Beethoven's Last Night Review

trans-siberian orchestra: Beethoven's Last Night
Release Date: Apr 11, 2000
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Classical Crossover
The Trans-Siberian Orchestra's first non-holiday-themed album, Beethoven's Last Night, incorporates some of the composer's most noted pieces with original ones that peer into Beethoven's psyche.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Beethoven's Last Night Reviewed by: obey_yourmaster, on july 25, 2006

Sound: Most of this band's material is Christmas music, this being thier only non-Christmas album. The sound is brilliant, they combine classical music with rock, making a very unique sound. In some cases it is their own work, but in other cases, it's Beethoven's composition with a little twist. They even do a Mozart composition. In some cases there is singing, while in others, it is just instrumental. A great blend of all types of music. The vocals are super, and the instrumentals don't seem too long, or repetitive. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics portray the last night of Ludwig Van Beethoven. It also looks back on Beethoven's life, describing his relationship and other hardships in his life. The story is about Beethoven selling his masterpiece (one of his final symphonies) to Satan (who is called Mephistopheles). He is visited by an angel named Fate, who convinces him to not sell his masterpiece. The booklet that comes with the CD tells the story in much more detail. The lyrics are very well written, and the combination of male/female singing is excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing to their other albums, this one is in my opinion, the best. It can be listened to all year, rather than just during Christmas time, such as The Lost Christmas Eve, or Christmas Eve And Other Stories. They are an excellent band and very talented. All of the songs on this CD are worth a listen, and you'll get every single one of them stuck in your head. I love how they combine classical music with rock, and manage to stick a guitar solo here and there. There's really not anything I don't enjoy about this CD, and I recommend it to everyone. If it were stolen/lost, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I suggest everyone go and buy it right now. // 10

More Trans-siberian Orchestra reviews rating latest review