Melana Chasmata Review

9.7
 8.9
review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Melana Chasmata Reviewed by: KerNeL_KLuTcH, on may 23, 2014

Sound: After Celtic Frost's messy split extreme metal pioneer Tom G Warrior started a new band, Triptykon. Combining doom metal, black metal and gothic elements Triptykon forges a sound of their own, while continuing the sound heard on Celtic Frost's "Monotheist." Celtic Frost's avant-garde elements also appear throughout this album. The riffs draw power from low tunings and a heavy distorted tone. There is a riff in the middle of "Boleskine House" that is purely crushing. Occasionally the crushing riffs give way to ethereal clean parts or acoustic guitar parts such as the intro to "Aurorae." The drumming can go from a doom metal type of slower drumming to a black metal gallop the track "Breathing" exemplifies this. This is one of the darkest metal albums I've heard since Triptykon's debut. // 10

Lyrics: Tom G Warrior's vocals as always contain his trademark bark. The lyrical themes include death, darkness, and religion this fits well with the music as it is very dark. Female vocals are provided by Simone Vollenweider, who has appeared on all Triptykon's releases to date and Celtic Frost's "Monotheist." This time bassist Vanja Slajh also provides vocals although only on the closing song "Waiting." Cleaner vocals are also employed at various parts of the album. My only complaint with the vocals is a similar one that I have with much extreme metal they can sometimes be buried under the guitars, bass and drums, Triptykon however don't suffer this problem as much as some bands though. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to "Eparistera Daimones" "Melena Chasmata" continues Triptykon's output of dark, heavy, nightmarish music. Triptykon has become one of my favorite modern metal bands. Right up there with modern greats such as Opeth, Mastodon, Ghost, Carach Angren etc. My favorite songs from this album are "Boleskine House," "Breathing," "Demon Pact," "Black Snow," and "Waiting." I love almost every aspect of this album, it's heavy dark crushing riffs. The vocals which go from haunting to aggressive, the changes in atmosphere in each song everything this album offers is amazing. If this were lost I would most certainly buy it again. Especially since the 32 page booklet that come with the CD has insights from Tom about each song and features stunning artwork from H.R. Giger. // 10

More Triptykon reviews rating latest review
+ Shatter 8.5 11/05/2010