The Hummingbird EP Review

artist: Trey Lockerbie date: 01/04/2011 category: compact discs
Trey Lockerbie: The Hummingbird EP
Released: Mar 06, 2009
Genre: Folk
Singer-songwriter-guitarist Trey Lockerbie may seem like any other folk singer but his new EP, "The Hummingbird" is more than just any other folk album.
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Hummingbird EP Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on january 04, 2011

Sound: Singer-songwriter-guitarist Trey Lockerbie may seem like any other folk singer but his new EP, The Hummingbird is more than just any other folk album. Folk music is the palette that he uses for his songs but what jumps out at the listener are the stories that he projects in his words. The 3-track EP focuses on human vulnerabilities and the need to repair oneself when everything good seems lost. Lockerbie makes the songs tuneful similarly to Matt Nathanson, but he also makes them relevant to his life and to his audiences. Sometimes it seems like he believes his audience are going through what he is, making the songs personable without being self-indulgent. The soothing strums of the title track are oared by gently, tapping drumbeats and floating effects textured with synth-laden chimes. The singalong versing of Sullivan Street is reminiscent of Matt Costa and the lullaby stride of Criminal is supported by drizzling acoustics and storytelling-like vocals. The songs have a middle of the road appeal which make them seem simple and amenable. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are the crux of Lockerbie's songs. In Sullivan Street he narrates, I offered my umbrella and she said to me / Could you walk me down to Sullivan Street / Well, we looked like two lovers on a Bob Dylan cover. He puts a sentimental tag on the fictitious Sullivan Street and he sings the songs as if others out there have such a street in their lives. In the title track, Lockerbie muses, I believe that eventually we will get what we are after / But I need it now / And all I see out my windows is a hummingbird flying backwards / And it's all I think about. He uses hummingbirds as a metaphor for his life, while in Criminal, he blatantly tries to avoid confronting issues, I don't recognize my own reflection / Or my voice on the phone / I've been avoiding all your questions. // 8

Overall Impression: Lockerbie's songs are narrations about earmark events which he shapes into a singalong versing. Each track has a sentimental bent that enables his audience to identify with him, and enables him to not feel so alone. The general consensus is that folk music is the people's music, and Lockerbie treats his songs as such. // 8

Comments