Someone In Control Review

Released: Sep 13, 2005
Label: Warner Bros.
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Grunge, Alternative Metal
Someone In Control is at least a little more promising. The guys are still trapped inside their rigid sound.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 8.6
 8.7
 8.4
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this album:
Someone In Control Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 14, 2005

Sound: California rockers Trapt are back with a new album "Someone In Control." The band struggled a lot to become what they are now. Their story is not a trivial "happened to be in the right place in the right time" -? they had a hell lot of difficulties and obstacles on their way -? a hard decision between music and education, loss of a drummer, difficult relationship with record companies. Schoolhood buddies Chris Brown (vocals) and Peter Charell (bass) made a band under the impression of music by Korn, Soundgarden, Pink Floyd and Metallica. With guitarist Simon Ormandy and drummer Aaron Montgomery they signed their first contract with to Warner Bros in 2001. A year later they released a successful self-titled EP under the production of Garth Richardson, who previously worked with Rage Against the Machine. Now the band is busy touring in support of the album, which was out just yesterday. "Someone In Control" was produced by Don Gilmore, famous for his collaboration with Linkin Park and Lit. It is 11 razor sharp tracks with the strong sense of melody. While the debut album had a lot of grunge-lite riffs and alt-rock feel, the current one is rougher and features more raw guitars. The band uses a lot of atmospheric guitars as well, which add songs U2 flavor, ethereal and distortion guitars drive on all tracks, while rhythm-section is clean and distinctive. Most songs are varied with weird sounds in the very beginning, probably borrowed from the '80s movie about spaceships. The lead single "Stand Up" has quiet melodic versus and heavy blow-out fast-paced choruses. As well as all other 10 songs and an additional track at the end of the record. Things get more and more monotonous with every next song. The formula of balance between very loud and quiet is best produced in "Lost Realist" -? a ballad with beautiful harmonies. For the words "Carve me from stone, right to the bone" I can even forgive Chris a boring bridge. "Skin Deep" has a repetitive chorus and thus is the most catchy track. // 8

Lyrics: Even though the band is considered to be metal, or at least hard-rock, Brown croons far more than he screams. That can't not get on your nerves after you played the CD a couple of times. It seems like he's complaining and whining about his problems all through the record instead of fighting for his life. Sometimes I feel so sorry for him -? like in "Victim" -? pure boy, what makes you croon so desperate? Chris is writing lyrics himself and puts his soul in what he's singing about. As the in the lyrics he's complaining as well -? "I feel so incomplete, you left me too far behind/It's too hard to just move on its too hard to just move on" -? it sounds even more boring. In the choruses there are a lot of echo in the vocals to intensify Brown's voice. With that effect the voice sounds week compared to the load of other instruments. // 6

Overall Impression: Brown and Charell grew up in a small town in California, where the kids' lives were decided beforehand by their parents. The doom of their lives left a step in their music in absence of ambitions and desperation. As Brown says, every song on the album is either about loosing a control or trying to have control. The new record follows the same formula Trapt invented on their debut album. Seems now it's the destiny of most rock bands -? either the record companies are too afraid to fail with something new or the bands are scared of experimenting. It's obvious though the last three years didn't pass in vain for Trapt as a new record is much more mature, then it's predecessor. The album is strong in some areas -? it's very well produced, songs are easy to listen to and catchy. The musicians are all skill-wised, but there's still something missing in their sound. That's a pretty good record for an unschooled listener though. // 8

Someone In Control Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 15, 2005

Sound: Trapt's second release Someone In Control has proved to me to be a good sounding CD. It has good riffs and is heavier than the first album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are awesome. The best song lyrics wise on this CD in my opinion is "Skin Deep" with Chris Brown showing an awesome voice like he does in the whole CD. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to their first self-titled release, this is a better CD anyway you look at it. The best songs on the album in my opinion are Skin Deep, Stand Up, Lost Realist, and Disconnected (Out Of Touch). If it was stolen or lost, I would surely buy another one. // 10

Someone In Control Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2005

Sound: The boys from Trapt are back with their 2nd album. Although their first album was nothing special, to me it gave them a slight edge. With nothing to live up to they have broken the strings on this one. Their sound is harder, even the slow songs rock out loud with amazing riffs, and melodic bass runs. Not the mast talented stuff, but still fun to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics along with the sound have really matured this album. Chris throws a lot of issues out on the table and doesn't seem to care that he is opening is soul to the public. His voice, though not incredible, is like almost a Nirvana, (it goes well with the music). // 8

Overall Impression: Comparing it to their first album Trapt has really matured and brought about their own fate. They got this far themselves and will continue on, even though they are one of the most critqued bands in the modern rock seen. Props to Trapt! // 10

Someone In Control Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on march 06, 2006

Sound: Though described as metal, or hard-rock, Trapt has a lighter sound. It seems mostly made up of lighter notes, but still is good listening to. This album is definatly better musically, but still is stuck in that theory that they need to keep to their old sound. I don't turn it off when I here it, but it could use a change. It is very boring to listen to the same sound over and over again. And since it all sounds the same, you have to really listen to the lyrics to figure out when it's over. On the plus side, Stand Up is a very good song and seems to stand against the rest of the album. It is more fast-paced, though it sounds a wee bit like Disconneted (Out Of Touch). // 9

Lyrics: It's not that Chris Brown's choice of lyrics isn't good, because they are some of the best I've ever heard, it's that he makes it sound like he's whining. Someone In Control has fallen behind vocally. It is very annoying to listen to someone whine for a whole album. Please Chris, sing! He's losing a fan-base because of the way he sings, not what he sings. But overall, the lyrics are well written, and doesn't sound forced. // 7

Overall Impression: Trapt is that kind of band that you listen to sometimes, but you don't get addicted to. As I said, I wouldn't turn it off if I heard it, but I don't listen to it deliberatly constantly. Probably the most impressive songs from the album would be Stand Up and Skin Deep. They stick when I think of Trapt, along with Headstrong, but that's a different album. Since my copy is a burned copy, I wouldn't buy it again. I'd just burn it. Personally, they're a good band, but I have better CD's to spend my money on. It's a good thing to have burned, but I don't think it's worth $15, maybe $10. // 8

More Trapt reviews rating latest review
+ Reborn 6.1 03/04/2013