Opiate Review

tool: Opiate
Released: 1992
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
In retrospect, Opiate seems a little haphazard, but it's possible to hear the seeds of Tool's oppressively bleak.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.9
 9.1
 8.7
Opiate Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2004

Sound: For Tool's album first album I thought it was amazingly creative. The guitar riffs were really cool on songs like "Jerkoff" and "Hush." It is really hard to rate the sound because it came out in 1992 the recording wasn't really great. Like the bass you can't really hear, and unfortunately you can't hear the drums that well either. Eventhough there were some down sides to the sound the music is still great. // 8

Lyrics: MJK's lyrics are amazing any way you look at it. But on this album they seem to have a frustrated or angry feeling. My first impression of the lyrics was that they were immature but as you listen to Opiate more and actually think about the lyrics, they seem just as complex as any other Tool song. // 10

Overall Impression: The thing about Opiate is that there are 6 tracks but half of them are recorded live. The interesting thing is that they are so amazing that it doesn't sound like they were recorded live. All 6 songs are great and you can listen to the cd the whole way through and enjoy every song tremendously. This is a definate purchase for anybody who has at least 2 Tool albums. // 10

Opiate Reviewed by: gibson_rules_99, on july 04, 2008

Sound: Despite being Tool's first release, Opiate, a six-song EP relesed in 1992 is one of the best Tool albums to date. Their sound is much more raw and outgoing their more recent material. This album is the perfect example of their heavy, dark, yet at the same time energetic and melodical sound. They have been classified as metal, yet they seem to be in between genres. The album features two live songs which sound amazing. If it weren't for the sound of the crowd and Maynard James Keenan's between song outbursts, you'd never guess they were the live songs on the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album range are very dark and angry (espically on "Jerk-Off and "Hush") and Keenan seems to throw his ideas out with rekless abandon, resulting in his lyrical style which is very recognizable. His seemingly rage-filled lyrics work well with the powerfull, heavy sound of the music. In terms of vocals, Keenan delivers a strong perfromance with nothing held back. He can scream, but his singing is right on and his voice fits with Tool's style perfectly. // 7

Overall Impression: Tool doesn't really compare to many other artists. There is only one Tool and this album is incredible. Although it is only six songs long, it defines the band's sound and is the perfect introductery album to Tool. Although there wasn't a song on the album I didn't like, my personal favourites are probably "Hush" and "Cold And Ugly". If it were stolen or lost, I would by two new copies. // 9

Opiate Reviewed by: dieiervonstn, on december 09, 2004

Sound: This cd is the rawest, heaviest Tool cd. The recording sounds raw and low-budget, but that adds to the heaviness of the album as a whole. The riffs and vocals are the heaviest thing Tool has recorded to date. This is in a way my favorite Tool cd simply because it is their heaviest. I bought this cd without hearing a single track and it was well worth it. For having only 6 songs, this is still one of my favorite cds out of my collection (of over 300 if that says anything). Buy this cd, whether you are a Tool fan or not. This cd will change your perspective of Tool. And like the previous review mentioned, you can hear the roots of the future Tool in this excellent EP. // 10

Lyrics: Maynard James Keenan. Need I say more? Well, I will. These lyrics are definetely Maynard's angriest. They talk about killing people, his hatred (or perhaps mistrust?) of God, and censorship, among other things. Maynard is my favorite frontman of all time, not just because of his genius lyrics, but also his vocals. The lyrics on the hidden track ("Gaping Lotus Experience") are great. (I had a friend once - he took some acid - now he thinks he is a fire engine...) Maynard never ceases to amaze me. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite track on this album is "Hush", although they are all kick ass. I love this album overall for just being raw and the Tool guys just get out and kick it. The double live songs ("Cold & Ugly" and "Jerk-off") show the rawness of Tool on stage. Also, the sound is actually better since it wasn't recorded in the highest class studio. It adds to the heaviness and metal attitude of the album. If you are a fan of heavy music, buy this cd. Regardless of what you think you know about Tool, buy this cd. It is well worth the $10 you will pay. You might even get it for cheaper than that. // 10

Opiate Reviewed by: buddyhimself, on august 17, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is the most inspirational thing I have ever heard. It has good tone quality. The songs are heavy, and they question authory and think for themselves. It is a true Tool album, and it was their first album (EP rather). The drums are more steady than Danny's other stuff, but are still great. Adam's guitar work is aggressive, and has a lot of good bite. Paul D' Amour's bass tone is really heavy, and sounds moreso like the bass tone on 10,000 Days, but more vintage. Maynard's voice and lyrics are beautiful, and powerful. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very Bill Hicks inspired I believe. The title track questions religion, showing that Tool stands up for their beliefs. The song "Hush" is also a very good free speech example. It focuses on the PMRC and censorship. "Jerk Off" shows a lot of anger, and is a good tune to listen to when pissed. All of the lyrics on this album are very thought out and effective. All the melodies and compliance is great. Maynard uses his dynamic voice and some screaming for this album, it's a must-hear for any Tool fan. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my second favorite Tool album, it's also their heaviest! It's more gritty and raw, and has good power. The most impressive songs, IMO, are "Opiate", "Cold and Ugly", and "Part of Me." I love the heaviesness and raw power in this album. The only thing I don't like about it is, it's kinda short. I understand why though, and it really helps the albums quality to be EP. If my copy was stolen, I'd definately get another. it's kinda hard to find, but it's a must have. // 10

Opiate Reviewed by: patbuck2, on august 10, 2010

Sound: My impression of the sound and the music is that this EP is pretty self explanatory. It's their first release and it definitely sounds just like that: a young band that's still figuring their sound out. This EP, along with Undertow, is definitely heavier than their later releases and I can definitely hear the metal influences more than the progressive ones. This EP just sounds raw. +A story I can attach to the EP is that I've read an interview in which Adam said that they recorded the songs that they did on it because they wanted to prove themselves on their first release by showing off their most aggressive stuff. He said that they had already written many of the songs on Undertow, but recorded these to show how pissed off they could sound. And the album definitely sounds like that. The whole band just sounds mad about shit. Especially Maynard's vocals and the way that Danny just pounds the drum kit. +The musical styles of this record are that most of the songs are more "heavy metal" sounding (the title-track isn't as heavy, but still pretty pissed off). Like I said before, the band just sounds angry and heavy. There aren't very many innovations on the album. The playing is still pretty simplistic compared to Lateralus and 10, 000 Days. They just sound like a 90's metal band, which is about right. +I would like to share that I recommend this EP if you like the sounds of Undertow and maybe Aenima. Also, check out some of the live performances from the 1990-1995 era on youtube to see some great, powerful performances. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are definitely not my favorites from Maynard. But, like I said before, this is a young version of the band that was trying to show their anger. Maynard definitely sounds angry in his vocals on this EP. I think that the delivery of the lyrics is more powerful than the actual lyrics. They are pretty simplistic at this point, but still definitely good. +The angry delivery of the lyrics compliment the angry instrument playing quite well. +Maynard has great singing skills and he can do a lot of different things with his voice. I like the delivery of the lyrics in this EP a lot. The way Maynard sounds like he's just screaming at you can cause goosebumps. // 7

Overall Impression: The only other albums I want to compare it to would be Undertow and maybe some parts of Aenima. It definitely has a similar sound to Undertow. It sounds like a lot of bands' first releases: young, emotional, and pretty raw. +I think that the best songs on the album are Cold & Ugly and Jerk-Off. Those are the two live recordings on the album and they sound great. I love watching the live performances from this era on youtube because that intimate, small venue feel mixed with the rage of the music is just wonderful. I love the guitar playing on those songs, also. +I love the anger, the frustration, and how those feelings are broadcast to the listener. I guess I'm not too big of a fan of the lack of variety and the lyrics. There isn't too much I don't like about it, but I'm not too crazy about it, either. +I would definitely replace it if it were stolen because I love this band that much. I am happy to spend my money on them. // 8

More Tool reviews rating latest review
+ Lateralus 9.8 02/18/2014