Ascendancy Review

trivium: Ascendancy
Released: Mar 15, 2005
Genre: Metalcore
Label: Roadrunner
With their second album finished and on the shelf, Trivium look forward to spending most of the year on the road - which doesn't mean they're not constantly working on new material.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.2
 9.4
Ascendancy Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2005

Sound: Trivium has an amazing sound. The guitar playing and drumming is incredible, but it could use a bit more bass. I'm a sucker for harmonized riffs, and these guys definately grabbed my attention there. Trivium is one of my favorite bands, but there are a few things that could be changed about the sound, such as length of some songs, more harmonies, longer solos, stuff like that. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Heafy has lyrics like I've never seen before. Almost anyone can relate to them and they are very powerful and full of meaning. Not much else to say there. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. The End Of Everything - this is a sweet way to open up the album. Nice soft touch, shows how powerful they can be as they're being soft 9/10. 02. Rain - this is a great song. Good guitar playing and good solos as well. I think if they would have had "The End Of Everything" drag into this song a little more, it would have been perfect 9/10. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - amazing song. A great way to follow up "Rain." Heafy has good lyrics in this song and the solos are incredible. The drums are really good in this song as well. One of my favorite songs on the album 10/10. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - this song has a sweet riff. The drums could have been a little stronger behind it, but overall it has a really good sound. Not one of the best songs, but it's up there 7/10. 05. Ascendancy - this song couldn't be any more perfect for the title track. Great lyrics and the guitar playing blows me away 10/10. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - this is my favorite song on the whole album. I could listen to it over and over. The only thing that makes it not perfect, is the whole AC/DC "hey" part near the end. I'm not a big fan of AC/DC and I find this sounds too much like them 9/10. 07. Like Light To The Flies - like one of theother guys said, this song sounds a lot like Metallica's "Master Of Puppets"; minus the screaming. Heafy does a good job of screaming and playing here. The solos are really good, and aren't too technical, like everything else in the world these days 10/10. 08. Dying In Your Arms - amazing song. Too short though. If they would have added another verse, maybe another solo it would have blown the rest of the songs out of the water 10/10. 09. The Deceived - not a lot to say about this song. Good riff, good solos 9/10. 10. Suffocating Sight - amazing song. Great guitar, great everything 10/10. 11. Departure - number 2 favorite of mine on the album. Lyrics are sweet, guitar is good. Can't get much better 10/10. 12. Declartion - good length song, great guitar again, and the drums are incredible 10/10. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: Juneau, on august 04, 2005

Sound: UGers have said it, even Kerrang! magazine have risked being the very first magazine to post Trivium on the front page. They just to give a simple message: this band is going to change the metal world, and with the most band barely scraped their 20's they are here to stay. The name Trivium comes from where they try to mix up many aspects of music. The two most obvious ones would be metalcore and trash metal. They also keep in touch in many other styles of music. This album has got far more to it than Ember To Inferno. That one trys to keep in touch with trash while Ascendancy keeps in with many styles of music. Otherall, it sounds more morden and trys to fit into the more hardcore scenes of todays market. However, that doesn't mean that it trys to hybrid the many types of metal. The sound is undescribable, you must hear it for yourself has soon has you can. Remember when some people called Mastodon the future of metal, they were lying. Trivium are the future of metal. // 10

Lyrics: When the band are not screaming, they try different ways of singing. The soft singing on "Like Light To The Flies," the harmonys on "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation" and the powerful singing of "The Deceived." I coudln't doubt Matt Heafy's voice in anyway possible, it's perfect. The lyrics aren't always angry and pissed off, they reflect on many issues, from suicide, to child abuse. It's pretty unqiue, I haven't heard anything like these lyrics and singing. Well, ever. // 10

Overall Impression: It's hard to compare these to any other artist out today; expect posers soon. Their sound isn't exactly when Nirvana hit the mainstream, but it's close to that. All we need is media attention for this band, hope they don't sell out, hope they go their own unique path and watch the next Metallica/Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath evolve. Soon, in a few years time, this is going to be one of rock's most influencial bands to ever grace the Earth. This is the future of metal, and I also doubt that no poser will ever reach to the heights of Trivium. For anyone who hasn't listened to them yet, just go on www.trivium.org and watch "Like Light To The Flies" and "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr." You're need to. Spread the word has well, Trivium are here. Buy your album now, and if someone steals it, kill them and get back; I've gone through that process at least three times. Now to hide the bodies. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: Aaron 2, on august 03, 2005

Sound: The band itself are absolutly amazing. They are so much much different than most other bands hese days because the only thing that's out at the moment is emo and punk bands wearing eye liner. The album is a very distinct sound that most bands of today cannot accomplish as this is a very brave step in the US music scene as they use thrash riffs with melodic vocals aswell as hardcore vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good and complex, and they seem to go well with their stlye and genre, but, with some of the songs, for example Pull Harder On The Srings Of Your Martyr as this may well be a cool song title, in dont see what that line has to do with the rest of the song as much as I love this song, I just can't grasp it. But apart from that sort of thing the lyrics are different and really stand out. // 8

Overall Impression: The band has been considered as thrash metal, which I can agree on some level, but if you are a hardcore thrash fan who is obseesed with Slayer, than don't get your hopes up to find a Slayer rebirth, but if you like metalcore thrash like the Agony Scene, than you might just be in for a treat! Definatly worth an investment. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: stanger13, on march 08, 2005

Sound: The album sound Great! 10 times better then Ember To Inferno! With the additions of guitarest Corey Beaulieu and bassist Paolo Gregoletto they sound complete as a band an there ready to kick your ass! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are red hot and ready to roll! Some songs are shorter on the lyrics, but they fit the mold of guitar work! // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album! The Best songs are "Like Light To The Flies," "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr" and "Rain." The album is great, it's up there with RTL, MOP and Black! It starts smoth, then kicks into high gear and launches Heavy riffs and in your face solos! If someone stole this album from me I go on the war path! And I'd definitely get it again, in a heart beat I would! // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2005

Sound: This is what real metal should be! Double bass drums, double guitars, and amazing melody to boot. The amazing thing about this band is half of the band is under the age of 21. So if they're kicking ass now, just wait 10 years from now, they'll own the metal community! // 10

Lyrics: Matt can punish you with his lyrics or he can calm the heart with his lyrics and that's what he does. From spousal abuse (A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation) to the media (Like Light To The Files) to the simple things like relationships (Dying In Your Arms) and standing up for yourself (the title track Ascendancy) this has everything. // 10

Overall Impression: It's hard to grasp the fact on how much better this band has become since their release of Ember To Inferno. I really thought of them as a second rate band, but after I recieved their new CD I was slapped silly. I'm not a Trivium fanboy trying to support them, I'm just tellin it like it is. Another factor that makes this band so great is their age, it's amazing. The band age range is 19-23. Well on to the review of some of their songs - all their songs are great. My personal favorite are "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr," "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation," "Like Light To The Flies," the Soilworkesque "Dying In Your Arms" and Departure. But I can sit down and listen to this CD over and over. It has so much replay value. It doesn't get old for some reason. Matt Heafy's voice has matured alot since their first release. He's really improved on the melodic parts of his voice and now has more variation in it. I'm proud of this band for what they've accomplished so quickly. Mark my words, this band will be the next big thing for the metal community and hopefully the entire world of music. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 19, 2005

Sound: The guitar, drums and singing are all very good. The potential of this band is incredible. They are actually my favorite band. I love metalcore, and love metal and other heavy genres of music. I'm definitely open minded towards screaming, and I realize it's the new age form of metal. Matt Heafy's screaming can sometimes be annoying, and I really think he should scream less, especially if they're trying to make the status of "Metal Legends." I am a sucker for screaming, and I really think it can work with this band, but there's a lot of times where it's not needed in the songs. They also should become a little more instrumental, and show off their talent more often by adding longer songs and more guitar solos. They also didn't seem to have enough bass. But overall, the sound is very innovative and I have faith that they'll continue to improve. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, but they are short in some songs. I can relate with a good amount of the stuff Heafy writes. He's actually pretty unique in his writing style. His topics vary in all different songs, and that's very good. It just feels like it's missing something. // 8

Overall Impression: 01. The End Of Everything - great way to open up the CD. Along with the cover of the album, it shows how powerful they will become as a metal band 10/10. 02. Rain - good song to go into. It was lacking in the instrumentals, but it was definitely worth putting on the CD 8/10. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - good hit single that's very catchy and has good guitar and drums. My only problem with the song, is that Heafy's screaming gets pretty annoying after a while 8/10. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - very good riff. It still somewhat lacked in instrumentals, but it had a good solo. It's another song worth putting on the CD 8/10. 05. Ascendancy - it's a good song. It's worth putting on any CD. It has a great chorus and is very catchy. It just needed a longer solo and it would have been perfect 8/10. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - very good song. It has a good length and a great guitar solo in it. The old school "Hey" chant was a nice touch, although sort of corny 9/10. 07. Like Light To The Flies - my favorite song. The solo reminds me of the solo in Master Of Puppets by Metallica. The length is good, and everything about this song rules 10/10. 08. Dying In Your Arms - it's decent, nothing special. I really disliked the length, and they made it way too radio friendly. I did however, like how Matt stayed away from the screaming in this song, and the riff and solo was good. But in order for them to become metal legends, they just simply need to get rid of songs like these 5/10. 09. The Deceived - not much to say about this song. It's good and it belongs there 7/10. 10. Suffocating Sight - it's way too metalcore. I have nothing against metalcore. But once again, they're going to have to stay away from songs like these 6/10. 11. Departure - this could have been a very good ballad. They didn't exactly ruin it, but they could have added an extra solo. The guitar solo that they do have, is very good but doesn't exactly follow the mood of the song. If they added a slow and soft guitar solo along with it, then it would have added an impressive length and would have made this song perfect 8/10. 12. Declaration - good length, good riffs, good song 9/10. // 8

Ascendancy Reviewed by: sebhaque, on may 19, 2006

Sound: Trivium is in the metalcore genre, and so you'd be expecting heavy guitar riffs, blastbeats, and harsh vocals. This album combines them all, with a smattering of clean vocals too (mainly used in choruses and breakdowns). Some people criticise Trivium for being too 'generic', but it's a matter of personal taste. I'd recommend you go listen to a few song samples before you make a solid decision about the CD (or band itself). The album is Trivium's second release, with Ember To Inferno being the first (and less-known) of the pair. Recently, Ascendancy has been re-released with a 13th track, Washing Away Me In The Tides. While the title appears to have a grammatical error, it's arguably one of the best tracks on the whole album. You'll find that the tone of Trivium is quite unique, it can be described as a combination of Shadows Fall and Ill Nino. Nonetheless, it's a great sound and I have no hesitation in recommending it to you. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are nothing special, but fit pretty well with the metalcore genre. Granted, it can be quite hard to figure out what Matt Heafy is saying sometimes, but the lyrics don't clash with the music. Heafy certainly has skill, the first time I tried to emulate the vocals of Rain, my throat was quite sore after a few lines in. The clean vocals used can't go unmentioned either. People who dislike Trivium usually say something along the lines of 'the clean vocals sound like boybands such as Busted or Westlife.' This is a pretty unfounded accusation, since there are quite a lot of singers who have similar voices. Personally, I find the clean vocals really good, because they convey quite a lot of emotion. When coupled with some of the lyrics, they really create a powerful image. // 8

Overall Impression: I wouldn't go as far as to say that this album is the best release ever, but I'd definetely say it's up there among the best. While fans of heavier metal may not find Trivium even bearable, any metalcore fan will really enjoy this album. 01. The End Of Everything - this instrumental is a great way to kick things off with the album. It's soft with a piano playing the main theme. The only downside is that the piano riff repeats, which can get quite tedious if you've listened to the song a fair few times before. Nonetheless, it's ace. 02. Rain - you can really tell you're listening to Trivium with the 3 heavy chords blasted at you as soon as you turn this track on. It's a really good, memorable track, with the highlight being the clean part in the breakdown. Look out for the phrase starting with "swallow every blasphemy". The solo following is excellent too. It's a pretty harmonic moment. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings (Of Your Martyr) - perhaps the most famous Trivium song, the drum intro is instantly recognisable. Granted, it takes a few playings to really get into the track, but the song itself is pretty good. This song has its clean moments, but they are sung over a pretty heavy riff so you can't really tell. My highlight for this track is probably the defining drum introduction, it's present in some verses as well. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - for some reason this song always seems really forgettable to me. The intro's not particularly interesting, but once it kicks in it's a decent song. When stood alongside the other songs on the album, it comes across as a fairly mediocre song. However, the chorus is perhaps one of my most favourite in the whole album. I can't make out what he says but the lyrics are pretty emotional. 05. Ascendancy - title track from the album, this is perhaps my least favourite song from the whole record. You're probably wondering why I'm mad enough to dislike the title track the most, but I just think the song's quite sloppy. The chorus is clean; however the only vocal I really remember and like is a single word from the second line - 'bruise'. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - this track is my second favourite off the whole album, the first being the new 13th track, Washing Away Me In The Tides. Anyway, the track's really memorable, especially the introductory and verse double-bass drum beats. Interestingly, the track also has a pretty heavily-influenced dual role, with verse extensions, solos, and choruses being shared by the two guitairsts. Good points of this song include the extensions to the verse (the guitar harmonies), as well as the chorus. The guitar riff in the background has a pretty chug-chugging effect, and the vocals are shared by Heafy and Corey, the other guitarist. My highlight of the song, however, has to be the solo duet after the main solos are finished. After that, the song's got a pretty cool "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!" part which'll be a crowd-pleaser at gigs. 07. Like Light To The Flies - I seem to recall this being the first track written for Ascendancy. The track itself is pretty good, especially the chorus. The clean vocals come out really emotionally, and are perfectly harmonised with the backing track. The heavier parts in the verse are also pretty well put. My highlight is still the chorus, namely the lyrics. They're amazing. 08. Dying In Your Arms - this is a surpisingly short song. It starts with a different singer, I think it's the bassist since the guitarists have quite alike voices. Anyway, it's a pretty clean song, with only a few harsh vocals in it. I think a verse or two extra wouldn't have gone amiss, since the song's noticeable shorter than the other Trivium tracks, at only 2:52. 09. The Decieved - I don't know why, but I've never really listened to this song much. It's a pretty average song, you can tell Trivium were just trying to get filler stuff for the album. However, the guitar riff before the chorus is quite good (notice how most songs have good choruses), as well as the second part of the later choruses (where Heafy raises the pitch of his voice). 10. Suffocating Sight - the second shortest track on the album, it's not particularly one of my favourites. The chorus is good, yes, but the rest of the song seems so sloppy to me. I don't know why, but I've never really been able to get into this song. The breakdown near 2:17 (starting 'making its way inside...') as well as the distinct pinch harmonic is a redeeming factor, it really develops from here. If Trivium cut the rest of this song out and stuck the product onto the end of Dying In Your Arms, it'd be a nice long(er) song. 11. Departure - this track seems really long because of the slow tempo, but it's actually quite good. I like the clean vocals over the chugging riff, and I like the Slipknot-esque ohhhhhhh at 1:16 (and subsequent choruses). The 'distance yourself' part of later choruses is memorable, even though I can't make sense of the lyrics. 12. Declaration - filler. This track's noticeably longer than everything else; I think Trivium were just trying to beef up the total playing time of Ascendancy. While I'm a sucker for clean vocals, I don't like the 2 or 3 minute interlude halfway through the song. If Trivium were to take it out, they'd have a pretty good song. The interlude just drags the song's score down. 13. Washing Away Me In The Tides - this track's the bonus track on the re-release of Ascendancy. It's a really good song, with nice heavy verses and mellow choruses. Currently, it's my favourite song. I especially like the 'tiiiiides' in the chorus, when Heafy holds the note. The ending chorus also has an ongoing trill in the background, which I find pretty harmonising to the track. Interestingly, the solo also has a cowbell with the drums, perhaps to keep the guitarist in time due to the syncopation of the solo. This track's only barely longer than Suffocating Sight, but I really like it nonetheless. My highlight's definetely the chorus, you won't find clean vocals like that on any of the other Trivium tracks. Overall, the album's great. I'd certainly buy it again with no hesitation if I found it were lost, and I also have no hesitation in recommending it to you if you're interested. Get a few samples, you've got nothing to lose. Enjoy! // 9

Ascendancy Reviewed by: AngryGuitarist, on july 17, 2006

Sound: Trivium has an amazing sound, years from now this cd should be a metal classic. Great guitar work by Corey and Matt. Great drum beats, bass riffs are just as good. This CD is just metal. I disagree with those stupid sub-catogorize ex-emo metalcore wiht a dash of melodic death, what the heck, all I have to say is metal metal metal, a great CD. // 10

Lyrics: Matt heafy is a great singer. I love the various ways he sings, into nice Singing that any choir director would go nuts for, to Growling like an enraged moose. Matt heafy is a great lead singer, the lyrics are pretty good, The song "Like Light To The Flies" has some deep lyrics that you can tell they really thought about writing them. // 10

Overall Impression: This really doesn't compare to any other Cd's Matts voice is very unique. Corey and matt do make an amazing guitar duo. My favorite song from this CD would be, Declaration and Departure. Love 'em. I love every Song from this album. If it where stolen I would mug the person who stole it and tell him to buy me another 4 copies of that CD he stole from me. overall, this is a great metal album, if you are a fan of killswitch, Arch enemy, In flames, There is a Large chance that you will love this album also, buy it, it won't regret it. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: shugo449, on october 16, 2006

Sound: When I first bought this, I bought it because I subscribe to Guitar World and heard them play the middle riff on "Rain" on their Axendancy column video. I was blown away by that simple riff. I was blown away by it for some reason, and I thought the whole album was gonna be simple metal songs. Man, was I wrong! These guitarists, Corey Beaulieu and Matt Heafy, are amazing. They sound so much like Metallica and Megadeath in a good way. They shred amazingly and sometimes I think that they could out shred some pretty famous guys. Although singer Matt Heafy is screaming, this is a solid debut on Road Runner Records. I'll give you a short description of each song: 01. The End Of Everything - a simple intro song. 1:34 and chimming acoustic guitars playing classical things. Nothing good, nothing bad. 02. Rain - real cool and fast. Has an amazingly catchy riff in between pre-chorus and chorus, middle riff, and interlude lead. Real good and fast. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - a hit single, this is another fast and heavy one. It's real catchy and the chorus is so simple and concise you can't hate it. This is the only track with no singing and one of my favorites, too. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - pretty fast, but this isn't really that impresive. This one just sounds like another metal track. 05. Acsendancy - this song is pretty bland, up until the solo. After that, it's all pretty good. For a title track, it's not that amazing. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - this is the best song on the CD for sure. It takes out all the stops. Heavy slow riffs, fast riffs, screaming verses and choruses, sung interludes and two amazing solos followed by a awesome harmony. When you here this song, you will be awe struck. It's amazing. Buy the disk for this track alone. 07. Like Light To The Flies - this song doesn't flow very well. The verses are real fast and screamy and then it just gos into these slow sung chorus and slow solo. The solo gets good and fast though. Not that good, still. 08. Dying In Your Arms - the least screamy, this song is real short (2:52) and melodic but is a fun carefree one and has a cool fast solo and chorus. Pretty good. 09. The Deceived - real fast. Decent but this track is where the disk starts to become repeatative and not as creative. It still is a good one, though. 10. Suffocating Sight - this is like, pretty not good. Like, it is not that catchy and It could have easly been made a lot better. Not much to say about it. 11. Departure - cool slow intro lead and a nice solo, too. It is good, but doesn't stand out. It sounds a lot like a Three Days Grace song except with a solo. 12. Declaration - this one is probably the worst. Its intro is Departure's but faster and is asically the same song. // 10

Lyrics: A lot of these tracks hint at suicide and killing and depression, as a lot of metal tracks do. Every single track sings about killing, and a lot refrence to "Bleeding out the eyes". Some songs show some hope, such as The Decieved, Departure, and Declaration. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation is about promising a family to kill there abusive dad/husband if he ever lays a finger on them again (A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, My Promise If You Ever Lay A Finger). These lyrics are pretty creative though. They sing of a lot of things that are uncommon to hear and are overall pretty creative. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, Ascendancy is Trivium's best CD out there. The guitar parts of Matt and Corey are amazing, as well as bass by Paolo Gregolotto and druming by Traver Smith. I love all the guitar parts in here. That's what the whole focus is about. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy a new copy 'cause I already have two just in case! You have to buy this CD! // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: deathbat411, on october 19, 2006

Sound: Triviums sound returns in this album, Ascendancy. The album contains superfast metal riffs, amazing solos, and choruses you find yourself humming to in the shower. On top of this is a lot of screamo lyrics. and double bass pedal thundering in the background. Their sound, in my opinion labels them as the next Metallica. Their shredding is amazing in this album. // 10

Lyrics: The singer of Trivium combines cookie monster screamo lyrics and powerful normal lyrics I would compare to James Hetfield. Too bad for younger shredders, the lyrics are pretty dark, and might have their parents saying "No" to buying it. The screaming and normal singing go very good with the shredding guitars. // 9

Overall Impression: I love Ascendancy. I had never heard Trivium before but when my friend gave me a copy of Ascendancy I became an instant fan. I was hooked by song two, called "Rain", which later became one of my favorites. My other favorites include "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr", "Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation", "Dying In Your Arms", and last but not least "Declaration". This album also inspired me to write a few songs of my own. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2005

Sound: Just everything they done with this CD is innovative and stunning. The shred type solos are just so flipping good and the dual guitars fit in so nicely. I also like how both of the guitarists solo and not just one of them soloing while the other stays on rhythm the whole time. The switch up fits in real smoothly and the transitions are almost seemless. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics and singing styles are so diverse. From the intense hardcore style of singing which kinda reminded me of Lamb Of God in some parts to the clean voice similar to the singer of Sentenced, I love it all. // 10

Overall Impression: "Best investment of the year" were my first words after I overcame the awe that struck me after hearing the bands second song. This CD is more than worth buying, I went back and bought 3 more coppies, one extra for me incase the first one gets scratched in any way, and the other 2 to give to my friends who were about to mary Trivium's first CD. The inspiration for this band comes from so many places. Every song is amazing from the album, overall "Light Light To Flies," "A Gun Shot To The Head Of Trepidation," and "Departure" are my favorite songs. The solos in "Light Light To Flies" and "A Gun Shot To The Head Of Trepidation" stunned me and the singing from "Departure" shows how much better he has gotten at singing. This band is gonna revolutionize the metal world. Don't copy this CD for your friend who doesn't feel like buying it, tell them that they have to go grab a copy and support the band; I wanna see these guys rocking on for years to come. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2005

Sound: The sound quality on this album is absouletly superb. The first track, the end of everything, has a suitanly neo classical black - metally feel. A brilliant track with no distortion, just a piano, choir, and a clean guitar. The only track I dislike is dying in your arms as it treads a bit too close to the emo land for my liking. // 10

Lyrics: I have looked inside the lyric book that came with the album to read the lyrics as they are not so clear just listening to them by ear because of Matt Heafys' growling. A gunshot to the head of trepidation has a spine chilling chorus and an instantly rememborable melody. Matt Heafy growls but also has an amazing singing voice, fusing anger and other emotions. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the first trivium album I have bought (there is only one other). I am just getting into metal now, and I think this is a great introduction to the black arts. Cory Beaulieu has established himself to be one of my favourite guitarists - an amazing guitarist. This album has really made me want to get faster in my playing. Oh well time to upgrade my Fender Tele then. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: legions, on october 19, 2005

Sound: I was very impressed by this CD, the guitar is absolutely superb and dazzling, it's amazing that the lead singer/guitarist is only 19. This is definitly a metalcore CD, but it is so much better than most. the guitar work just can't be matched, the solo's are crazy they change a lot like going from major to minor scales, it gives it all a really good sound. Ascendancy is a definite must have for all metal fans. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written, well they go with the music and they fit. The vocals are pretty good, I don't care for Matt's screaming (it's more like shouting), but his singing is pretty damn good. // 10

Overall Impression: This album blows away the competition of the other bands in this genre. It is metalcore, but it has a lot of straight up metal influences and you can really tell. I would have to say the most impressive songs are "Ascendancy" and "Like Light To The Flies" I absolutely love this CD. The only thing I dont like is his yeling style screams. But his clean voice is great so it shouldnt bother any metal fans. if this CD were lost or stolen I wold immediatly go buy it again, without even thinking or giving time for hesitation, it's a splendid masterpiece. Go get it today. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: Horvat, on november 26, 2005

Sound: Compared to Trivium's first album, the band's overall sound has greatly improved. Ember To Inferno showcased their talents as a generic metal band, something that you could enjoy listening to, but the sound was not particularly memorable. Ascendancy, on the other hand, is many leaps forward. Their sound is clearly defined on this album. You could hear a snippet of any song and immediately know that it is these guys playing it. In brief, the songs stand out much more. Ascendancy has its own distinctive style; fast-paced metal with elements of hardcore, death metal, and thrash. Even though it HAS been done before, I have yet to hear anyone do it like Trivium. The addition of singing in many of the songs complements the heavy guitar and drum work. It is good to hear some singing for a change, and it definitely adds to their originality. If you have heard their previous album, you will definitely notice then that this CD is much better quality sound-wise. Production is crystal clear (you can hear the guitars very clearly even though the drums are pounding away furiously), and all the songs have been arranged together very flowingly. The bass could have been turned up a bit more though, but you can still hear it in most parts. One minor 'flaw', you could say, is that a few songs sound quite similar. But listen to them over a few times and you'll notice they each have their own style and theme. Overall, Ascendancy has a unique sound that will surely give Trivium much recognition and respect in the metal community. // 8

Lyrics: "It's our curse that makes this world so hopeless, allowing our king to spread his genocidal wings." Statement-type lyrics like this appear frequently on Ascendancy. If you listen carefully, many of the songs bear strong messages on life and the world: from self-growth to conformist society to war, these kinds of issues are presented. The lyrics are actually quite intelligent, compared to a lot of other bands who simply repeat a few simple sentences without any real meaning. "I am but a farce, a satire of stability. Insecurity is an uphill struggle, it's me versus the world." Lyrics like these are presented in many songs. They are semi-cryptic, though most of the time you can guess what they are about. The singer enforces these messages through screaming, growling, and singing. Much of the angry sentences are conveyed with screaming and yelling, whilst the sadder or softer parts are usually sang. The singer has a good screaming voice, kind of like a rough yell, though it does become a tad monotonous at times, and he could try a few different type of screaming to make it a bit more interesting. His singing voice is excellent, adding melody and harmony to many songs. Whatever anyone might say, just because he sings as well as screams does not make the band as a whole soft or not 'heavy'. Its actually quite refreshing to hear. All in all, both the different vocal types and the well-composed lyrics are great on this album, and they definitely contrast well with the instruments playing behind them. // 8

Overall Impression: As Trivium has time and time again been labelled metalcore (though I'd say and many would agree they are more just metal), they have often been compared to other metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold. Trivium does not surpass either of these bands, but they definitely do not lag behind. Simply put, they bring something new to the scene, a sound that is cool and unique. Though all the tracks are good, the songs to look out for are: "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr," "Rain," "Drowned And Torn Asunder" and "Like Light To The Flies." Though some of the them are similar, they all bring something different to the album. The thing I probably love most is the awesome guitar work on this CD. The guitarists definitely know how to play, and there are solos on almost every song. Both rhythm and lead parts are interesting, and they integrate the two flawlessly. Vocals come a close second. I really like the mixture of yelling and singing, heavy and soft. Ascendancy has very few actual flaws. Some songs sound a bit similar, and the screaming does get a bit repetitive at times, but in general these flaws do not occur hugely often. If you like metal, be that any type of metal, Trivium's Ascendancy is definitely a good album to hear. It is NOT hardcore at all, neither is it really 100% metalcore. It is mostly just metal, with its own originality and style. Good for all metalheads. Some have named Trivium the new Metallica, though I think this is a bit untrue at this stage. The guys definitely have much potential to become great like Metallica, but at the moment, not all the elements are there yet. Ascendancy definitely is a great CD, but their future albums will need much more if they wish to be as powerful as Metallica. Overall, Ascendancy is a great metal album, something really worth listening to. Some aspects need a bit of working on, but on the whole it is really good. If it got stolen I would buy it over and over again. Two thumbs up from me. // 9

Ascendancy Reviewed by: lespaulmaniac, on january 12, 2006

Sound: This is the first real metal album in my collection, and I think it's a really good first one to get me really into the whole metal scene. The riffs are mind blowing, the drums are fast and loud (and that's how I like it), the solos really make you want to headbang. I don't have anything wrong with this album at all. // 10

Lyrics: The singer does a really good job of "balancing" between screaming and singing. He does amazing at both of those too. These lyrics go right along with the song, and the mood of the song. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, this is my real metal album, and I hope that every metal band has at least one thing in common with this band, and with that alone they'll be a great band. I have no complaints with this at all. If I ever got this CD stolen from me, I'd have to find the motherf--ker who took it from me, rip his throat out, and then take back my CD. Keep up the good work guys! // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 04, 2006

Sound: Trivium's first album "Ember To Inferno" was good, but it wasn't special, since then the band has become much tighter, and have found their sound; and they sound brilliant. Not just brilliant, they sound imense. Their so enjoyable to listen to, vocally, lyricly and musicly. Their sound is complex, rich, loud, and often subtle, you truely here every last note. Their guitar playing is a treat to the senses, and you anticipate every solo, and riff. The title of the band describes their style: Trivium means, an intersection between thrash metal, death metal and ordinary metal. Plus a hell of a lot of harmonization. Which all makes for one sweet cookie. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Heafy's vocals are what drew me to the band in the first instance. He masterfully bounces back and fourth between vocal harmonization and rasping death metal vocals; this complex vocal arrangment makes for one hell of a ride, truely astounding. I find that vocals are very important, and I think that to many bands today have great music, but weak vocals that don't carry the band. Matt Heafy's vocals are very distinctive, if not unique, and in this way he carries Trivium, not that Trivium requires carrying. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a thrash metal fan, and Metallica are my favourite band. I am not going to compare Trivium to Metallica in a musical sence, but for me Trivium are as original as Metallica were 20 odd years ago. For me Trivium are the best band for at least a decade, and it will probably take a further decade to find a band that can even think about rivaling them. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: DawnClover, on march 14, 2006

Sound: First of all I'd like to say I had heard of this band a lot but never got the feeling "I really need to hear it." I heard wonders of them and one beautiful day a friend of mine borrowed it to me so I could listen, so I got home, putted the blessed album inside my stereo and I blew my freaking hears off while listening to this wonderful album. In 1 hour Trivium became one of my favorite bands along with Slipknot, Metallica and some other great artists. So, I gave the CD back to my friend and hurried to my local store and bought it (I wanted their first album too, but it wasn't there). First thing I noticed when I listened to it was the mix of various styles of music and singing. Matt sings beautifully and screams also beautifully wich makes his voice completely perfect and great to hear. Defenitly one of my favorite vocalists. Guitar riffs are killing. The solos completely blow me up and the only thing I can do is air guitar and look like a complete freak. I really need to learn them on the guitar, awesome. Drums are great, they flow really well with the guitars. The bass could be more worked though, it's too basic (I can't say much I can't play bass) but it sounds good like this. Well, I've been Trivium'ed. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. They vary a lot and don't speak solely of violence and stuff like many bands like these do, it goes through a lot of topics like child abuse (A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation), etc. So, I'll give this a 10, because they deserve it. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. The End Of Everything - this song abuses, it's a freaking great intro. It's creepy and beautiful at the same time. Great sound. 02. Rain - all I can say is "Oh my God!" while listening to this song. It's so powerful. Riffs are great and the drums (specially in the end) freaking rock. The chorus is really addictive, and when I heard the CD for the first time, this was the first time I heard Matt sing, and I was blown away, his voice is perfect - this is what I realized. I could listen to this song over and over. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - the riffs for this song match beautifully with the drums, it gives the song a really great sound, and the chorus, the chorus is so great. It's our curse, that makes this world so hopeless, allowing our king to spread his genocidal wings. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - only thing I think could be a little more worked would be the drums for the first riffs, they sound a bit too slow compared to the guitars, but I'm not complaining anymore, the song kicked yay. This song is really agressive and the lyrics are freaking great. I love the singing parts, specially the chorus, it's really beautiful. 05. Ascendancy - never did I hear a title track so perfect like this. This has to be one of the most agressive songs on the album, and yet one of the best! Trivium, you've done it again! Ascend above the ashes. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - the beginning of this song kicks so much ass, I couldn't belive it when I heard it. I gives such and "authority" (couldn't describe it any other way) sound to the song that completely blew my freaking head off. Yes I like to use the word freaking. Also, this has to be the song with the greatest lyrics. They talk about child abuse and it really made me think about it. Great job Trivium. 07. Like Light To The Flies - when I heard the album the first time, when I listened to this song I could only think "Wow, I've heard this before!" and then I remembered the movie "The Cave" and I remembered how crazy I was trying to know wich band played that song and finally I was listening to it. The singing parts of this song are so beautiful I could even cry, it really wraps me and takes me to another dimenson (I think this sounded a little philosophic, but who cares). 08. Driving In Your Arms - the only full (almost) singed song on the album, and I'm not complaining, this song is completely perfect, only thing: it's too short. 09. The Deceived - I was a little destracted by something else when I was listening to this song for the first time, so when I noticed it was playing, the chorus was playing and I thought "Wow" so, that's what I'm gonna say to describe this song: "Wow." 10. Suffocating Sight - my favorite song on the whole album (well, I love them all, but heck I listen to this song like 10 times before continuing to listen to the rest of the album). This song is track of perfectioness (does this word even exist). 11. Departure - great agressive song. The guitar riffs are so catchy. When I listen to it they keep playing on my head. 12. Declaration - the riffs for this song are something else are they from this world? Because I never heard something like this. Congratulations Trivium, you've made a perfect album. Trivium/Ascendancy has to be one of the most perfect albums I've ever heard. There is no song I don't like, so when I listen to the album, I listen it all the way through again and again. I have it on my mp3 player and when I buy their first album, so will it be. If I would buy it again if it were lost/stolen? Of course! I can't live without this album. Trivium thanks for the great time I have listening to your music. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: mer_der_noms, on march 16, 2006

Sound: My first impression was "Great, another crappy hardcore band." But I was surprised at how much talent and originality this band posessed. They seemed to fuse thrash metal bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and some slight Slayer with Hardcore stylings like those of As I Lay Dying and Darkest Hour and created "Thrashcore" if you count that as a genre and in my opinion pulled it off marvelously. The guitar playing is simply astounding for them being as young as they are. Matt and Coreys sound blends seemlessly with one another and it just seems as if they're trying to captivate you in theyre music. Like Light to the Flies is a good example. The slower paced bridge leading up into the solo is so captivating I loose myself in it everytime. // 9

Lyrics: His vocals are just so refreshing. It's amazing that he can have such a full and rich melodical voice and also a harsh and crisp growl/scream. His vocals really fit the band and bring that much more to the already outstanding results. His songs seem to flow smoothly with the lyrics like nothing was forced; that it all came from inspiration. His lyrics differenciate from song to song and stray away from the same topic or words used and really makes good use of vocabulary and original lyrics. In their songs they used topics that differ from child and spousal abuse to the media blowing everything out of proportions and exaggerating everything they see and hear. // 10

Overall Impression: The whole cd is overall very impressive and to be honest probably one of my best buys in a long time. The whole CD is impressive but the songs that stick out most are Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr, Ascendancy, Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, Like Light To The Flies And Declaration. I love how it reinvents the Hardcore sound with Thrash influences and blends them perfectly as one. Only bad thing about the CD is that after listening to it a few times it can get old fast but if you stop listening to it for a couple of weeks or so then start back it's almost even more addicting. If I lost my copy I would go and buy 2 more; one for listening to and taking with me and another to keep incase I loose the first one. Definetly a great band. I would watch for them this year as I'm already anticipating their new album. // 9

Ascendancy Reviewed by: BlackMist, on april 05, 2006

Sound: Ascendancy, the album that launched Trivium into the heavy/modern metal spot-light world-wide. The whole album plays and sounds like Metallica with a mix of Killswitch Engage guitar licks and Pantera lyrics. If metal's your thing, there will be something in Ascendancy for everyone, whether its from the well harmonised solo in Like Light To Flies, or the pure chunky, distorted intro in Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr. The best thing about Ascendancy is the proof that Trivium have grown since Ember to Inferno, not only in their abilities to play well, but as personalities too. Trivium now really sound like metal gods. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Heafy presents a lot of the vocals in Ascendancy with gutsy shouting in an all out metal fashion. It has to be said, however, that this form of presentation of lyrics can be a little hard to understand and perhaps slightly repetetive as the album goes on. The fashion the lyrics are written in is pure greatness, as they can translate to many meanings, making the songs mean something to you. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, the way Trivium have grown up, this album really beats Ember To Inferno, and is definatly a top notch metal album. A must listen to is Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr for its catchy guitar licks and ballsy lyrics, and the Like Light to Flies solo for a fantastic bluesy/metal instant classic, supported by some great backing chords. I have only one nag about the album, and that is the singing. Matt Heafy tends to scream a slight part too much, but that is a minor flaw. This is a fantastic album. If you like your metal, go out and buy this, now! // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: vodkaboy, on april 08, 2006

Sound: Amazing. Purely amazing. Trivium really do have a unique style. I really enjoyed this album but I thought that the first track 'The End of Everything' was a bit pointless, that it dragged on a bit, and that it kind of ruined the Trivium effect. But other than that I thought the album was brilliant. // 9

Lyrics: Matt Heafy has given a great performance. I think it's cool the way he can just sing so aggressively, and then suddenly switch to singing normally. Some of the lyrics didn't make sense though, for example in 'Like Light To Flies' the bit before the chorus it says 'those who rock, will be...' Ok I can never work out what the last word of that line is, but it sounds alot like he says bought? // 8

Overall Impression: The first song I ever heard by Trivium was 'Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr' and it made a huge impression on me, with that mental drum fill at the start you can tell that the song is going to be good. I got the album after hearing that song and theres one thing that annoys me about it, there is finger tapping in every solo and I can't finger tap so I can't play it. but any way great album. // 9

Ascendancy Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 28, 2006

Sound: Thrash metal had died in 1992 after the release of "Vulgar Display Of Power" by Pantera and "Countdown to Extinction" by Megadeth. Many thought that thrash metal would never make a return. But then along came this cocky Floridan Band with plans of world domination and the might Metallica imprinted into their brain cells. Riffs that make you stand up a stare in awe of them. Solos that make people green with envy and choruses that make the masses fall to thier knees in utter disbelif. This is a truly revolutionary record that has changed the world on the level of "Appietite For Destruction" or "Number Of The Beast." // 10

Lyrics: They are not quite perfect but some of them, for example: The Decieved, Like Light to Flies, Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr and Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation are all genius lyrics that sound like many years of work has been put into these songs. But as with every record there are some lyrical low points. The Title Track is not all that brilliant except for the brillinat chorus "Acsend above the ahes of the world I once knew" and "Suffocating Sight" isn't the best by any means. Matt Heafy has a very versitile voice, he can sing and scream without one over powering the other. // 9

Overall Impression: Some say that Trivium copy the mighty In Flames but In Flames don't write Thrash Metal, Trivium do and I beleive that they are just as good if not better than In Flames. The album starts with a cool acoustic intro thingy called "The End Of Everything" that is very impressive although makes no sense next to the resr of the album. There is a special edition of the album comming out with a couple of new songs which are Blinding Tears Will Breas The Skies and Washing Me Away With The Tides. The Best Tracks are Rain, Pull Harder, Gunshot, Like Light to Flies, The Deieved, Departure and Declarartion. They are true Thrash Metal gems, already classics with enormous riffs, huge solos, cool lyrics and in the case of Declaration, totally and completly epic. This album has lead to the return of Metal, if you like Metal but Ignore this, more fool you. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: xXcriesinvainXx, on may 08, 2006

Sound: I'm a big heavy metal person and Trivium is the band that I listen to the most out of all of the bands I know. This whole CD is fantastic it has everything from the heavy songs like Suffocating Sight to the more slowed down songs like Dying In Your Arms. Even with all the bands I know today there is not a band that reminds me of Trivium. They are one of the most unique bands that you can always tell if it's them or someone else you hear when ever you hear a song. Matt and Corey are one of the best duos I've ever heard with guitar from the duets to the duet solos. And the drums and the bass follow up everything else so nicely. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. they talk about all the problems people have today from the government and with Dying In Your Arms problems with love all the way to contemplating suicide with Departure. Another thing that makes them unique is when Matt isn't screaming he has so many other singing voices that he uses in all of Trivium's songs. I personally don't think I would like Trivium that much if they didn't sing every once in a while and with all his different voices he has it sounds great. And the lyrics and his singing go so nicely with the music. Every song has its own flow with it and the singing matches every song. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD ranks at the top of my list. This is a CD that in 5 years I'll still pop it in my CD player and listen to the whole thing starting with the first track. With there new CD coming out The Crusade Trivium has a lot of expectations and I highly doubt they will disappoint all of there loyal fans. My favorite songs on this album are of course Ascendancy, Suffocating Sight, Departure, Dying In Your Arms, and Pull Harder On Strings Of Your Martyr but I love every single song on this album including the opening track The End Of Everything. If this CD were stolen I would buy a new one, find the person who stole it, brutally murder them, and get it back. And for anyone reading this who hasn't heard this CD it will not dissapoint you. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2006

Sound: The sound quality is really good in this album. the lyrics, guitars, and drums are awesome. The only thing I think that could've been better was the bass. I think in their new albums to come, Paulo needs to step up and make some better stuff. Another thing that could have been better was the length of some of the songs and guitar solos. Matt and Corey play omage to the great guitarists of the '80s and '90s. Guitarists such as Dimebag Darrell and Randy Rhoads would have been proud. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics Matt Heafy writes are really deep. He writed straight from the heart and isn't afraid of what people think about them. The lyrics really fit the music styles of Trivium. However, in some parts, I feel as if Matt Heafy really did not have to scream as much as he did. He really has a great voice and needs to use it more. // 9

Overall Impression: This album in my opinion is slightly better than Ember To Inferno, because of the growth of the band. The most impressive songs in this album are A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, Rain, Acsendancy, Like Light To The Flies, and Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr. I love the siging and guitar playing. The drumming also blew me away. If it were stolen or lost I would not go by the original version, I would buy the rereleased version, because it has the remastered cover of Master Of Puppets. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: risk, on may 20, 2006

Sound: The greatest part of this album is the sound. The riffs, solos etc. It's one big metalfest which is great. 01. End Of Everything - amazing opener. The sheer mellowness of the song leads you into a false sense of security making you think that this album will be calm and mellow and then they hit you with. 02. Rain - this is the first song to give you a great example of Triviums sound. It gives you a first glance of Triviums guitar and drum skills, setting you up for the rest of the album. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Matyr - this is the first song I heard by Trivium and it blew me away. I thought "wow Kerrang is actually playing decent stuff." Great song, the solo is awesome and its ne of my most memorable riffs to date. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - this is one of my favourite songs from the album. The chorus is quite catchy and then come the solo traits which are just amazing. Absolutely great. 05. Ascendancy - the title track is one of the best in my opinion. The harmonies and the catchy chorus create one of the best songs on the album. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - this song absolutely blew me away. The interludes fit exactly into the song and then the huge solo which is amazing. One of Triviums proudest moments. 07. Like Light To The Flies - another one of Trivium's greatest. The solo is one of the best on the album besides gunshot to the head. It has an amazing fast riff in it and the song calms right down at the chorus. Masterpiece. 08. Dying In Your Arms - probably the softest song on the album. I didn't like the solo as much as the rest on the album but it is a very catchy song. 09. The Decieved - here's another one of my favourite. Very catchy chous ("We are the decieved, lost in the foreseen") hell yeah. Solo is amazing too. 10. Suffocating Sight - I think this is one of the heaviest songs. And I love the Still Remains type scream before the solo. Solo is a bit short though but it fits exactly with the song so there's no need to make it any longer. 11. Departure - I haven't listened to this song too much but it's very different to the whole album which I like. Theres even an acoustic part. The vocals are a bit different some places too. 12. Declaration - again haven't listened to it too much but its a really good closer. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Heafy being a very educated man has came up with great lyrics. From evil tyrants on "Pull Harder..." to domestic abuse on "Gunshot..." the album deals with lots of issues in society today and Matt displays it in the songs perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of my favourite records in my collection and one of the most played. The best songs in my opinin are "Drowned And Torn Asunder" and "Ascendancy". I love every bit of the album and there is nothing I dislike. If it was stolen/lost I'd probably go and buy the specail edition of it instead. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: Celticknife, on june 22, 2006

Sound: Trivium has been called the future of metal music, and after listening to Ascendancy a few times, it's fairly easy to see why. Trivium are a very young band who fuse a many different musical styles together to produce an album that simply blows Ember To Inferno, and most other metal cds out of the water. // 9

Lyrics: Most of the singing on Ascendancy is metalcore-style screaming done by Matt Heafy, complemented by more melodic singing by the other members, fits the music very well and even though Trivium could easily be viewed as a Metalcore band, they do incorporate many styles into their music (including in the vocal department). The lyrics deal with many different subjects, most of which I'm not particularly interested in because I'm too busy listening to the fantastic guitar work. // 8

Overall Impression: Ascendancy is Trivium's second album, and it absolutely blows Ember To Inferno away with it's unique sound and style. Though Ascendancy is not a perfect album, it is a very good one and if Trivium keep improving on this, they may yet live up to the predictions that they will be the "Next Metallica" and "The Future Of Metal". My favourite tracks on the album are definately Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr, Ascendancy, A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, Like Light To Flies and Dying In Your Arms. This album was well worth importing (as I couldn't find it anywhere in New Zealand), and if I lost it I would order two more without hesitation. // 9

Ascendancy Reviewed by: boyan89, on december 09, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is just absolutely astonishing and Trivium are talented at what they do with their instruments. The guitars on this album are just absolutely insane and Corey and Matt are just amazing guitar players and they really do show it on this album, with solos in every song it's just absolutely amazing. The drums on this album are pretty sweet and they have a drum intro to one song (Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr) and Travis is one skilled drummer I'll tell you that much not one second I am being bored by his drumming skills. The bass on this album was amazing and Paolo is amazing on the bass I swear he is one skilled dude and he just amazes me everytime I hear it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics where do I even begin man. Matt Heafy is one talented vocalist I will tell you that much right now. His lyrics are absolutely insane some being about abuse, politics, or it can be emotional heartfelt lyrics like "Dying In Your Arms" which is a beautiful song and has an amazing solo. I really enjoy the screaming that Matt does and when Corey does the screaming in songs too it sounds absolutely amazing, but I'm kind of glad they moved away from screaming on their 3rd album (The Crusade). // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artists because well I am telling you guys Trivium are the future of f--king heavy metal baby and I can't wait to hear more stuff from these guys. I don't have any favourite songs although their are 2 that really appealed to me and they are " A Gunshot To The Head of Trepidation" and "Departure" because the solos in those songs are insane especially AGTTHOF which has like 4 solos I swear to god. I love everything about this album and there is nothing I am being honmeest right here, from the opening beautiful track of "The End Of Everything" through to "Declarition" this CD kicks complete ass. If it were stolen/lost I will like charge to the store I swear to god this band kicks ass and they are the future of metal I mean it.So I would recommend this to CD to anyone but if you listen to pussy music don't bother because it wont suit you! // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: DimeZakk9304, on february 19, 2007

Sound: The first time I heard this band, I thought to myself this is heavy(the first track Rain). But When I went more in depth into the CD I found lot's of variations. Such as a love song, thrash song and the rest could be compared to the bands first album. The duo of Matt Heafy and Corey Beaulieu could be the most prolific guitarists of their time. Gathering influences such as Dimebag, Kirk and James(Metallica), and Dave Mustaine. // 10

Lyrics: Matt ranges his voice all over the place. From screaming to singing very soft which is a very good fit to him. The Lyrics as far as I'm concerned are just fukin' awesome. Like " a gunshot to the head of trepidation, my promise if you ever lay a finger" and "behold our beloved revels in tragedy, Self-denying avarice for bloodshed, behold hypocrite." // 10

Overall Impression: The album is Trivium. Period. Although it sometimes hint's at early Metallica it is purely Trivium. I love Like light To The Flies, Rain, Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr, and A Gunshot To the Head of Trepidation. Some other notables are the Deceived, Dying In Your Arms, Drownded And Torn Asunder, Asendancy, and Declaration. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is amazing. The guitars are great along with the bass. The drums fit perfectley in there and really add a lot to the album. The thing that impressed me most about this album was the amazing guitars. They had great riffs and it was really heavy. They had solos in almost every song which was really cool. They took this album and really stepped it up from "Ember to Inferno." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were just really amazing. Matt writes the best lyrics in my opinion. He puts such meaning into his songs which adds a lot to this album. The songs on this album that really stood out to me are, "Ascendancy" "Dying in your Arms" and "A gunshot to the head of Tripidation". "Ascecdancy" was just a really awesome song because it had a really cool meaning to it and it had and awesome chorus. "A Gunshot..." was just a really cool song because it was kind of like a mosher song. And finally "Dying in you Arms" just had a great meaning to the song and extremeley awesome guitars to back it up. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I would say this is one of Trivium's best albums. It has great lyrics, awesome guitar sonuds, and the music and the lyrics fit so perfectley together. If you get the CD with all the bonus tracks on it, there is Trivium's cover of "Master Of Puppets" and it was incredible. I didn't think Trivium would be able to pull it off but they made it sound almost exactley like Metallica's version. If this CD was lost or stolen I would deffinatley go out and buy it again. This is such a great album and you should go out and buy it, because Trivium really needs peoples help. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: Phoenix322, on april 23, 2007

Sound: Trivium is, in my opinion, what thrash metal should sound like. Every song has intense riffs, sick solos, and a range from screaming and singing. They also have heavy verses are usually more melodic chorus which isn't by any means original, but they do it better than any other band I've heard including Bullet For My Valentine. They are talented all the way along the board. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are cliche but good nonetheless. It's exactly what you'd expect from a band like Trivium and they don't have anything extremely complex or anything really that really pulls them apart from the competition. Like I said, they are good but honestly, I can name plenty of bands who blow them away. On a better note, the vocals are simply flawless. It's the perfect versatility of screaming and singing. // 8

Overall Impression: 01. The End Of Everything - a subtle intro. Slightly boring if you ask me. Good have been better. 02. Rain - good one. This is one of their better written ones lyrically. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - great song. The lyrics are akward. The choice of topic for this song is one that's rather unique to say the least. Still a enigma to me what they are exactly trying to say. Beasty solos. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - another great one. One of the better written ones but one of the least popular it seems. Badass chrous riff. One of my favs. 05. Ascendancy - perfect song to represent the album. In my opinion this song has the best lyrics on the album. Though it does seem to be sort of drawn on out, can't complain. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - another song with a "unique" choice for lyrics. With that said, I don't care for them at all. Not something I can relate to and lacks anything stand out. But the rest of the song is absolutely fantastic. Gotta love the solos and the "Hey" bridge. 07. Like Light To The Flies - the riffs in the verses remind of "Master Of Puppets" by Metallica for some reason(Trivium's MoP cover is flawless btw). The lyrics are lacking here, as well as the drums. Nothing special about it, but still damn good. 08. Dying In Your Arms - most people I've encountered who know of Trivium, know of them for this song which is by far their most popular to date. It's a nice change from the heavy vocals and more of a melodic sound to it and it's too catchy to be legal. I love the solo in this song as well, one of my favorites. Decent lyrics. The only draw back is the drums and the song is less than 3 minutes long. 09. The Deceived - sounds like most of the songs pushed together and out came this. It has a bit of everything. As redundant as this sounds, again great solo. Should have been a little shorter (5 mins+) since it's not particularly impressive. 10. Suffocating Sight - this song was weird to me, doesn't sound like anything else on the album. Drums are good here. The lyrics are unclear and are kind of empty. The chorus makes this song good, very catchy. 11. Departure - another one of my favorites. Slighly slower than most of the album. Lyrics again aren't noteworthy. Wouldn't stick out to most, but I personally think it's great. 12. Declartion - yet another good one here. Not a whole lot to say about it except I feel it's too long (7 mins) and if you haven't noticed, unless it's an amazing song, I don't care for extra length. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: TriviumFinch285, on may 14, 2007

Sound: Ascendancy is one of Trivium's best albums to date. Every song on the album is laden with shredding solos that involve sweep picking and other extreme guitar techniques. Matt and Corey really brought their A-Game for this record. Harmony solos are all over the record. One notable solo is "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation", in which Corey begins with a blinding shred lick and matt comes in after with his wah pedal screaming! They then proceed with heartfelt arpeggios until the exciting end of the solo commences. Another great song is "Like Light To Flies" where some serious heavy handed thrashing goes on! But even then, Trivium is always ready to change the tables with a smooth solo and ending. The same goes for the song Rain. My only complaint is that there really isnt much going on for the bass in this record, but when it does show it's very well worth it. // 9

Lyrics: Matt's vocals are immense. His screaming voice shows deep agony while his singing voice sounds like a speaker in a crowd. Oddly enough his voice is reminiscent of a very young James Hetfield. The lyrics are amazing and they make Matt's points clear. Some of his best lyrical work on the album is Like Light To Flies and Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr. // 10

Overall Impression: Definitely their best work so far. outstanding everything. And it keeps you listening even after your 50th listen! Everything seems to fall in place with all of the music and it's very well accompanied by the death metal growl of Matt Heafy and the precise double bass work of Travis Smith. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: miggajigg, on july 16, 2007

Sound: The band has a modern metal sound with heavy guitars, a hell of a lot of double kick drum, and very technical riffs and out of this world solos. It's from roadrunner, who is pretty much the metal record label. I first heard one of their tracks at a Guitar Center, and couldn't find it, till I played the Sims 2 (song featured: Like light to the flies). Trivium is heavily influenced by Metallica, Megadeth, Dream theater, malmsteen, iron maiden, vai, satch, pantera, and many other '80s and '90s metal and rock bands. // 9

Lyrics: Matt Heafy's lyrics are not your typical metal lyrics. Besides only talking about death, (like most bands) he writes about child abuse, freedom of speach, sexuality, etc., racism, tyranical elemsnts, and other things. The lyrics along with Matt And Corey (guitarist's) heavy riffs go like peas in as pod, they form together and the vocals add to the already advanced and technical music. Matt Heafy does quite a bit of "screaming" on this album, and I think has a great scream sound unlike all these other bands that do it, very unique. He sings almost every chorus tho, with a very Hetfeildish sound and has quite a bit of range on songs, Pull Harder..., the deceived, and departure. // 10

Overall Impression: Sounds a bit like trivium's first album (duh.) but they have similar guitar work to bands like Testament, Himsa, and Lamb Of God, but the vocals and music overall can compare to the likes of Killswitch Engage, and other post hardcore bands. My favorite songs are Ascendancy, and Declaration, all tho all the songs are completely awesome. I love everything, hate nothing. I would be twelve and keep 2 safely hidden in a safe under lock and key. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: GuitarHero_jp, on july 04, 2008

Sound: The first ever Trivium song I heard was Dying in Your Arms. And I thought is was absolutely amazing! I wanted to hear some more and I heard Pull Harder and I knew I had to get it. It was definitely worth the money. The End of Everything starts the album softly and then bursts into Rain. Perfect. The songs all have the trademark Trivium sound. Screaming turning into soft singing which works perfectly. The riffs and solos absolutely blew me away. The best riff on the album I think would be Rain but my favorite solo(s) are A Gunshot To The Head, some brilliant harmonies, influenced by Iron Maiden. A great original metal sound. // 9

Lyrics: I couldn't hear the lyrics at first because of Matt's scream. But once I read them I thought they are very clever songwriters. My favorite lyrics are Pull Harder, about torturing someone into beliefs. The lyrics in A Gunshot are based on child abuse and stopping it. People may think that screaming means that you can't sing. 1. Screaming is difficult and 2. Matt is a great singer when he does sing. Dying in your arms is a change to the other songs because it only has a small section of screaming and it is mainly singing. Departure is mainly singing but has more screams than Dying in Your Arms. // 8

Overall Impression: This has to be one of the best Trivium albums ever! There are no songs I don't like on this album. The Deceived and Declaration took me some getting into but now I love them! // 9

Ascendancy Reviewed by: AdamDK, on august 12, 2008

Sound: The sound on the album is fantastic. I love the tone from both Matt and Corey's guitars on this album (I believe they used JCM2000's when recording this album). The riffs are very creative, and have very sentimental moods in some songs. Also, as on Ember to Inferno, Matt is screaming and there is some signing added in there. This album is personally one of the definitive albums of metalcore. My favourite two songs of this album are "A Gunshot To The Head of Trepidation" and "Like Light To The Flies". // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are pretty good in my opinion, and they all have some good meanings. The lyrics also flow well with the songs and their moods. And in terms of Matt Heafy's skill when singing/screaming, well, I love the screaming, he has a fantastic voice when screaming, and also is a good singer, although he sounds very much like James Hetfield. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is definitely a must have for any Trivium fan. It's their best album to date in my opinion, and it is also generally speaking a great metalcore album. Like mentioned, the screaming is top notch, and the riffs are great. The album flows fantastically, and is a really good album to listen to. I'd definitely buy this album again if it were stolen. I really do reccommend this album to fans of metal/metalcore too. // 9

Ascendancy Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2009

Sound: This album. This album is possible one of the best metalcore albums if not THE metalcore album. It is filled to the brim with amazing riffs, great hooks and mind melting solos, all of which are ingredients for an amazing metal album, which it is. Along with The Blackening and Ashes of the Wake it is one of the best metal albums of the last decade (IMO). // 9

Lyrics: Matt Heafy's lyrics can be amazing, for example The Decieved "Behold your fellow man/Through centuries of torment", or they can be pretty mediocre, fore example Dying in Your Arms "You poisoned my life/So I'll take this knife/And I'll cut you out" but all in all the album is pretty strong lyric wise. Onto his vocals, his screams are quite unique and strange sounding also (they often sound like inhales). The harsh vocals that began to develop on this album are infamous for being like James Hetfields. What? They don't sound much like James' vocals and they were inspired by Robb Flynn. Moving on, his clean vocals can sometimes be weak but for the most part they are great and on "Departure" in particular his clean vocals are fantastic. // 9

Overall Impression: The End of Everything: A short piano played intro. Much like "Last Rites" on Megadeth's "Killing is My Business... " it braces us for the awesomeness that is about to begin. 01.Rain: Blasting forth with a strong punch-in-the-face riff this song sets the bar quite high for the rest of the album but Matt and co. Continue to reach it and often surpass it. 02.Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr: Travis opens the song with a short dose of awesomeness which continues to build as the rest of the band joins in. By the time Matt's vocals begin most heads have already exploded. 03.Drowned And Torn Asunder: Probably the weakest song of the album for the sole reason that it hasn't got the intesity that the rest of the songs do. On a BFMV album this would do fine but not for Trivium. 04.Ascendancy: great song but certainly not title track material, there is a certain song which steals it's thunder... 05.A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation: this is that song. Almost the entire song is composed of awesome guitar harmonies and Matt and Corey's dual solo had my jaw firmly glued to the floor. Easily the best song on the album. 06.Like Light To Flies: the two opening chords are a warning signal for the amazingly tight riffage in the style of Master Of Puppets and also structured similarly as well as there is a breakdown before the solo section. 07.Dying in Your Arms: just your average metalcore ballad which is redemed by the solos and the awesome modulation to the major on the final chorus. 08.The Decieved: galloping riffs begin this aggresive monster of a song, as it progress it continually gets better until it reaches it's peak with the bridge before the solos (ie "behold your fellow man"). 09.Suffocating Sight: I'm not sure about this song, when I hear it I think nothing at all of it, nothing bad but nothing great either. Filler IMO. 10.Departure: ascendancy's hidden gem. As I said earlier Matt's best vocals appear on this very song when the chorus eventually kicks in ("Distance yourself from the pain") and my favourite part would have to be the very subtle spanish-sounding part after the solos (listen closly and you'll catch it). 11.Decliration: not the best way to end an album but still a very good song. Matt continued his way on ending albums with long songs on The Crusade (just beating this one at just over 8 minutes) and Shogun (clocking in at just under 12 minutes). It also fails to deliver on the epic scale which long and album ending songs should have but like I said, still a great song. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: Metallichemical, on february 18, 2010

Sound: Where should I start? This is one amazing album, definitely my favorite album that my personal number one band has released so far. This is the album that got Trivium more widely recognized with a bigger fanbase, and also set the groundwork for Trivium's later work. Their style, I would describe as a blend of classic thrash with elements of metalcore and it gives them a very heavy, melodic style that makes Trivium's sound. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Heafy's lyrics have always been one of the high points of the band for me.They cover very important topics that you don't see a lot of metal bands talking about such as racism, child abuse, and intolerance issues in general. Most of the lyrics are amazing, but my favorites are probably Like Light to the Flies and A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation, which are also my two favorite songs on the album.Especially the lyrics to the latter since they are very meaningful and powerful and talks about things that I am against and that people experience regularly. As for the vocals, Matt Heafy does amazing as well. Even though they aren't the most amazing vocals, they just fit Trivium's unique sound perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said, this was the first landmark album for Trivium, and definitely my favorite release from them so far. My least favorite song is Suffocating Sight. Even though it's good, it just falls short, but still decent, though. The most standout moments for me are Like Light to the Flies, A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation, The Deceived, Ascendancy, Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr, and Rain. I love the album because it marked a huge turning point for the band, though they still had a lot of things to mature with their sound. If this got stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: benjaminr, on september 24, 2005

Sound: When guitarist/vocalist Matt Heafy was 18 he won the best metal guitarist competition in Flordia. Rest is musical history. Trivium is most often described as a metalcore band with thrash influences. The influence of Metallica is often cited by the band and obvious in their music. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on the CD are non-repetive at least if they are not repetitive. As they are a heavy band the anger etc. behind the lyrics is always obvious and works well with the music. In my opinion Matt is a much better guitarist then he is a vocalist. His scream vocals work pretty well but his clean vocals leave a little to be desired at times. He is at his best when doing his James Hetfield half growl, half clean vocals. // 8

Overall Impression: Comparing this album to other metalcore bands, Lamb Of God is probably the only one that's even close talent-wise. The guitar work is probably the best part of the album, with the somewhat repetive ness of the album being its downfall. The best songs on the album in order would be: Dying In Your Arms, Pull Harder, Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, Drowned And Torn Asunder. If it were lost or stolen I would buy Ember to Inferno, their first album as I have this one on my computer. // 8

Ascendancy Reviewed by: Frostithe, on march 16, 2006

Sound: The solos are mind-blowing and the drumming is incredible. Excellent production. My only bad point is that the bass is a little weak but Travis makes up for that. Cory and Matt, well can you find a better guitar duo? Their duelling solos are amazing. // 10

Lyrics: After a lot of listening (or a quick trip to a website) you can see that Matt's lyrics are very well thought out and deal with issues such as oppression and child abuse. Everyone can relate to some of his lyrics. Now I used to be very narrow minded and as soon as I heard a bit of screaming, stopped listening. After listening to Trivium (and System Of A Down) I find that Heafy's screaming/growling can be very powerful and emotional. His clean voice is also amazing, even though he can't reach some of the notes when singing live. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first saw A Gunshot To The Head of Trepidation on the tv, I thought "this is crap!" Then when I listened to it a few more times, it began to grow on me. I downloaded (legally of course) a few more songs and I thought hey, these guys are damn good! Now I love Trivium, they are my favourite band at the moment and I'm going to see them on Thursday at the Astoria. You need this album. The blazing solos, the chilling lyrics and the awesome drumming makes this an album you can't go without if you call yourself a [nu]metal[core] fan. // 1

Ascendancy Reviewed by: sk8erdude137, on august 25, 2007

Sound: What to say about the sound? Well first off, It's great! If you didn't already know, this is Trivium's Second album (and their first with roadrunner). I'll start off with the guitars on this album, The riffs are amazing, and both Corey and Matt can really wail on a solo, which there are a lot of on this album. Sometimes, If you're not paying attention too closley, the riffs can get a little repatative. Next, we'll go with the bass. Sometimes, you can barley hear it, but when you can hear it, you'll know that Paolo is an amazing bassist. Travis Smith (the drummer) is probably the drummer with the most talent in my opinion. He is very consistent and fast. Listen to Songs like "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr" or "Rain". Finally, The Vocals. Matt is an amazing vocalist. He can scream and sing very well. The only thing is, I would like to hear some different tones and variations in his screams to make it more interesting, But overall, The sound of this album is still amazing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics range from rape, murder, misery, and all that good stuff. A lot of the lyrics are dark, and sometimes, when you first look at them, you can't understand what point Matt is trying to get across, but regardless, Matt writes some amazing lyrics, you just have to think about them and you'll know what I mean. As I said before, Matt is an amazing vocalist, Standout tracks to prove this (in my opinion) are: "Dying In Your Arms", "The Decieved", "Departure", and "Like Light To Flies". // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a great improvement on Trivium's first album "Ember To Inferno". This album does have faults though, For instance, the screaming gets a little repatative, Matt deffinatley needs to try some variations in his screams, but that is not enough to make this album bad. This is probably one of my favorite Trivium albums. They released Two versions of this album, the regular one, and the special edition album. If you get the special edition, you'll get extras like "Blinding Tears Will Break The Skies", "Washing Away Me In The Tides", "Dying In Your Arms (video edit)", and Trivium's cover of Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" Which they cover so well. Plus along with those songs you get a DVD that has A concert and a couple of music videos. The special edition is well worth the price. Anyway, If this album was stolen I would beat the living s--t out of the person who stole and get it back, but if it were lost, I would deffinatley buy it again. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: kfong03, on january 23, 2008

Sound: Everyone likes metal belonging to the old days: Metallica and the rest of the big 4 of thrash, but metal now-a-days seems to be drowned in mainstream "rock music", and it seems that the time is long past due that a true metal band should come on to the scene and rescue those who listened and worshipped music of the "good old days", this band is called Trivium, and this review is dedicated to their sophomore record: Ascendancy. The sound of this record can be deceiving, we start with a beautiful acoustic intro which lasts somewhere near a minute, then the metal come blaring in on track 2: "Rain", and from there on, it's 11 tracks of intense thrash metal. Riffs and solos are essential to any good rock/metal album and you'd be please to know that this record contains some absolutely stunning guitarwork, from the huge riff in "Rain" to the mesmerising dual-solo in "The Deceived", each of the eleven tracks here can compete with each other for stunning riffwork + soloing and at the end of the day it's going to be a hard tie. Drumming and basswork is stunning, to say the least on this album, double bass, manic snare beats and thumping basslines compliment the guitarwork perfectly and you'd be split between deciding which instruments are performing better, and the answer is: they all are! Overall, it's absolutely fantastic and metallic here in the sound department. // 10

Lyrics: Compared to the sound of the album, the lyrics were a big dissapointment. Very stereotypical hate lyrics and extremely little variation on themes, the screaming on this album was done well and some emotion was conveyed but all in all the lyrics would not be a strong point for this album. My advice is to stick to the music. // 7

Overall Impression: Trivium is one of the biggest names in metal right now and they have good reason to be, all four of their members are talented, experienced, and absolute masters of their instruments and it comes through on this album, you won't find any half hearted efforts in the music, maybe in the lyrics but if like me you only care for the sound of an album, do yourself a favour and get this album! For me, this album is excellent and would compare to any metal album released, maybe with one or two exceptions (Master of Puppets for example). But all in all this album is a metal masterpiece that's well worth buying and for people who've lost faith in metal, this album would certainly restore it, bigtime. // 10

Ascendancy Reviewed by: DarthPeanuts, on june 17, 2008

Sound: When I first received Ascendancy, I was not sure what to expect. I had heard 'Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr' and I thought it was alright, nothing special. However, that was all about to change. I will analyse individual tracks: 01. The End Of Everything - more of an introduction than anything, The End of Everything sets the scene for the rest of the album. it's calming tone lulls the listener into a false sense of security until the next song begins. Very easy to listen to, short but not in a bad way. 02. Rain - the first 'real' track, Rain is a sudden juxtaposition compared to The End of Everything. From the first notes, reminiscent of Metallica's Battery, you can tell it's going to be a treat. The catchy octave sliding, especially when combined with Matt Heafy's singing, makes you want to listen to it over and over again, while the verse riffs will satisfy any metalhead's desires. One of the standout tracks on the album, one of the most thrashy. 03. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - until I listened to it on the CD, I never realised how amazing this track is. From the ear-crushing drum intro to the shredding guitar solo, the heavy pre-choruses, the surprisingly catchy chorus, the verse riff which is perfect for headbanging, this song has it all. The only criticism I might have is that sometimes the shouting can feel a bit too abundant, especially in the verses. Despite that, a fantastic track. 04. Drowned And Torn Asunder - this song is a strange one for me. The main downside is that one of the notes in the verse riff feels a bit too high. While that may seem incredibly pedantic, the note repeats many, many times and originally made me reduce it to 4 stars on iTunes. However, I realised that the many upsides, including the title, the sing-alongable chorus and the use of the word 'tenfold' at least balance it out. Not as good a song as the rest, and probably the weakest on the album. 05. Ascendancy - personally, this is only just better than Drowned and Torn Asunder. While it's still good, it just doesn't stand out enough, or have anything which separates it from the rest. Still a good song, but not one of my personal favourites. 06. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - ah, yes, probably the most well-known song off the album to people who don't own the CD. Renowned for it's brilliant guitar solo, this is one hell of a song. It starts slowly, gradually adds more parts, and then hits you with a duelling guitar solo which could give Iron Maiden a run for their money. When everything cuts out apart from the guitars, it's just magical. The song also includes a section before and after the solos, which could be compared to a sort of 80s rock riff, complete with 'hey's. Not a downside, but completely different in almost every way to the rest of the track. Brilliant song. 07. Like Light To Flies - not leaving any room to catch your breath, Like Light to Flies starts with a bang. The thrashy verse and pre-chorus will leave anyone who likes metal grinning, while the chorus is very well written and strangely easy to sing along to, even on first listen. 08. Dying In Your Arms - this seems to be a track where the opinions of fans divides: one set loves it to bits, the other set considers it 'filler'. Personally, I'm with the former. Different to everything else on the album, this song sounds more poppy and bright. The chorus is anthemic, very easy to listen to, and the transposition at the end is almost cheesy. The solo is brilliant, and if this were a pop song, it would be very out of place. 09. The Deceived - a remake of a song that was on their first album, this is a more metal track. While it is a very good song, it just doesn't stand out, and nothing in particular puts it above the rest. 10. Suffocating Sight - very catchy song, this one. The intro gives a hint as to the nature of the chorus, however, the verse is almost the polar opposite of that, heavy, shouty and fast. Very good song, quite a bit shorter than the majority of the album. 11. Departure - this is quite an interesting song. The verses are very melodic, starting with a simple acoustic pattern, gradually adding powerchords and vocals, then switching to a full-on distorted riff. The chorus is incredibly heavy, a great contrast from the verse. After the second chorus, an even heavier and faster section begins, with a pick-killing riff. This is a sort of Marmite track, I have to say I love it. 12. Declaration - the epic finale to a masterful album. The intro sounds similar to that of Departure, but it is easy to tell the difference. There are many parts to this song, but I have to say my favourite is the one straight after the solo, where he sings "I'll be right heeeeere / falling away / fighting on principle". All in all, this is a great finish to the CD. The sound on Ascendancy is generally fast, brutal and heavy. Comparisons have been made to Metallica, and I can see where they come from. Trivium could be considered thrash or metalcore. // 10

Lyrics: While there are many comparisons to Metallica, the singing style is very different (at least, until The Crusade). Matt Heafy alternates between a deep, harsh growl and a softer, melodic style of singing. While a lot of people cannot understand the lyrics, they are actually quite intricate. For example, A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation talks about child abuse. However, there are some cliches, Dying In Your Arms talks about the end of a relationship. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is possibly the best metal album I've ever heard. Not a single track is bad, the production is brilliant. The only thing which I don't like about it is that it doesn't go on for long enough. The standout tracks in my opinion are 'Rain', 'Pull Harder on the Strings of your Martyr' and 'A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation'. If it got lost or stolen, I would buy it again without a doubt. This album got me hooked as a Trivium fan, and I haven't looked back. // 10

More Trivium reviews rating latest review
+ Vengeance Falls 7.6 02/11/2014