Shogun Review

trivium: Shogun
Released: Sep 30, 2008
Genre: Metalcore, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal
Label: Roadrunner
Trivium's new album should pacify many a fan who was less than thrilled with the band's previous effort, The Crusade.
 Lyrics: 8.8
Shogun Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 30, 2008

Sound: It may just be that Trivium took the public's reviews of it's last album into consideration when they once again returned to the studio. I'm sure many of you will recall that The Crusade was met with mixed reviews because it took a dramatic turn to the melodic, vocally speaking. The screams were replaced with more of a James Hetfield-like singing style, and not every Trivium fan was on board for the change. So whether or not public opinion played a role in their writing, Trivium has returned with Shogun, an album that has a distinctly more brutal songwriting approach, yet still thrives on the amazing technical abilities of vocalist/guitarist Matt Heafy, guitarist Corey Beaulieu, bassist Paolo Gregoletto, and drummer Travis Smith. With over an hour's worth of material, Shogun takes you in a million different directions musically. Just when you think you have one song figured out, Trivium might decide to alter the tempo or make a sudden shift from aggressive screaming to a beautifully sung chorus that takes the song out. The opener Kirisute Gomen is a fairly good representation of the rest of the album, and melodically it is one of the strongest among the 11 tracks. The song begins with a beautiful lone acoustic, which quickly is joined by an almost primal drum beat. The electrics jump in soon after, and it's at that point where a variety of musical sections take turns with one another. Screamed sections are abruptly interrupted by solid melodies, and vice versa. At one point everything stops completely as if going to the next track, but oh no - there's still more to come. It's a solid track in terms of songwriting and is memorable introduction for Shogun. Trivium still draws from the masters, but the quartet is skilled enough as musicians that they make a positive out of it. The James Hetfield vocal similarities are still present on Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis, a song that actually has a Megadeth-like guitar line running throughout as well. While they don't quite live up to these icons, Trivium still manages to create a pretty good balance between screamed thrash sections and accessible melodies. As you might expect guitarists Heafy and Beaulieu still put on quite the show with their solos, and if it's possible, they're even more impressive. Highlights in this area include Into The Mouth of Hell We March (if you like a little speed in your solos, you'll get it in full during this one) and Shogun (an 11-minute epic that includes electric insanity, restrained acoustic work, and everything in between). The band deserves credit for including multiple unique sections in each song, even if there might be a few tracks with a base melody that doesn't hook you immediately. The chorus in Down From The Sky might get a little repetitive or Of Prometheus and the Furies tends to sound too similar to what has done before in the metal world, but as a whole Shogun is still leaps and bounds a better album than The Crusade. // 9

Lyrics: There is certainly a dramatic aspect to Trivium's musical content, and the lyrics match (if not surpass) the larger-than-life flair of the band. Shogun features quite a few songs that deal with battles and the way of the sword, and it may lay it on a bit thick for some listeners out there. But for as aggressive as some of the songs are, you have to give the band credit for creating a vivid picture to match what is going on musically. One of the most descriptive songs is Throes of Perdition in which Heafy sings, Vultures circle above; Hyenas mocking the kill; Excrement drooling down their chins; Atop the cliffs I look down, into the starving Hell-mouth; The rabid foam crashes hard on it's teeth; Their mouths' salivate. The lyrics definitely have a fascinating aspect to them, but they are also the kind that fans tend to love or hate. // 8

Overall Impression: While there were plenty of listeners who did enjoy The Crusade, Trivium should appease a much larger fan base with Shogun. Whether or not you enjoy screamed vocals, they take the songs in a completely fresh direction and it makes the sung, melodic segments all the more powerful. Each member of Trivium gives his all to Shogun, but it's hard to not gush a little extra about the guitarists once again. They have delivered so many incredible riffs, solos, and breakdowns on the new album, it will take multiple listens in order to appreciate the full scope of their compositions. // 9

Shogun Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 30, 2008

Sound: Let me get one thing out of the way first. Those of you who call Trivium "riff stealers, copiers" or whatever crap you accuse them of had better give this album a good listen. This album seems to blend the best moments of Ascendancy and the Crusade, but it is an entirely new style I have never heard before, seeming to have both the melody of the old Ascendancy and the more recent 80s thrasher masterpiece. Matt and Corey have also changed their style to a more in-your-face shredding for the solos. Travis is incredible on the drums, and the bass is solid the whole way through. The choruses may, at sometimes, sound a bit mainstream, but I think they compliment the rest of the song well. Anyway, it's time to cut to the chase. 01. Kirisute Gomen: pretty awesome opener, you amy not love it at first, but it really grew on me. Travis's drumming is amazing. There is an awesome solo trade off too. 9/10 02. Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis: the best riffs Trivium has ever come up with for sure, starts off with a sweet mellow duel riff ad soon goes into a heavy verse that reminds me of Becoming the Dragon. The solos (there are two) are definitely some of the best on the album, too. 9/10 03. Down From The Sky: the first official single, and rightfully so. The chorus is amazing, and there is one of the heaviest breakdowns I have ever heard. The only flaw is the solo, because it isnt really much of one. 9.5/10 04. Insurrection: probably my favorite song on the album. It starts of full thrash, and alters this it's more melodic moments and pure heaviness. 10/10 05. Into The Mouth Of Hell We March: the song off of Madden 09. Less heavy than a lot of other songs on the album, but definitely one of the album's more melodic songs. After the second chorus the song really steps up. Good lyrics, about surviving a shipwreck and fighting to rebuild, and an awesome solo, yet a bit forced due to the fact that it is the only really fast part of the song. 06. Throes Of Perdition: there is some filler, and some pure gold found in this song. Arguably the best solo on the album, great duel guitar work, but a boring verse and breakdown. This is made up for by the amazing chorus, though. 8/10 07. He Who Spawned the Furies: probably the worst song on the album, almost all filler, but don't worry, the album is about to pick up. Big time. 7/10 08. Of Prometheus And The Crucifix: I wasn't kidding when I said that it was about to pick up. This song is amazing. One of the more melodic songs, but rivals Kirisute Gomen and Innsurrection as the heaviest song on the album. Reminds me at time of Contempt Breeds Contamination. My favorite solo on the album. 10/10 09. The Calamity: yes, it is one of the slower songs, but it's one of my favorite a cool riff followed by a great verse, but the chorus is what makes it a 10/10 10. Like Callisto To A Star In Heaven: there is a lot of screaming in this one. Not one of my favorite, but an insane solo, Travis's drumming really stands out in this one. 11. I'm not gonna spoil this one for you, except that it matches the epic title-track closer also found in the Crusade. 10/10 // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the weak point of this album. I liked the inspirational and sometimes political lyrics of The Crusade. As the title suggests, this album's lyrics are talking about blood and guts and decapitation and that type of stuff. However, Matts singing has definitely improved, especially in the Calamity. // 8

Overall Impression: Trivium has improved every album. This just might be the album of the year. I think it is a little better than Death Magnetic, because of the pure originality of it. If it were lost I would not hesitate to buy it again. I don't think I have ever heard an album as creative or downright awesome as Shogun. But of course Trivium will only get better! // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: Cyanide86, on october 07, 2008

Sound: After two years since their last album Trivium are back with Shogun, album which is a bit different than previous material. Unlike metalcore 'Ember to Inferno' and 'Ascendancy', than later trash/heavy metal 'Crusade', Shogun is fantastic combination between all of that. In every song on album Matt mostly sing with occasional screaming in pre-chourses, heavier parts and (after solos) rhythm change. Entire album has very cool, heavy, sharp and fast riffs, chourses are always melodic and in some songs just spectacular (like Shogun, etc.), as before fantastic long and melodic solos and trash/heavy/death metal drums.Songs which mainly stand out are "Kirisute Gomen", Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis","Down from the Sky","Insurrection","The Calamity'',"Of Prometheus and the Crucifix","Like Callisto to a Star in Heaven" and "Shogun". It's been a long time since I heard album which doesn't have a bad song, and Shogun is exactly that, fantastic metal album with fantastic songs! If there is something negative in all this, that's 'metalcore' screaming.Screaming is not bad, on the contrary, it sounds sometimes very powerfull but occasionally it sounds unnecessary and forced, because 'Crusade' didn't have screaming and obviously didn't fulfill bands expectations so now every song is gotta have screaming (even though some parts would be better without it). One thing wich suprised me is bonus track from Japanese version 'Upon the Shores', this song has a bit 'Cannibal Corpse' growling, which is really ridiculous.But despite those two things Shogun is still fantastic album which cannot leave any metal fan uninterested. 01. "Kirisute Gomen" 10/10 02. "Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis" 10/10 03. "Down from the Sky" 10/10 04. "Into the Mouth of Hell We March" 9/10 05. "Throes of Perdition" 9/10 06. "Insurrection" 10/10 07. "The Calamity" 10/10 08. "He Who Spawned the Furies" 8/10 09. "Of Prometheus and the Crucifix" 10/10 10. "Like Callisto to a Star in Heaven" 10/10 11. "Shogun" 10/10 Special edition bonus tracks: 12. "Poison, the Knife or the Noose" 9/10 13. "Upon the Shores" 7/10 14. "Iron Maiden" (Iron Maiden cover) 10/10 // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics talks about murders (like in Kirisute Gomen, where Matt sings about ancient custom back to the Feudal era of Japan where samurai was having the right to strike at anyone of a lower class who was compromising their honour). War and human stupidity ("Down from the Sky"). Ancient greek mythology and their gods (''Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis'',"Of Prometheus and the Crucifix", ''Like Callisto to a Star in Heaven'' and "The Calamity"). Bad things will happen in life and that's inevitable but it's up to us how we gonna deal with it ("Into the Mouth of Hell We March"). "Insurrection" it's about Lucifers insurrection against God. "He Who Spawned the Furies" also about mythology. Shogun is a military rank and historical title in Japan. The Japanese word for "general", it is made up of two kanji words: sho, meaning "commander", "general", or "admiral", and gun meaning troops or warriors. // 9

Overall Impression: Great, sharp and fast riffs, always melodic and amazing chourses, long (Maiden influenced) solos and trash/heavy/death metal drums, spectacular songs like "Kirisute Gomen","Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis","Down from the Sky","Shogun" etc. makes this album the best (so far) from Trivium and definitely one of the best metal albums in 2008.Shogun cannot leave any metal fan disappointed! // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: hethamulburton, on september 30, 2008

Sound: The album kicks off with Kirisute Gomen, with an acoustic intro reminiscent of 'The End of Everything.' Though, after no more than 10 seconds, the band comes in with a fairly solid harmony lead, timed well with Travis Smith poking away at the toms. Following this, you are introduced to a for sure missed sound of the scream returning to action as Heafy pulls the transition into the inevitable thrash. And so as my last sentence implied, it is another thrash album, but unlike The Crusade which features more chord heavy riffs, there are excessive amounts of single note, trem. picked riffs, which no doubt add to the intensity, but do get repetitive and eventually take away from the music. The band sounds fuller, the music tries (perhaps too hard-- the comment I made about the trem. picked riffs) to sound brutal, and the leads and solos are crisp, which you would no doubt expect out of a Roadrunner Records album. Anthems are of course written for radio play, imagine that... but they focus more on chord structures and single note riffs that don't require picking as fast as possible. Another thing I've noticed is that almost every chorus is accompanied by a guitar lead, which is pretty sweet, in my opinion. So, my overall impression of the sound is it is good initially; in fact it hits you like a wall of bricks... unfortunately, even brick walls can crumble which is essentially what too many listens of this album will do for you. The lead work is often either easy and unimaginative, or an utter mind$*! # to the temporal lobes, especially when you get a hold of the solo work. New tricks, new licks, tons of shred, tons of shred that involves two guitar harmonies, or three, maybe even four layers. While it is probably one of their best efforts, Trivium still falls into the same sort of pit a lot of thrashers fall into... not much to offer as far as variety. Headbanging and anthems are great, but Trivium are certainly not exploring outside their comfort zone. I expect a lot more 'Metallica sound alike' tabloids again, though I think it stems mainly from the lack of dynamic and range in Matt's singing voice (giving it that same sort of half scream, half singing sound characteristic of James H. though they don't really sound anything alike. // 7

Lyrics: The song titles alone are enough to clue you into the lyrical content on this album... Matt has once again provided Webster some much needed dictionary sales with the release of Shogun, as confused teenagers across the country race to find out what 'scylla' means, as an example. Though, much like The Crusade, the lyrics are often just your average everyday lingo when it comes to the anthem-like "Down From The Sky." As for Heafy's voice, you should be glad to hear that he has brought back the scream and while it sounds exactly as you remember it, he may be using some programming to reach near (but not quite) death metal's bowel quaking growls. I'll give this an 10 because the words even I don't know are back, the singing is A LOT more bearable than on The Crusade, and Heafy screams again. I can't imagine a better combination than this, except if Matt suddenly added noticeable range to his pipes. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd have to say the whole album is worth a try. There's something here for everyone to be found, but it's probably going to find it's way out of your car's CD player within a month, or two if you get really caught up on it. That said, just look for the singles, they are generally a good place to start, because... well they are the most popular. Such songs are: "Down From The Sky", "Throes of Perdition", "Into The Mouth of Hell We March", and "Kirisute Gomen" so far. I personally love the faster sound, the screams, the more bearable singing voice, the growth in musicianship as far as solos go, and the initial feeling I get when thrown into the songs opener. Some things I think need improvement would be expanding the creative process to explore new genres, new styles of playing, heck... maybe even a new instrument. Trivium just gets boring after a few spins, in fact, by mid-album I was hardly paying attention, kind of just bobbing along to the occasional chorus that came up. I think the album will sell, people will go see them live, and Trivium will live on to make another album. I just hope for the day they get bored with their own music and look elsewhere... but I suppose it's hard to get bored with something that makes you rich and famous. C'est la vie, I suppose. // 8

Shogun Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 01, 2008

Sound: The initial sound of the opening track "Kirisute Gomen" is very slow and soft but then the heavy drums kick in and your straight into the thrash riffery that's almost constant throughout the album. The intro to some of the songs make you feel like they've clearly put some real effort into this album, like the beginning of "Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis" is very complex right from the beginning, you would know this if you've seen the "making of the Shogun" on TriviumWorld, the bands technician had to hold down one the frets (Cappo) so that Matt Heafy could play the rest. The band's overall sound on this album is something that die hard Trivium fans will love after the fallings of "The Crusade" and this album has the potential to become bigger than "Ascendancy". // 8

Lyrics: The band have obviously spent a lot of time on lyrics. they wanted big, catchy lyrics that will have you banging your head throughout the album and I truly think that they've pulled it off here, "we'll take they're F*cking heads!" catches your attention then throws you head first back into the chorus, the bellowing of "What a bunch of c*nts, all they want is to feed" shows they mean business and a learned person knows that "Kirisute Gomen" Means to behead your enemy in a war situation... in Japanese Feudal times. // 6

Overall Impression: Well there's Definately no reason for them to be compared to Metallica this time round, allthough in my oppinion "The Crusade" never sounded like Metallica, the music is definately the best of their careers so far, could even compete with "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr" and "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation" from the classic "Ascendancy" album. // 9

Shogun Reviewed by: dandyhandy17, on october 02, 2008

Sound: Trivium is back, as they work with Nick Raskulinecz to make their next collection of heavy metal tracks and fourth album "Shogun". Via Roadrunner Records. This album is said that it is even more metal than the Ascendancy album. In my opinion, I agree. The band made about forty songs, and demoed about fifteen of the songs. Trivium took a whole step forward in the aggressive factor, and I'm sure Trivium fans want that extra aggressiveness. For people that are guitar fans, guitarists Matt Heafy and Corey Beaulieu plays hardcore riffs, glorious melodies, and all-out whammy solos. A good example would be, "Of Prometheus and the Crucifix. A nice melodic intro and afterwards the main riff was heavy and really impressive. The sole was also outstanding with advanced techniques perfectly executed. All tracks had differences, and not repetitive, which is simply good. All songs were perfect. Shogun, defines as an ancient Japanese army, and a lot of their songs certainly haves that Japanese sound. "Into the Mouth of Hell We March," solo and intro riff has the Jaoanese sound. "Kirisute Gomen" has the tone throughout the whole song. Most of the tracks have a riff or solo or both with a the catchy sound. Shogun proves that it's Japanese. Shogun is a fantastic album, and it shows with the impressive intro riffs. A perfect example is "Kirisute Gomen," with a catchy intro riff, verse riff, and one of the most impressive solos. It is so good that changes would not be needed. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have great meaning in each song as an example again is "Kirisute Gomen," even the title has a meaning. It means if you piss of a samurai, you would have to chop off their head. It was the law in ancient times. You could connect with some of the gory and angry lyrics in the song; "There's hell to pay, such disarray, a bloodied mess, flesh masquerade, with all the blood making a flood, you made your path by crossing us." A lot of the songs have the same topic, including death, violence and anger. A lot of the songs have a great deal of meaning but they should try to make lyrics with a different topic rather than just violence and anger. // 8

Overall Impression: With Matt's and Corey's guitar skills impressive as ever, the amazing lyrics, overall Shogun is the best album yet made by Trivium and a definite improvement over their last album "The Crusade." The last album was disappointing with only a few good songs. But I'm impressed into a whole new level with this album and every song in the album. I am quite eager to see what happens next with the band Trivium. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: MassacreDeicide, on october 10, 2008

Sound: Trivium, a band out of Orlando Florida, has gone through many changes in their musical career, the new album "Shogun" is a good example of their past wlbums all combined into one; The Crusade which incorporated more singing than screaming, Ember To Inferno wchich was screaming most of the album, and Ascendancy was the landmark album which started them on their path to fame... the album included singing and screaming which was a balance between the two. I bought Shogun the day it came out, the day I heard about Trivium producing new material I went bannana sandwich. The 30th of September was the release of the album and I reserved it the night before and picked it up at FYE the next day. Shogun had a lot of well done tracks with octives used on almost every track. It was a change of pace for them, including the whereabouts of the recording studio, they recorded in Nashville Tenessee which is and always will be the country music capitol of the USA. It was a good get away for the band and they released a great album from the experience. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are different in a way from each album, with lyricism that involves suffering, malice, hate, tyrrany and anger. Songs like "Down From the Sky" and lyrical cuts like, "Growing fat on the throne of an empire, tyrant rules with the threat of a great fire" and from "The Calamity", "Drunk from the milk of death's overflowing sick tit nourishing the misery, gives birth to the ugliness" define the suffering and hate that Shogun brings out in the bands ability with words. Matt Heafy(rhythm guitar), Corey Bealieu (lead guitar) and Paolo Gregoletto (bass) all share vocals. The songs on the album have Corey and Matt screaming and singing the lyrics with Paolo as a higher octive to mach the clean singing. All in all I say it was a major step up from The Crusade in more ways than one in terms of them changing and understanding their singing styles and how far they can push themselves to achieve their own vocal ability. // 10

Overall Impression: Shogun compares closely to Triviums release entitled Ascendancy in 2005. Shogun, however, incorporates a more advanced tough in terms of production quality and the amount of work ethic the band put into the album. The stand out tracks on the album for me were; Down From The Sky, Shogun and Insurrection. Shogun is over 11 minutes long and switches back and forth to different styles of guitar skill on both ends. It is by far the most technical track on the album, as opposed to their first music video single Down From The Sky, which is a really catchy and really metal. I love that the vocals are ore diverse and incorporate screaming and singing as opposed to what The Crusade was which was just singing most of the time. it's hard to hate Trivium, they have a become a band that you love or hate, and I love em'... but I'll let you as a listener decide for yourself. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: Sivert95, on october 20, 2008

Sound: The album starts with a really slow-and-chill riff wich is the chorus-melody of the ending-song Shogun, that's pretty cool (I think... ). The sound of the album is great. Cool solos and riffs. This is Trvium's best album. One thing that makes it so good, is that they have replaced screaming with singing. I know that the album The Crusade has much singing too, but I think the music at that album sounds too much like Metallica. 01.Kirisute Gomen: A pretty good opening-song. It just getting better and better. Pretty cool solo too. 02.Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis: Great song. I specially like the intro. Cool solo too. 03.Down from the Sky: My favourite. This is the first offical single from this album. This is a GREAT song! The best part of the song is the chorus. Pretty amazing solo too. 04.Into the Mouth of Hell We March: Cool song. Not the best of the album, but pretty good. The best part of the song is the "Into the Mouth of Hell We March" part and the solo. 05.Throes of Perdition: I think the whole song is really cool, but the highlights must be the chorus and the solo. 06.Insurrection: A very cool song. I like the whole song throughout. Its a cool verse, a cool pre-chorus and the chorus is really great! The solo is cool too. 07.The Calamity: Very cool. Amazing chorus and the interlude between the chorus and solo is really cool. And again, a cool solo. 08.He Who Spawned the Furies: I can say that this is not my favourite. The only thing that I dont give this a 6 is the solo. 09.Of Prometheus and the Crucifix: A really good song. The melodic chorus and the solo is amazing! The rest of the is great too, but I will indicate the solo and chorus because it kicks ass! 10.Like Callisto to a Star in Heaven: Really cool song. Lots of screaming. Awsome drumming and guitar-playing. 11.Shogun: A very long song. I love the song from the start too the interlude. A cool thing is when you here the chorus, you probably think: "Hey, I have heard this melody before!" And thats right, the album starts with this melody. When the second chorus ends it comes a lot of sreaming wich leads us into a smother part of the song. A really cool melody and a kind-of blues-solo. then it just build itself up, and it get back to the chorus. // 10

Lyrics: I haven't listened to the lyrics too much, but I think the lyrics are pretty good. The singing have changed a lot from Ascendancy. As I have writed earlier, the screaming has been replaced with singing. They have shown that they can scream to they loose theyr voice (like in Calisto and Shogun), but they have also shown their more melodic sides (like in The Calamity, Of Prometheus and again, Shogun). // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is f--king awesome! The best album Trivum ever made. I will say it is the album of the year beside Scars on Broadways selftidled. I like System of a Down even better than Trivium, but when this album came out, Trivium was closer to System than never before! I was scared for if Trivium were going to play music like The Crusade. I think that album is really bad to be Trivium. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: Random3, on november 10, 2008

Sound: Trivium have improved their sound tremendously. Ember to Inferno, whilst a great album, suffered from poor recording quality. Ascendancy and The Crusade sounded better, but still felt like the band were experimenting too much and trying to find their sound. Shogun. Trivium have definately found their sound, combining the harsh vocals from the first two albums with some (massively improved) clean vocals from Matt. Paulo's bass can be heard clearly, and he has his fair share of solos, as does Corey who's guitar work is incredible on this album. Travis's drumlines are imaginative and varied, and adds to Trivium's new-found sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in Shogun are meaningful and catchy, and Matt's singing has improved greatly since their previous albums. The lyrical high point in many of the songs are the choruses, especially Kirisute Gomen, Throes of Perdition, Shogun and Poison, the Knife or the Noose. The song that steals the show lyric-wise has to be Into the Mouth of Hell We March. // 10

Overall Impression: Shogun by far surpasses Trivium's past 3 albums. Every song is excellent, with very few downpoints on the album. If I had to choose a weakest song, I would choose Like Callisto to a Star In Heaven. Choosing a favorite song is more of a challenge, as there are 5 that I would choose. This album is one of the best I have ever purchased, and I hope to see Trivium reach the status they aim for and deserve, alongside bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably buy it again, because the special edition DVD is fun to watch and interesting to see how they produced the album // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: jpmatrixfan88, on november 20, 2008

Sound: Shogun is Trivium's fourth studio album. In the words of vocalist and guitarist Matt Heafy, he described the album's musical direction as a combination of various aspects including: "the past, present, and future of Trivium, all on one CD" and that is the "next evolutionary step" in the band's sound. The album has everything that you come to expect from Trivium, and more. It really is like a culmination of all of their previous work into one album. There is of course the melodic singing and harsh screams of Matt Heafy, interesting and thought provoking lyrics, insane guitar work, very fast and complex double bass drumming, and the occasional bass solo. The album starts off with a nice acoustic guitar part on the song "Kirisute Gomen", the first song released from the album. The track is a very good one. After the acoustic part there is an excellent, almost tribal drum beat, which leads into an odd guitar riff. The riff seems as if it is going nowhere, and right before you start to wonder what is going on Matt Heafy yells out, "he who walks the fire breaths," and then heavy guitars and insane, death metal like drums ensue, setting the pace for the entire album. The next track, "Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis" has a beautiful and unique guitar intro. Almost sounds like something out of an old school Megaman game. It's really interesting, and the main riff is also excellent. Some harsh vocals are balanced with some great clean vocals, which leads to an amazing solo followed by a nice bass solo, followed by another amazing guitar solo. A great track and one of my favorites on the album. "Down From The Sky", the 3rd song and lead single, is very good. The music video for it is also great, check it out. It has such an uplifting chorus, and the breakdown is just downright brutal. The last song and title track, "Shogun", is just unbelievable. It really is epic. I won't spoil it for you, just listen. It's almost 12 minutes long and the song is really diverse and spans a few genres. The album is fairly unique, and brings a lot to the table. The guitar work is just so great, and they have become quite adept at using that whammy bar. There are solos on every song, and they are all great. Bass solo on "Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis", great drumming, particularly on the song "Kirisute Gomen". Trivium improve their skills with each album, and they've become such amazing musicians. It's cool how the vocal melody in the bridge of the song "Shogun" which is the last song on the album, matches the melody of the aforementioned acoustic intro on the first song "Kirisute Gomen." The album ends the way it begins. Brilliant. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are very strong, Heafy has a way with words. Some of the lyrics tie into other songs. After the bridge and solo section of "Into the Mouth of Hell We March", the lyrics "Now you see for it is we who walk the fire and breathe" are sung. This is a lyrical reference to the previous Trivium single, "Kirisute Gomen", in which "He who walks the fire, breathes" is the song subject. The song "Of Prometheus and the Crucifix" has a great chorus,"I feel it tear out my insides. A pain so heavy I could collapse. I feel it just may kill me. I must brave through this storm." The lyrics to the entire title track are amazing, and all throughout the album they are very good. Similar to The Crusade which had some songs focusing on famous and controversial murders/crimes, the album has a few songs that deal with ancient Japanese/Greek Mythology. The songs usually have hidden meanings which are to be interpreted by the listener. Themes based on the stories of Prometheus's punishment, Sea monsters Scylla and Charybdis, and the nymph Callisto are present. A wide variety of topics are covered. Of course, the manner in which the lyrics are delivered is very important. Heafy screams frequently again, bringing back an element that was lacking in their last album, "The Crusade." Heafy has really matured as a vocalist, and his voice has gotten really good. Some great melodic work on songs like "Shogun", "Into The Mouth of Hell We March", "The Calamity," and "Of Prometheus and the Crucifix." He has certainly improved his range greatly, his screams are back, he has some great melodic work, and even some interesting low pitched vocals like the breakdown to "Down From The Sky", and the intro to "He Who Spawned The Furies". There could be a little more vocal range, however, and is something that they should continue to work on with Matt. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is like a combination of all of Trivium's work combined, all into one album, plus a little something new. It may be their masterpiece, a great piece of work. One of the more unique metal albums out there. I love the great vocal melodies balanced with the harsh vocals, and of course, the amazing guitar work Trivium is known for. They could be slightly even more creative, as every song has some screaming and some singing, and every song has a guitar solo. Maybe mix it up a little bit, and Matt should continue to improve upon his vocal range even more. Other than that, just an amazing album from the guys. It's hard to pick favorites, as every song is good, but my 5 favorites in no exact order would be: 1) Shogun 2) Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis 3) Of Prometheus And The Crucifix 4) The Calamity 5) Into The Mouth of Hell We March Honorable mentions to "Kirisute Gomen" and "Down From The Sky." // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: EthanBurgess, on december 09, 2008

Sound: I've been a big fan of Trivium for along time now. Ever since 'Ember to Inferno' [Yes, there WAS an album before Ascendancy! ], they've been a firm favourite of mine. I also loved Ascendancy, and The Crusade was a decent album, but lacked that spark that the earlier albums gave off. Well, to your joy and mine, this spark is back. Infact, it's not just a spark, it's ignited into a flame. As I type this, I am listening to one of the tracks off the album, 'Insurrection'. This must prove the point that I cannot get enough of this album. The sound in some parts of the album can be very japense-esque, just as the album name 'Shogun' denotes. The guitars have got a new, exciting tone due to the signature guitars for both Matt and Corey, built by Dean. Paoulo's BC Rich bass is sounding fine too, and Travis is on top from on the 'skins. The overall sound of the album is very impressive. Songs such as 'Into The Mouth Of Hell We March, 'Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis' and 'Shogun' leave you almost breathless at how far this band has come, in sound, maturity, and down-right crazyness! As I said, the tone of the guitars is great on this album, and it's been produced rather well too. The solos are top notch, with Solos in songs like 'Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis' and 'Down From The Sky' again leaving you with a feeling that Trivium just got a whole lot more interesting. I actually downloaded this album at first, had a listen.. And the next day I went and bought it. In my opinion, this is actually on-par with 'Ascendancy', and I friggin loved that album for along damn time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have much to do with war/conflict and ancient mythology, including Japenese [Kiritsue Gomen being ruffly translated as 'Sorry, I must take you head']. And 'Shogun' being a higly ranked Japanese samurai officer, I beleive. This can also be backed up in the lyrics: I can see in their eyes They've already died Inside, but as for the outside I'll take their f--king heads Additionally, Greek mythology is introduced, with 'Torn Between... '. The lyrics to this song basically tell how there is no escape from danger. [Read the story of Scylla and Charybdis and you'll get this very clearly, and understand the cleverness of the name]. This, again is shown with lyrics such as: Divided by destiny Torn between death and doom Destruction by decision Fate shows me my open tomb Overall, I'm quite impressed with the lyrics. They are much improved to songs of The Crusade like 'The Rising'. Also, Matt's screaming skills seem to have improved, and Corey and Paolou also have some imput on the album too. Singing is still present on the album, and although it has moved away slightly from the 'Metallica sound' it was accused of having, it isn't a huge change from early singing from Matt. Overall, very impressive. // 9

Overall Impression: I wasn't sure that I would enjoy this album, as a lot of 4th albums for Artists can be less then desirable, such as Atreyu's 'Lead Sails, Avenged Sevenfold's Self titled, and Mudvayne's 'The New Game'. But, I was extremeley pleasently suprised. If I was to lose this album, I'd go and buy it again, kick the hell out of the person who stole it or lost it, even if it was myself, AND I'd write another reveiw, just to remind myself how good it is. The album compares sometimes in sound to 'Ember To Inferno' and 'Asecenday', but musically it is much more progressed and effective. Listen to the album, track through track, and it's even better. Especially if you have the normal edition and you end with the track 'Shogun', which I think is the best song Trivium has ever produced. I can't really fault it too much, except a few songs could of been abit more interesting at times [Not looking at you, 'The Calamity'.] // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: PhantomMilitia, on december 15, 2008

Sound: The sound is quite frankly awesome, it's totally unique, no other band has anything like this. To me this is the best Trivium album, Ember was great but you could hear that the guys were still inexperienced. Ascendancy also awesome but it's a shame that it gave Trivium the image of a full on metalcore band which isn't true. Crusade good album catchy but some of the songs were a bit too mainstream... But anyways, Shogun has taken a bit of all of these and created a Frankenstein monster of awesome sound. Everything about the sound is awesome although some of the screams took some time to get used to (the low ones) but now I love them. // 9

Lyrics: Matt has certainly become an awesome singer whereas in The Crusade he was pushing it at some point making it slightly unpleasant to listen. The lyrics are about ancient myths and legends (kind of like The Crusade's Becoming The Dragon) e.g. Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis which is an ancient greek legend with Odysseus I'm not going to go into details. I'm very much into these stories and enjoy reading the lyrics and listening the song because I find that they have a meaning. // 10

Overall Impression: I love pretty much everything about it every song is awesome/pure gold. It's just great and I truely hope that Trivium will be rated after this album instead of metalcore Ascendancy. I'll put all in one sentance, I'm buying a 7-string because of this album. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: Revenger#11, on december 16, 2008

Sound: This is U.S band Trivium's forth foray at writing a full length album. After a somewhat disappointing return with the Crusade, Trivium have tried to prove they aren't the new Metallica rip-off band with Shogun. I think Trivium are grouped into Metal core because of their first two albums but with THE CRUSADE and more importantly Shogun are branching into Heavy Metal with 7 string riffing, blast beats and quick guitar solos. Cory and Matt do excellent guitar solos, harmonized solos and riffing on this album. The drums are solid and the bass is hardly heard. Guitar work is certainly the high point of the album. And yes, Matt Heafy has brought back his monotone scream which will please many fans. The skills in his scream are far from great but I think they do the job, creating a raw, br00tal sound when needed. Some of the clean melodic sections are fantastic on this album. Top Songs: Kirisute Gomen, Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis, Into the Mouth of Hell We March (my favorite), Throes of Perdition, The Calamity, Of Prometheus and the Crucifix and Shogun(the 11 minute instrumental). // 8

Lyrics: The album is based on a ancient Greek and (mostly) Chinese mythology. It's about wars, epic battles, slaying huge creatures and marching into the mouth of hell( my favorite song, musically and lyrically). I think in some songs the music really fits with the epic nature of the lyrics but many times it just didn't quite. Props to Trivium for trying it, it really is a hell of a concept. I personally found the screaming parts almost indecipherable for lyrics but I found some melodic parts when mixed with the music were EPIC( Into The Mouth Of Hell, The Calamity, Of Prometheus and the Crucifix) // 7

Overall Impression: This is the technical side of the music seen on the Crusade with the screaming seen on Ascendancy. I'm glad some clean vocals are left because I believe this is where the album is at it's strongest. I think this album is for Trivium fans, people who think they are Metallica ripoffs (listen to this) fans of great musicianship and Heavy/Thrash Metal and Metal Core fans. If you are not sure, download Kirisute Gomen or Into The Mouth Of Hell because they are good examples of the album. They go a lot of different ways. I love the concept, the musicianship, the epic clean melodic moments and the Down From The Sky breakdown. I don't like some of the screaming sections, some of the solos are forced and the songs sometime overstay their welcomes with long running times. Buy this and listen and enjoy it because I think it is Trivium masterpiece. If it was lost or stolen I would buy it again because it is great. A strong candidate for my album of the year. Well Done Trivium. // 9

Shogun Reviewed by: Guitargod12345, on january 05, 2009

Sound: "Shogun" is Trivium's most recent album, and it is the second album to feature 7-string guitars but their first to feature them exclusively. The music on the album is a mix of Thrash, Prog, and Metalcore. The drums are the best ever on any Trivium album, Good job Travis Smith, and Matt and Corey have some very interesting guitar stuff. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are great they are as beautiful as the music the are heard with and make an impressive collage of sound. Matt uses the gruff vocals he used on "The Crusade" and the screaming he used on the earlier albums, "Ember to Inferno" and "Ascendency". His Singing is impressive in Of "Promethius and The Crucifix" // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite Trivium album to me it's the best. The most impressive song is Kirisute Gomen, everything in the song is so complex the guitars are incredible and the vocals work perfectly with the melodies in the song. The song Shogun is increadle especially the way it builds and settles, it is the first Trivium song I've heard with a long Mellow part. I would replace it if I lost it because it is worth every penny. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: deanfreak93, on january 05, 2009

Sound: Trivium's sound on the new album is nothing new, but they go back to their roots. The album reminds one of Ascendancy, Ember To Inferno. They brought back the screaming, and the guitar riffs and solos do not disappoint. The drums are not lacking. Each song seems to get better and better as you listen. You don't get bored with it fast and each song keeps you interested for the whole song. Especially on The title track Shogun. At a shocking 11:22 the song keeps you interested by constantly changing into an even better riff. The album has a ton of melodies which really bring the sound together. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Heafy has always wrote very good lyrics, but in Shogun he hides the meaning of the song a little bit more making it where you have to listen to it a few times to figure it out. It seems Matt used the studio a lot to get the sound he wanted. The vocals go from super cleans to deep almost death metal growls. And always keeps you guessing what happens next. // 10

Overall Impression: Shogun by far is better than The Crusade, and any other album they have released. The most impressive song on the album is Shogun because of the technicality and diversity shown throughout the song. I love the way everything fits together throughout the album. One of the biggest turn offs of the album is the deep clean voice he does during He who Spawned The Furies, and Like Callisto To A Star in Heaven. It just doesn't seem to work with the sound their going for. If I lost this album some how I would immediately go and buy another one. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: Metallichemical, on january 08, 2009

Sound: I like all of Trivium's albums, but I think this one is the greatest and definitely most epic album by Trivium yet.There is a good balance of screaming vocals and softer singing as well, and sounds amazing.I really like all of the tracks on this album. 01.Kirisute Gomen 02.Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis 03.Down from the Sky 04.Into the Mouth of Hell We March 05.Throes of Perdition 06.Insurrection 07.The Calamity 08.He Who Spawned the Furies 09.Of Prometheus and the Crucifix 10.Like Callisto to a Star in Heaven 11.Shogun // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing as usual by Trivium, definitely one of my favorite parts.They fit great with the music, which I would expect, and Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis is probably the darkest sounding track on this album.Matt Heafy's vocals are his best yet and one of my favorite vocalists.The mix of the growl type singing and screaming is balanced well and fit perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite is Down from the Sky which is my second favorite Trivium song (right behind Like Light to the Flies).I really love Shogun which is an amazing closer and my favorite part is about from the 4minute through 7minutes 40seconds part, where it slows down and soundls lik a ballad than gradually gains speed and becomes very heavy.My favorite songs from favorite to least favorite are Down from the Sky, Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis, Throes of Perdition, Into the Mouth of Hell We March, Shogun, Kirisute Gomen, Like Callsito to a Star in Heaven, Of Prometheus and the Crucifix, Insurrection, He Who Spawned the Furies, and The Calamity.Love all the songs and would definitely want it back if stolen, though I have it ripped and could burn it.I definitely recommend this album! // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: DG_XXX, on january 22, 2009

Sound: This is the fourth studio album from florida based metal band Trivum. From the early screams of 'Ember to Inferno' and riff and solo ridden 'Ascendancy' to the Mini metallica epic 'The Crusade' Trivium press forward on the journy to re-shape the metal world as we know it. Trivium returns with another 11 track masterpiece. Shogun is what trivium are, it encorperates every aspect that you could love or hate about trivium to this point, The riffs, the solos, the screams and the clean vocals. Each song stands alone as a mini- epic and in my opinion there is no weak point in this album. 01.Kirisute Gomen: the album opener sets the scene for the devastation that is to come, Matt heafy bellows "we'll take their f***ing heads" and this line alone describes what to expect.the song features the return of screaming, the deep roars are complimented with tremelo picked guitar riffs, precision drumming and is topped of with growls that give me chills,. The wah pedal drenched solo give the song a sense of variety and the vocal melodies are catchy as hell. 10/10 02.Torn Between Scylla and Charbdis: the 2nd song begins with what sounds like a tapped intro which swells into a brutal riff, heafy's vocals ring similar to that of Rob Flynn's (machine head), The guitar riffs perfectly suit the sound of his voice and completley take the song to the next level.The Breakdown which is remminisant of 'becoming the dragon' leads into one of the best solo's on the album, each component sound good on this track but the intro des get repeditive and tedious- 8.5/10 03.Down From The Sky: the first single, this song has one of the greatest melodies that trivium have ever created, for me the intro is too long and repetitive but when the verse kicks in all is redeemed, Matts voice stands alone in this song from his hearty roars of "These vampires feed of the wars of mankind" in the pre chorus to the beautifully sung "I've opened up my eyes and seen the world for what's it's worth"in the chorus to the almost whispered "They Pump us through the machine valves "in the breakdown. The only downside is that the solo is incredibly short and the introduction and pre chorus can get repetitive. 9/10 04.Into The Mouth Of Hell We March: is another great song that demonstrates Trivium's new found control of Melody as heard in the chorus, the harsh vocals and screams on the verse are perfectly suited the the vibe of the track, the guitar riffs are interesting and sound great with the bass and drums on this track, although it's weak point is the solo which comes out of nowhere, alone the solo is great but it does'nt suit the song and seems as if it doesnt't belong, the drums on this track are perfect and the Vocals sound exellent. 9/10 05.Throes Of Perdition: the intro riff is similar to that on Torn between scylla and chrabdis, Matts vocals are good but seem lacking in comparison to some of the other tracks, His screaming is good but isnt his best, the chorus melody is good and the guitars stay consistant throughout the song and the solo is great, the drumming is superb and helps the song greatly, The song is good but it doesnt't stand strong against some of the other songs on this CD but all in all it still has some brilliant moments that pulls the song. 8/10 06.Insurrection: the Thrash is back. the intro riff is one of the best riffs I've ever heard, The Vocals sound perfect and the softer sounding chorus compliments the heavy nature of the song perfectly, The breakdown again features the brillaint variety of growls, screams, singing from Matt and Corey. The riffs are some of the best and the solo is one of teh best.One of the best Trivium songs to date. 10/10 07.The Calamity: another great song, Matts voice sounds great and when combined with the screams further proves trivium's versatilty in the vocal front, the guitars sound good but do not sound loud enough in the song which is a shame because the riffs in this song are very good. this song is mostly sung, it sounds like it potentially could have been featured on the crusade, one of the slower songs tempo wise on the CD but it still rocks. 9/10 08.He Who Spawned The Furies: begins with a grinding guitar riff, and the haunting sound of matt's vocals suit the lyrics perfectly, the tone of this song is one of the best, a slow grinding, eerie/haunting sound goes perfect until the breakdown which changes motifs completeley, from a slow grind to a full thrash/metal breakdown and solo. The vocals sound perfect with the guitars and this song again demonstrates Trivium's versatile song writing and musical ability. 9.5/10 09.Of Prometheus And The Crucifix: the guitars incorperate a trash motif and includes a lot of other idea's that could be found in other musical styles. The vocal department doesnt't dissapoint and matt uses a range of Growls, roars and clean singing.All together this song is beautiful, from the heavy breakdown to the intricate solo this is one of the best. 9.5/10 10.Like Callisto To A Star In Heaven: the drumming and guitars in the entire song perfectly blend and sound exellent, The riffs are great and sound like some of the earlier Trivium sounds. The song is one of the best on the album. the guitars are exellent, and the vocals are no exeption. nothing holds this song back. 10/10 11.Shogun: I'm not going to give away to much but this song racks up around 11 mins, it has every element of Trivium that you could dig up, Riffs galore and epic solo's, the first acoustic sound that trivium have ever embraced are featured along with a blues type solo. Matt's Voice and songwriting at it strongest. from rough vocals to sung, to operatic to Roaring it's all in this track. 10/10 This is possibly the Greatest collection of songs that Trivium have released. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals are beautiful and are a major factor in what Trivium are, Variation is exellent on this CD, each lyrical set is expressed perfectly by matts continually growing and improving vocal expertise. Matt Heafy is one of Metal's greatest vocalist, and is yet to reach his full potential, the lyrics in this album are great and each song stands alone as almost a mini-epic. Each song has it's own concept and goes through the high and lows that could only be produced in a whole album. Trivium have basically Complied an entire album into 5 minute chucks, which is perfect because every song gives a range of feelings and emotions. In saying this the lyrics are essential. The lyrics cover a range of topics and present each in different ways, from singing about ancient samurai customs in kirisute gomen to singing about mankind's destructive nature in down from the sky Trivium covers it all. // 9

Overall Impression: Trivium are one of the besat metal acts out and if you are unaware of their sound buy this CD. A big year for metal, with Slipknot's return and The metallica's death magnetic Trivium's Shogun stacks up among the classics and the new albumsa and without a doubt is one of the best albums of the year 2008. This CD shows that Trivium are stil re-inventing themselves and are yet to reach their peak. From opener Kirisute Gomen To the last notes Of the Epic Shogun this album is one of the best albums in my collection. if this CD were stolen I would Replace it without a doubt. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: ColbyDTD, on march 02, 2009

Sound: I had gotten into Trivium a year earlier than this record. The sound of The Crusade was something very fresh, (though many people hated it). This album, however, is a blender. Trivium stated in an interview, "Each album is going to be the next step". This is that step. This is trivium and their primal. The scream is back, which reverts Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno, while the riffs are still thrashy and heavey, which reverts to The Crusade. Trivium stepped it up on this album. Full on. If I we're speaking to somebody who isn't a Trivium fan, I would make them buy this. It Is Trivium. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on almost all of the songs are cleaver and unique. Matt Heafy is very good at writing lyrics that have a certain edge to them, or complexity. The titles fit the lyrics and the music perfectly. The song Kirisute Gomen is a complex song with complex lyrics. They fit perfectly. Along with every other song on the album. Matt said in an interview earlier in the recording process, "When we we're looking for an album title, the word Shogun stood out to me. I kept thinking of how much meaning there is inside that one word. And I thought that the album needed an epic title like that". Epic lyrics indeed. // 9

Overall Impression: This is nothing like modern metal today..at all. yes it is fast and technical, but there is a certain shine to it. The sound is still fresh and it is deffinately not chliched. Especialy tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 11. They are all very new and amazing songs. (the others are still just as great! ) I love this album because of how new it is compared to metal today. Listen to bands on Headbangers Ball, then listen to this. There is a vast difference. It is so new and inovative. this is such a great album, I own 3 copies of it. 2 bonus editions and the original. Get this album A.S.A.P // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: Geldin, on april 06, 2009

Sound: Having enjoyed Ascendancy and The Crusade, I purchased the CD/DVD edition of the album. I think at the time, they were my third favorite metal band, right behind Metallica and Iron Maiden. With this album, both were left entirely in the dust, in my opinion. I don't know if recording in Nashville had any effect, but this record far surpasses all three of their previous offerings. I think the thing that stands out here, like they said on the documentary included, is that everyone shines here. I don't know about innovations, but when a metal/metalcore band can throw a blues guitar solo into the title track and have it fit into the 11 minute monstrosity, then there is obviously something being done very well. 01.Kiruste Gomen: the title track here is pretty crazy. From an acoustic intro that mirrors the chorus of the song Shogun to a primal drum pattern to the solo at the end, this song is great. 02.Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis: my only complaint here is that Heafy pronounces Charybdis wrong, but no problem there (it's pronounced with a hard 'c' sound, not a 'ch' sound, for the curious). What really stood out here was the bass guitar solo at the end. It wasn't forced or anything. Definitely sounds like lightning to me when I here the intro. 03.Down From The Sky: if the previous track was lightning, this song is serious thunder. To be honest, I didn't like this when it came out as a single. I thought the lyrics were annoying and the screaming over done. Now, however, not even the lack of a guitar solo bothers me. This song is just right. 04.Into The Mouth Of Hell We March: the names get ever longer. I really liked the repetition of the title, getting louder and more powerful until a very fluid solo somes along and makes you want to learn guitar just to play stuff like that. It goes right back into the chorus. Overall, it never loses the energy it started with, even in the softer bits. I really like the guitar melody here. It's simple, but it goes very well and is pretty catchy. I liked the outro a lot; I love when a heavy band can do something like that and not lose itself. 05.Throes Of Perdition: I don't envy the guys doing this intro. It sounds cool, but the rhythm is difficult to get. The main riff is cool and I like the lyrics, even the screams (which I often think sound dumb for bands). The preceeding solo is fitting; it's very melodic coming right out of a pretty standard metal riff. Although it is pretty long, it keeps attention with a nifty melody and dives right back into the triplet riff, which is nicely followed by a softer chorus and proceeds to the end. 06.Insurrection: I like how this song starts. As with several of the earlier songs, this track is pretty good in my opinion. I like the riffs here more than the last three songs. The soft interlude is really neat here. It gets my attention right back. I think it's pretty reminiscent of the bit in Master of Puppets right before the solo. Speaking of which, the solo keeps the same feel and slides and makes large interval jumps. I love it. 07.The Calamity: another neat intro, which I am a fan of. This track goes right into the lyrics and makes a good sound. The chorus is really nice here, well sung with a good riff beneath it. All the bridges in this song make sense and do their job well. There's a really loud screaming section before the solo, which is decent, but sadly another forgettable affair until the second solo comes in and takes centerstage. Good track throughout. 08.He Who Spawned The Furies: sadly, this song isn't as good as the intro promised. The verse is rhythmic and neat, but it never got stuck in my head. I liked the chorus a lot, with a very well done scream -> clean vocal pattern. The lyrics are neat, but more on that later. There's a heavy riff covered by screams that leads right into a liquid solo that goes well with the pattern underneath. The second half of the solo is the better one. If this is Trivium filler, then we're saying volumes about the band's prowess. 09.Of Prometheus And The Crucifix: and we have here proof that energy is neither created or destroyed. This song has all of the power that the first couple of tracks promised and delivered on. The guitar work is very good; it never relents, which makes this song have a very nice sense of urgency. The drums fit well. I love this track. The solos are truly obscene. Once again, heavy riff and breakdown with organ grinding (literally) lyrics lead right in. I really love Trivium solos, but this one really stands. I like the sense of melody a lot. They aren't just sweeping this sng into oblivion. Once again, there are two parts, but the first one is better, in my opinion. There's a nice melody following, some lyrics, and a solid ending. 10.Like Callisto To A Star In Heaven: nice intro melody. The proceeding bit is well done. I don't like the oppressive screams, but the clean vocals are very fitting. Once again, it promises some good vibes and energy and delivers quite thoroughly. Another breakdown, followed by a solo. I like how it comes in right over the vocals and proceeds to send us flying into the stars for a moment. Breakdown continues, song ends. Very screamy song. 11.Shogun: I could go on forever here. The intro is very nice and anthemic. It proceeds into a solid melody, which the vocals go over top. Very solid metal track. The chorus vocals are mirrored by the intro in Kiruste Gomen, which I thought was a nice touch. At about 3:55, the song seems to end, but then comes a softer melody. There are a few verses with a very soft voice, which added so much to this track. There is a fitting little bluesy solo by Heafy which goes right back to the melodic singing. The song slowly reverts back to metal and a breakdown proceeds. Press pause and put on a helmet, because we don't want to make a mess when your mind is blown: solo shreds everything. If anything, the tempo continues to increase and blows everything apart. Dual guitar solos abound and the soft bit comes back for a verse followe by a chorus, and then you realize eleven minutes is up. Great album closer, unless you're like me and have the bonus tracks. // 10

Lyrics: Now that the long bit's done, here's the singing. To be honest, I never liked singers. They always get too big an ego and act like they are the band. Matt Heafy is not like them. From guttural throat screams to softy crooning, he does everything well. However, I would like to point out that his screaming style is unsafe and could blow your voicebox out completely if you do that too much. At very least his normal voice will be messed up if he does that for too long. That said, I like the product. There are some places where I just sit astounded by his vocal skills, which is odd for me. I really like on some tracks when he goes from a screamed line to a clean line and back. That kind of style really just shows that he's got this stuff down. The lyrics are again well done. One might wonder where they get their inspiration, because half of the words my friends looked up in the dictionary so they could get the song. It's crazy. Somehow, though, he manages to get big words and lofty ideas into the songs without any trouble. What's neat is that the lyrics tell a story in each song, if you pay attention. I really like his voice; unlike a lot of bands, the lyrics aren't just an afterthought because of tradition - they're an integral part of the music. // 9

Overall Impression: This album threw Trivium into the top spot on my favorite band list. Ascendancy and The Crusade were good albums, but this one blows every metal band I've heard out of the water. Before someone corrects me, I don't really care about the semantics within a genre. I can understand speed, thrash, or melodic metal vs. Normal metal, but really, there is no need for this "metalcore" distinction. They're just a metal band, guys. Overall, every track here is well done. The songs never perform poorly, although there are some spots that need some polish for live venues. Probably my favorites would be Torn, Prometheus, and Shogun (I'm not typing those names again!) However, there are no bad songs here, just ones that aren't quite as good. That's something I really like about Trivium: there is never poor quality, just insane standards. If I lost this album, I would go ballistic. I would immediately turn around and buy a new copy. The whole thing just screams insanity. I love Trivium for this. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: Devestus, on april 09, 2009

Sound: I was not a huge fan of Trivium when I illegally downloaded this cd. To be honest I was not sure why I did it. But I am glad i did. I hadnt heard much of their music at that point but I was extremely Impressed with almost all of the songs on the album, especially the title track and Kirisute Gomen. Trivium has a fresh edge to their sound that I have not heard since Master of Puppets. I was blown away by Matt and Corey's amazing guitar skills. After downloading all of their earlier albums and listening to them long and hard too, i could definetely see that this band has evolved far beyond the (dare i say it...) Screamo they once were into a powerfull and seemless hybrid of Thrash and Metalcore. // 10

Lyrics: Heafy has a very distinct singing/screaming style. I think that it works very well on almost all of the songs it fit's in with the music very well. Although On a few of the songs, there seems to be a little to much focus on melody, and unfortunately it doesnt't work that well. The lyrics are extremely well written, very brutal at times and also very inward thinking and expressive. It is rare that you will find lyrics that seem forced on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: Shogun blows all of their other albums way out of the water, it is simply epic. My favorite songs would have to be Kirisute Gomen, Down From the Sky, Throes of Perdition, Insurrection and Shogun. I absoulutely love Heafy's scream and the guitar sound. I only wish that there was more bass and less filler in some songs. Although if Trivium keeps on this path they made with Shogun, I strongly beleive that Trivium has great potential to be the biggest metal band of the new millenium. All in all Great album. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: ZeroSignal, on april 20, 2009

Sound: A lot was expected of Trivium's Shogun. Some people wanted a return to the Ascendancy style vocals, with more screaming and less melodic things. What we got in return was one of the best vocal performances in modern metal. They claim this album was trying to capture their live performance, and after seeing them live, I'd have to agree. Trivium have polished off their fourth album with absolute grace- this is an utterly outstanding album, with nothing short of epic songs. Although there are a handful of songs you might be tempted to skip, even when you listen to them, you feel like they fit in with the album. They recorded each instrument individually, which I disagree with, but it came out sounding beautiful. Plus, a return to Matt singing the harsh vocals live, which is always a good sign. The biggest step up for Trivium is a more widespread use of tremolo picking, and occasional groove-metal riffs. In the closing track, Shogun, there is even a hard rock solo. That won the album for me. Overall, a beautiful sounding album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a bit odd, I.e "Into The Mouth of Hell We March", a song which suggests marching is about a shipwreck at sea. Insurrection, in my opinion has the best lyrics, complying with the vocals very, very well. It's a song about the angelic war, which as an idea is pretty darned cool in the first place, with a battle march style chorus. The whole album is lyrically well written, unlike their previous albums which may have come up a bit short lyrically. // 8

Overall Impression: Definitely Trivium's best album to date, and if they keep up a quality of this for their future albums, they promise to be a band who will deserve to be in the metal hall of fame. Kirisute Gomen (pronounced Kirry-Stay Go-Men) is one of the best opening tracks on any album, ever. Standout tracks are: Shogun, Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis, Insurrection, Throes Of Perdition, He Who Spawned The Furies, and Into The Mouth Of Hell We March. Judging purely the number of standout tracks I've listed, how has this not already convinced you? The only disappointment for me on this album was the bonus DVD in fact, which promises to teach you some of the riffs from the album, which, to be honest, was barely helpful. If it gets stolen, hunt down the thief. // 10

Shogun Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 01, 2008

Sound: After such a young and brutal introduction with the bands first two Albums 'Ember to Inferno' and 'Ascendancy' Trivium had metal fans gagging for more. Since the band released 'The Crusade', fans of Trivium have been torn over the future of the Florida metal band, with critisizms that 'The Crusade' was very much watered down. Labelled by some of their followers as a 'do-or-die' album, Shogun certainly doesn't disappoint. Returning in full force lead singer Matt K Heafy delivers an outstanding vocal performance. It's obvious that Trivium has taken the words of the public to heart, given longer to record Shogun than previous albums and gaining from the experience of touring with the likes of Iron Maiden Trivium has delivered a knockout performance. The opener 'Kirtuse Gomen' delivers one heck of a punch, bringing a blend of technical beauty seen in The Crusade and coupling it with speedy, gritty lines that brought Trivium into the limelight in the beginning. Each song delivers a huge array of different melodies, just as Trivium takes you into an infamous solo the melodies and tempo of the song gracefully sweep you into the arms of a new sound. The album's pre-release, 'Down from the Sky' shows a side of Trivium that's more fierce and promising than ever before. Heafy's vocals are much more focused and produce the best melodies and screams to date whilst lead guitarist Corey Beaulieu along side Heafy delivers some very tight, high-octane solos. Drummer Travis Smith and bassist Paolo Gregoletto deliver performaces that will see Trivium create a roaring crowd in stadiums. Whilst some of the tracks can feel subdued at times, such as 'Like Callisto To a Star in Heaven' the flow and versatility of tracks such as 'Shogun', an obvious creative step from the previous album's 8 minute showpiece 'The Crusade' leaves the band standing proud. The album as a whole should have hardcore fans and newer breeds of Trivium impressed, while maybe just falling short of a true masterpiece, Shogun has proven that Trivium are still the starwalt metalers they used to be. // 8

Lyrics: Once again Heafy delivers eloquent lyrics that reflect how much the band has matured as musicians and as people. Tending away from some of the arguably more generic themes displayed in The Crusade, Shogun is delivered in true metal style. Well suited to the new, more agressive Trivium the lyrics are delivered with the best vocals Heafy has produced in his musical career. // 9

Overall Impression: With The Crusade being coined by many hardcore fans as a disappointment Shogun delivers the old spirit of Trivium that left fans salivating in the first place. The album's biggest headliners, Kirisute Gomen, Shogun and Down from the Sky deliver sounds that have thrown Trivium back into the spotlight. What's a shame is that Shogun perhaps falls just shy of a truly increadible album-whilst I seriously recommend the album, particularly to the older fans feelings perhaps betrayed by The Crusade Trivium need only push a fraction harder to dominate the metal scene. // 9

Shogun Reviewed by: trivium036, on november 18, 2008

Sound: The sound of this album was great, you can hear both aspects of ascendancy and the crusade in there just like trivium said there would be. You can hear the differance in the mixing now that they brought in Colin Richardson, it sounds very crisp and as you'd expect the immense guitar playing is mostly always audible, but I found in some places that the singing blocked it out. // 9

Lyrics: Unlike the previous 3 albums there were no printed lyrics with the album, but from what I can hear they are still very like the crusade (only better). There are some cheesey lyrics like eg. In "Into the mouth of hell we march" Matts singing is great as usual (saying that makes me sound like a fanboy, but it's true) and to be honest I'm glad there is some screaming back. The screams vary more than in 'Ascendancy', sometimes they are low and dark, other times they are slightly higher for those choruses. // 8

Overall Impression: Over all I thought this album was great (although I would pick Ember to Inferno over any trivium album, anyday) and the real bonus is it only cost me 8 pound (I'm skint and have no money). My personal favourite section, not song, is the dark heavy section near the end of Down from the sky, now-a-days I'm into heavier music and that was a treat for me. Something I would have less of is the clean singing and bring in more screaming! Argh! If I had the choice I would've had this album sounding like Ember to Inferno, but I didn't obviously so I'm happy with the way this turned out, catchy riffs as usual, some nice drums and in the song Shogun the bass is powerful. If this album were stolen or lost, I'd deffinately buy a new one. Maybe I'd even save up and get the special edition. // 8

Shogun Reviewed by: thesickness09, on december 01, 2008

Sound: I would like to begin by saying that I love all of trivium's cd's (yes even the crusade). trivium stated that they would try to take everything they previously did well and go the next step and I believe they have. they have added great new elements to there songs while keeping the good ol' thrash we know and love. one great example is kirisute gomen. it's begins with a good melody and quickly kicks into good ol' headbanging riffage and in the song there is a riff played that is very black metal esque in that it is very fast picking riff with a black metal feel. now I'll do the expected ratings of each individual song: 01.Kirisute Gomen: good strong melody with acoustic guitars and evolves into straight up thrasher. very good choice for an opener.//9 02.Torn between Scylla and Charybdis: a great tue that has a great guitar line in it. The bass solo is an added bonus.//8.5 03.Down from the sky: the first single. has a good infectious chorus and a great breakdown//9.5 04.Into the mouth of hell we march: just a great song.//9 05.Throes of predition: the standout is the chorus whis a great and mighty one.//9 06.Insurection: straight up thrasher.//8.5 07.The calamity: a decent track. defenitley the weakest track which isnt that bad while the rest of the album is amazing.//7.5 08.He who spawned the furies: this is the most mellow of all the tracks in the beginning but quickly kicks into thrash.//8.5 09.Of promethius and the crucifix: definetly for me it is one of the weaker tracks but it is a great one with a unique chorus.//8 10.Like callisto to a star in heaven: definetly a strong track with a groving chorus.//8.5 11.Shogun: we have arrived at the end of our musical journey but it isn't over. this track clocks in at about 11 minutes which makes it the longest song trivium has made. this track is the classic trivium mega song which is a musical journey of solos choruses and more.//9 // 9

Lyrics: Matts lyrics have greatly changed. in the crusade matt's lyrics were a criticism of society and it's faults whic I didn't mind because they fit nicely fit. Same with this album. the lyrics changed with the music. one thing that dissapointed me was that matt said that he would try to push his vocal range like halford on the album but it was nowhere to be seen except on the iron maiden cover they did for keranng. I think that the pushed vocal range wouldn't really work for these songs so I believe that it was for the better. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that it is a steping stone for trivium. It indeed is a great album but it also forshadows biger and better things. If it was stolen I'd buy it again to experience the journey again. The most impressive songs are into the mouth of hell we march, kirisute gomen, down from the sky, torn between scylla and charybdis. // 9

Shogun Reviewed by: Donut Boy, on december 01, 2008

Sound: Trivium is known for there complex riffs and great songs.Their new album shogun is no exception! The CD itself is organized song by song in a way that keeps you excited about the next song. The unusal thing about the album is that it was recorded than no other than the country music capital. Nashville Tennesse. talk about a strange place to record a metal CD. This album really shows the true talent of this very talented band. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics. I just got to say that the lyrics really bring life to the songs. they were thought out and given a lot of atention to. the singer has more skills than I originally thought. with more balance with the clear and sreaming the songs have a nice flow to them. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is really different than any other Trivium album yet with songs like Down from the Sky and krisute gomen this album gives others a run for their money. Favorite think about the album. The riffs. their epic.The only thing I hate is the fact that I ran out of songs to listen to. I wish it had more. this was a must have in my books. if it messed up or got stolen I would definetly buy a new one. // 9

Shogun Reviewed by: LD_Luke D, on april 23, 2009

Sound: Just to start off, weather you like Trivium or not, it is fair to say that they have no fear of exploring their sound. Shogun is a prime example of this. During this CD, lead singer Matt Heafy reserves his screaming more, but in my opinion the screams are much more brutal. Also use of new equipment has benefited Shogun For instance, all of the songs on this album use at least one 7-string guitar, as opposed to Acendency where the guitars were in drop D, and mainly considered a metalcore band. Then, the Crusade granted them the nickname of a bunch of Metallica wannabees. This album certainly refutes that standpoint and is a very strong album.The only exception is that sometimes the breakdowns or even slow sections tend to lag on. 01. Kirisute Gomen: the opening track on this album has almost an Asian flavor to it with the intense drumming at the beginning. This is probably the heaviest song on the album with little singing. This song gives you a good idea of a lot of the breakdowns, vocal techniques, and guitar riffs found in the album-9 02.Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis: this track is not quite as heavy as Kirisute Gomen. This one almost reminds me as something that could be found on The Crusade, except with screaming.the solo is one of the better ones on the album, but the chorus is mildly annoying.-7 03.Down From the Sky: my personal favorite on the album. I believe this song has something to do with world war two or when America used atomic weaponry against Japan. Try listening to this song while playing Call of Duty: World at War, if you have never heard this song, but played the game, that is the kind of bleak, twisted, yet disturbingly real feeling this monster generates. -10 04.Into the Mouth of Hell we March: this is a song where Trivium shows proof that they actually wrote The Crusade. However not a bad song, with the solo reminding me somewhat of Avenged Sevenfold's Afterlife.-8 05.Throes of Perdition: Throes of Perdition is an immensely dark song featuring mammoth 7-string riffs, a long breakdown, a disturbing music video, and strummed octaves in the chorus. This song also contains the best Seven-string riff on the entire album.This song is written very much like Down from the Sky: guitar intro, long, intense breakdown, and some rather disturbing lyrical imagery. -10 06.Insurrection: a nice change of pace, a fine example of where Heafy's scream is more reserved for the heavier parts. This solo reminds me somewhat of Metallica's Wherever I may Roam. The breakdown in this song is slightly more musical,, and just better- 9 07.The Calamity: not one of Trivium's better songs on the album. The drums and scream in the pre-chorus and intro are probably the best parts of the song. -6 08.He Who Spawned the Furies: this song kicks off with doubled vocals which is becoming increasingly common in the metalcore genre. Saying that, I do not consider Shogun a metalcore album. After the intro the song moves into some rather bad singing, and kind of goes downhill until the solo. -6 09.Of Prometheus and the Crucifix: a much more lyrical song with good singing in the chorus and almost no screaming. Although far from the best song on the album, Trivium does a good job of controlling the melody and having less of a breakdown on this one.-8 10.Like Callisto to a Star in Heaven: the intro reminds me somewhat of the Calamity, but overall is a much better song. This one doesn't sound much different than anything else on the album. -7 11.Shogun: clocking in at over 11 minutes this one is hard on the attention span. There is 3 sections, a moderate section, a slow section ( even a blues solo in there at the end), and a fast section. Shogun may be one of the more musical and varying songs on the album. The end of this song features song really cool breakdown-like riffs, and some 7-string patters that are quite impressive. // 9

Lyrics: Metal is known for having merciless, and often quite disturbing lyrics. Trivium takes this stereotype to the max. Without penetrating the category of death metal, this band features some of the most horrifingly dark, relentless, and sometimes depressing lyrics in metal. I can only give the lyrics an seven because as some people love their lyrics somewhat grotesque. I, however am not one of those people. The lyrics are what may ultimately drag this band down, there are no songs that I would consider positive on the album, and this could quite possibly be an artistic barrier. The lyrics fit how heavy the music is and Matt Heafy is a good singer as well as a good screamer, but I'm just not for all that negative energy. // 7

Overall Impression: Often times Trivium is compared to Metallica because of the phenomenal guitar work, instrumentation, etc. Part of this is true because both bands have gotten more musical as their careers have gone on, every member of both bands are extraordinarily talented, and have somewhat of a similar sound. this comparison is not accurate because of the obvious: Trivium screams a lot, Trivium doesn't write any slow songs, Metallica's best work is in standard tuning, Trivium's best work is in drop d or by use of a seven string guitar. Some songs such as Down From the Sky, Throes of Perdition, Kirisute Gomen, and Insurrection really impressed me. However, there is a lot of songs on the album that could have been omitted. // 10

More Trivium reviews rating latest review
+ Vengeance Falls 7.6 02/11/2014