Salival Review

tool: Salival
Released: Dec 12, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
After a four-year hiatus, Tool returns with the elaborately packaged Salival set, which includes a 70-minute CD of previously unreleased live and studio material, a 56-page book of photos and video stills, and a VHS/DVD collection of the group's impressive stop-motion videos.
 8.8
 7.6
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Salival Reviewed by: dieiervonstn, on february 18, 2005

Sound: It's a Tool album. Need I say more? And it's a sort of non traditional Tool CD. It has 2 covers (Peach's "You Lied" and an awesome rendition of "No Quarter" by Led Zeppelin). The "You Lied" song is live. When I heard it, I thought it was originally a Tool song, but it's actually first done by bassist Justin Chancellor's first band Peach. The Tool version is better, but that's the one I got my impression of the song with. The cd also has live versions of "Pushit," "Third Eye," and "Part Of Me." And there is a continuation of "Message To Harry Manback" which was first found on the Aenima CD. This is part 2 of that. And then the weird instrumental "Merkaba" rounds the CD out. I also like the hidden song "Maynard's Dick." Overall not the best Tool CD, more of an odds and ends collection. Plus the accompanying DVD or VHS has all the Tool videos up through the Aenima CD. So that would be everything except "Schism" and "Parabol/Parabola." // 10

Lyrics: Maynard. Enough said. Maynard is the greatest vocalist/lyricist in music today. The most creative, the most metaphoric, the best. Even his stuff with APC is awesome. It's a bit of a different direction, but not bad at all. 2 of the songs on here are covers, and there is one instrumental, and the studio versions of the live songs are on their other cds, so nothing new here. But the lyrics are f--kin' amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Tool compares to no one. And the live songs/Zeppelin cover show that. The live songs are excellent. Plus the DVD/VHS with their videos make this a must-have for any music fan. My personal favorite song on here is "You Lied." It's unbelievable. It starts out with a mellow bassline, gets heavy, gets mellow with Maynard's space like, trippy vocals, then gets heavy again. Excellent. I would buy this CD/DVD any time I had to. You should too. Rock on Tool. // 10

More Tool reviews rating latest review
+ Lateralus 9.8 02/18/2014