Triumph And Parade Review

artist: Triumph And Parade date: 07/11/2008 category: compact discs
Triumph And Parade: Triumph And Parade
Release Date: Sep 12, 2006
Genres: Rock
It includes catchy vocals, countless melodies and harmonies, and raw, chest-pounding, guitar-driven elements that make the band a well-rounded group to any music lover.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Triumph And Parade Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on july 11, 2008

Sound: Triumph And Parade's self-titled EP is the type of album that you'll enjoy taking with you on those long drives when all you want to do is think about all those things that weigh heavy on your heart. The gravity of the guitaristy of Mitch Frazier and Scot Stewart is gripping as they angle emotive cuts and scintillating curves around lead singer Mike Frazier's vocal melodies. The guitar parts display a fierce tugging action while melodically orchestrating their lines and keeping in momentum with each other. The rhythm section of bassist Eric Dillon and drummer Rick Shell courses trembling bumps through "On The Off-Beat" and comfy bobbing beats along "Set The Alarm For Never." The complexity of the chord dynamics develops incrementally as the band fastens seamless transitions and melodically hued changes. Mike's vocals mostly deliver a melodic resonance in the songs, but he dips into a screamo voicing in "Stop and Smell the Roses Burning" and "Evolution to Resolution." The scaling notes of "Evolution to Revolution" give the song character as the music depicts a internal struggle. Triumph and Parade's songs do that, they she'd light on personal conflicts the way a painting from Edvard Munch does, but Triumph And Parade actually try to work through resolving the heavily weighed conflicts. The music projects a sonic imagery for this theme, and gives the emotional turmoil that humans go through, greater dimension. All five members of the band are skilled painters by trade and have uniquely transposed their talents with the paint brush to playing their instruments. The band's self-titled album, which is mostly an acoustic rock offering, concentrates on the band's finer sonic esthetics. // 8

Lyrics: Lead vocalist Mike Frazier conveys in the song "Set in Stone" feelings of distress when he sings, "Wait for, wait for, wait for me / To take, to take, to take this bullet to the chest / I've compromised and I've confessed / And now I take this bullet to the chest / To save you, to save me / I feel my wings are broken / These words are already set in stone." The songs always muse about lingering feelings like in the track At Least It Felt Like A Promise when Frazier delivers feelings of regret as he calls out, It's all these little things that I should have said / It makes me wonder why it's gotten to your head / It's all just one big misunderstanding / It's who I am and what you are / It's why we'll be nothing / My arms are wrapped around you / But your not holding on. The lyrics are thoughts that are eager to come out and make it's narrator act on them. // 8

Overall Impression: Triumph and Parade is for the serious-minded individual, but this does not mean that some aspects of the band and their music are not relatable to the romantic harlequin. This side of the band is noticeable on the back cover of the band's self-titled album, which has a drawing of a stick figure with a red heart seen on the outside of his shirt. The image relates to someone who wears his heart on the outside of his chest, and it's an image that Triumph And Parade relate to in their songwriting where their hearts are exposed blatently. Their music definitely portrays the graver issues that the heart endures, although putting it in a mainly acoustic-rock format has made heavily weighed feelings more manageable and easier to surmount. // 8

Comments