front man Maynard, make this one of the best metal albums of the year. The opening track 'Vicarious' is a beatuful masterpiece of Progressive Metal, openong with classic progresive start and building up to one of the best riffs in tools history. 'The Pot' shows how much Tool's intricate rhythms can be put togther to form an epic piece of modern metal, it is built on the main bass riff played by Justin which is good listening but bloody hard to play in time, followed by the complicated yet impreesive drumming of Danny, plus the poweful vocals of front man Maynard and the axe master Adam. // 10

Lyrics: Although bulk of 10,000 days is mainly instumenal, the lyrics are sill as powerful and emotional as Lateralus. 10,000 Days shows the just how well Tool can write and produce brilliant lyrics and yet still manage to put them in songs that have a 67/24 timings, the skill that is involved in this is truly great and just shows how well and established the band are as a whole. // 8

Overall Impression: If you thought that nothing that Tool ever done could top Lateralus then you would be wrong. Total Guitar magazine said that only five of the eleven songs on 10,000 Days were good enough, but if they had bothered to listen to it over and over again then they would realsize that all the bloody songs are good enough. If you love bands such as Pink Floyd, Marillion, King Crimson and The Mars Volta or you just love the trashy metal riffs and sweet orcostrated sounds then 10,000 Days will be right up your street, it lives up to the quality of former Tool albums and has well been wort the 4 year wait. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: Dwnelson226, on july 18, 2006

Sound: I don't think that Tool has ever sounded tighter than they do on this album. The sound quality couldn't be better. This album's general sound is a little different than past recordings, but then again, each album always sounds different than the one before it because they take four year breaks between each album so different elements and influences are put into each one. There are some Meshugga aspects to this album as well as some orchestral or classical aspects with regards to song structure. Maynard's voice is absolutely amazing on this record and Adams guitar playing has gotten a little more complex. Justin is an awsome bassist as usual and Danny's drumming is absolutely breath-taking, especially on Rosetta Stoned, because at a few parts his limbs are in like three or four different time signitures. // 10

Lyrics: Maynard is one of the best vocalists out there right now. His voice is amazing and his lyrics ore complex and meaningful. This album is a little angrier than their previous record, Lateralus, but there is still an underlying positivity through out. The lyrics, as always, fit perfectly with the music and really blend in and make the album soud very big. // 10

Overall Impression: I really can't compare this album to Lateralus or any of their other albums because they are all so different and good in their own way. Once again they manage to make an album as aposed to a CD with random songs and a few sigles. This is just a great album and if it were stolen I would deffinently buy it again. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 24, 2006

Sound: Well the album starts off with a bang, "Vicarious" and "Jambi" display everything that Tool is, technical, musical and creative. But this is shortly lived. The next two songs, which happen to be a two part story, "Wings for Marie (part 1)" and 10,000 Days (Part 2), Just seem to drag on and on, and are a real step down from the first two tracks on the album. After 17:24 minutes of what seems to be pure filler, "The Pot" is a real breath of fresh air and shows another side of Tool. It opens with some melodic vocals, and then kicks in with one of the most impressive bass-lines I've heard in a very long time. Tool begin to show their Progressive side, with "Lipan Conjuring" and "Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)", They may not be memorable songs or even very good. But they are a good bridge/interlude section for the album, and they're not the longest of songs, so it doesn't really matter. And yet another great song,"Rosetta Stoned" has a more hard rock feel to it than the other songs on the album, but it is great non-the-less. Very fast vocals over some great hard rock riffs start off the song. And the breakdown of the song shows the prog-rock side of Tool we all know and love. The last three songs aren't the most memorable, but if I had to choose the best out of the Three I'd go with "Right in Two". Although I guess I'm just choosing the lesser of three evils. // 8

Lyrics: Well I've always seen something special in Tool's lyrics, and this album is no different. Covering some of the darkest aspects of human emotions in "Vicarious" and even covering the effects of drugs in "The Pot". The lyrics really make this album great. // 10

Overall Impression: If it wasn't for the countless filler songs, I would rate this as the best Tool album to date. But don't get me wrong, it is still worth the buy even if it's just for "Vicarious", "Jambi", "The Pot" and "Rosetta Stoned". Over-all it was well-worth the listen and I can't wait to see them on tour. // 9

10,000 Days Reviewed by: shhaannt, on september 25, 2006

Sound: Tool's sound hasn't changed much from their last album, but their using diffrent types of precusion to accent their songs now, I like it better like this. The story behind 10,000 days is that Maynard's mother (Judith) had some kind of cancer and since the day she got diagnosed for it she died in about 10,000 days, but other than that they just got together and recorded it. They play a sort of metal/prog rock/progressive/experamental. Overall I love the sound of this album! // 10

Lyrics: I love the way tool constructs their lyrics, and 10,000 days isn't an exception. They are lyrical geniuses! And the way the lyrics and the music flow is a perfect match. Maynard is, in my opinion, the greatest lyricist ever! he uses metaphors, irony, and a lot of other types of ways to make the lyrics sound more complex. // 10

Overall Impression: Every Tool album can't be compared to any of their other albums, let alone other artists. My favorite song is The Pot, and Roseta Stoned (which is about a really stupid guy that gets abducted by aliens, or the government, and gets told when the world is going to end, and he gets dramatized by the whole thing and goes crazy). My other favorite song is the back to back: 10,000 Days (Part 1), and Wings For Marie (Part 2), they are both very instrumental and sound awesome. I love evry second of this album! if this CD was stolen I would hunt down the person that stole and buy 5 more! // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: Malakian.Fan.13, on october 09, 2006

Sound: The band's sound is still as unique and original as Opiate, that is great because there isn't many bands who sound so unique and so Orignial like them. I Read a artical on Adam Jones in Guitar World and he said that people are saying that is took 10,000 Days to record this album but if it was true, it would have been relesed in about 27 Years. The thing on this album that I really like is the Talk-Box Solo in Jambi which is really cool. If you don't have this album, go buy it right now. // 10

Lyrics: The things that Adam Jones writes about hasn't changed and I hope it never does. The lyrics are just perfect with the music, the perfect example of that is Vicarious, The Pot, and Rosetta Stoned. Maynard's singing has not changed one bit and his voice is perfect in Rosetta Stoned when he's singing so fast. // 10

Overall Impression: Tool has never been like other bands in any way and they will always be like that, I'm very impressed with Jambi, Vicarious, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right In Two, and the rest. I love everything about the album, if it was stolen or lost, I won't go buy anthor copy because that would be anthor 15 bucks out of my pocket, I'd go beat up the person who stole it. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 29, 2006

Sound: After the godsent opus that is "Lateralus" all I could think about was the next chapter. So the world waited, "feet cold and eyes red" and yearned with each passing day for the next gospel in the saga that is Tool. Now it's here and both the ravenously faithful and obligatory blasphemers alike are ripping it apart. This album's sound is huge. Production is, at the very least, on par with "Lateralus". Joe Barresi did a monumental job engineering this album to stellar standards as well as working with Adam Jones with configuring his guitar's tone and delivery for the album. Justin Chancellor, alongside Jones, helps to deliver the best rhythm section Tool has ever produced, as is showcased on songs like "The Pot" and "Jambi". Jones digs into an old bag of tricks filled with new magic as he impliments some previously unused guitar sounds while stepping up his playing tremoundously. Likewise, Chancellor has never sounded better, playing some songs with unbelievable complexity and accuracy. Then there's Danny Carey, Danny Carey is, well, not human. Not only can he play polyrhythms in his sleep and cleanly hits every note. Needless to say this is his best album. // 10

Lyrics: There is no doubting Maynard James Keenan. The man is an authentic genius who has proved his ability, time and again, to weld seamless and almost transcendental words, whose syntax almost bleeds with introspection. But I've seen many reviews where people have just trashed his performance on this album, and for what? Being blunt is not a sign of weakness, rather a sign of control. Maynard's lyrics are direct and less veiled on this album, but he has many moments of poeticism and right when you think Maynard is slipping silently under the cover of a parable he jumps out at you only to knock you off your feet with mastered honesty or unorthodox humor. Overall, the lyrics fit the music and vice-versa. Not only that, but the man can sing, really well. "The Pot" might well be Maynard's most interesting vocal performance in Tool and he nails every falsetto/herculean scream to the T. All in all, nothing in the Rev's department has changed, he is still one of the best alive and will continue to be so. // 10

Overall Impression: 10,000 Days is Tool being Tool. The problem with expectations is that we form preconceptions. So based on this, it seems people preconceived Breaking Benjamin's concept album. Wrong. This is Tool evolving, and in the scope of their career this is a perfect piece in their puzzle. This is not "Lateralus" or "Aenima" and, surprise, surprise, wasn't meant to be. It is mindblowing as usual, pummeling polyrhythmal assaults and abrasively beautiful lyrics that change into dreamscapes of somber revelations and dissonant echoes of strings. Nothing is trite, nothing out of place, it's a work of art meant to be looked at collectively, as a whole, not as a hit list served up MTV style. There is something at work here, something genius, and more importantly, something evolutionary. Tool is changing, shedding skin and whether the critics want to accept this or not, Tool is the best band in the world and this album, like it or not, is another gold brick in their almost mythical temple. // 9

10,000 Days Reviewed by: ratm_basssolger, on january 05, 2007

Sound: The expectations were high after Lateralus and Tool have come out with an album that definately matches those expectations. This is a perfect blend of all the styles Tool have used in the past. The sound has become heavier (Meshuggah influence), but it still maintains the brilliance of Tool. This CD took five years to make and it was definately worth the wait. This album is a very good follow up to Lateralus, which might just be the greatest album of our generation. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics and singing is the main reason I listen to Tool. Maynard James Keenan is an awesome vocalist and they have maintained the high standard in vocals and songwriting, he can handle great melodies (Right In Two) and more odd, weird vocals (Rosetta Stoned) with ease. His voice is a perfect fit with the sound of Tool. Awesome stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: This is no patch on Lateralus but this is definately an awesome album. This would easily be Tool's best work after Lateralus to date. My favourite songs off the album are Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, Right In Two, The Pot, Wings For Mary (Wings Pt.1) and 10,000 Days (Wings Pt.2).I especially love the lyrics and the vocals. I also think Adam Jones has really started using more styles and there are many more inventive solos(talkbox solo on Jambi). Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor are excellent as usual and Justin shines on The Pot. I this were stolen or lost I would definately buy it again, Everyone should go out and buy this, it is definately woth it. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: Fretish, on july 26, 2007

Sound: When I first heard the beginning of Vicarious I was expecting an album much alike Lateralus. But I was so wrong after finishing the album. The album is currently one of my all time favorites because it shows that tool has the balls to go into any direction they want and not care what fans or any other people think. And as far as I'm concerned they have done a fantastic job in doing so. Tool never intended to produce "Lateralus 2".Any genuine tool fan would know that and respect that fact. Tool create albums that are distinctive from anything else and that that's including their very own previous efforts. To me 10,000 days was more rocky and heavy metal-ish than lateralus which was being all mystic and psychedelic with mind boggling guitar riffs and odd-time drum patterns. Not to say 10,000 days is not but it had more of a hard rock punch to it, at least to me. But there were still songs that took you onto an epic journey which really left a lasting impression. 01. Vicarious - most people hate this song to the fact it was too radio friendly. but that shouldn't be of anyones concern. the song is a fantastic opening to the album. To me it re-enforces the whole look of the album artwork. To me the song is about how we have this fetish of seeing others misfortunes not only on the TV but anywhere else. 02. Jambi - great entry riff which turned me on the moment it started. Great progression throughout the track. Adam Jones did a very good job on the solo. 03. Wings For Marie/10,000 Days - these two continue one ofter another (Parabol/Parabola). These two tracks create such an orgasmic experience if you really sit down and carefully disect each instrument and how they play their part. This is including Maynard singing which further enhances that powerful force the song gives you. I think this song is about Maynard accepting the fact that his mother is dead and letting her go. I could be so wrong in any of my interpretations of tool songs but this is what comes to me when I listen to them. 04. The Pot - when I first heard this I was knocked of guard. It did have a very weird intro. It did not feel like a typical tool song at first but this is one of those songs that make you sick to your stomach but then later on grows on you and becomes your all time favourite. Which is exactly what happend to me. This song basically talks about hypocrisy in a way. Great bassline following the marvelous intro by Maynard. some real neat riffs put in by Adam Jones which compliments on Danny Carey's drum work. 05. Lipan Conjuring - this was a very wierd track but somehow was kinda fun to listen because there was a small part where the electric guita comes in for half a second. it was a pretty good interlude. Not sure on what it meant. 06. Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann) - this song was a great prelude for Rosetta Stoned. I think it's about a man on LSD and in the hospital and the doctors not having a clue on what's going on with him. Since the name has the name Hofmann. The creator of LSD. 07. Rosetta Stoned - this song is a masterpiece. it's songs like these that make me smile. Great music all the way through. shifts from one tune to another which ease and great timing. This is probably about the LSD patient describing how he was abducted by aliens. 08. Intension - this is another track that can make you dream away. this song contains real good basslines that sounds so epic and really balance well with Danny Carey's beat work. Real moves on well to Right in Two. 09. Right In Two - my personal choice for an album single. Starts off with a mellow guitar tune then picked up by the tablas (or the electric drums which emulate the tablas) and later becomes intense and real heavy. one of my favorite tracks on the album. This talks about man being competitive and greedy. Fighting over almost anything and everything. 10. Viginti Tres - one of those typical ways to end an album. Cannot make much sense of this track because I got no clue as to what it's about apart from the fact that the title means 23 in latin. Not sure if it is latin or some other language. // 9

Lyrics: I'm going to say what everyone else says. Maynard is my favorite singer period. his lyrics has raised the standard for heavy music today and still maintains that standard in my opinion. His voice fits the usic and the tune and tone of Adams and Justins guitar work and bass work respectively. Lyrics were more straightforward this time. At least to me. But that's definitely not a bad thing. If that's what Maynard what's to do you'll just have to respect his choice. To me his lyrics are wonders so I don't have a problem. // 9

Overall Impression: 10,000 cannot be and should not be compared to any other of tools albums. Tool strives hard to create album that are a breed of their own and have their own style. People should not judge and compare 10,000 days to Lateralus. They are two completely different albums with different thoughts and creative juices. 10,000 is a masterpiece of its own. It really allows the band members to shine with their exceptional level of talent that they have. From the great packaging to the very little detail on sound. If this album was lost of stolen I'd cry and then go a buy another 10 incase in happens again! // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: RuShRoCkS!, on june 20, 2008

Sound: This was the first Tool album I bought so I have a lot of respect for it. My friend, who is probaly a better drummer then any of you reading this, told me about the pot, The greatist bass line I had heard untill schism. Songs like jambi, the pot, and roseta stoned are epic! I love this album! 01. Vicarious - very true! You cannot tell me you don't enjoy watching people lie on the ground in pain after being struck in the head w/ a hammer. It's cald slapstick! But MJK has a point: It's all fun and games till' someone gets hurt, then it's frickin hilarious! Good begining to an album! 02. Jambi - I guess this is my favorate song on this album. This is just a cool song. I love the bass solos and the part that gose: da da dum da da dum/" well damn my eyes!" Good, very good! 03. Wings For Marie - yeah, I don't need to explain what it's about. Everyone already told you. It has a cool, spooky sound when it starts and nice G. solo. 04. 10,000 Days - this bass line is so frickin' complicated! But a verywell composed song. Great song all round. I lke the part that gose "10,000 days and the fire is dyin' out, your goin' home." 05. The Pot - this song is epic! It's either this or Jambi. Justin at his best! The reason I bought this album! That was a lot of incompleat sentances. The meaning of the song is not about being stoned or someone talkin' about MJK's dead mother. It's about this toaster eating Danny Cairy. So MJK gets a bazooka and kills it. Little do they know Adam Jones it breading baby gorillas in his basement, so Justin kills them and Adam w/his killer bass lines! I don't know though? That's just what it means to me. It could really mean something differant. 06. Lipan Conjuring - do I need to expain this one? No one listens to it Anyway! 07. Lost Keys - an inermission. A guitar riff. A conversation between a nurse and a docter. And a lead into Most Hard core song on the album. 08. Roseta Stoned - yes it is spelled w/only one T. And yes, it is the sequal to Lost Keys. I love this song! The mistery is if the guy really was abducted or if he was just on some LSD. Or, if he was mad because he forgot his pen. IDK? But it's hard core! Way too meny F bombs though. 09. Intension - this song is cool. I don't listen to it that much though. 10. Right In Two - this song is about how God gave man free will and half of us choose to kill each other. Dumb but it has a good point. I like it uptill the end of the G. solo. Then it starts skipping. Is it supposed to do that? 11. Viginti Tres - what a waist of five min. and two sec. Just a butt load of randomly, gay noises. It's gay! Arn't endings supposed to be epic or somethin'? An absolute waist! // 9

Lyrics: I know that the lyrics disapointed some people because the lack of anal sex referances but Tool is far from normal! Just listen to Roseta Stoned! MJK is amazing! He makes me feel special because he said I was pretty and because he has a low voice and people still listen to him. So w/ my low voice I know I'm not unwanted! Plus he doesen't do those annoying screams. When MJK screams he screams w/ a meaning. Once again Tool is far from normal. These are some of the best Tool lyrics! // 10

Overall Impression: It's not as good as Lateralus but it's better than Undertow. My favs are Jambi, The Pot, Roseta Stoned, and 10,000 Days. The pointless songs that don't do anything for me are Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres. I thought that the art work was cool. I'm an artist who likes that kind of abstractness (is that a word? A well don't care). That worked out nice. If the album was lost I'd find it. If it were stolen I wouldn't care because It's on my MP3. Good album. I went to Taco Bell today. // 9

10,000 Days Reviewed by: SGofawesome, on january 28, 2010

Sound: Tool is one of the few late-alternative bands to survive the new era, and this is their best yet. 10, 000 Days is the follow-up to the famed album Lateralus, and it blows it's predecessor out of the park. The sound of Tool is unique in its own way. There is no other band that does it better, or even does it good. Amazing drums from Danny Carey, the best ever in a Tool album. The effects on the guitar are better than ever, and Maynard James Keenan has totally changed his vocals. He has still the same classic eerie feeling, but now he includes a hard bite into his soft vocals. Adam Jones got rewally technical with this album. It includes a talk-box guitar solo in Jambi, in which his guitar has a pipe-bomb microphone built in, you can totally tell when you compare it to all the other albums. Overall, the sound is unique beyond unique. If you're looking for a new sound, you won't know what to say about this. The best sound out of any other Tool album. // 10

Lyrics: Really, the vocals are amazing throughout the whole album, but the higlights are in Vicarious, The Pot, and Rosetta Stoned. Lyrically, however, the songs switch in complexity. Rosetta Stoned easily has the best lyrics in the whole album, along with Vicarious and Lost Keys (Blame Hofman), which is actually part of Rosetta Stoned. Tool has came a long way lyrically, and vocally too. A lot of the songs are still ten minutes long, but they're worth it. Maynard has one of the best vocal talents of all alternative rock and anybody that came from it. He puts on an amazing show, if anyone has seen them live. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Vicarious: the first single on the album, Amazing, Brilliant, Outstanding in every way. Guitar kills in this song, and vocally this song is the best out of any other song by Tool. A song that can never get overplayed, every time it's on the radio, it must be turned up. 10/10 02. Jambi: the third single on this killer album, and this song is yet another great performance, especially on the drums. There is no better song for the drums by Danny. I listen to this song every day, this is one of the few songs by Tool that sound quite punk, but still have the "Tool" feeling to it. 10/10 03. Wings For Marie: the first part of a 17 minute-24 second song, this song is NOT, i repeat NOT for any mainstream fan. It would probably bore any modern day listener to sleep. For a Tool fan, however, will be extremely intrigued by it. Nice vocals for the amount of it there is, the lyrics are simple. It would take a genius in the art of eerie music to write something like this. 8.5/10 04. 10,000 Days: the second part of the song, and it is just as curious as the first. Guitar gets way better, lyrics and vocals stay the same, but the bass gets brought out more. Amazing performance by Tool, I would love to see this live. 8.5/10 05. The Pot: the second single of the album, and it is just as good as the other two single, if not better. This is my favorite song by Tool, it has the best guitar, best lyrics, and best bass in any other song. It got nominated for a Grammy, and totally deserves it too. 10/10 06. Lipan Conjuring: Every Tool album has one of these, the 1-1/2 minute song. Very peculiar. That's all there really is to say. 7/10 07. Lost Keys (Blame Hofman): another 2-part song, and it slays even more than the first. First, it's about Maynard as a Protagonist who takes LSD and suffers from it. This is obvious because Hofmann is the founder of LSD. 8.5/10 08. Rosetta Stoned: amazing lyrics and vocals, now it's Maynard in the hospital from the LSD, and eventually the nurse reveals that it's all in his head. That's from the LSD. Anyway, the intro is orgasmistic, the bass kills here. The drums improve throughout the song, and the guitar puts its best foot forward when it comes to effects. Amazing song, but quite peculiar. 9.5/10 09. Intension: a good follow up to Rosetta Stoned, but not that great. This is one of the songs that I don't listen to on this album. Vocal talent goes nowhere here. 7/10 10. Right In Two: the other song I don't really listen to. It's a good song, but it isn't really that catchy, a little too peculiar if I may add. 7.5/10 11. Viginti Tres: Tool always has a closer with a weird name, like in Aenima, there's DIE ER VON SATAN, and in Lateralus there's FAAIP DE OIAD. Now there's this. It always sounds like a news report or something, and it closes the album well, really lets your mood for the song rest, instead of drop. 8.5/10 Overall, the most impressive songss are: Vicarious Jambi The Pot Rosetta Stoned The biggest factor in this album that I love is the amazing vocals throughout. The only thing I don't like is...well I can't think of anything. This is the best album of 2006, ahead of Slayer's Christ Illusion. If I had lost this, I would buy it again, buy a safe for it, and keep it in it. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: patbuck2, on august 06, 2010

Sound: My impression of the band's sound and music is that I absolutely love them. I love Tool's blending of the old school progressive rock sound of the 60's and 70's like King Crimson, Rush, and Pink Floyd with modern alternative rock and metal like The Melvins, Alice in Chains, and Kyuss. The most impressive parts of Tool's music, to me, is Adam Jones' guitar tone and Justin Chancellor's bass tone. Maynard's unique voice and Danny's masterful drumming are great additions, as well. +Like every Tool album, the band spent a lot of time creating this one and waited a few years since the last one to release this one. That is something that I love about the band. They take the music seriously. They don't just spit out another album every year to meet some quota. The quality of the music shows the time they put into it. +The band stuck to their familiar style of not always playing the same thing. :p: Tool definitely tries out new stuff, while still maintaining their signature sound. Some new things they tried include Adam's talk box solo in Jambi and the more mellow, extremely personal epic of Wings and 10,000 Days. They also experimented with some more industrial sounds on Intension and Right in Two. +Something else worth sharing is that if you play 10, 000 Days at the same time as Wings for Marie and Viginti Tres, the music and lyrics sync up perfectly with each other. Makes one wonder if it was intentional or not. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are much more personal on Maynard's part than their other albums. The Wings/10,000 Days epic is extremely personal (it's about Maynard's mother). This album has some of Maynard's best lyrics in my opinion. +The lyrics comply with the music like they are another instrument for the band. That's always been a goal of the band and it always comes off that way to me. Maynard really does help the music along and vice versa. +As far as Maynard's singing skills, well, they are just Maynard. He has a unique voice that many modern rock singers have tried to emulate and show as an influence in their music. The fast talking of Rosetta Stoned is interesting and the high-pitched singing on The Pot was cool and was pulled off quite well. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't really want to compare it to any other albums. Although, I can say that sometimes with some bands that start out good, they can end up sounding pretty bad on their later albums. Sort of like a bad cover band of themselves. However, I find that this album did quite well for a later release. However, I must admit that this is my least favorite Tool album. Regardless, it is still great, but it does not compare to Lateralus and Aenima. +The most impressive songs on the album to me are Vicarious, Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, and Right in Two... Okay, that's almost all of them. But they are great songs. +What I love about the album is that they did not totally disappoint with their latest album. They have still kept me loving them and praising them as my favorite band. What I don't like is that the album doesn't seem to have as much actual songs in it as the others. Their fillers are just as much a part of their albums as the songs, but I just feel like there could have been more to it. +If I ever lost my copy or had it stolen from me, I would absolutely go out and buy another copy. I love this band and their music that much. As Maynard put it, "There's not enough words to describe what you feel when you hear a song." (I'm paraphrasing) They've been there for me when I was angry, sad, happy, and anything else and they've helped me grow up. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is amazing. When the force comes and really shines but when its distant it can sometimes become vacant in particular some of the mood peices set forth on multiple tracks on the album. After many of the energetic and very forceful songs, the mood enhancing fillers couldn't come at a better time or esle one who listens will not be able to digest it. The guiters are truly cruching and crisp especially on track 2 Jambi and are evident in Vicarious, The Pot, and Rosetta Stoned as well. This album is a lot more in your face than previous Tool releases trying to send us a message with powerful force: that if humans dont open their eyes soon, the world will suffer, hence the last song on the album, Viginti Tres, which has many literal meanings to behold. // 8

Lyrics: Maynard James Keenan has one of the most varying and talented vocals in the music indudtry today. The first sounds of track 5 The Pot come as quite a suprise with Maynard singing brilliantly almost seeming like a different persona. Every song, whether you have a liking for them or not, no one can dismiss Maynard's ability to always deliver passionate and meaningful lyrics. On the title track 10,000 days Maynard expresses his unjust frustration about his mother being paralyzed and perceiving 'blind faith' with the almighty. His lyrics throughout the song build up to an incredible down-sized finish with trying to reach the maker and the faith which finally set her (and him) free. // 10

Overall Impression: The overall balance of this record isn't as clear and consistent with persay Lateralus. The album has obvious stand-outs which some fans will enjoy but the moody instrumentals take over a large part of the album leaving you sometimes skiping tracks. I have listened to the album over forty times and it is well capable of being listened to all the way through with no problem but the mood and stablity vary extremely. It's obvious once hearing the record what the stand-outs are so I wont bother with stating the obvious. But as an overall Tool album I would go as far as saying this was weak only because of the flow and consistency, but the songs when the force comes full-on, they are the best and most profound moments of Tool in history but the sunsequent climaxes sometime seem sparse. Definitely give this album a listen and you will enjoy it. But if you want a truly inspirational album with universes of knowledge and sanctity, choose Lateralus as I feel that is their most profound and important work. // 7

10,000 Days Reviewed by: subliminalblue, on may 25, 2006

Sound: To start, I absolutely love Tool. And I loved the sound of this album, after giving it a chance, which is what you have to do. Initially, you will probably say, as I did, there's too much ambience, the music is ambiguous and doesn't lead anywhere, and there's just not enough "music" present, but when you delve into the tracks, and listen intently, the music exists, and it rocks. Jones and Chancellor play amazing as always, with their stuff ranging from exotic (Lipan Conjuring) to heavy (Jambi) to haunting (Lost Keys). Danny Carey is of course pounding away, offering a great balance to the music. // 9

Lyrics: MJK. That's really all you need to know. The stuff steers away from the spiritual- mind and body direction that was present on Lateralus and observes a more cynical, yet condoning look at the world and society, possibly returning to the roots of Aenima. However, IMO, both parts of Wings, as a single song, might be the best song Tool has ever composed. It's monumental, and the lyrics are some of the best Maybrad has ever penned. The album becomes a bit muddy towards the end, such as Right In Two, which just seems a bit weak at certain points. // 9

Overall Impression: Initially I was disappointed that after waiting five years this is what Tool came out with. But after listening to it several times, all at once, which is what I recommend, it really grew on me. Vicarious lyrically fits well with Jambi, which is why they are probably 1-2, but soundwise seems more appropriate for somewhere in the middle of Lateralus, maybe following Schism or Parabola. It doesn't really fit on 10000 Days, which is probably why it starts the album. As I mentioned before Wings For Marie and 10000 Days (Wings Part 2) are probably collectively the best song Tool has ever done, definitely Maynard's best (Between APC and Tool). The Pot reminds me of something relative to Opiate, a very daring and raw song, that starts with sounds from Maynard that I didn't think he was capable of. Lipan Conjuring is your generic Tool riff-raff, a very tribal and exotic sound. Together Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned are awesome and haunting, with the initial playing the part of a question and the latter playing the part of the answer to the question. RS is unlike anything you have ever heard from Tool. Intention is a bit a passive compared to RS, and brings you down from your high slightly. For some reason, Right In Two, a song that seems portentially to maybe have radio play, doesn't really do it for me. It sounds a lot like Forty-Six & Two to me, but hey, whatever. Finally, Viginti Tres, which is pretty much a concoction of noises and groans, concludes the album in a solemn way, almost putting the listener to sleep. Then again, this is the end of the album, so why stay up. Eleven tracks, but most are 6-7 minutes. This album is not as good, IMO, as AEnima, and maybe not as good as Lateralus, but I wouldn't slide it any further down than that. The form wants to know if this was stolen, would I buy it? Of course I would, it comes with those sweet glasses. // 9

10,000 Days Reviewed by: ZeppelinFan3890, on june 28, 2006

Sound: After a long five year wait, Tool released their album 10, 000 Days, the follow up to 2001's Lateralus. After the huge hit Lateralus, fans had tremendous expectations for the new CD. However, 10,000 Days is a different Tool. Many fans despise the new album, and many love it. 10,000 Days indeed gives a different sound for Tool. Nevertheless, you still know it's them. Adam Jones's guitar work is powerful and sometimes haunting, leading the band perfectly. The best example of this can be found at the beginning of the album in songs "Vicarious" and "Jambi." Danny Carrey's drumming is nothing short of amazing, making him a cadidate for the best drummer around right now. The drums are near perfect throughout the entire album and fit the music perfectly, whether they be powerful or slow. Justin Chancellor has proved he is not an average bassist. His bass work really stands out on this album, especially in "The Pot." Finally, Maynard James Keenan's voice completes the Tool sound. His voice has a dark mystique that gives the music a great tone. Although he shows on "The Pot" that he can reach several different pitches with his voice. Overall, the Tool sound is still there. Four muscians all very talented in their areas, and this has produced a true work of art. // 8

Lyrics: Maynard James Keenan has always been known for deep lyrics, often dark and disturbing. Nevertheless, they always deliver a powerful message, whether it be "Schism" or "Maynard's Dick." On 10,000 Days, the standout songs lyrically are the partner tracks "Wings For Marie (Part 1)" and "10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)." They are written revolving around Keenan's mother, who suffered a stroke and was paralyzed for approximately 27 years before her death, which is about 10,000 days. "Wings For Marie" is more about describing Keenan's mother than anything, up to the last line that declares "now it's time for us to let you go," leading into "10,000 Days," where Keenan truly shines. Using a more metaphorical approach, there is still some describing of his mother, but also talks about the life in paralysis, how "10,000 days in the fire is long enough," and it's time for her to go "home." Overall, Keenan's lyrics are very powerful. They are hard to understand at some points, while at others are perfectly clear. The topics of the lyrics range from tragedy on television to hypocrites to alien abductions. As you can see, the lyrics differ greatly from song to song, but the fact that Keenan is an excellent songwriter cannot be denied. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is hard to compare with Lateralus because of the aforesaid difference. Most Tool fans will probably agree 10,000 Days is not as good as Lateralus, but the album is certainly a great work. Here's a breakdown of each track individually: 01. Vicarious - opens the album with a kickass hard rock tone. Awesome song. 02. Jambi - carries the same tone as "Vicarious," and Adam Jones gets a chance to shine. 03. Wings For Marie (Part 1) - takes the album in a new direction with a mostly calming song and excellent lyrics. 04. 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) - a long epic both slow and fast, soft and heavy, with even better lyrics. 05. The Pot - another heavy song with angry, metaphorical lyrics. Good vocal range and great bass work. 06. Lipan Conjuring - well, it's 70 seconds of tribal music. It's near completely random, but it's the first of two intermission tracks, so to speak. 07. Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann) - a slow piece with a guitar riff repeated over an intriguing conversation between a doctor, nurse, and a nonresponsive patient. This provides some mystery, and also ends the intermission. 08. Rosetta Stoned - a song that can only be described as: cool. Various guitar riffs. Powerful from start to finish. A very long song that delivers a powerful punch. 09. Intension - a mellow song with very interesting lyrics. A little long, but one of those songs that's good to listen to in the dark. Very soothing. 10. Right In Two - the last good song on the album. Another very long song that provides some good heavy moments. A good overall song, but leaves a little to be desired. 11. Vigini Trees - five minutes of breathing effects. A very unique piece and really cool to listen to, but probably not the best way to conclude an album. Overall great album as a whole with some pretty decent individuals. // 8

10,000 Days Reviewed by: Root Beer, on march 23, 2007

Sound: Okay, I'm writing this almost purely because "Str8Savage" ticked me off big time. First off, I don't know how you can say they didn't put as much effort into the album as usual. Heck, it took them 5 years to release it. I, personally think that alone is saying something. Also, have you actually taken the time to try to figure out the bass or guitar or drums in any of the songs? Extremely complex. The sound is constantly changing even in the middle of songs, not too much of course, but just enough so that it makes even a single song feel like a full-fledged story. And comparing it to "Stinkfist"? That's just wrong. Heck, if you want to find a song they created for pure publicity, that's it. (In my humble opinion, one of their worst songs) Not "Vicarious", which brings me to one of my bigger grudges against your review. "Vicarious" was yes, admittedly, a song to help get lots of publicity and get played over and over on the radio, and make a lot of people (including me) say "hell, yes! I've gotta get the new Tool album!", but when you listen to it on the album (with all the other songs), it fits right in perfectly at it's rightful place at the beginning of the album. But according to you, it "has no place on any Tool album what'soever". Shall I go further? I think not. At least when you said "Right In Two" was great, I thought maybe I wouldn't have to submit this, but then you went and said the lyrics sucked. total shit. That song has some of the most emotional, meaningful, and downright awesome lyrics in the entire history of Tool, and it's the main reason I listen to that song. "Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground"? "Where there's one your bound to divide it right in two"? "Give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down"? How are those lame? They're full of meaning, full of emotion, full of Maynard himself. There is nothing wrong with these lyrics. the ones in "Stinkfist" were the pointless ones. "Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear"? What does the title even mean in relation to the lyrics? That's the song he wrote on drugs, if any, not "Rosetta Stoned", one of the most amazing songs on the album, not only for the lyrics (which aren't all bad, all though the shitting the bed choruses weren't the best), but for the sheer complexity of the song as a whole. Hell, this was probably the song that took them a good two years to finish completely. And as far as the "3D experiance" goes, have you ever actually tried it, and the songs by themselves are amazing as well, they're certainly not only playable together, and they're certainly not the result of Tool running out of fresh ideas. Now for "The Pot". it's not a typical Tool song, and, admittedly, at first, I hated it. But once you listen to it a few times, it's plain to see that Maynard certainly shines like a star on this one. From the high-pitched intro to the more-than-slightly lower-pitched bridge and refrain, his incredible voice range is showcased off throughout the song. He hits not one wrong note. It's simply amazing. And the nerve that you say it has "very little drums". Have you never heard of a guy named Danny Carey, who has inspired my drumming in so many ways that I can't possibly list them all off, like, ever? Without a doubt, my favorite of the four members of Tool, his rhythyms being so complex that even I, drummer for 6 years, can hardly even begin to play songs like "Rosetta Stoned". As for "kickass bass lines," have you not noticed all the bass soloing in songs like "The Pot"? Putting wah on bass is not something that's normally done, and he pulls it off great, it fits in perfectly. // 10

Lyrics: As far as the lyrics go, I basically already stated a lot of my feelings on that subject when I was talking about the crazy good lyrics of "Right In Two", but I could go on. I think I'll start with "Vicarious". Some of the best lyrics in town, man. Same goes for "Wings for Marie", "10,000 Days", "The Pot", and even the extremely under-apreciated "Rosetta Stoned." In fact, I think the lyrics off of this one are some of my favorites. But then, "Lateralus" has some great ones as well. If only I knew the deep, deep meanings behind half of them. "10,000 Days" doesn't have bad lyrics, they're just more aggressive is all. And they're certainly better than "AEnima" and before. // 10

Overall Impression: So, has Tool really run out of ideas? No. Have they succeeded once again creating something completely new and different from all the shit out on the radio today? Yes. Does my opinion really matter, or mean that you will feel the same way? No, it does not. It's all for you to decide (my sister has always hated them and probably always will). But my worthless answer to the following question which was asked before in Str8savage's stays the same: "Has finally become normal?" No. Not at all. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 20, 2007

Sound: Even after waiting five years and the band having been around for sixteen years, these guys still got it as far as sound goes. Adam still has his heavy but not too heavy sound on his guitar amp settings and Justin Chancellor I think has the most distinctive tone out in the music industry among bassists. The immediate intro to Vicarious right at the beginning shows how Tool can repeat something over and over and still be able to make the listener wonder what's coming next. Right In Two was an interesting piece because of the reverby guitar sound and eerie overall feel of the song throughout. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Vicarious - good political message about stopping war and us people of the U.S. not doing anything but sit here on our asses writing reviews (which is okay). 02. Jambi - this is an island in the south-eastern pacific around Indonesia and I think this song is just about asking forgiveness from someone. 03. Wings For Marie - this song is about Maynards mom I think. I hope that's right. Judith Marie was someone who was paralyzed for like 17 years but it was about 10000 days hence the album title. 04. 10,000 Days - a longer epilogue to Wings For Marie. 05. The Pot - this song is about someone asking why there was almost as if it were a racial discrimination against stoners. This song has great lyrics. 06. Lipan Conjuring - a short little tribal chant. The Lipan were a group of Native Americans who lived something like 700 years ago in parts of Texas. 07. Lost Keys - this is just a short prologue to Rosetta Stoned about a guy who ended up in a hospital from taking to much dope. 08. Rosetta Stoned - easily the best lyrics on the whole album. How is talking about Krispy Kremes in heavy metal not funny? Easy 10/10. 09. Intension - for some reason, the title is fun to say. There are some techno sounds in this one that are not in anything else Tool has done. Intension is referring to the sum of all attributes in a logic equasion. 10. Right In Two - this tune is written basically from an angel's prospective looking down on and evaluating what the human race really is. 11. Viginty Tres - in Latin it means Twenty Three. Strange way to end an album. Not as good as Lateralus or Aenima. // 10

Overall Impression: I am not at all surprised that this album debuted at number 1 in a load of countries. It sold well over 500,000 copies in it's first week and it is quite easy to see why. Tool is basically the, what I call, caged brain of metal. They represent metal in a different fashion than usual but nobody ever seems to do anything like them at other times in their studios. This is and album anyone should buy if they think they really are a true music fan. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: TJM2482, on january 10, 2008

Sound: Tool's sound has always been a progressive/alt. rock/metal sound. Heavy downtuned chords by Adam Jones, running basslines by Justin Chancellor, the insane drumming of Danny Carey, and of course, the vocals of Maynard. There isn't too much of a story behind the album, but there are lyrical themes (which I'll explain later). This album goes is many directions. You get the usual hard-hitting aggressive tracks you would come to expect, stuff like "Vicarious" and "Jambi". You also get some more softer songs, such as "Wings for Marie" and Part 2, "10,000 Days", both an ode to his late mother. Adam Jones makes use of a talk box on the album, specifically in the solo for the song "Jambi", which is somewhat strange for Adam Jones, since he tends to stay away from both effects as well as solos. This album is Tool's most polished sounding record to date, as older efforts were good, but didn't sound like an "album", more like demo-quality mixing. // 10

Lyrics: The title tracks (10,000 Days, which is part 2 of Wings for Marie0 are written about Maynard's late mother, who suffered a stroke that left her partially paralyzed and wheelchair-bound. The length of time between the paralysis and her death was 27 years, or approximately 10,000 days. The themes behind songs on this album range from his mother, hypocrites, and LSD. I really love Maynard's voice on this record, he has a really aggressive, passionate sound to his voice, which really deliver an amotional experience. Maynard is one of the best. // 10

Overall Impression: I personally think this is their best, but alas it's the album that really got me into Tool. The most impressive songs would probably be the first tow tracks "Vicarious" and "Jambi", as well as "Rosetta Stoned". I love the heavy style of some of the tracks, and the settled-down emotional, spaced out ones such as the title tracks(s). I really can't hate on this album. If completely lost from my library, I would probably go out and buy not only one copy, but another one for backup. Amazing album, one of the best in recent years. // 10

10,000 Days Reviewed by: jibran, on may 23, 2008

Sound: Tool's latest effort is not substantial progression from lateralus but a standstill in the prog giants' efforts. A good standstill. Guitarist Adam Jones' intense palm-mute riffing intertwines with bassist Justin Chancellor's unique bass-lines. But overall they play second fiddle to Danny Carey's monstrous beats which bash, crash and paradiddle their way through to climax. Jone's solos have been never been so noticeable, with the use arabic modes and the welcome use of a talkbox. Basslines are even-more-so important. Typically in 'the pot' chancellor plays an exotic groove, that seems to befuddle the listener. All the instruments work together to implement a sludgy sound reminiscent of EyehateGod and Mastodon, which complement Maynard James Keenan's various howls and whispers. But is not perfect, some tracks drag out far too long and takes serious patience to handle. The epic 17 minute 'Wings for Marie' suite is typical tool, but guest Lustmord seems to punctuate the song with his ambience rather than tool themselves. And the Tool tradition of fillers is even more agitating as there is roughly only eight songs with the rest being filler. // 9

Lyrics: Keenan's lyrics are as powerful as ever, with lines like 'Vicariously I live while the whole world dies', they range from poignant and sombre to humourous and amusing on "Rosetta Stoned', which is a real lyrical gem that should be experienced first hand. The execution of the lyrics are down masterfully too, leaving Keenan still lazing on his throne of one of the best Metal vocalists. Keenan's tenor is contorted many times to press his point. He manages an 'Adam Levine' falsetto on 'The Pot' and growling and roaring on some tracks. Yet he still has the power to be dangerously emotional and sad; the delivery easily cnveying sadness and longing. The only true downfall is that Keenan's vocal's are too low in the mix, with keenan; s voice being the main proponent of Tool, it is dissapointing to see. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to the overwhelming Lateralus, 10, 000 days feels little overwrought and not as groundbreaking but it still manages to hold it's own in the metal world. Tool is on the forefront of prog and we best not forget it. // 8

More Tool reviews rating latest review
+ Lateralus 9.8 02/18/2014