You Waste Your Time [Single] Review

Tremonti: You Waste Your Time [Single]
Released: May 7, 2012
Genre: Hard Rock, Alternative Metal
Label: FRET12 Records
The first single from upcoming Mark Tremonti solo album shows Mark unleashing his metal side like he never has before.
 9.2
 9.4
review (1) 18 comments vote for this album:
You Waste Your Time [Single] Reviewed by: TremontiAddict, on may 11, 2012

Sound: After years of being the lead guitarist for Creed and Alter Bridge, Mark Tremonti breaks out as the lead man in his debut solo album "All I Was". The first single entitled "You Waste Your Time" shows Mark unleashing his metal side like he never has before. From the opening seconds of the song onward, Tremonti alongside rhythm guitarist Eric Friedman and drummer Garrett Whitlock (both formerly of Submersed) are out to prove this isn't just a simple side project. The song kicks off with heavy riffs from Tremonti and Friedman accompanied by very tight drumming. Once the first verse begins, the song slows down into a more melodic structure only to build back up into an explosive chorus shortly after. The song's solo is one of the fastest Tremonti has ever done, and I'm always left wanting to hear more when the track comes to a close. // 9

Lyrics: As a big fan of Tremonti's work throughout the years, my main curiosity leading up to the release of this single was how Mark could hold up as a lead singer. After listening to the song multiple times, I can safely say he does not disappoint. Mark has an aggressive, yet melodic voice that suits the song very well. With the current state of hard rock/metal music being filled with screaming vocalists, hearing a melodic voice accompanying triplets and a blazing solo is quite a pleasure. Lyrically, fans of the Alter Bridge record "One Day Remains" should be satisfied. Mark puts his lyrical stamp on this song with lines such as: "All the ties were severed when you came // But what if I could mend them once again? // You're afraid to learn // Forced to watch those bridges as they burn // You waste your time // You hide too much don't ever let me find // What you're thinking". Lyrically, Tremonti meets the expectations that I have come to recognize him for over the years. Vocally, he exceeds every expectation I could have imagined. // 9

Overall Impression: I feel "You Waste Your Time" will do well as the first single for "All I Was". The song itself reminds me of other melodic hard rockers such as Stone Sour and Five Finger Death Punch, but overall I think Tremonti has managed to make a distinguished sound of his own on this track. One gripe I do have about this song is that it follows the typical Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Solo/Chorus pattern found across radios everywhere, but this doesn't come as too big a surprised considering this song was picked as the radio single. I have personally been following the progress of Tremonti's solo career for over a year now, so it's needless to say I had high expectations when this single was released. I can safely say "You Waste Your Time" is everything I thought it would be and more, and I can't wait to hear the full release of "All I Was" when it comes out in July. // 9

More Tremonti reviews rating latest review
+ All I Was 9.2 07/20/2012