Aenima Review

9.6
 9.7
 9.4
Aenima Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on august 16, 2007

Sound: Aenima is tool at their heaviest, and with amazing production. Don't listen to this expecting typical heavy metal, the vocals are amazing, but not very heavy, and you won't find any crazy shred solos. Tool's an alternative/progressive metal band, and have a heavy, almost industrial sound to their music. And Maynard has a very unique voice, one that can't be described, you have to hear it to get it. At first I didn't like tool, like lots of other people, it took time to grow on me, but once it did, I can't stop listening. Truly an amazing sound. They also have some of the best musicians of all time, I especially love Justin on bass, perhaps the most underrated bassist of all time as far as I'm concerned. // 10

Lyrics: Maynard would have to be one of my top five favorite lyrics writers of all time. Tool has some of the most deep, amazing lyrics you will ever hear. They most always have a deeper meaning, and in most cases I'll probably never know quite what Maynard is talking about. The lyrical highlight is third eye. I won't take up a ton of space with it, but if you're interested, google the lyrics for third eye and you can see just how amazing they are. A definate ten lyrically. // 10

Overall Impression: I'll go through it song by song: 01. Stinkfist - they had to change the name of this song and some of the lyrics for mtv since the lyrics are about anal fisting but I think the song has a different meaning, I think it's about how we keep on "digging", in other words wanting more, and we'll go to extremes to get it. One of the albums best songs and the first single, this is one of tools most recognizable songs, and it really is amazing. 02. Eulogy - another one of the best songs on the album, probably in my top three. This song has great music and great progression. I love the weirdly distorted guitar part in the intro, and how the vocals later match it with "you claimed all this time that you would die for me, why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy?" This song's about standing up to powerful and opressive figures, at least that's what I think. 03. H. - the band couldn't decide if they wanted the song to be called half empty or half full, so they decided to just call it "H" and this is a slower, darker song. It has very haunting music, and is about being in some kind of realtionship that's killing the character in the lyrics. Another of the more recognized songs. 04. Useful Idiot - a useless song, just forty seconds of basically nothing. Nothing special here. 05. Forty Six And Two - a great bassline in this song. Another slower one, and a really great song. This song also has great progression to it, and I especially love the "My Shadow" part. I'm not sure exactly what this song's about, but one of my friends told me it was about like genetic testing, which makes sense with the title. 06. Message To Harry Manback - some people complain about this song, but I love it. It's just a two minute interlude thing, but it has a really nice piano line that's hard for me to describe, but I picture a foreign guy on a beach making a cell phone call threatening an American, and I think it's pretty funny. 07. Hooker With A Penis - probably the most straightforward metal song on the album, another pretty funny song, a pretty vulgar put down song. I have to say, I don't like this song as much as I did at first, but it is a good song. Great to blast out loud. 08. Intermission - just a one minute long circus style instrumental, with a keyboard sound just doing a jolly little thing. I like it, it's just a nice jolly song. 09. Jimmy - this song is about the death of Maynard's mother from cancer when he was eleven, and another one of my favorite's on the album. This song has the most chilling music on the album, the vocals and the instruments are just downright creepy an album highlight. 10. Die Eier Von Satan - this is a two minute industrial song, and the title means "the balls of satan" the lyrics are in German, and are a cookie recipe. I think it's just making fun of Nazi's, like even if they're saying as something as simple as a cookie recipe, it sounds evil. 11. Pushit - another one of the more recognized songs on the album, but I'm not sure exactly what it's about. It's still one of my favorites though, I love the music and the lyrics in it. It's a definate highlight, and is also pretty dark. Also contains a great slower version on the live album "Salival" 12. Cesaro Summability - a lot of people complain about this song, and I can see why. It's just a minute and a half of noise and a baby crying. Maybe there's some reason the band put it in, but I don't see it. Then again, I'm not nearly as deep as the four geniuses in tool. 13. Aenima - a rebellious hard rock song, this song has good music, and I love the chorus: "Freaks here in this hopeless f***ing whole we call L.A, the only way to fix it is to flush it all away" Just a great song. 14. (-) Ions - a four minute instrumental, just like static sounds and some thunder like sounds, I have no problem with it. Nothing too special, but fun to listen to 15. Third Eye - tool's best song as far as I'm concerned, this song never ceases to amaze me. It's fourteen minutes long, but never gets old. This song is about a tie with Jimmy as far as chilling goes, with the best lyrics tool has ever had and music to match it. It starts out with an intro from Bill Hicks, which is both funny and true, and goes into "dreaming of that face again" I'm not sure if this song is about drugs, or more of a spiritual thing. And the "prying open my third eye" part could either be related to drugs or a kind of spiritual thing, either way the lyrics and music of this song will send chills down your spine. It took this song a few listens to grow on me, but it's truly amazing. This album was really a new door for me, tied with Lateralus as Tool's best album, any metal fan or even just a rock fan should love this album. It may take time to grow, but well worth it. Really the only reason I gave it overall a nine is because of some of the interlude songs. // 1

Aenima Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2005

Sound: When I first heard Tool I already knew they had a reputation, and I know I've heard and remembered bits and pieces of certain singles, so I eventually got myself Lateralus. I liked it's challenging textures and detailed arrangements, but it made me curious as to just who Tool are. Sometime later I bought Aenima, and Tool struck me as murky, menacing creature that won't let you in unless you let yourself in. Distorted guitars buzz and fade in a aching way, drums roll through complex patterns (also notable on Lateralus), and Maynard's somewhat demented presence fills the void of an otherwise unhumane territory. This was no pop-friendly record, but it seemed to fulfill Tool's goal. // 10

Lyrics: The music in itself could leave your head spinning, but Maynard's lyrics only add to the complexity. He doesn't use your average metaphors, he doesn't use your average verse structures, he doesn't even give you a hint as to what's going on in the song. It's all interpretation. Here's a quick review of each song in terms of my interpretation: 01. Stinkfist - supposedly a song about moshing, this track is a great opener for the album. Rock out - 9/10. 02. Eulogy - as far as I can tell, this song is about standing up to fake rulers, and thinking for yourself. Something Maynard seems to adress in most of his songs - 9/10. 03. H. - the title of this song was supposed to be Half Empty or Half Full. Since it could be both, it was simply called H. I'm sure it has some relation to Maynard's feelings for his son. Great song - 10/10. 04. Useful Idiot - I was surprised when I heard this song had to do with Redneck hicks that supported Bush (you will either like it or find it as a waste of time, sometimes both). 05. Forty-Six & 2 - 'Steppin through my shadow' yeah. Another track that you may find the lyrics are bland or too covered in mystique. Hate or like it's still a great bassline - 9/10. 06. Message To Harry Manback - I think this track was made just to mess with people. I find it as a total waste of time - 3/10. 07. Hooker With A Penis - this basically sounds like Maynard going insane. It's raunchy and unstable and seems to cry out metal - 7/10. 08. Intermission - on the borderline of stupid and funny, yet it seems to fit perfectly after HWAP. Gives Maynard time to calm down - 6/10. 09. Jimmy - very creepy, very complex, there's no way out of the mystique this song drags you into. A song you will either love or you'll hate - 9/10. 10. The Balls Of Satan - what a weird track. Very unsettling, yet somewhat goofy and tells you these guys can be pretty nerdy when it comes to humor - 8/10. 11. Push - a great track for those who want to see the 'in-depth' side of Tool. I can't decipher the lyrics too well but they are very emotional. A masterpiece you will either love or you'll totally hate - 10/10. 12. Cesaro Summability - I hate this track. I can't stand hearing the baby scream in the beginning, way too disturbing - 2/10. 13. Aenima - not the best lyrical-wise, but it's an anthem to the angst-ridden. I like the way the track flows, it makes it one of the best-composed pieces on the album - 9/10. 14. Ions - if you like the aspiring artist of Tool you can appreciate this track, even if it sounds like some guy flickering a light-bulb and another fooling around with aluminum sheets. That's Tool for ya - 8/10. 15. Third Eye - this track may arguably be Tool's greatest accomplishment. Spanning nearly forteen minutes in length, Tool cast a gazing eye over the listener and draw them into a complex world of buzzing guitars and synthesizers, with that line creeping around your head 'I opened my eye and there we were. Prying open my third eye.' There is no easy way out of this song, it just keeps going and haunts you with it's murky mystique. If you want to know the power of Tool, observe this song as closely as you can and let it open your eye. At least the eye that can see Tool's message - 10/10. I noticed there are many things hidden in these songs. You may listen to a song about 20 times and still notice something. Until the real Maynard tells you (I doubt he will, it's too much fun messing with peoples' heads), you won't really find any true meaning to a song. Just interpretation. And of coarse, as always Maynard's voice is great. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, if you want to know what Tool's all about, this is the album to be looking for. The only flaws are some of the prodution, which is not the band's fault. I think this is an essential addition to any Tool/heavy metal fan's CD rack. My favorites are hard to say, each song is unique. If I had to put my money on it I'd say H., Forty-Six & 2, Aenima, and Third Eye because they seem to defy the record. If this were stolen I'd chase dat wigga down and beat da ugly out of his face. If this were lost, I'd chase a wigga down and beat him for no apparent reason. Then I'd be occupied by something else. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: ibanez6soad, on october 02, 2003

Sound: Tool has created their own original and inviting sound that makes you want to hear them again and again. With complicated drumlines not just any drummer can pull off, bass lines that do more than follow the guitar, which is rare in rock/metal music, and amazing electric guitar riffs and soounds. Each member of Tool invents their instrument sound and all of them blend together beautifully. // 10

Lyrics: Anyone that listens to Tool knows that Maynard James Keenan is one of the most impressive songwriters of all time. He shows you this with his political lyrics in "Aenema" that say what is on his mind. Other amazing lyrics can be found on "Stinkfist" and "Eulogy". JMK illustrates his lyrics for you but makes you dig deep into his words. The man is a genius, enough said. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was made in 1996, and after hearing it I would have never have guessed it. Tool were ahead of their time. No one else has Tool's unique sound. Though the album is truly a work of art, if you don't try hard enough to focus on the music, you could easily get bored. Numerous songs on this album are amazing, but like any album, it has flaws. This is one of the best CD's you could buy, and it is definately worth your money. // 8

Aenima Reviewed by: jamesyboyy, on december 22, 2003

Sound: It's easy to get lost in this album. There is so much to think about when you listen to Aenima, Maynard's amazing voice, Adam's trippy and complex guitar patterns, Justin's guitar-like bass lines and Danny's percussion laiden irregular drum beats. Tool prove that it takes an entire band to make great music (when compared to MJK's other hit or miss band A perfect circle) Each song is an epic which takes you through so many moods an emotions and feels like an album in itself. The only bad thing I can find about the sound is the production, no fault of the band themselves but some of the sounds aren't thick or loud enough which tends to spoil the climaxes in the music. A prime example of this is the drums in "Jimmy". // 8

Lyrics: Tool are blessed with the most talented singer and of one the best lyricists in the world. Maynard James Keenan has such a powerful, emotional and genuine voice that gives Tools music and extra dimention. His versatility is astounding, indistinguishable whispers, soaring melodious singing, agressive and angry growls and his amazing screams give vocals on this album such a thick texture. His lyrics are so open to interpritaion which makes the Tool experience individual to each listener. Many varied topics presented using beautiful words and metaphors that challenge you. There isn't a wasted word on the whole album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums I own, it's intelligent, complex, heavy, soft and simply amazing. The band have a rare chemistry that make them so individual, every minute of each song has been thought through and perfected over time. A true peice of musical art. So much diversity is shown here; you'll have an epic like "Eulogy" then an aggressive hard rock/metal song like "Hooker with a penis", over to the hugely emotional and brooding "Pushit" and end with the mind bending "Third eye". Even if you are the slightest bit curious about Tool, buy this album. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: Overseer, on february 19, 2005

Sound: The sound of Aenima is hard to describe any other way than epic. I was first introduced to Tool in 1999. I immediately gravitated towards their newest offering, Aenima. Put simply, their sound was like nothing I had heard before. The transition they make between loud and soft is unprecedented. Adam Jones is not a technical guitar player but manages to keep his playing very complex all the same. Its hard to describe. Look up the tabs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were also something I was not used to. They had depth. They didn't rhyme. They were not catchy nor were they easy to make out at times. Yet when you search for the lyrics, and you find them, you read them and they could have so many possible meanings. Not so with most artists I can think of. And what an artist Maynard is. Truly the best frontman in music ever - all whilst hardly spending any time in the front. // 10

Overall Impression: In my humble opinion, this album and Lateralus are equal in their dominion of my favorite recordings. 46 And 2, Eulogy, Hooker With A Penis, Pushit, Aenima and Third Eye stand slightly above the others in most people's opinions, but I strongly feel that there are no weak spots and no filler in this record. I love complexity and theory and these four men obviously share my passion. I have lost a couple of their albums and scratched several, and have continued buying new ones to replace them. I recommend this CD to everyone and I believe that it is the best Tool album to start with. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: dieiervonstn, on march 18, 2005

Sound: This is the first Tool CD I heard. When I heard the song "Stinkfist" I was hooked. The bass of the song is awesome, the guitar riffs are great, the middle section rocks, and Maynard's vocals are, as usual, amazing. Also, the actual cover of the CD is 'animated'. If you move the CD up and down, the cover moves. There are 2 other pictures in the CD book that do this also. The actual disc shows a guy in a very awkward position. If you have the CD, you know! Anyway, this is the best Tool CD, and you should pick it up. // 10

Lyrics: Maynard is my favorite singer (see my other Tool reviews). His vocals are the best on this record above the other Tool records, not to put the other ones down. "Eulogy" is the best song vocally. Hell, it's the best song on the CD musically too. But his vocals are what hooked me to the CD. They seem to be flowing from the music rather than singing over them. And his lyrics are the best lyrics in the '90s for sure, if not all time. "Hooker With A Penis" is the angriest song on the CD, and he screams like there's not tomorrow. Maynard is god. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD rules. My favorite songs are "Stinkfist," "Eulogy," "46&2," "Hooker With A Penis," "Jimmy" and "Third Eye." But the whole CD kicks ass. "Third Eye" starts out with a sample of comedian Bill Hicks saying "if you don't think drugs have done anything good, go home tonight and burn all your tapes, cds, and records... cuz all those bands that made that great music to enhance your lives over the years... really f--kin' high on drugs!" Then it goes into the 13+ minute masterpiece. The music, vocals, interludes, and overall packaging of the CD make it a must have for music fans. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: Lukeisonfire, on april 22, 2006

Sound: Right after breaking into the scene Tool had made their best acomplish to date, Aenema. This album is a classic epic in every portian making it like a modern Dark side of moon. Very proggressive and hard to get into. Maynard James Keenans voice is often chilling and soft then turn into a brultal howl of angst. his voice is often like an instrument its self. but dont take them as a metalcore band or anything like that. His voice is uncomparable becuase no one can reach high notes and low notes like that. Adam Jones is definitly a distinct tone. Very industrial edgy with ear spiltting powerchords. For one example on stinkfist: The intro is composed of the freakist harmonics that only someone like him can master. He is a very nice tremoler playing very fast with flanger and phaser effects going off. Now Danny Carey is definitly the best drummer ever. This is not over exagerating either. His drums are very complicating and fast. He can often bang his drums very hard making a very loud noise that you cant hear out of most drummers. His best work is in the bridge of fourty six and two were hes using his trademark tabla technique then goes into the fastest drum solo I've heard. The bass is excellent espiacialy in fourty six and two his most famous bass line. Great bassist who definitly took over Paul postition well. Together they work as one with a different role and this something bands should take note on insted of making total shit. // 10

Lyrics: Maynard is definitly the best lyricist in modern rock. One of the bests songs on the album, Eulogy, talks about remembering the dead and standing up against religion. Eulogy isn't saying that jesus was a coward so on so forth, it's basicly saying maytars and other people shouldn't rely on religion on their problems and solutions, not to follow what someone says, find a way on your own to solve your problem. On the song Aenema, they basicly take a quote from famous comedian bill hicks. The best part of this album is the lyrics aren't what people say they are, it's to make up a meaning for yourself. It relates to everybody and everybody can have their own opinion on it. People may say songs like Stinkfist or Hooker With A Penis may be what the title suggests but no. It's just a clever metaphor or meaning behind a meaning completly different from the song title. Amazing lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album changed my persuana and look at music. This album deals with spirituality and other subjects that bands are to scared to face or deal with. They are a very smart band and many people follow the words of maynard and trie to uncover all the songs. Trust me when I say this, don't go into the music store and say O I'm going to love this album. Becuase if you have never heard tool before its going to be incredibly hard to get sucked into it. But if you listen to a lot you'll get sucked into it like I did. I would definitly get Undertow or Opiate first before you take this badass on a ride. It's extremely complicated but once you have accomplished it, you can listen to basicly anything prog or long. 01. Stinkfist - amazing song that was very controversial becuase mtv are idiots. It's the easiest song to get into on the album and shows one of the best performances by Keenan to date with his whispering weird verse. It just got a little old after I listened to it a 1000 times. 02. Eulogy- jaw dropping performance. Starts off with a clicking sound and a weird guitar riff that freaks me out. Maynards covers many religon issues in this song and really tells you to stand up against religion becuase you have to rely on yourself to solve your problems. Great solo too. 03. H. - great disorted intro with maynard singing very high pitched. Great chourus and guitar. 04. Useless Idiot - a useless song. Just scratching on an old record. 05. Fourty Six And Two - greatest performance by Tool in my opinion. Starts off with justin kicking in with a baddass riff. Then when Maynard comes in, his voice is singing to angels its so beautiful. Highlights, Danny Carey beating the shit out of his drums in the bridge. 06. Message To Harry Manback - a really funny phonecall about some european guy swearing and making death threats to some guy. Funny! 07. Hooker With A Penis - great song that starts off with a increasingly loud guitar. Then maynard sings about a guy critizing them becuase he thinks their selling out for the money. Amazing solo and drums. 08. Intermission - another filler song but is a basic begining to Jimmy but on a circus organ. Kinda funny and freaky at the same time. 09. Jimmy - not their greatest song and definitly one you will forget but maynard freaks the shit out of me in this song. Talking about him as a boy and then gos into the home part. Great performance by Maynard. 10. Dier Evon Satan - a song in german with really good industrial guitar riff feedback going on. About making cookies with eggs. Wierd sounds like a nazi salut for some weird reason. 11. Aenema - he second single off of this album starts off with a kickass riff, then ascends to a nice verse, then to a chorus that literally attacks you! Very vicious but the most enjoable part is the bridge that is 4 minutes long! At one part dannys drums are beating extremely fast. Then Adams soaring guitar solo that feels like your flying. And ofcourse maynards learn to swim part and critizing every thing about L.A. amazing. 12. Pushit - a very long song about relationship. Shows some of the best lyrics I've heard "who am I to make a judgement or strike you down." Great ascending chourus and a very great song with multiple pieces to it. 13. Oooo Dont Let Me Get To It Cesaro Summablity - maybe the worst song ever. Just a baby howling and crying AHHH makes me pissed off. 14. (-)Ions - a really cool filler. It's basicly a wind storm with wind and electricity, its a really cool song to listen to. 15. Third Eye - a freakin 14 minute long song! Very long and starts off with a funny sketch from bill hicks. Then thumping drums and then maynard blows you away like usual. Great long solo. Reminds me of Pink Floyds time. Amazing finsh to an amazing album. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: PinkFloydFan_12, on april 14, 2007

Sound: Aenima is probably Tool's best album.Deep, profound, rebellious. With songs like Jimmy (yes it is spelled lower-case), Fourty-Six & 2, Eulogy, Aenema. These songs are intense. The progressiveness of these songs is probably one of their best achievements, With unusual time signatures, some of the best drumming I've ever heard, and some of the most ingenius guitar riffs ever concieved! Adam Jones delivers the goods in this album. Danny could probably run a marathon too. His drumming will blow you away.Justin Chancellor's bass lines are what make these unusual time signatures work.He may not get credit but he is one of the best bassist around. The vocals are also beautifuly made and they flow with the instrumentals perfectly. It is the icing on this sweet sweet cake! // 10

Lyrics: Maynard is a genius among songwriters, and it has shown in this album. Dark, depressing, thought provoking, will leave you thinking of the actual meaning to the song for hours. With Tool's philosophy of not telling what they're songs mean. It leaves all kinds of room for interpretation of their music. I'm not going to tell you any of my interpretations because then you wont get as much out of it as you can. With most songs over the 5 or 6 minute mark do not buy this album if you don't have an appreciation for this music. But hardcore fans will get what they expect. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to any other other artists to me.I could listen to these guys for hours on end. These guys got me into music and I'll never be more grateful to a band. Some of the most impressive songs are: Stinkfist, probably one of there better known ones. Eulogy, because it's awesome lyrics and instrumentals. Jimmy because the guitar is probably the best on this song not because of awesome solos but because of the sound he makes that may sound almost simple but is complex at the same time. If I ever had this album stolen. I would hunt that little freak down and shoot him, revive him and shoot him again. That's how much I love this album. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 12, 2007

Sound: Tool's sound always changes from album to album and I think here is where Tool were unconsciously preparing their sound for Lateralus which is where it peaked. The bass and low guitar sounds in Aenema are astounding and when the blistering chorus comes in, it is just a big huge sonic blast. Danny Carey once again displays his amazing skins skills and a new addition in Justin Chancellor further illuminates the progression an influence of Tool's music. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics are obviously not for everyone. Aenema has the most creative and probablyt the best lyrics out of any song by anyone I have evr heard. Hooker With a Penis adds some huumor to the album even though the song is just about calling someone out. Stinkfist even may not be for everyone but who cares. If it's good music then it's good and there is no taking people's opinions and changing them. Maynard does a splendid job on all of the tunes on this alb. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally I think Lateralus was better but Aenima is very very close behind in that race. I am surprised it has only gone 3X platinum because this CD is amazing. I would say it is a definate rock essential and is probably one of the most influential albums on the market. I said the same thing about Lateralus, if I could, I would make the whole world listen to this record because it is so damn good! // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: ~toolbabe~, on january 05, 2008

Sound: The impression of Tool's sound and the music itself is amazing! For example: the song Ions(-) shows you a totally different way that doesnt't make Tool like the other bands out there and that's what I like about them! They also use a baby crying before and song. I really think that it's way different than other bands and that's why I like their sounds that they use. // 10

Lyrics: Tool's lyrics are different and I like every one of their songs on this Album but, there's one song that I what to pay close attention to is Eulogy because everyone tells you what they think it means but, their wrong on what they think here are the lyrics for Eulogy: "He had a lot to say. He had a lot of nothing to say. We'll miss him. So long. We wish you well. You told us how you weren't afraid to die. Well then, so long. Don't cry. Or feel too down. Not all martyrs see divinity. But at least you tried. Standing above the crowd he had a voice that was strong and loud. We'll miss him. Ranting and pointing his finger at everything but his heart. We'll miss him. No way to recall what it was that you had said to me, Like I care at all. So loud. You sure could yell. You took a stand on every little thing and so loud. Standing above the crowd, he had a voice so strong and loud and I swallowed his faade because I'm so eager to identify with someone above the ground, someone who seemed to feel the same, someone prepared to lead the way, with someone who would die for me. Will you? Will you now? Would you die for me? Don't you f--kin' lie. Don't you step out of line. Don't you f--kin lie. You've claimed all this time that you would die for me. Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy? You had a lot to say. You had a lot of nothing to say. Come down. Get off your f--kin cross. We need the f--kin space to nail the next fool martyr. To ascend you must die. You must be crucified for your sins and your lies. Goodbye." This song is really about Jesus dyin on the cross and after you read the lyric to this song you can clearly see that! // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to other ones. I really like this album. I like all the songs on this album but, I really like Eulogy because if you just listen you know exactly was he's trying to tell you in this song. If it got stolen/lost, I would totally buy it again! // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 03, 2008

Sound: Tool creates a sound which is original and they have a tendency to paint pictures in the mind of the listener. Unlike their first two works Opiate and Undertow, Tool explores the concepts and artistic visions of progressive rock and combines it with that of heavy metal. Adam Jones makes a name for himself with his ludicrous yet tranquil guitar effects and his minimalistic arpeggio type riffs. Danny Carey, the only thought that comes to mind is holy f--k! The man has surpassed what everyone thought of as a great drummer and even challenges the skill of John Bonham. Justin's bass riffs compliment Adams guitar lines so well that you may think at times that you're hearing a second guitar. There is no question that he carries his own style and is the perfect person for the job. Maynard is a strong and sincere vocalist and he really is the mood setter for the entire album. This is quite evident with the tracks Pushit, Aenima, H., and Jimmy. The album is somewhat of a concept album so if you are an internet download fien, then you're missing out on half the buzz. The CD jacket in itself is a work of genius as well as the music itself. Tool really made an impact on my life and this album is my personal favorite. Whether you're a musician or just a fan of great music, this album has something for everybody. // 10

Lyrics: For someone who isn't very familiar with Tool, Maynard may come off as a little strange which he is in every aspect but that is the reason why he is so beautiful. On a scale from 1 to 10 on singer skill I give him a perfect 10. The lyrics are very personal and introspective and they kinda hook you in and make you want to look deep into the band and their history. Tool doesn't print their lyrics in their CD jackets so you'll have to look them up online. Maynards voice is like an extra instrument and fits perfectly with the band. The song "Stinkfist" has very confusing lyrics that hint at addiction but if you read in closely then a different picture comes to mind. Eulogy is just that, a eulogy. Danny Carey has said that it is about L. Ron Hubbard but I think it is comparing L. Ron Hubbard to Jesus and the concept of being a martyr. Pushit is my favorite track and is about an abusive relationship. The instrumentation in that track is absolutley amazing and gives me chills every time I listen to it. The title track is a song that bears a relationship to a skit by Bill Hicks' Arizona Bay talking about armageddon and LA falling into the Pacific Ocean. The bottom line is that the lyrics aren't for the faint of heart but they are a true form of expression and creativity at it's best. // 10

Overall Impression: Aenima can't be compared to any album in existence today. Their sound is far to unique and far to diverse to compared to anything of todays standards. Copycat bands can try and try and try but they will never come close. The most impressive songs on the album are Pushit, Third Eye, H., and Eulogy. All of which bear a kind of Godly quality and are nothing short of brilliant. The only problem I have with this album are the unneccesary tracks like (-)ions and Cesaro Summability. If you listen to the album from beginning to end in one session then it goes well but by themselves they just seem pointless. Everything else is flawless. If it were stolen I would buy it again for sure, it is a piece of the soundtrack to my life! // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: DorkaDorka, on june 06, 2008

Sound: The sound too this album is quite unique. It has a kind of Alternative Rock foundation too it while adding that inhuman perfection to such impossible songs. The Complication of the sound is that it doesn't sound so complicated. It's very odd, but one of the most interesting things I've ever heard in my life. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics all have multiple meanings attached to them. The lyrics seem to have been painstakingly put together as to keep the message free of the many cliche's the music industry seems to force into their songs. There are few lyrics that compliment the music so well. Though, they aren't for everyone's taste. // 10

Overall Impression: No one does artsy without being overbearing like Tool. I've never been more influenced by a band than this one. This is the best album of theirs out so far, which is saying a lot when listening to their other albums, and it's saying a lot coming from a huge Metal Head such as myself, especially since this is their softest sound-wise album, but harshest lyric-wise album. There you have it. Any Tool fan should be pleased with this album.and even attract new fans. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: FlapJack85, on august 11, 2008

Sound: This is by far my favorate Tool album! I like Lateralus, but this Aenima tops Lateralus in my opinion. The sound is heavy but smooth at the same time, you can really tell that these guys work hard to get the sound they want. Here is a list of the songs, and my opinion of all of them: 01. Stinkfist - this is one of my favs. I love the chorus! It's really not about fisting but about wanting more. Maynerd just puts it into a very crude metophor. It's a very good song. 02. Eulogy - another great one! It's kind of long but If it was missing any part, it wouldn't be as good. The intro is kind of annoying though. My favorate part is when it goes, "would you die for me? don't you f--king lie!" This is one of the better Tool songs, but all Tool songs are good! 03. H. - this album just keeps getting better! I love the guitar and bass part in the beginning after the destorted intro. Maynerd sing very high. I like how he uses a snake as a metophor for what seems like a drug, probably heroin. It's missing something though. 04. Useful Idiot - this is just a noise. But a break from H. to 46&2. 05. 46&2 - an spectacular bass line! No really. It shows how talented Justin really is. A great song, but I can't figure out what it means? 06. Message To Harrymanback - I do like the piano and beach sounds like the seagulls and waves. But the guy talking kind of ruines it though. 07. Hooker With A Penis - the story is clear, someone didn't like Tool and went up to Mayned and said that they were in it just for the money. So Maynerd gave him this response. It's actually a really good song! 08. Intermission - this is a really catchy tune. It's Jimmy but circus style! 09. Jimmy - this song is okay. It's like a short 10,000 Days. I like the chorus, "Eleven and she was gone." It's not the best though. 10. Die Eir Von Satan - yeah, Nazis suck! Who knew cookie recipies could be so evil? Very funny. 11. Pushit - this is a very long song. But very good! I like the beginning how Maynerd is all robotic sounding. It's another one of my favs. 12. Cesaro Summability - this is a very dissturbing track. Scary but I kind of like it. I know that sound a little evil but it's kind of cool? 13. Aenima - I agree with this song. Hollywood sucks. Mabey I'm just wierd but that would be like the last place in the world I would want to go. Great song. Oh and the whole end of the world thing is another metophor. 14. (-)Ions - most of the time I hate the noise tracks that Tool does but, This is a very nice one It just sounds like a rain storm. Very peaceful. 15. Third Eye - this is not my favorate track but is the best Tool song. that's not opinion that's fact. If it was opinion I'd say it's just okay. I is a very good song though. I agree with the guy who says it's about a drugy father who beats his kids so the mother takes them away. Later one of the kids see's the the father and is scared to do it but helps him out. I think it has something to do with the relationship beetween Maynerd and his father. A good song but again not the best. // 10

Lyrics: It's Maynerd and he'll tell you what's on his mind. He has an great singing voice no matter what. From Fisting to Cookie recepies, when you have Maynard writting lyrics for you, You'll have song about all kinds of things. Some are very deep like Jimmy and others are funny like The Ball Of Satan. They mean different things to different people so don't think your entierly wrong if you think Pushit is about Evil toenails or whatever. // 10

Overall Impression: It's the best in my opinion. The best songs are Stinkfist, Eulogy, H., 46&2, Hooker with a penis, Intermission, Jimmy, Pushit, Aenima, (-)Ions, and Third Eye. Really nothing bad about it. If your a Tool fan and do not have this album, get it! If I lost it I'd find it. If it was stolen I'd cry then buy another one. Buy this album, it will make your day. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: patbuck2, on august 16, 2010

Sound: Tool's sound and the music on Aenima are just wonderful. Aenima has some of their best music on it. My impression is that I am, well, impressed. Adam's guitar tone sounds top notch and Justin's is great as well. The band sounds so tight on this album, in my opinion. This is their first release with Justin and they did one hell of a job with it. Interestingly enough, several of the songs on Aenima were already written when Paul was in the band and he contributed to the writing of some of them. The musical styling of this album is an in between stage from the more metal-orientated sound of Opiate and Undertow and the more classic prog rock-influenced sound of Lateralus and 10, 000 Days. As far as innovations, or at least some interesting parts of the music, this album has a lot of filler in it and some of it is actually quite interesting and fun to listen to, leading into the next song quite well. Adam really established his signature flanger and delay tone with this album because he used both effects heavily on it. Another interesting thing about the album that is worth sharing is that David Bottrill, the producer of this album, had previously produced albums with Robert Fripp and King Crimson and later went on to produce albums with many other progressive rock bands. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics on this album is that this album has some of my favorite lyrics from Maynard. A lot of the songs deal with religion and morality, which I really like. They seem to be posing a lot of questions to the listener to consider. The lyrics compliment the music quite well, just like pretty much all of Tool's music. Maynard's vocals are like another instrument in the band. Maynard's singing skills definitely improved on this album as opposed to Undertow. He did more of the "quiet", soft stuff, but still dealing out the "loud" stuff as well, which is sort of a signature sound of his. // 10

Overall Impression: It's hard to compare this album to others. Like I said before, it's like a transition from Undertow to Lateralus and I'm not sure which one it is closer to. It has elements of both. So, I guess I compare it to those two. It still has some of that heaviness from Undertow and also definitely has the progressive experimentation of Lateralus. +The most impressive songs on the album are Eulogy, H., Pushit, and Third Eye in my opinion. Those are the longer, more progressive songs and they are just so great. They have great instrumentation and the lyrics are fantastic. I love the tones of Adam and Justin on this album a lot. I also just love the instrumentation over all and the nod to Bill Hicks throughout. I also really like the religious matters of the lyrics. That interested me when I was first listening to it. There isn't much I don't like about the album. After a few listens, the filler gets a little old and I usually skip it now to get to the next song. Other than that, it's all pretty fantastic. This is my 2nd favorite Tool album, behind Lateralus. It my copy of the album were ever stolen or lost, I would definitely go purchase it again because I love the band that much. I am happy to spend my money on their music, especially this great album. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: dr-g0nz0, on july 14, 2011

Sound: After their sucessful 1993 debut album, "Undertow" the band progress to new and epic sounds. After removing D'Amour from the bass guitar, for artist reason -allegedly - they brought in new, british, bassist, Justin Chancellor to join the party. Now I have to say, I love "Undertow", it's a great album, but I don't think the band would have got anywhere near as good as they have today if it wasn't for switching bassist's. And the atmosphere change from "Undertow" to "Aenima" is massive. Every track on this album is awesome; from the heavy and catchy song "Hooker With A Penis" to the frankly genius "Pushit" where Maynard sings, "pushit on me, put sh-t on me." It's stuff like that that makes Tool so different. They album itself has alot of jams, interludes in the songs, but if that's not your sort of thing, the wait for the build up is well worth it. Justin takes his imagination along for the ride, grabbing the book of rules for bass playing and chucks it out of the window. Danny's drumming is absolutely stunning, and Adam Jones' guitar playing is as unique as ever. // 9

Lyrics: Ahhh, Tool's lyrics. Something even the most hardcore of fan has studied frantically to find out what the hell Maynard is on about. He is one of the best lyricist's of our time. He has a cleaver way about his words, like I said earlier, "Pushit" was cleaver for mixing the two words together, leaving you thinking, "did he just say what I thought he just said?" But the same is done with very cynical song "Aenima", where he say's the words "learn to swin, I can swim", mixing the two words so smoothly, it's hard to tell which one he's actually saying. Overall, every Tool album, both vocally and lyrically is always top of its game. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is considered to be the favourite among hardcore Tool fans, I'm sat right there next to them. This album is stunning. It's not to everyone's taste though, as I said before, there are alot of jams, interludes and a couple of tracks with odd noises. But if you like that sort of prog tradition, your in for a treat. // 10

Aenima Reviewed by: draintheKORN908, on march 10, 2005

Sound: Tool is one of the strangest bands of the '90s. This album is based on thinking for yourself. Maynard James Keenan (lead singer) is against religion, Los Angeles, and other assorted things. Tool has been described as nu-metal, alternative, and metal because of the variations of sound Adam Jones creates on his guitar. This band paved the way for bands like Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin with their style of music. This CD isn't exactly the greatest produced. The music in the CD consists of heavy guitars and bass, complex drums (via Danny Carey), and mind-numbing lyrics. Though Jones' guitars are not exactly the most complex, the are creative and he must a good memory with some of the song lengths on this CD. // 8

Lyrics: Maynard's voice and Adam Jones' guitar go together hand-in-hand. There isn't really a voice like Maynard's, so that's what separates Tool from other bands of the '90s. The lyrics are anti-religion (get off that f--king cross/we need the f--king space/to nail the next fool martyr), anti-government and about every thing else. On this album (and about every other one) Maynard will sometimes make complex lyrics that could take weeks, months to decipher or otherwise he's just straight out (in this f--king hole we call LA/the only way to fix is to flush it all away). Listen to Maynards voice and you'll understand why its so different. // 10

Overall Impression: The only thing that Tool can be compared to are newer bands: Chevelle, A Perfect Circle (Maynard's new band), Submersed, and Breaking Benjamin. The most impressive songs off the album are Stinkfist, Hooker With A Penis, Forty-Six & 2, Aenima, and Third Eye. Each has a unique sound and a different feeling to it. Occasionally there are "filler" songs (songs with no real rhythm and are very short) but otherwise each the songs are 6 minutes (the longest is 13 minutes, Third Eye) and the CD is a total of 77 minutes long. Overall this CD isn't one of the CDs that defined the '90s, it was against it. // 10

More Tool reviews rating latest review
+ Lateralus 9.8 02/18/2014