Only Through The Pain Review

trapt: Only Through The Pain
Release Date: Aug 5, 2008
Label: Eleven Seven Music
Genres: Rock
Trapt's latest album isn't a huge stretch musically, but there are enough pleasing, melodic rock tracks to satisfy its core audience.
 7.9
 7.4
 8.3
Only Through The Pain Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 05, 2008

Sound: It's been 3 years since Trapt released a full-length studio album, and during that time the California natives have made a few changes, namely a new guitarist and label. Probably the biggest transition came only this past March, during which time former guitarist Simon Ormandy was replaced by Rob Torres. Regardless of what Ormandy's reason for leaving was, the guitarist still has a heavy presence on the latest record Only Through The Pain, which is not a huge departure from what we've heard in the past. As the band's debut studio album on Eleven Seven Music (they also released the concert album Live! last year), Trapt could have tried out some new styles with their newfound freedom at the Nikki Sixx-founded label, but the band did decide to play it relatively safe. Of course, a band doesn't have to prove itself musically by going out on a ledge on every single record, and Trapt fans will probably be just as content to hear the reliable, radio-ready songs that Trapt usually churns out. There are quite a few songs that lean toward more of a power ballad sound than a straightforward rock sound, and in some ways that causes the album to lag a bit. I'm not anti-ballad, but Trapt is extremely effective when it delivers some distortion-heavy riffs. The opening song Wasteland is one of the biggest highlights with an infectious intro and energy. There's a really nice lead guitar line underneath the chorus that is a bit hidden in the mix, but it enhances the power chords that drive most of the track. Curiosity Kills and Cover Up are other standout tracks that give the band an edgier sound. You get some nice touches like a wah pedal in Curiosity Kills, while Cover Up starts everything off with a pounding bass pedal (think Running With The Devil). On the other side of the spectrum is The Last Tear, a very mellow offering that sounds a good deal like 3 Doors Down. Between the laid-back tempos and vocalist Chris Brown's smooth vocals, there are actually quite a few tracks on Only Through The Pain that are worthy of that comparison. // 7

Lyrics: In terms of the themes and lyrics found on the record, they tend to mirror the familiarity of the music. There is nothing too out of the ordinary in either department, but that isn't necessarily a jab at the band. Their lyrics do have some nice imagery at times, which is evident in songs like Black Rose. Brown sings, Black rose your thorns are cutting into me for the last time; Black rose I watched your petals wilt away I couldn't bring you back to life. We've probably heard similar metaphorical themes in the past, but at least the band is at least attempting to add a bit of color to the lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: The jump to Eleven Seven Records hasn't really altered Trapt's sound, and there are more than a few songs that scream for airplay. What the new label might do, however, is give Trapt the promotion and backing it needs to regain the popularity it had back in 2002 with debut self-titled album. While the band does deliver some solid rock singles on Only Through The Pain, the band never pushes the envelope too far. But again, the band isn't necessarily embraced for being the heaviest rock outfit on the scene, and there are plenty of Trapt fans who will enjoy the new album as much as their earlier work. // 7

Only Through The Pain Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 07, 2008

Sound: "Only Through The Pain" sure sounds a lot different from Trapt's earlier work. But if your a True Trapt fan (like me) you wont have any problems getting into their new sound. The first song off he album "Wasteland" starts off kinda sounding a bit punk but I guess that's because Trapt's new guitar player "Robb Torres" has a different approach to guitar then Simon Ormandy.Robb is a great guitar player no dought about it just I think he uses a bit too many power chords because in the song "Who's Going Home With You Tonight" the intro, verse, outro are a bunch a powerchord just add some Distorion to it. The song "Lets Forget About the Rain" blew me away that song sounded so different then any other Trapt song I have ever heard. The drums sounded simple but allso very plesant, the guitar sounded to be Jamaican influenced. I couldn't hear much bass in any song of the album. The rest of the songs in this album are great. Just would of been nice to add some more guitar solo's into the album "Black Rose" is the ony song on the album that has a guitar solo. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in every song kinda seems lke its about the same thing except in a few but the lyrics in "Only through The Pain" isnt as good as the lyrics on their debut album "Trapt" or "Someone In control" but their realy easy too remember so if you ever go to a Trapt concert you wont forget any of their lyrics so you could sing along to every song. // 7

Overall Impression: This album sure is worth buying again if something ever happens to it. But I don't think I'll buy it again because I just Rip it on my computer so if something ever happens to it I can just burn another copy of it. This album is a hella of a lot better then any other albums I have heard lately like The Jonas Brothers album "J.O.N.A.S!" The music is crap I never liked their music. This album won't be "Album Of The Year" or anything but it has allot of great songs that you could listen to over and over again without ever getting tierd of listening to it. Their only one thing that I didn't like about this album and that was it's a bit too short for me I wished they would of put a few more songs on it or maybe something on the piano would of been nice that would of been great. Or if it was a bit more instrumental. // 8

More Trapt reviews rating latest review
+ Reborn 6.1 03/04/2013