Ember To Inferno Review

trivium: Ember To Inferno
Released: Oct 14, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal
Headbangers will find Ember To Inferno to be a likable and competent, if less than distinctive, example of alt-metal's good cop/bad cop juxtaposition.
 8.9
 9.1
 8.7
Ember To Inferno Reviewed by: skotyb, on september 26, 2005

Sound: After getting Ascendancy, you will want more of Trivium and Ember To Inferno the first release by the band is certainly no let down, the same kind of thrash metalcore sound pumps through this album, but with more of a raw sound, compared to the perfected sound they have on Ascendancy. This band is the real deal a fantastic combination of crushing riffery, immense vocals and some of the best guitar work released in 10 odd years. // 10

Lyrics: The main thing with Trivium that makes them different than most bands, is the fantastic lyric meanings and relevance to the topic of each song put in place by Matt Heafy, and as my friend said to me "Did this guy go uni or something" after reading the line in Fugue "Perpetual unbirth, unraveling distance, clandestine truths unveiled." Along with the lyrics Matt has a unquie pattern to his vocals that makes Triviums sound a bit more recognizable and different, Destroying screams and an incredible singing voice. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Inception The Bleeding Skies - this is a good way to open the album and has quite an eerie end of the world feel to it, which is what I think they were trying to achieve 8/10. 02. Pillars Of Serpents - this is a sledgehammer like explosion of anger after the soft opening, a pummeling section of riffs to start and a barrage of soaring vocals through the verse, and the sing doesnt let up until the anthemic break towards the end 9/10. 03. If I Could Collapse The Masses - along with fugue this song has a weird structure the way screaming is followed by a soothing vocal line, quite a good showing of musicianship and proving the music is not too repetative, great vocals and a headbanging open good stuff 9/10. 04. Fugue (A Revelation) - one of my favourites, this song is incredible, the lyrics stand out and baffle to be honest, a good selection of vocal and guitar work as usual in this album, cant say much more, great song 10/10. 05. Requeim - another blistering song, probably the best on here, I love the pre chorus and chorus in this song, it is so catchy, and the opening riff is a real memerable point on the album, good break with a good lil harmony, another great song 10/10. 06. Ember To Infero - the anthemic title track that more or less sums up the whole albums feel, the chorus has to been sang along to and if you can play the verse riff and sing at the say time perfectly, I'd be very impressed 9/10. 07. Ashes - the worst part of this album really, they could've done without it, made it better/shorter/different etc, but I spose it isnt to bad of a breather 7/10. 08. To Burn The Eye - this is a real treat, another favourite. A real good lengthy tune, the great guitar work and the riff played after the verse and under the lines "Burn, in your own hell" etc. really is a head bopping slammer of a riff and has a rather happy feel to it, when you think the song is gonna follow suit to the previous ones and end, it hits you with a hell like break before ending with a brilliant piece of lead work, what a song 10/10. 09. Falling To Grey - Nice tremlo opening, with a lil solo to get u into it, and at this point I feel I must mention the faultless drumming of Travis Smith through this entire album, as noticeble in the verse as the vocals are held up by a wall of double bass. Great chrous as per usual 9/10. 10. My Hatred - towards the end and still no let up, another brilliant track, the riff in this is just epic, (tearing with that little ride dink lol) and really gives the track is feel, another sing along chorus for ya well sort of "how can this be for real, I thought I already killed you" 9/10. 11. When All Light Dies - lets this album die brilliantly and epic ending a I have really started to love, and intro that just feels like hell rising, the lyrics are in a different class, and I just love that little guitar riff in the pre chorus for some reason, now I would give this a 9 but when this song hits its climax and fades out with that witherng, dying section of riffery which leads into the final track, it just makes me give it a 10 truly epic 10/10. 12. A View Of Buring Empires - well after all of that this lets you catch your breath and makes your relise what a fantastic album you've just listened to 8/10. And if all that wasnt good enough the bonus tracks make this album a must have, Blinding tears will break the skies is a fantastic track and god knows why it was cut, the original version of the deceived is a look at the transition of the bands sound and the track demon is a great look at the bands early stuff. If this album was stolen I would shoot th eperson who took it and get it back, I love album and Trivium in general, all hail the future of metal. // 10

Ember To Inferno Reviewed by: stanger13, on december 23, 2004

Sound: First let me say, This band just straight up rocks! The album has 12 tracks all of them rock you to the bone. Ever track hase great soundin riffs, Plus some great sounding solos! Also the album never lets up (one of the few Ican go straight thru without skiping any track)! // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics on this album are high on my list. Although 3 tracks are instrumentals, the rest fit right right in with the Lyrics. Matt has a great voice, which matches perfictly with his powerful screams. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my all time favorite albums! The best tracks are "Pillars Of Serpents", "To Burn The Eye" and "Ember To Inferno". It's up there with Metallica's Black Album! If this was stolen I'd flip as it was signed by the bass player, Paolo! So if it were stolen lock your doors and windows and yes I would buy it Again! // 10

Ember To Inferno Reviewed by: strangeibanez17, on june 15, 2007

Sound: Trivium has an all-star line up. Although on their first album, being Ember To Inferno, they started as a 3 piece band. Trivium started with a very unique Metalcore sound, crushing riffs, melodic solo's, lyrics with very deep meaning. The album starts with a very erie intro, then hits hard with track 2 (Pillers Of Serpents). The album doesn't drag at all, very fast paces and even some slow instrumentals that give you a bit of a break from something so heavy...but not for long, then when the next song comes in, it hits you just as hard as it did the first time listening to it. You can easily hear their influences showing when you listen to their music, some being Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Pantera, ect. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are easy to interpret if you have a wide vocabulary. The lyrics fit in very well with all of the songs, and what still blows my mind is how Matt Heafy can sing all of this while he's playing those crazy riff's. The lyrics are definitely not lacking in any way, shape, or form. // 9

Overall Impression: The songs on this album are very good, but however, they aren't as structured and can seem repetitive at times. That still doesn't change how I feel about the album. Some of the songs that stand out the most for me are Fugue (A Revelation) for it's catchy verses, Requiem because it's just heavy as hell and has a great solo followed by an awesome tremolo riff, Ember To Inferno for being the album track, and so it should, this song definitely fits the part of being tha album track, and My Hatred, it starts out with a heavily distorted E power chord and comes in with a very nice and melodic harmonized riff, the songs carries itself through very nicely untill the solo...which completely blew me away the first time I heard it. It definitely shows you that Matt has the skill and that he's not afraid to use it. If I ever lost this cd for some reason, there's no question that I would buy it again. It is one of the best cd's I own and I treasure it. // 8

Ember To Inferno Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on december 05, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album blew me comepletely away! Triviums Debut album (not including the EP) was a great album to start a band off with. Their raw sound really shows that they were not the next metallica back then, just some guys wanting to play music. Greatly sounded with thrash, hadrcore, metalcore, some punk, and death metal. Put all those together you have one heavy punch you in the face sound. Their self titled track "Ember To Inferno" is my favorite and shows many styles put together. Mainly Hardcore, Thrash, and Death Metal. The harmonies are great and really liven up most the songs on this album. I greatly consider this album to Metal/Hardcore fans. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Heafy has a great voice and shows it off in this album, althought some of his vocals sounded like a choir, his screaming was intellectual. Lyrics are great. In songs like "Ember to Inferno" and Blinding Tears will Break the Skies, the singing is out standing. Got to love Heafy voic eon this album, he had more of his own style, not somebody else's, which is what I love. Nothing much else to say here. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, a great quality album. I have only had this album for a day and already listened to it all the way through. If I lost this I would definately buy it again. I love all the different styles incorporated in this album, I kinda dislike the choir type voacls, it sometimes flow, but sometime it is just plain weird. overall one of the best albums I have! // 10

Ember To Inferno Reviewed by: Horvat, on december 05, 2005

Sound: Very good album, Ember To Inferno is. Trivium bring a new sound to the metal scene. A bit of thrash, metalcore, hardcore, and death metal. Some awesome guitar riffs and solos (very similar to older bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica), some mad machine-gun drumming, and some really great vocals comprise this album. Bass unfortunately sucks a little bit, but it's not really noticeable anyway. Overall, a very nice heavy metal sound. Quality-wise, the production isn't too great, but it doesn't take anything away from their songs. In my opinion, sound-wise it is not as good as their much newer album Ascendancy, but it is still fairly good. If you want a rawer, more wilder version of Trivium, you should go for this album instead of Ascendancy. // 7

Lyrics: One thing about Trivium is they write some very good lyrics, about various things like war and the world. All of the lyrics on this CD actually have depth to them, compared to some similar metal bands (which I wont mention). I actually like the lyrics on Ember To Inferno better than Ascendancy. They seem more thought-out and sound almost like stories. Heafy (the vocalist) does some great screaming and singing on this album. The way he can switch betwen the two is amazing, and I really like how he uses both and doesn't just do just one (like some other bands). Overall, very, very good. // 9

Overall Impression: A solid album. Good CD for any metal collection. Lately they've been classified as metalcore, which I disagree with. If you look at their past, particularly this album, you can easily see they're just metal and good metal at that. Songs to check out are "Falling To Grey," "Fugue," "Requiem" and "When All Light Dies." If it was stolen I would definitely buy it again. It's not as good as their latest album Ascendancy, but it still kicks ass. If you like any type of metal, I highly recommend you have a listen to this CD. // 8

Ember To Inferno Reviewed by: Ploosh_Meister, on april 18, 2006

Sound: The production of this album is no where near as good as ascendency. Not that this album is bad, in fact, it's great, in my opinion a better listen than the overrated ascendency. The album is made up of brilliant riffs and great solos. Travis Smith also seems to be playing drums a lot better on this album. He plays much faster and the double bass is used much more creatively. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are not that brilliant, though they do have a great epic feel to them unlike those on ascendency. Matt Heafy's scream is not as good as it is now, but the lyrics are a little better in my opinion. He sounds a little like kid when he sings, and to burn the eye has a terrible chorus due to the vocals (once again just in my opinion). // 8

Overall Impression: Personallly, I think this album is more enjoyable to listen through than ascendency. It's so epic and the riffs are brilliant. Solo's are fast and the songs are generally good fun. Great for a fan of Trivium, though those who can't see through not so great vocals and overpolished production will not appreciate it as much as it should be. If it were stolen, I'd probably let it go, as I'm not that much of a trivium fan. // 8

More Trivium reviews rating latest review
+ Vengeance Falls 7.6 02/11/2014