The Crusade Review

trivium: The Crusade
Release Date: Oct 10, 2006
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Alternative Metal, Thrash, Heavy Metal
It?s an obscenely brave and ambitious end to a glorious collection of songs that seems destined to cement Trivium?s reputation as the heaviest, sharpest, smartest and hardest working band of their generation.
 Lyrics: 7.7
 8.2
 8.2
 8.1
The Crusade Reviewed by: Machanix, on october 12, 2006

Sound: Trivium has come along way from the screams many are used to. The Crusade is one hell of a ride, but like most CDs, it starts off slow, so don't worry. From the hard-hitting, melodic opener Ignition, to the 8 minute trek that is The Crusade. Don't be fooled by the band name, for this is surely one not to disappoint. 01. Ignition - very metalcore intro, but quickly cuts into the vocals, and it's smooth sailing from there. As it progresses, it gets very melodic, but maintains the heaviness that Trivium promised. Matt's singing is superb. Cory and the guitar solo, what can I say? I thought it fit the song, but it also sounds very forced, so that's a point off. 02. Detonation - two bands came to mind when I first heard this song. Pantera, and Metallica. This is a very had hitting, fast paced, kick ass song. The first part of the song is almost thrashy, but can't quite cut it, the last 3 minutes of this song is where it picks up. I'm a sucker for melodic stuff, so when I heard this song change so suddenly, I was suprised. Fortunately it was a pleasant surprise. Since most of have heard this, you probably already know how it goes, so that saves me some time. 03. Entrance Of The Conflagration - this is a very fierce song, though, it seems like something is missing from this, I can't quite put my hand on it. Very good backing-vocals on this song, sounds like Matt Heafy likes to do them himself (James Hetfield much? ). The drums on this track are superb for a man of Travis's age. Like Detonation, this track starts off a bit slows, but quickly turns into yet another epic, the solo goes in perfectly. 04. Anthem (We Are the Fire) - starts off great, though for a second I thought it was going to be a rip off of Alone in The Dark by Testament. Matt's vocals are definately the strong point on this song. The backing vocals are very strong, and everything fits perfectly. My favourite song on the album (well, tied with The Crusade actually). This has an almost Metallica-ish feel (via RTL), but also maintains the intensity that is Trivium. 05. Unrepentant - very awesome intro, heavy and to the point. Matt sings like all of the songs on this album, very strong, and loud. The backing vocals are almost like a mantra, amnd the harmonizing between the band in this song is heavenly. The tempo changes a bit, but Trivium is one of the few bands that can pull it off great, and they prove it with this song. The solo, very short. The solo is what ruined this song. 06. And Sadness Will Sear - this is the weak point of the album, sure it picks up towards the end, but it seems too much like it was just filler. 07. Becoming The Dragon - almost thrashy, it seems too forced. However, it's very heavy, and I like it. Matt is borderline screaming about 1:48 into the song when it starts to get heavy and fast. The riffs are heavy and pounding in this song. This is a great song. 08. To The Rats - can you say thrash metal? Wow, this is easily one of the heaviest songs on the album, fast, hard, and mean, just the way I like it. I think this may be a new opener at Trivium shows right here. Nothing more to say other than this track kicks some ass. 09. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - this song is great! It didn't have the intensity as To the Rats, but it has something some other tracks are lacking. Emotion and feeling. I love this song. Everything flows perfectly into one beautiful work of art. 10. Tread The Floods - it's a bit hard to describe, it starts off very scetchy, bu picks up the quality very quickly. Everything starts off as filler, then the filler starts to flow, creating this song. 11. Contempt Breeds Contamination - great! Starts off awesome! Fast, and heavy. Hard hits, and pounding riffs. This rivlas as the heaviest song on the album. Matt's voice sounds great on this track. Corey does his part almost effortlessly. Nothing more to say. 12. The Rising - a great song, nothing the bothered me. Though, after all this, this song starts to get repeatative. Melodic, then picks-up.One of the slower songs, but it's still great nontheless, and Corey's guitar solo is the highlight of this song. He just lets the notes flow out of him, and into the music. 13. The Crusade - the time has come, it's The Crusade, the big one, the title track. This is the instrumental. This song is in sections. First is the fast paced Trivium-esque section. It quickly goes into an almost Cliff Burton bass line almost reminiscant of Orion or Pulling Teeth. After that little part, it becomes very melodic again. The solos in this are spectacular, the almost natural sound, it comes out as if these four kids were born to be stars. This epic weighs in at over 8 minutes, there is too much to describe, and yet, not much time. One word: Beautiful. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were very good. Ranging from politics, to violence, young Matt Heafy has yet to reach his prime, and if he can write this now, I'd love to see what he could do when he's older. I'm one for describing lyrics, so my explanation is vague, for that, I apoligize. // 9

Overall Impression: This is easily Trivium's finest album. No other album but anyone in the metalcore genre can compare to these guys. I think this album has proved that they are a step above the rest. I love everything about it, the only thing that bothered me was that the bass was very weak for a man of Paulo's calibur. Since I downloaded this album, I know now that I will most definately buying this in October, and I'll buy an extra copy just in case some ass-clown does indeed steal it. Well, it's 12:24 am, and I got a math test tomorrow, so I'm off to bed. I'd reccomend this album to anyone who likes music. Trivium's finest hour has yet to fall upon them, as I said earlier, I will be there to see it happen. Until then, this epic will stand out in my CD collection for a long time to come. // 9

The Crusade Reviewed by: PLOP, on october 12, 2006

Sound: A few words: different, and amazingly awesome. Trivium are fulfilling their prophecy that they are "the next Metallica", but it does not end there. Despite what certain magazines are saying, the entire album does not sound like a Metallica album-Songs like "And Sadness Will Sear" and "Becoming The Dragon" are more original, possible due to the use of a seven string guitar, which I personally feel is used to great effect, as it is not the bottom four strings that are only played with chunky power chords and octaves, but there is complex soloing and sweeping of all seven strings. The main theme of the album, seems to be an attack on modern society and problems in the world-"And Sadness Will Sear" is a song about the murder of a homosexual man because he was homosexual-whereas "Ignition" is about how we are destroying Earth with bombs and each others dignity with "Homophobia, Racism, Sexism"-a line from the song of "Ignition" which also features the chorus "Ignition/Inception/Burning is our fuse to destruction/Break the walls of Ignorance/To disarm the world from it's last chance." My personal favourite thing about the album, is Matt Heafys new, vocal style-out with the throat mangling screaming and in with old school 80's style growling/roaring-with the exception of the bridge to "Becoming The Dragon" which is screamed by Corey Beaulieu (lead guitar) who also screams the screamy bits to ascendancy live seeing as Matt has retired from screaming. But Corey's screaming is not out of place, and is done fairly well! The band has also progressed on their instruments-if you don't believe me listen to the amazing closing/title track, the epic, technical, and simply brilliant instrumental "The Crusade", although the entire album is proof of an extremely talented band, with great song writing skills and great talents on their chosen instruments. Matt can now also play more complex guitar parts whilst singing, Paolo's bass sound is more defined and can be clearly heard, whilst Travis' bass drumming and drumming in general is exceptional. Another change is the use of standard tuning as Paolo claims is it "easier to write songs in standard", and Matt also said in Total Guitar Magazine last January "No one uses it anymore so we thought we would try and be different"-and needless to say, the tuning seems a bit more, ah, "metal." Oh and brilliant cover artwork as well. // 9

Lyrics: Matt has defiantly changed his vocal style, and it goes better with he music as well. His voice definitely sounds awesome, and his singing skills have improved. All the lyrics are written by Matt, and whilst some are typical "Stop problems in the world" Lyrics, some have more meaning, such as "And Sadness Will Sear" which is very blatantly about the heartless murder of Matthew Shepard, and "To The Rats" Seems to be about those who doubt and hate-not just Trivium-but most groups, and I'm not talking just about musical groups but social groups, as the line "Break every bone in your face/If you mess with my life" shows. // 9

Overall Impression: In conclusion, all I can say is, I will still definitely buy this album, I was just far too desperate to hear it because the 3 songs I had heard were simply brilliant. The rest of the album follows suit. The best album this year, well done Trivium! This album will be a love it or hate it album, but please if you have downloaded the album buy it anyway, to support and congratulate and thank Trivium for this great album. Good Job Matt, Corey, Paolo and Travis. Just release a tab book so we won't waste too much time figuring it out, and credit me for that suggestion. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: Trivium_Fan13, on october 13, 2006

Sound: The Trivium of now as as opposed to Ember To Infero is simply this Trivium is more composed and much more structered. Multiple layers of guitars, from the heavy seven strings to the acoustics that you can barely hear but still add flare and power to this album. For Trivium to write something that overall is a classic album while touring tells a lot about how composed this band really is, one goal for one cause, bringing the essence of true heavy metal back. // 9

Lyrics: Ignition: With it's very heavy beginning and very powerful lyrics, you could almost think that Trivium dropped their style of a melodic chorus/bridge. But when that chorus kicks in and the emotion that you hear in Matt's voice, with the heavy guitars and the acoustic guitar hiding with-in, you get that awe inspiring feeling. When the solo kicks in you hear that their techincal skills have only grown, from when they started. Then to finish they do the acoustic chorus intro into the heavy guitars, and literally can drop any true fan of Trivium to their knees. 01. Detonation - an extremely heavy start to the song, as the drums march peacefully behind the well complied guitar riffs. Heafy and the vocals on this song show that he has matured. The verse and chorus compliment the heavier side of Trivium and that they can still do some screaming but only when it is a nessecity. The solos sound like something the Whammy Bar Genius himself (Dimebag Darrell) would have written. The Bridge is what really gives this song layers and allows appreciation of melodic vocals, with well placed solo's inside the bridge this is a very amazing track. 02. Entrance Of The Conflagration - did you hear that, James? Wow, Matt really hit the nail on the head, a very fast and steady song, catchy especially the chorus, great riffs and very powerful meaning. Torment of the soul something any artist can write about. The bridge right before the solo's with the chant like whoa's allows listener's to feel that the day's of A gunshot to the head of Tripediation aren't dead. Matt and Corey's solo's are some of the best of this year, and very few bands could top them. 03. Anthem (We Are The Fire) - the beginning of this song makes you wanna start a roit, and then the verse kicks in and you find yourself naturally headbanging, with a very very very catchy chorus, and amazing verse this is probably the highlight of the cd, with Paolo rocking the bass throught the whole song, gives you memories of Cliff Burton. The Dual solo and then separate solo's in this song are truely perfect, and then the chant comes to get you, whoa, whoa whoa a classic track. 04. Unrepentant - with the music for this track written by Corey you see that stability isn't always needed in a song. The vocals don't rhyme and still flow perfect, cool song, great solos yet again, and the chrous is a very emotional catching chorus. This song is a good way to message to everyone not to listen to rumors! 05. And Sadness Will Sear - the beginning riff is very grooving and almost later Slipknot sounding, while the vocals are Heafy at his very best. The chorus music and lyrics alike are capturing and very awesome. The ending bridge talks of today actually, October 12th and is a great peice of art, solo's aren't the most soul capturing but leaving the solo's back into the chorus is amazing, with Heafy backing himself the vocal pattern grabs you in. 06. Becoming The Dragon - not my favorite track but still very good, telling that they can write about mythology and still kick it's back side, descent chorus, and a nice fast paced verse. Corey proves that his ability to scream is far surpassed what Matt was able to do, with them both having their own singing style now, they can conquer the world! 07. To The Rats - fast. A very thrashy song pretty much telling everyone to back off if you, disapprove of what others are doing, musically and socially. The chorus is a great compliment to the verse as it is a completely different style than the verse. The great the backing vocals and how the song is built around riffs that Paolo wrote, shows that everyone in Trivium has tons of musical talent. The bridge and solo are very very angry and fast, with the whole song showing thrashy ability, finishing with the song dropping to a slower tempo. 08. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - at the beginning riff you are caught in a wave of emotion, and then you hear the vocals and what Matt talks about, and he pours his heart out to his girlfriend. A thrashy ballad? I think so very well done, the solo/vocals/music/drums/everything is a compliment to eachother, with the post solo chorus starting a key lower, making a very nice soothing but still awesome sound. Great Track. 09. Tread The Floods - a very Iron Maiden intro takes you back to the good ole' days of metal. With the verse sounding like a fusion of Metallica's vocal's and Pantera's music, with the chorus going against the norm of Trivium and staying very true to the song, and being a heavy hardcore chorus. good good. 10. Contempt Breeds Contamination - Dimebag must have been the inspiration for this intro, and the verse is very cool and heavy, then the chorus is wow. Overall a descent track. 11. The Rising - a classic intro that grooves all the way into the verse straight to the chorus and back around, the song flows like a true riffer(river) of metal. This song has so many different sounds, from Tallica, to Pantera to Def Leppard to Kiss, a great beginning to the end of the CD. 12. The Crusade - ten stars to this instrumental hands down, nothing sounds outta place. // 10

Overall Impression: Had this CD been released around the time of Metallica's Ride The Lightning or Megadeth's Peace Sells But Who's Buying, I really don't think that Metallica or Megadeth would have been able to keep up. This album brings the essence back to the Metal scene. A great album that will keep fans satisfied and feasting until they return with a better album! I would buy this CD 10000 times if it were stolen ever, there is nothing that they do on this cd, asside from not releasing 2 more CDs with the same caliber of hits at the same time, that I don't like. The catchiest and most impressive song would hands down be Anthem (We Are The Fire). // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 23, 2006

Sound: This album is a long way from the Trivium we all fell in love with back in the days of "Ascendency". Arguably the heaviset of the Trivium alums but the guitar seems to be lacking weight and order. This is a thrash metal album to be sure and no other label can be realisticly put on it. The riffs are played to a speed of that we have never herd from Trivium but this almost makes it sound out of control to the point that you know their f--ked if they drop their pick's. The skill is remarkable though and the melodci patterns and pitch shitfs are beyond reason. Fans of early Megadeath will like the new sound. // 8

Lyrics: Heafys, it seems, was better off screaming. Fans of Triviums second album are going to be dissapointed with his vocals on this album. Some think that he is'nt able to scream any more because his voice has blown. This is a possibility. A lot of people are comparing the vocals too a lot of early Metallica tracks but Heafys vocals just arnt as strong as James Hetfields. We still get a bit of the Trivium through a bit of Corey screaming but it isnt enough to impress as his screams were never the strongest of the duo. // 4

Overall Impression: It is clear to see the Ascendency is the strongest album Trium has released becuase The Crusade just doesn't have the tracks that make a good metal album. The Crusade track does show serious potential as listeners are reminded of Metallica through this blistering instrumental and "The Anthem" could be an extremly popular track but the album just doesnt't have songs that stick in your head like "Ember To Inferno", "Pull Harder" and "Like Light To Flies" did. The guitar skills are amazing and the solo's have improved massively on former songs but this just isnt Trivium. // 5

The Crusade Reviewed by: d_byrne23, on october 12, 2006

Sound: In terms of the genre, this is one of the most dynamic guitar albums I've heard in quite some time. People need to realise that these guys (Matt and Corey) aren't very old, and demonstrate skills that a lot of artists don't have and will never have. They show an array of creativity on this album, and always find a way to throw a meaningful solo or duel in each song. Songs I would strongly recommend are "Entrance Of The Conflagration", "Becoming the Dragon" and "Tread The Floods", Tread the floods has one of those screaming leads that you will be humming in your head all day. Definately have to give them a 10 in the sound department. // 10

Lyrics: The sound off of The Crusade is night and day compared to Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno, instead of the kinda mainstream metalcore screams use to hearing on past trivium titles, fans are now treated to a more singing approach from Matt Heafy. At first I thought there was a lot of Metallica comparisons, but after listening through the record quite a few times, you definately lose the feeling that he is trying to be James Hetfield. I'm actually pleasantly surprised in Matts lyrical content, and at how great he pulls it off. I would've been slightly happier if he wouldve mixed in the screams with his melodic singing tone. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that it is one of the most dynamic records I've heard this year. It caught me off guard thinking it would just be random shredding and a late '80s style metal sound, but they mix it up so well, going from songs like "Entrance to the Conflagration" to "And Sadness Will Sear", demonstrates that these two young guitar players have lots to offer, and you can definately tell that they respect those who have came before them, and taken plenty of techniques from them. An end comparison would be something like take a decent metal vocalist, mixed with thrashy Metallica riffs, and searing leads from a Maiden-esque type tone. Very impressed, any one who enjoys Trivium's past efforts, or anyone looking for something different in todays heaveir music styles should definately check this album out. Lots of excellent guitar work. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 12, 2006

Sound: First off, I loved Ascendancy and everything about it. The guitars, bass, drums, and singing. This album is nothing like Ascendancy at all. The riffs are lame cheesy arena rock rip-offs. Most of the songs sound exactly the same in structure and melodies. I was very dissapointed. The solos are ok, but not guitar hero stuff like they promised. Any one of the solos on the crusade would fit in any other song. It's mostly just fast alternate picked runs staright out of John Petrucci and Paul Gilberts instructional vids. The most dissapointing aspect of The Crusade to me was the singing. He doesn't scream and the only actual singing is on half of "Detonation" I would describe the new voice as a retaded James Hetfield being hit by a car but only worse. each song has the same vocal melody pretty much. "Entrance Of The Conflagration" especially sucks. // 6

Lyrics: I guess the lyrics are ok. the titles have big words, but I think he just does that to be cool, I don't know. The lyrics don't really matter though, since Matt's awful, awful voice drives you insane. I'll give the lyrics a 10 though because they themselves aren't bad. They're probably the least shitty thing on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Trivium keeps saying that this album is really showing their influences of Metallica, Megadeth, and Maiden but all 3 of those bands are exponentially better. I just don't hear any similarities between them and any of those bands except for the voice which I've already talked about. The best song is easily "The Crusade". It has no vocals(thank god) and has some neat riffs but the song doesn't seem to gel together like "Orion" or "To Live Is To Die". It feels forced like they had 15 leftover riffs and just put them together into one song. I would say this song is like the hottest retarded girl in America. She may be hot but she'd still retarded. If it was stolen I would be happy. // 4

The Crusade Reviewed by: A7XDisturbed, on october 12, 2006

Sound: On this album Trivium have fully developed their sound. It was a big step from Ascendancy. There is a lot less grunting lyrics, instead Matt Heafy seems to sing more. The guitars, bass and drums are dialed in and everything is so crisp. The album is along the same lines as Ascendancy but the is more harmony in the guitar duets. Another step forward is that Gregoletto(bass) has a solo on The Crusade. In this album the guitar and drums are heard head-on, meaning the tempo is a lot faster but the is more harmony to somewhat slow down the songs and make them complete. In Ignition, the opening track, the guitar is so fast but you get to the chorus and want to sing with the song. Overall Trivium has hit the mark with this ablum it is so far my favourite album. It sounds as though they have perfected their sound and in some way perfected their genre of music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album have much more deeper meaning then Ascendany. A lot of the songs are about taking the negativity in life and surpassing it. But Matt Heafy uses his amazing skill with words and makes the songs a lot more meaningful. In aspects of the music the lyrics fit the music perfectly. From Ignition to The Crusade(the last song) the words and phrases Heafy use insync with the guitar riffs and the bass riffs. What is most amazing is the delivery of the lyrics by Matt Heafy. He picks his time to actually sing the lyrics and when to somewhat grunt them. This skill adds diameter to the songs and just shows how great of a songwriter he is. // 9

Overall Impression: This is by far Triviums best album, for me anyways. Trivum said that they are trying to sound like the old Metallica. Well on this album they have done it and then some. I love almost every minute of the album. The only thing I dislike is there is a lot less guitar duets but that is exstinguished by the awesome guitar playing by Corey Beaulieu. The most impressive songs on this album are Ignition, Detonation, Anthem (We Are The Fire), And Sadness Will Sear, and The Rising. If this album was stolen I would most definately buy a new one. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: Majin Gaara, on october 12, 2006

Sound: As of course, I bet all of you have heard that this whole record sounds like a intense, '80s thrash metal record. Well it's true, but, it has a little blend of trivium style in it so it sounds actually pretty good. In all the songs the sound and style is perfect! The tones are really nice. I can hear a lot of melodic, technical riffs and rythems played a piece to each of the songs. For Trivium switching to this it's really decent. Paolo goes all four fingers on this album and dosent use a pick anymore, To that and Corey Beaulieu (guitarist) has much more backing vocal parts but some parts sound so gay it's what got this rating a 9. Other then his screaming at some parts it awesome! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics for this whole album is something special. Although Matt Heafy(vocalist/guitarist) sings about a lot of regular stuff and is a lot different singing style and lyrically then 'Ascendancy'. The crusade has a few songs talking about war to rape, to murder, to relationships. You will be pretty pleased lyrically. Everything is nice and in sequence, everything fits nicely. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I'd give this album a 9 becuase of how amazing Trivium has done it again. It and 'Ascendancy' are totally different but this has a lot more technicality to it and structure-like songs. Just like 'Ascendancy', there is a solo in every song, yes a solo in every song. Alhough sadley they seem to be more shred like solos that go along with the song and such and they don't really seem to have that trivium solo thing were it was a lot more melodic like Matts solo in 'A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation'. This album contains a lot of headbanging. Yes, the solo's are decent. But the overal music aspect is great and this album is very awesome. Very technical, very influence-like and catchy. This a must-buy album for metal heads! // 9

The Crusade Reviewed by: Reck, on october 12, 2006

Sound: Prepare for a long-ass review, cause my ass sure waited long for this album! If you are a fan of Trivium's sound, then you may hate or love their change in sound. You can clearly still recognise their sound but mainly vocals have changed. Screaming used as a basis to deliver the lyrics has been dropped and replaced by a raspy, intense singing voice. Similar to that of Testament and Metallica, although you can clearly tell the voice apart from others. Lots of songs still have that fast thrashy vibe running through it but on some songs of the albums are slower, allowing you to do some head-banging. The guitar work is incredible as usual, producing sweet harmonised lines and riffs to just brutally fast fret board aerobics. The bass work is outstanding. A lot of music in this genre has bass guitar parts barely audible but there are a few bass solos in there which are quite impressive. The drums are also outstanding as usual. Trivium do not fail to deliver on their instruments. // 10

Lyrics: As usual, Heafy's (lead singer) lyrics don't fall short of expectations. Instead of focusing on the himself or the band personally, the lyrics talk more about problems occurring in society. E.g. the first song "Ignition" talks about the world setting itself up for destruction, "Detonation" talks about the world detonating. Heafy's voice has vastly improved and is a huge step up from Trivium's older albums. Screaming is now used as an effect and it sure sounds damn awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, awesome album, with a few weaker tracks. All of the songs have awesome lyrical and instrument work. Definitely a must-buy album. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: LarsHamfield, on october 12, 2006

Sound: This is Trivium's latest album and is very unique. The Crusade blends many different styles mainly just different types of metal but this sound is very new and different to the likes of Ascendancy 2005 and Ember To Inferno 2003 for starters each player semms to have become more experienced for example in some songs you will hear Matt Heafy doing 5 and 6 string sweeps unheard of in Triviums first two albums the riffsare also much more complex. They obtain their unique sound in several songs by using 7 string guitars they also tune their guitars to Standard instead of dropped D as heard on Ascendancy. In this album Corey's, Paolo's and Travis' sound has remained much the same but with Matt you can hear his new found experience Corey and Matt also experiment a lot in this album with whammy bar squeels. This is an album which I have given a lot of time to I have read various comments and most fans will be Happy myself included with this album, unfortunately though their is a large minority of people who feel that Matt has ruined Trivium by not screaming and some say he sounds like a young James Hetfield but I disagree. // 8

Lyrics: The first huge change on the crusade is the Fact that young vocalist Matt Heafy has given up screaming for reasons he says are because none of his influences scream and I quote "You don't hear bruce dickinson being reffered to as a heavy metal cookie monster." He also says that it was hard to make out what he was saying. The lyrics on this album are no longer about things like emotions but things like the theory of shoot first ask questions later but they also cover unbelieveable topics like dragons in the song Becoming The Dragon he just sings about becoming a dragon but Becoming The Dragon happens to be my favourite song with a trademark catchy Matt Heafy chorus overall it's lyrics are reasonable with the exception of becoming the dragon. // 7

Overall Impression: With relation to Triviums first two albums this shouldn't disappoint fans but it doesnt't stack up to the ferocity of Ascendancy their are some powerful songs on this album about the world setting itself up for destruction and then detonating itself into a state of panic and danger the intro track is Ignotion which smoothly runs into Detonation. The title track The Crudsade is an epic 8 minute which in my opinion is an excellent way for each band member to flaunt their skills which they do perfectly. I love the fast paced riffs, The technical solos and the uplifting catchy Choruses this album will stay in my most recently played list for at least a month if some one were to steal this metal masterpiece I'd hunt them down and make them buy a new one and then I'd kill him (of course). // 8

The Crusade Reviewed by: guitartilldeath, on october 12, 2006

Sound: The band is called Trivium and once again, they're here again with new material that I'm sure, isn't going to disappoint any of their current fans. The insanely catchy riffs, to-die-for solos and generally good musicianship from these guys really show what they have to offer in the new album of theirs. I have to admit that these guys do sound a bit like Metallica, Iron Maiden and Slayer, knowing that those bands influenced them a lot but in no way does Trivium plagiarize them in any way. On a whole, the guitars, drums, vocals and bass in this album sound excellent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album aren't going to let you down either. From what I'd heard, there's really nothing cheesy going on besides the songs being so catchy and fitting in with the instruments. Even though lead vocalist Matt Heafy had decided to make the album much more melodic by not having that much growls in this album, it surely didn't upset me even I enjoyed his growling in their previous album, Ascendancy. The good thing is that the choruses are still remaining strong as they were on the album Ascendancy by how catchy everything is. I already had a few songs continuously ringing in my head after listening to them for the first few times, so that's something good to look out for and there's really no stopping you from singing your heart out along with the catchy songs in public. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion I really think that this album is as good as their other album Ascendancy, and probably even better. There just happened to be more songs that I really like on this album than I did with the other one. My favorite songs on this album include "Ignition", "Detonation", "Entrance Of The Conflagration", "Anthem (We Are The Fire)", "And Sadness Will Sear", "This World Can't Tear Us Apart" and "Tread The Floods". The real stand-outs in this album for me would really be "Anthem (We Are The Fire)" and "And Sadness Will Sear". The whole of "Anthem" is a real treat, just as it is. The way the song's so catchy and how it kind of resembles the song "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation" by purposefully having a few bars at the end where there's actually a deliberate time for the band to collaborate with the crowd and get them to start following what Matt Heafy's saying. "And Sadness Will Sear" on the other hand is a real head-banger in the intro of the song and the whole thing in general sounds very heavy indeed, as this song's played on a 7-string guitar to really give it that mean feel. Moving on, I think the only bad thing about this album is that the electric guitars may have taken the spotlight for too long and the drumming wasn't too impressive in this album, even there were a few 'wow' moments such as the drumming in "Tread The Floods" when Travis L. Smith gives us almost 20 seconds of pure constant double bassing at over 200bpm a few times. The drumming on this album is really good overall but the bassist on the other hand really wasn't heard. There was just way too much emphasis on the guitar in this album and it would've been great if we got to hear an equal proportion of all the instruments working together. So if this album were stolen, I'd definitely buy it again because I'd miss having everything really, including the insane guitar solos, great drumming, melodic vocals and pretty much having the songs stuck in my head. Anyway I hope you guys found my review helpful and you might not agree with me regarding some things I wrote but it's all written solely on my own opinion. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: demonsheep, on october 16, 2006

Sound: Good guitar: Corey and Matt have insane solo/duels throughout the whole album. not so pleased with the bass, the only really amazing bass is behind "Anthem (We Are The Fire)", "Becoming The Dragon", and "The Crusade" (which is an instrumental anyway, and the only good song on the album, apart from "Anthem (We Are The Fire)." The drums throughout the album are amazing, but they really need to be more tuneful, rather than just hitting the cymbal every other note. A few of the heavier tracks use a 7-string guitar, you can tell. It doesn't help, theyr still awful. they should have stayed with screaming, not just singing. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are really badly written, they don't fit in with the music at all, except for two songs, and they are almost as if written by a 4 year old. Not good Trivium, not good. Should have stayed screaming, then at least nobody would hear the awful lyrics. Not as good as Ascendancy or Ember To Inferno. // 2

Overall Impression: Nothing on Ember To Inferno, Rubbish compared to Ascendancy. only good songs are Anthem (We Are The Fire), The Crusade. Nothing to love, except the guitar breaks. Hate lyrics, way Matt sings, lack of bass soloing. Not gona get another copy if it's stolen. Not worth the 10.99 it cost in my opinion. // 4

The Crusade Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is absolutely overwhelming and astonishing. This band will be the future of metal along with Lamb of God and Slipknot. Matt and Corey are amazing guitarists and their solos are just overwhelmingly amazing and the breakdown's in this album are cool too and I like the cool effects they use in this song. The drums on this album have improved too but I thought that it would be really cool to have a drum intro like in Ascendancy (Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr). The bass in this album is incredible and I love that little bass solo it does in The Crusade. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are absolutely astounding and Matt heafy can sing about anything from rage, politics to f-u all and just stuff. matt is amazing at writing lyrics I mean he isnt one of those guys that sings about "Boo hoo ho my girlfriend dumped me whaaa whaa". Matt Heafy sings about how the world is becoming corrupt an all and homophobia and racism are being major factors of how this world is now. // 10

Overall Impression: This album can compare to some old school Metallica and the riffs are kind of thrashy (Slayer and Pantera). Every song on this album amazed and when you listen to Trivium you cannot say even one of their songs sucked I mean they are so talented at what they do and they are not a pussy band like Simple Plan. I love everything about this album and I hate nothing about it since it blew me away. If it were stolen/lost I will litteraly beat up the person and stab them and if it was lost I would buy like 5 new copies. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: boyan89, on december 06, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album blew me away and is absolutely astonishing and not one second am I disappointed with the sound. The guitars on this album were just amazing considering that Matt and Corey are both very skilled guitarists and they pull off amazing riffs and absolutely insane solos I mean there isnt that much modern bands with this guitar skill. Paolo is an amzing bassist and he blew me away when I heard it because man he is one skilled bassist and I really love that solo he does in the the instrumetal song (The Crusade) and I hope they have more songs like that. Travis is one skilled drummer I mean man he just keeps improving with every album that Trivium do but too bad they didn't have a drum intro on this album like they did on Ascendancy but nonetheless the drums just blew away. So yah the sound just blew me away and I can't until their next album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing Matt Heafy can sing about anything like politics, racism, sexism, honour, selfishness and a lot of other crazy shit that people have don't wrong. I really love the way that Matt writes his lyrics and he is the best lyric writer in the world right at this moment because well he is actually sending messages across the world. I'm kind of glad they moved away from the screaming but I really love their screaming and Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno were f--king amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other albums because Trivium are one skilled band I'll tell you that right now and I know a lot of skilled bands but Trivium are one of my favourite bands right now and their music just blew most of the albums in this world out of the water. The most impressive songs on this album well, I don't really know because all of them send out a massage to me especially "This World can't Tear Us Apart" because I feel that way for my girlfriend and I'm serious I don't think any hate can pull us away. I love everything about this album and I hate nothing about this album and when I heard it I was like WOW man these guys are f--king skilled at what they do. There isn't anything to hate about this album I swear! If it were stolen I would like rip of the guys head of whoever stole this album because I absolutily love it. If it were lost I would buy five copies I swear to god! Get off you lazy ass and get this album right now I swear you will be blown away unless you listen to pussy music! // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: NoSoupForYou711, on october 12, 2006

Sound: Well I have heard many metal albums over my lifetime, and though many roused my attention, only a select few truely inspired me and we're imbedded in my mind even months after hearing it. The Crusade will be one of those indefinetely. The sound has really changed immensely from that of Ascendancy and ETI and for the better I can honestly state imo. But many will argue Matthew K. Heafy's new "Hettfield-esque" vocals will tarnish this bands place in the top metal ranks. I would disagree with all of those statements. If you listen close you will hear Heafy's own signature vocal style, and his melodic soft singing is very reminiscent of Ascendancy. Even the guitars have changed. The distortion seems much heavier and the guitars themselves rather than Gibsons and Ibanezes now consist of Deans. The solo's and tight intricate guitarwork on this album will blow all of Ascendancy out of the water, especially The Crusade's 8 and a half minute instrumental masterpiece title track "The Crusade". That song is by far the embodiment of Triviums new sound in a nutshell. Swift time sig changes, changing scales completely mid-song. Even the new useage of a 7-string electric and some more acoustic work from none other than Heafy. Even Corey's shredding insanity has drastically improved. Paolo has grown from being just a rythm bassist to busting out cranked up bass solos and bass lines all throughout the album. Matt and Corey have also develped a strong liking for Wah solos, whammy squeals (via Matt), and arpeggios of almost any kind. In all, the sound in my eyes is some of the best I have ever heard in my life. // 10

Lyrics: Matt's lyrics have dramatically increased in substance. He has moved on from simply singing of his own personal issues, to more global socio-political lyrics. Do not distress however, he didn't go all political on his fans. In such songs as "Unrepentant" and "Entrance Of The Conflagration" he takes his usual strong stand against child abuse but cranked up about 12 notchest. Entrance being about a woman that drowns her children for fear of satan, and Unrepentant a poor father slaughters his children. While songs like "Anthem (We Are The Fire)" and "The Rising" kind of lack lyrical brilliance, they are still good fist shaking songs. He also sings of a true story, the tale of the young man Sheppard whom was tied up to a fence, beaten, and left for dead all for his sexuality ("And Saddness Will Sear"). "There is a lot of negativity, but hopefully it will spark up some want to do something" said Heafy about the lyrics on the album. But those that do not like all the negativity will enjoy "This World Can't Tear Us Apart" as Cory describes to be "baby-making music" on Mike Davis's Rock Show. // 9

Overall Impression: As a whole the album definetely has inspired me and has enveloped me in sheer musical brilliance from people that are barely at Americas legal drinking age. Even though it has it's weak points in my opinion (ironically Paolo's songs "Anthem" and "The Rising") The Crusade more than makes up for it with other songs. The songs that have really stuck in my mind (though I passionately love everyone of them) are "Entrance Of The Conflagration" for it's lyrical topic and the brilliant solo part in the middle, "Ignition" for the very mournful chorus, "Unrepentant" and "Tread The Floods" because Corey wrote the guitarwork for them (accpet Matt's solos of course) and he is an extremely talented writer, "And Saddness Will Sear" for the intense yet simplistic 7-string guitar riffs, and of course last but not least "The Crusade" for it is just sheerly musical brilliance. I will not elaborate on "The Crusade" because I do not wish to spoil this amazing song, but believe me it is everything Trivium claims it to be. In conclusion If this album were stolen I'd sure as hell buy this metallic masterpiece yet again. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: METSOAD, on october 12, 2006

Sound: Wow, if Ascendancey pointed to it then this has nailed it. Trivium are slowly but surley becoming the best band of the this decade. This, their "make or break" third studio album has blown anything else that they band has done to date, even their cover of "Master of Puppets" completly out of the water. The guitar work of Matt Heafy and Corey Belieau is simply mind blowing. Paulo has learnt how to be an excellent bass player and is one of the best around. Travis Smith is one of the consumate Metal Drummers with amazing footwork and brillaint fiils. The all conquering technical ability is not only astounding for a person of any age, but the fact they don't actully show off the virtuoso talents in a vulgar like other bands thier age such as Avenged Sevenfold. // 10

Lyrics: Well it's a massive step up from the sometimes unfiiting although generally great lyrics of Ascendancy. The lyrics follow a general theme of defiance and almost punk style anti-authourity which is becoming a more common feature of metal music these days and it is a good sign. A sign Trivium know how to write good music based around similar ideas. Matt Heafy's vocals are excellent, they made most screaming singers sound average with Ascendancy and now he is proving that is singing voices is absolutly brillaint and fits in perfectly with the fast paced metal that Trivium plays so well. // 10

Overall Impression: Ignition is ferciously heavy and fast, thrash in its purest form but the acoustic guitar parts are also amazing and the lyrics are totally brilliant, it is a massive step up from their previous work which was already amazing. Detonation is simply ridiculous, despite the fact the song appears to have no structure it is fast, heavy, technically excellent and has 3 amazing guitar solos. Also one mean scream about halfway through the song. Entrance of the Conflagiration is Metallica worship in it's purist form. The solos are amazing, the riffs are "Creeping Death" like and the lyrics are dark, depressing and anti-religion. One of the albums highllights. Anthem is not the best song on the album but what it does have in it's favour is a sparkling chorus riff and an amazing guitar harmony. Unrepentant sounds like "Through the Never" from The Black Album at the beginning but goes into another bit of amazing thrash metal with excllent vocal harmonies. And Sadness Will Sear has an amazing opening riff and creepy vocals in the verse, it could be a single at a push but could be just about too heavy. Becoming the Dragon is one of the best songs on the album if you want to mosh and go nuts. It has one of those riffs that exumes heaviness and Metal from it's very veins. The guitar solo is mean and brillaint also. To The Rats is violent lyrically and quite simple in terms of playing, but in this song Matt Heafy sounds slightly different to like he does in the rest of the album and his vocal bit at the end is odd. The World Can't Tear Us Apart is quite soppy lyrically but it is a brilliant song and perhaps the unlikley highlight of the album, in my opinion the very best song. I think that they tried to do another Dying In Your Arms and came up with a Masterpeice. Tread The Floods starts a bit like a Bullet for My Valentine song then proceeds to totally kick the welsh emo/metallers backsides with more hardcore riffage and a couple of mean screams in the verses. Contempt breeds Contamination is freakishly heavy and loud. The true peak of this song is the guitar playing of the verses which is rather awesome and cool. This is the song the Megadeth fans will love the most. The Rising is upbeat like the Anthem but is better in the fact that the riffs are overall better and more accessable. The Crusade is an amzing instrumental that sounds it would fit into a Metallica album of the '80s as it is one of the best instrumental tracks I have heard since the likes of Orion. The bass guitaring in the soft section is simple incredible and a direct homage to Cliff while guitaring is a direct pointer to exactly what Trivium stand for and have done on thier previous work and this album, it is a tidal wave of metal. This is one of the albums of the decade and it has to compete with Slayer, Motorhead, Muse, Chili Peppers and most importantly their tour buddies Iron Maiden to contend with. They have proven their arrogance is justifyed and thier hard work has payed off. Trivium have helped bring Thrash Metal back, Matt Heafy is now a certifyed Metal God and his name will soon go down in Metal history books next to Tom Araya and james Hetfield as Kings of Thrash. Long live Trivium. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: TheNthDimension, on october 12, 2006

Sound: Whether you like them or not, it's been rather hard to miss Trivium lately. Although it's still good solid metalcore, the thrashy influences to which the band lay claim really show through on this album and the pace rarely drops. The guitar work is very impressive, with some catchy rhythms and impressive solos, there isn't a single song without at least one. The influence of bands such as Iron Maiden shows through particularly clearly in some of the harmony parts as well as in other parts of the songs ("You will slaughter/All your daughters", anyone) and some power metal influences also shine through on songs such as "The Rising" and to a lesser extent "Anthem (We Are The Fire)". The songs are mostly quite similar, the above mentioned "Anthem" and "The Rising" being the most catchy. Also standing out are "And Sadness Will Sear", a slower song about the murder of Matthew Shepard, and the closing title track "The Crusade", an eight minute instrumental showcase. Overall, the album is both catchy and technically complex, and shows that Trivium have advanced musically since Ascendancy, a notable difference being that Matt sings a lot more (but more about that below, of course). The songs do feel like they lack some originality and it's a bit like playing Spot The Influence at times, but overall this is a very good album and I for one look forward to hearing it live. // 9

Lyrics: First, let me say the lyrics on this album are absolutely appalling. The criticism of politics and religion which permeates the songs (try opener "Ignition" and "Unrepentant" to see what I mean) seems thin and forced, and the scansion is completely terrible, meaning that Matt has to sing some bits so fast to make them fit they come out seeming garbled and hard to understand. In terms of content, "Becoming The Dragon" stands out here as being somewhat less forced, being written about a book one of the band members likes. And the bit many of you will have been waiting for, Matt's "new" voice. Apart from a few "Dying In Your Arms" style choruses, it sounds like Hetfield. Even the band admit it. It will be a turn off for some, but I don't see it's a problem, that's who he's influenced by, that's what he sounds like. You'll have to decide for yourself. This section still gets two out of ten because the lyrics are so bad. // 2

Overall Impression: I like it. It's a step forward to Trivium developing their own style, although at times it seems as though they're trying too hard to be all their favourite thrash metal heroes at once, and although the lyrics are awful in my opinion, the music makes up for it and I would buy it again if I lost it, basically, it's good, but I can't see it making many converts. A lot of people will have made their minds up already and Trivium do little to prove them wrong. // 9

The Crusade Reviewed by: IndieLee, on october 13, 2006

Sound: If you've been hearing what other people say, you would probably hear they sound much like Metallica. In my opinion, the whole sound of it all is still greatly Trivium, it's got that distinct sound to me, with the palm mutes, fast picking and of course, the insane solo and composition of the songs. From the previous album, the new sound for Trivium would be his vocals and the bits I hate, being the sharp pauses and sudden changes of the rhythm. The drums, I didn't really like. I don't like the whole snare, cymbal, bass bashing. But when the chorus comes, all is restored with some technique amongst them. // 9

Lyrics: Matt Heafy can definitely sing better. As much as I loved the screaming in the Ascendancy album, he does good enough and sometimes better in some of these songs without his screams. I don't like singing when the drums are bashing all at once (as explained above), it sucks up the effectiveness of the vocals and drowns it. When the chorus comes in the songs, I think it's absolutely amazing - spot on. Heafy can dish the vocals out amazingly. Along with his superb singing, the lyrics themselves are outstanding- each set of lyrics mix well with the music and digs deep into emotions. He blows me away each time with his talent to pick out words that you would not expect. If not the amazing guitar, the lyrics are definitely what makes them Trivium. Overall, Heafy has improved with his singing, one thing I would add is when he stretches along with the guitar, I don't like that (explained later). The backing vocals in songs such as, "Anthem (We Are The Fire)" were a new thing, but it became to grow on me, first judgements should not be the final ones. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Ignition - a nice heavy riff at the start, and immediately Matt comes in with his lyrics. At this point, two things I hate, as I've said before, the drum bashing and his word stretching. Behind it is a great guitar riff going along well with vocals. The chorus is the high point in this song. A nice low-to-high solo by Matt which fits perfectly with the song. The cut-off of the electric guitar was a nice touch, I think. Definitely a good start to the album. 02. Detonation - first time I heard this song was when they played it live, I was going to cry at the lack of greatness in this song. But thankfully I kept my hopes up, his singing in this reinforces my comment on the stretching, I can stand it sometimes and it suits it sort of, but all in all, I don't like it. The break in it after "Det-ton-na-tion" is bad, the drums and the guitar. I'm not a musical master, but the sliding sound puts me off - after that is the solo. The solo I just hated, it sounded like a Darrell Abbott solo but lacking in length, and if I didn't want to go deaf I would have heard the solo after the harmonic at the start. Again, in this song, there's a nice break but with the drums this time. The chorus comes in and along comes another solo (this time, great). I love the rest of this song till the end, solos and everything. 03. Entrance Of The Conflagration - this song is an example of Matt's mastery (I think) in lyrics, even looking at the song title, I was amazed at how he could fit it into the song. It was pure talent. The guitar has an awesome riff with nice fills of "ooh"'s. When I heard the lick just before the solos I thought it was all going to crash and burn but it flew right into the first solo which caught me off guard. It returns back into the intro riff and then another verse. Finishing off with a nice low note. 04. Anthem (We Are The Fire) - this song has an awesome intro, with a short solo by Matt. His lyrics are fantastic with backing vocals it is such a perfect bundle. For a great song, this is surprisingly short. Nice quick verses and then extended parts with the backing vocals only and then the solos come in by Corey, Matt then back to Corey. After all that, Matt does some "Woah-oh"'s and "Yeah"'s along with the crowd, which I thought was very early metal style but it was a great song with the backing vocals as it was an "anthem". Repeats the chorus a few times and then a ending solo by Matt. Well done. 05. Unrepentant - this song is exceptionally long, excluding the last instrumental song. The guitar is alright in this, with the drum crashing in second bar. This is a song which I don't like Matt's lyrics, I can't put it into the right words, but it's just lower standard than the rest of the lyrics of the album. The song overall is amazing, if the lyrics were only better in my opinion. You can tell that the song builds up throughout it and eventually a solo comes in after the intro is repeated. It's mostly repeated and then ends, and this is somewhat weird but the guitar comes in again for a few seconds and cuts out again. 06. And Sadness Will Sear - I love the high-gain guitar at the start of this. This is one of my favorite songs yet on this album. The guitar gives a creepy feel with the song, as Matt sings. Both guitars come in, in the chorus and it very climatic but dies down into the next verse. The chorus comes again, and an interlude. This is all building higher and higher. And Matt does what Matt Heafy does best - a killer solo. I just love it. It's all composed awesomely, the chorus is repeated and Corey comes in with a nice ending solo as Matt sings on. Excellent song. 07. Becoming The Dragon - this song sort of reminds me of Heafy's origin, Japan, the fact that there's a Dragon and he mentions about koi fish. There is some screaming in this song which makes it a good song to listen to but as you listen more closely to the lyrics it is a bit cheesy but other things compensate for it. What sticks this song out of all the others is the bass solo at the end, as well as a solo by Heafy, pure class. 08. To The Rats - a speedy riff opens this song, with a drum bash. The tempo of this is great, it suits it so well. I really like the lyrics of this song, not to spoil it too much, it sort of goes "Break-ever-y-bone in your-face!" and then the chorus which I thought was great. A nice scream or two in this song with some edgy solos, again, with whammy and harmonics, etc. At the end it slows down and Heafy ends it with his awesome vocals on the one word. 09. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - hell yes! It's so hard to pick this song or "And Sadness Will Sear", this is f--king awesome! The guitar playing along with Matt's vocals, breaking when he breaks, playing when he sings and the chorus is the most melodic. This whole song is the closest to melodic of them all, just like "Dying In Your Arms" of the Ascendancy album. Great guitar build-ups and excellent solo. This is definitely a chunk out of the cake. 10. Tread The Floods - this song reminds me of "Suffocating Sight", a good riff intro and then breaks into a heavy guitar. The lyrics are very much like Metallica, I think. Sort of like, "Master Of Puppets" maybe. His scream before the chorus is good, and the pace of the chorus makes it fitting for the quick guitar riff. Corey comes in with a solo which is sort of like the solo in "Dying In Your Arms", quick, slick and quite the expertly composed one always loved his solos in the previous album. 11. Contempt Breeds Contamination - this goes back to the sort of new sound Trivium has brought up. Not the best I don't think so, I reckon this is a song which shows how powerful his voice is. The song has some good punches, the lyrics are little iffy though "41 shots", "19 times", a bit too random for me. 12. The Rising - this song starts off with a nice riff and a opening solo. It makes me picture a march or something, something to prove a point because with the lyrics you can easily picture it if told. He addresses 'us' in the lyrics. A powerful crash of the snare is signature in this song along with a heavy guitar, nothing fast just slow, heavy and strong. And what else to break that than another solo. I like the way the bass was heard in this song. The marching effect continues till the end. 13. The Crusade - an instrumental, I won't type on about this (I've typed too much or non-relevant stuff probably), all I would say is that it's from the previous Trivium, the new Trivium and bits of Metallica. It's a great composition and is the perfect way to end the album. Still there? Awesome, well, just to end it, I would definately recommend this album to anyone who likes quick riffs, heavy drums and amazing vocals once again. And previous Trivium fans who have seconds thought or near-final decision on not to get this, don't be fooled. It is packed with amazing compositions and if it isn't too bad to say, it's even great to sing to. If I lost this, I would buy two. One to listen/lend to friends, the second one to keep in my room so if I ever lost one I knew where the other would be. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: headfirst, on october 13, 2006

Sound: The Sound for this album is amazing, no doubt helped by Matts new razorback and Corey's Razorback V (The owner of the very first one ever. the guitar work on this album is exceptional, very tight with some very hard pieces for Matt to play while singing, infact he admitted that one of Corey's masterpieces called "Tread The Floods" might be too hard for him to play live. The solo's are as fast and as amazing as you would expect from Trivium, though not as many of them are haramonised as they were in ascendency, which obviously isn't all that bad, makes them very fast and very powerful. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are much more focused on worldwide issues rather than Matts own life, with the starting track "Ignition" talking about america being a very paranoid place trying to force people not to be different, which seems to be the theme for a lot of the tracks such as "Contempt Breeds Contamination" and "And Sadness Will Sear" though that track is about a man named Matthew Sheppard who was strapped to a fence by 2 guys and beaten to death because he was gay, and the song follows along the events and the sadness that followed. // 9

Overall Impression: Greatest album I have ever heard, and I've heard quite a few in my time, even surpasses Master of Puppets and Cowboys From Hell. First album I've ever listened to and liked every single track, very very rare. All of the guitar work is astounding and the vocals just work so well with the new guitar style, it really does have that old school thrash kind of sound but at the same time Trivium add a whole lot of their own passion into the works, making it the single greatest album and the best buy ever. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2006

Sound: Here is something that evryone should have looked forward to, a real metal album. The sound brings out intense, fast, old school thrash, the likings of Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Testament, Anthrax, and Slayer with a bit of melody thrown in for good measure. The guiatr playing is fantastic, like some people would sell their soul to the devil to play like that, with tight awesome rhythms, and epic sols and Megadeth-esque trade-offs. The bass and drums sound tighter than ever. I mean for someone their age these guys have unbelievable talent. // 10

Lyrics: This has been my complaint about the last few years with the thrash/death/metalcore scene (whatever you call it). The singing is that same talentless growl/screaming that everyone so likes to copy each other, but Matt has a real articulate voice that seems to just drive the intensity of the music. The lyrics are ranged in ways that some resemble Kill Em All Metallica, that say their going to be an unstoppable Juggarnaut (Anthem, The Rise). Others deal with being a badass (To The Rats), or war (Ignition, Detonation). Most of the others are about murder such as Entrance or And Sadness Will Seer. I mean Matt's been busy writing some teriffic lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: How the hell did they make such an incredible album in just a year? This is just a flawless tribute to the old school, but Trivium is reinventing it for the new millenium. All the songs are great but the best one by far is the insane instrumental closing title track. This album makes Ascendency look like crap (even though I like Ascendency). Look, their are a lot of fans who hate them now, but if you like Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, and Pantera and you hate this album than you hate those bands. If it was stolen I would find whoever took it and murder them brutally. If it was lost I would be pissed for next couple days and definatley buy it again. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: shugo449, on october 16, 2006

Sound: Trivium's new album, The Crusade, is an ambitious metal album. It took many turns and diverted from the last album. This is in how lots of riffs are faster and there is a lot more focus on the whole song instead of blazing solos, as well as singer and back-up guitarist Matt Heafy singing, not screaming like some one just shoved a knife into his throat. The guitars sound a lot different than on Ascendancy, in a bad way. It seems like they got new gear. I think the other two albums guitar tones are better. This album flows a lot better as a whole than their last two albums, Ascendancy and Ember to Inferno, and they have obviously grown as musicians. A lot of the songs have a lot cooler parts, too. I'll give you an overview of the album: 01. Ignition - a burning opening track, with a cool chorus, but the verses sound like something Rob Zombie would do. 02. Detonation - I'm listening to this right now, and thinking, amazing. This song starts out fast and real Metallica sounding, but then after the first solo, there is a real cool and catchy up-beat part you won't be able to get out of your head. My favorite track on The Crusade. 03. Entrance Of The Conflagration - real fast, real heavy. Starts out with a little vocal do-dad, then it hits this amazingly heavy riff and they just blaze throughout it and after the second chorus before solo Matt gets back to his roots and screams "Entrance Of The Conflagration!" twice. A hit single and one of the highlights of the disk. 04. Anthem (We Are The Fire) - another hit single, this is another fast track, but instead of screaming about desperateness, the whole song is a bout standing up for yourself and sticking up each other, giving it a happier feel. Very catchy. 05. Unepentant - this isn't the best track, but it still is pretty good. I like it, but it's still not the best. In the first part of the chorus, Matt sounds like Wierd Al Yankovic, taking away from the very heavy feel of everything else. 06. And Sadness Will Sear - this is a real cool track. It has a good heavy feel all the way through, and lots of hard riffs and crap. But what gets me is that the solo just diverts from the rest of the song and is real AC/DC like, more classic rock than metal feel. 07. Becoming The Dragon - ok, could use more body. Even though it has a cool solo it just fails to hook you; there's no real hooky riff in the begining or anything to make you wanna listen to it all. Another track where Matt does some screaming. 08. To The Rats - this is my least favorite track. It has cool riffs and leads and a ripping solo, but it just doesn't have that much. Still a good song, Trivium can't write a bad song. 09. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - a slower track. It has a cool intro lead and a cool verse right after that. IT flows very well and each part is just really catchy. The guitar is more layed back and easier to listen to. It has a ripping solo in the middle and a blazing one at the end, but they are both quick and to the point; the whle song is quick and to the point. A good, simple, and catchy one. Also shortest track at 3:30. 10. Tread The Floods - cool intro with a simple riff and then all of a sudden these really fast ascending scales. Real fast and a good song to headbang to. Really cool and fast chorus and aa nice solo, too. Pretty good. 11. Contempt Breeds Contamination - another fast one, not much to say about it. I'm headbanging to it as I'm typing this. it's good, but doesn't really stick out. 12. The Rising - another single, it is catchy and has a real cool solo, but I think it's not that very special, most are better than this. 13. The Crusade - wow! 8:19 and a instrumental. Complete with I think five guitar solos and a bass solo. Yes, a bass solo! Real awesome, they definetly broke there backs to write this one. Some riffs are told Slayer fast. But some are almost like a Fall Out Boy riff, real complex and astonishing. I love this track. // 7

Lyrics: A lot of these tracks sing about killing or suicide (Detonation, Entrance Of The Conflagration, Unrepentant, And Sadness Will Sear, Becoming the Dragon, Tread the Floods, Contempt Breeds Contamination and The Rising). That's a lot, and it doesn't exactly perk you up. Others sing about no one being able to take Matt away from their lover (This World Can't Tear Us Apart) and standing together and helping others(Anthem). Those are the only Lyrical bright spots, sadly. There are two tracks that sing about killing your children. These are "Entrance of the Conflagration" and "Unrepentant". "Entrance of the Conflagration" is about the tragic incedent in Texas where a pastor's wife pled to being insane after drowning her four children to death on purpose in her bathtub. It also sings of being possessed by Satan and blasts the bible and Jesus, as well as singing about suicide. "Unrepentant" is a bout a man who thinks his full-grown daughters commit adultry on their husbands and kills them because he doesn't want them to bring shame to his family. Well, if people don't look at you with shame after killing your four daughters, how do they look at you? // 6

Overall Impression: I got this on the release day, Oct. 13, and I was expecting to get blasted away after hearing "Entrance Of The Conflagration". I was getting what it thought until I hit halfway through the album, there until "The Crusade" it is all pretty the same and blah. I was truely dissapointed. If I lost it, I would just buy the good tracks on iTunes, if it stinking worked! For a Trivium fan like me, you need this but for someone that doesn't die for them, I wouldn't recomend it. Get Ascendancy. // 8

The Crusade Reviewed by: finisher, on november 03, 2006

Sound: The sound and style of this album is very different from the previous two. This album sounds like a mix of Metallica, Pantera, Slayer and any other old school metal heads hero bands. Matt Heafy doesn't yell or scream any more so the songs are a lot more melodic. The guitar work is different than the last album, it's just not all string skipping the songs have good structure and cachy choruses. The guitar solos and drums are still insane and the bassist has really improved. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are based mostly on government.And I think one of the songs is about a book about dragons. Matt Heafy has really improved as a singer since he doesn't scream anymore. The choruses are still really cachy. "We are the fire" is the cachy chorus in Anthem. // 9

Overall Impression: I think the best songs are: Anthem, a real hair '80s inspired metal song that kind of sounds like hair metal, good chorus, solos and bridge. Detonation, although I don't really like the beginning, halfway through the song it gets good and kind of sounds similar to Dying In Your Arms from Asendancy. The Crusade, one of the craziest songs I'v ever heard, some crazy sweet tapping and sweep picking, a couple bass solos and some impressive drums, this song is the best on the album. Overall I think this album is great. If you like old school Metallica you'll love it. If it were stolen I'd buy it twice more just in case. // 9

The Crusade Reviewed by: deathbat411, on november 06, 2006

Sound: In this album, Trivium took a turn that I might compare to what Avenged Sevenfold did for City of Evil. Matt Heafy has stopped screaming (mostly, there is still some). Trivium in the Crusade has started to sound more like Metallica. The Crusade features a wide variety of genres, ranging from Speed Metal, to '80s metal, to screaming metal. The guitars parts are very complex and sound awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Heafy mostly normal sings on the Crusade, with a voice comparable to James Hetfield. The lyrics themselves, are very interesting. 2 of the songs on this album have lyrics about murder stories. (Entrance of the Conflagration, and Unrepentant) It has a song about a man that is killed by policemen because of his skin color (Comtempt Breeds Contamination). The Crusade also features a few songs about what society is becoming these days (Ignition and Detonition). And last but not least just made up story/songs. // 10

Overall Impression: I love Crusade just as much as Ascendancy. They have token a turn in their music style. Their guitars parts are very well produced and have great lyrics to accompany them. My favorite songs include Entrance of the Conflagration, Unrepentant, To the Rats, and Tread the Floods. I love absolutately everything on this album and their is nothing to hate about, so get yer ass to the CD store or iTunes and buy Crusade, dammit! // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: vodkaboy, on november 14, 2006

Sound: This album isn't as good as it's made out to be. There's good guitar riffs and solo's etc, but the lyrics were repetitive. Trivium have really gone down from the heaviness of Ascendancy, which I found bad as Ascendancy was an awesome album. They've lost that unique Trivium sound, now they sound like Metallica. // 6

Lyrics: As I said the yrics are repetative so the songs can get a bit boring. I didn't really enjoy the singing because as it sounds to much like Metallica, I prefered Ascendancy as I thought Matt Heafy's shouting was awesome. So I prefered Ascendancy to this album. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall some of the guitar riffs were good, and like Ascendancy good solo's, but I thought the vocals, let it down. And also the drumming wasn't as good, not much of the crazy double bass stuff. Though I thought Anthem (We Are The Fire) was good as it had a good riff, and a good solo, but the repetitive let it down. So all in all I didn't like the album much. Somewhere between Bad and average. Oh and if your wondering why it sounds bad when I say they sound like Metallica, I don't like Metallica. // 6

The Crusade Reviewed by: Spaleno, on november 23, 2006

Sound: The sound was impressive. Every song on the album gave good potential. Ignition being the first track really gave a good first impression. Detonation really had it. I do think the song lacked a bit in the solo sections but it easily picked up in the outro. Entrance of the conflagration I think was right on the target in perfection, but again the song lacked a bit in the solo sections. Anthem (We Are The Fire) really showed another side of trivium whether in a positive or negative way. The song had a '80s touch to it. And sadness will sear is a great song and you could really tell in the verses it had a james hetfield influence. Unrepentant had an outstanding chorus which was an amazing highlight of the song itself. Becoming the dragon really showed a metal-hard rock side instead of the regular common metal core. The interlude was outstanding and everyone would get the nerve to rock out. The song lacked in the solo sections, once again. Contempt breeds contamination in my opinion had that "Fight Fire With Fire" attitude to it. Great solo, great chorus & awesome outro. The rising I think was one of the main songs with a penatonic blues feel to it that most songs with soloing didn't have, not saying it was positive or negative decision. To the rats I think was the highlight of aggresion on the album. The "in your face" and against everyone showed great thrash. I think early metal heads and early megadeth & metallica lovers might consider this. This world can't tear us apart was a great song almost in the same state as "Dying In Your Arms" but I think the 7th string and the way it was played on guitar ruined the song. On a song like this I would rather recommend them tuning drop d or just finding more of personal touch with the song. Tread the floods in my opinion was the top song. The solo was absolutely amazing. The song itself had a great impact on the way the album flowed. The last and final, the grand daddy "The Crusade" I think had an amazing intro but then fell into a off task section which ruined the song. A lot of the parts were fitting but at the same time a lot of riffs seemed like they were just thrown in or something. I did enjoy the interlude, almost had a orion sequence to it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were acceptable. Some of the lyrics were to plain or as I would say undescriptive but other wise everything seemed ok. I do think a lot of the older lyric writing was more descriptive and more detailed. I think matt heafy really learned how to express his natural voice. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it does deserve a great spot. Ascendancy was in my opinion matched up pretty well along with ember to inferno. I think the most impressive songs were entrance of the conflagration, unrepentant, tread the floods and the crusade. I love equal amount of progressive and just plain metal that was put in the album. One thing I really don't like about this album is the 7 string guitars. It sounds smujy (I don't know the grammer to this word). Overall the album was an outstanding album. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: Silent_gojira, on january 27, 2007

Sound: They are all really good songs but it would have been better if they had stick to screaming. The only problem with this CD is somtimes you can hear the bass mess up a few times. The music style is diffrent Matt doesn't scream anymore but it still sounds great. Well Corey still screams like in To the Rats and Detonation. You can hear Matt scream a little bit in Tread the Floods. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics meanings were about big huge murders in the past. With some love type song like This world can't tear us apart pretty much has the same meaning as Dying in your arms from here second album Acendancy. Matt Heafy doesn't really scream as much. Some people say he doesn't scream becuase he broke his vocal chords, that's not true he said he finally learnd how to sing so now this is the way he is but I hope he gets back to screaming, still sounds good though. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say it's way way better sound than Acendancy better! The songs I recommend you listen to is Entrance Of The Conflagrtion, Tread The Floods, Anthem (We Are The Fire), Crusade, To The Rats, Ingnition and This World Can't Tear Us Apart. I would buy a new one when it gets sonlen or lost but that's not going to happen. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: Broken One, on june 25, 2007

Sound: Trivium. People either love them or hate them, it seems like. I am one of the ones that love them. I think they are the best thing that's happened to metal in awhile. Matt and Corey have inspired me so much. Anyway onto the album. This album has some very killer guitar and all the band memeber have really become great musicians and they still are very young. Paulo has become quite a bass player, and he even plays solos on the songs "Becoming the Dragon" and "The Crusade." Travis Smith is a great drummer, and Matt and Corey just freakin own at guitar. As you all know they use a seven string on a few of the tracks. Anyway this is a great album, regardless what a lot of people have to say. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are based on problems in the world rather than on Ascendancy which was more about personal problems. Some of the songs are about real stories. OK. now to the vocals. Just becase Matt is doing the James Heatfield thing does not mean Trivium is ripping off Metallica. For one James doesnt't even sing like that anymore, and 2 Metallica has influenced them a lot and they look up to Metallica. Not even all the vocals are like Heatfield, Matt does some of his own singing style. // 9

Overall Impression: Great CD. I highly recomend it to thrash metal lovers that haven't allready checked it out. The title track instrumental is completly insane. Ripping guitar, it even has a bass solo. Trivium are some of the best musicians out there. I love everything about this Album, I can't even imagine how they will be on the next one. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: corrda00, on october 17, 2007

Sound: Trivium. One word to describe them. Awesome. The skill of these people is crazy. I'd have to say that Mat Heafy is the best rhythm guitarists ever, I can barley play it yet alone sing to it. Travis' astonishingly fast drums just add a little more to the album. Me being a bass player myself can truly appreciate Palao's bass solos in Becoming the dragon, The crusade and broken one(only on itunes version)All very good for a band only in their early '20s. 01. Ignition - I love the heavy intro, it's so fast, and Travis' double bass crazy tom stuff strings it together well. As like many trivium songs it has a nice calmer breakdown/chorus. I love the fast guitar in the verses and Mats crazy solo. The outro could use some work though. 02. Detonation - it's almost too good to describe. It flows well from Ignition, I thought both were the same song when I first heard it. The verse has a good feel/rhythm too it. It brings me back to their old stuff with the screaming. Mat as usual has a crazy solo with a lot of whammy. Now the best part, the breakdown, you just can't help to fall in love with this part. I like how the drums add just the perfect rhythm to the song. It ends with a great trademark dual solo. 03. Entrance Of The Conflagration - it has a nice vocal into.Love the verse riff, the chorus can do better though. I like the crisp tremolo picking bass that backs up the guitar and drums nicely. I like the bridge with the almost eerie diminished sounding intervals. Need I say that Mat has awesome solo. 04. Anthem (We Are The Fire) - great intro with great pulsing bass. I love the solo. Love the dual solo. I wish they had better lyrics than "yeah" during the bridge. Ends on a Mat solo. 05. Unrepentant - like the wah intro, I think it's wah. Love the double bass in the verse. I wish the lead in the chorus was louder it's sooo good. And Corey has a amazing solo this time. I like the vocal breakdown in the middle. 06. And Sadness Will Sear - I like the 7-string ultra low into-hate the fact that I need a 7 string to play it. I love that you can actually hear the bass in the into, and who doesn't love toms. It has a good bridge too. And a Great solo by Corey. 07. Becoming The Dragon - I love the bridge with the screaming, takes me back to the old trivium, and how heavy this song it, WoW.I like how the outro guitar solo switches to a fantastic bass solo by Palao. 08. To The Rats - it was written by Grogotto, but no bass solo what a shame. I like the verse riff, Love the chorus. It is so heavy, all the screaming adds to that too. I love Mat's solo (I know I'm sounding like a broken record). I love the outro, it's the lyrics of the chorus with a more melodic riff. 09. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - great lyrics, Great sound. It's not Overly complex, for trivium at least. But it has a good melodic sound. It's a little repetitive though. 10. Tread The Floods - love the intro with Corey's lead stuff. it's actually the same as the chorus. I don't like the arrangement though, I don't like having to wait for the awesome chorus. Mat has a great solo, as usual. 11. Contempt Breads Contamination - love the intro. I really like the lead in the verse. It really catches you when it goes from a heavy verse instantly to the chorus. Corey gets a great solo. 2 actually. 12. The Rising - like the drum intro, not to fast but still good. You may think that I am a bassist so I would love this song, no. It's like saying Pete Wentz is good. Sorry Palao but the bass in this song is too basic, just open E string, the guitar however is good, no, great. I love how Corey busts that solo out of nowhere. Crazy. Corey has some good lead riffs in the chorus too. 13. The Crusade - I can't lie, I have a thing for instrumentals, so I liked this song before I heard it, Now I love it, bass solos crazy lead riffs. I find it all has a classical feel(In a heavy metal way) I like the bass in the 2nd bridge. I love the lead guitar in the 1stbridge too. I love the solo, can't lie. It just has a happy feel. The outro is perfect for the last song on the album. I think that this song is worthy of being the title song. 14. Broken One - this is only on the itunes version. It sucks, cause this it there bast song. I love the bass intro and the singing. The verse guitar is awesome. 15. Dieing In Your Arms - I haven't really heard this song since it's on the itunes version. I like the melodiousness of it though. Mat has a solo (tell me something I don't know). // 9

Lyrics: First a little story about Mat. Growing up he was not Able to sing well so he learned to scream(this is why there is so much screaming on the earlier albums). This is the first album where he did the majority singing. Love the lyrics in detonation, It's like Mat is telling 2 sides of a story, the enemy and victim. A lot of the songs tell a story, like unrepentant, a story of a father who kills his daughters to preserve his own honor. The lyrics in This world can't tear us apart are the best lyrics I have heard by this band. The sound/skills. Mat has taken on a James Hetfield style singing instead screaming, and he still uses his melodic vocals for the chorus' and bridges ect. He still throws in those screams in hear and there like in to the rats and becoming the dragon. I don't think there's any thing bad I can say about the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: There is no word to describe it. Just wow. I didn't believe my friend when he went on saying "Trivium are the future of metal" and "they're the next Metallica" Now I say that too. I love too many things to say other than Mat's solos. I hate how they had to put broken one and dieing in your arm on the itunes version, especially broken one, it's like my favorite song ever. If I lost it, I would not just buy this album, I would buy all the other albums too. // 9

The Crusade Reviewed by: MassacreDeicide, on december 11, 2007

Sound: I have been a Trivium fan since 2002 when their demo came out. I appreciate what they have done for the metal community. They are the band that you love, or you hate. When I bought the CD, it was the exact date it was released. I saw them in NY City at Nokia Theater October 10th, 2006. I met the guys and we had a blast. They took a different path with The Crusade. This time around it kind of sounded like Maiden and Metallica mixed, as opposed to their 2005 classic Ascendancy. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics from Trivium have always been mind boggling to me, only because some of them don't make sense, but for most of the lyrics, the songs make me want to go to battle. Matt Heafy was born a frontman, he deserves the spotlight, his vocals are not easily matched by his predecessors Iron Maiden and Metallica. // 9

Overall Impression: The Crusade closely compares with Load and Re-Load from Metallica. The thrash metal portion of it reminds me of the Hetfield Ulrich combo we hear from Metallica. There are three standouts from The Crusade; Tread the Floods, Detonation, and The Crusade. Tread the Floods is an advanced song on all fronts, time signature changes, solos, fast rhythm mutes, stuff like that will make a song instantly. Detonation is one of the songs most of the listeners, including me, weren't expecting. They had that hardcore metal sound in the beginning and quickly flipped the coin and went melodic for the bridge and solo. That's why The Crusade is so good, it is one turn after another. The Crusade is an instrumental, again another direction that is different for Trivium, they took the initiative to make an over eight minute song with no vocals... and everyone has a solo, even Paolo. This album has a lot of firsts and I am eager to know if their reign of metal will continue. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: nfldguitarist, on february 29, 2008

Sound: The sound is such a try hard sound that I can't believe anyone would consider this a "natural album" that quote was from a friend of mine. Anyways The sound is no where near thrash Metal. The riffs don't chug like they do in your premier thrash bands (old Metallica, Slayer, Testament etc.) it's more a band trying very hard to transition out of being a predominaty metalcore band to an alternitive band and wannabe thrash metal. I can't beleive anyone would ever want to even bring this album into a discussion of thrash.I hate how Heafy will diss bands like Korn and Tool in the public eye and then go and make an album like this. They're trying to aim for a more mainstream sound and can't help but fall flat on there face, The guitars are hugely technical but sound boring and messy in a lot of there songs. Heafy is trying way to hard to Kirk Hammet and trying to hard to sing like hetfield. The drummin I have to say was surprisingly decent and actually showed a smooth transition from album to album.the bass was inaudible. And I really hate that when that happens. Either way the prodcution couldn't have been that good if all the songs sound as messed up as they do. // 1

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite relevant for such an irrelevant album. It deals with famous killings like the Andrea Yates murders (Entrance Of the Conflagration) and many others I don't feel like writing. Heafy sounds like Hetfield on this album so I guess it's good He should just stick to his own style instead of immitating others. // 5

Overall Impression: I hate all Trivium albums equally so I can't tell if this was there best or worst album at all. There are no songs really worth mentioning except maybe ...And Sadness Will Sear, witch was at least formulated and tightly structured enough so I could pick out other instruments. I would probably burn all other copies of this album and wipe out triviums record deal. Just to stop this one album from being replicated. // 1

The Crusade Reviewed by: mustacrackish, on may 23, 2008

Sound: Trivium have come a long way from that metalcore band to what they are today, a hard working band made up of some amazing musicians. I would have to say that I am glad that they stop the screaming and started to sing, and when Corey screams, he does it tastefully and it fits the song. But while I love this album, there are some weak points. Ignition: 8 out of 10. Starts out pretty thrashy, but it still is melodic, the only thing I'm not crazy about is the solo, it seems a little forced, and I'm really not critical about solos, But still, it's driving and heavy, yet still melodic. Detonation: 10 out of 10. The first song I ever heard and one of my favorites, great verse riff, awesome solo and very good drumming by Travis. The solos keep the song going, and the riffs keep my head banging.Amazing Song. Entrance of the conflagration: 9 Out of 10. Another good song, Very thrashy and great solos. The only reason I gave it a nine is because it seems to get a little repetitive but still amazing. Anthem (we are the fire)10 out of 10. Very good song, great riffs, solos, and very sing along type song. Almost reminds of iron maiden. Unrepentant: 8 out of 10. Still a very good song, yet it reminds to much of metallica and gets a little repetitive, Almost the down point of the album. And sadness will sear: 9 out of 10. And now here come the seven strings.it's a little slow, but it just is amazing and very emotional and still very heavy. This song is making me save up for a seven string. Becoming the dragon: 10 out of 10. This is amazingly breathtaking. They use that seventh string a little, but when they do, it enhances the the experience. Great solos, and a bass solo by Paolo, may I also say that Paolo is amazing at bass and is the only bass player besides cliff burton that I will listen to the bass instead of the guitars. Fantastic drumming and awesome screams from Corey, amazing song. To the rats: 7 out of 10. To be honest, I'm really not crazy about this song it's good, just not really good, the down point of the album to me. This world can't tear us apart: 10 out 10. An amazing thrash balled and really nice use of that seventh string, good solos, good singing, all around, great song. Tread the floods: 10 out of 10. awesome, is the only word that comes to mind. Great intro, verse, bridge, Chorus, solo, singing, drumming, bass, Everything is amazing. Contempt breeds contamination: 8 out of 10. Great intro and amazing, but a little repetitive, Still a great performance. The Rising: 9 out of 10. Great sing along track and good solos. Just an awesome song. The Crusade: 10 out of 10. The moment you all have been waiting for. this song practically Brings a tear to my eye. High point of the album. just a piece of art and it really astonishes me that they have come this far. Excellent performance. // 10

Lyrics: I really don't listen to the lyrics, but from what I've heard they do have some meaning and aren't just words. And. Matt has gone from just another screamer to an amazing singer. And Corey's screams are awesome, they really have a good singing duo here. That's the sound of humanity melting away Say goodbye it's the end of days Fire rains down on the American dream Watch all you love see them scream. Each will dig their own graves And bury themselves in life's failures. Just a line that shows that trivium are thrash and not just Metalcore. // 10

Overall Impression: If this came out in the 80's, Metallica and Megadeth would have a hard time keeping up. The Best songs to me are Ignition, Detonation, Entrance, Anthem we are th- ah froget it the whole album is amazing. I love the guitar work and the singing in it and it's drumwork is awesome too. If it got stolen, I would buy it again and just sit back and listen to the awesomeness of trivium. I'll be getting there fourth album for sure and so should you. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: thrashster, on october 12, 2006

Sound: Ill be the First to say, yes this album has an old-school thrash/metallica sound, this is becasue they are obviously influenced by Metallica a great deal. A lot of the songs are full of great riffs and intense solos. Some of my favourite songs are: Becoming The Dragon, Contempt Breeds Contamination, and We Are The Fire. This album has been made perfectly, although triviums sound has changed a great deal from Ascendancy (no screaming, although in Becoming The Dragon there's a cool screaming section). Gave them a 9 becasue although the sound is great, it's not too original. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this Album are, well not great. Some songs I think have good lyrics but for the most part it sounds like they wrote all these sweet instrument parts and needed vocals for filler. This of Course does not go for every song, many have great lyrics such as: Detonation, Entrance Of The Conflagration, and Contempt Breedsa Contamination. Given a 7 because I feel the lyrics are not as good as they could of been/were on previous album. // 7

Overall Impression: The album is Great and I can't wait for October 10th so I can actually get my hands ona copy of this amazing CD. it's one of the few cds I can listen to from beggining to end without getting bored. My favourite song is probably 'Contempt Breeds Contamination' or 'Becoming The Dragon', coinsidently these are the only 2 songs (I may be wrong) that they use 7-string guitars for, and trust me you can tell, there the two heaviest songs on the Album. If this album were lost or stolen, within about 30 minutes of me finding out, I would be on my way back from the music store listening to this awesome CD in my discman. // 10

The Crusade Reviewed by: NFFC_1865, on october 12, 2006

Sound: This album is clearly a departure from the thrash-influenced metalcore of their previous efforts. For the most part, the band have ditched the "core" suffix whilst letting their thrash roots shine through exceptionally. Whilst I have no doubts people will dismiss this band on previous (metalcore) efforts and/or state that this band is a carbon copy of Metallica; it must be said that Metallica are no longer the same band that they were in the Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning eras and here Trivium continue where Hetfield & Co. left off all those years back. // 8

Lyrics: Matt Heafy has taken a different approach to lyrics on this album. They have been written in a less cryptic manner, and I have to make it clear that I am not a fan of the way he has written the lyrics on this album. Many of the lyrics appear rushed, however this could be because the band are now letting the music speak for them and the vocals are taking a back burner. There are many uninspiring lyrical passages such as "Break every bone in your face, if you mess with my life, I'll mess with your blood" (To The Rats) and "We Are Now A family" (Anthem) which leave me thinking Heafy has not spent enough time on the lyrics for this album. // 3

Overall Impression: Many of the riffs on this album are reminiscent of Metallica's Master Of Puppets record. However, using this review for the sole purpose of comparing it to Master Of Puppets would be doing a good album a major injustice. Each song incorpoates elements which let you know this is still Trivium. The first song, Ignition, has an emotional chorus similar to that of Like Light To The Flies from Acendancy. The second song, Detonation, starts of like early Metallica. However after about 2 minutes the dissonance makes way for pure melody and Corey Beaulieu, who many people have previously viewed as the only thing making this band slightly listenable, takes you on a journey of epic proportions with some beautiful sweep passages even more advanced than the guitarwork of previous efforts. This song contains a short, screaming breakdown; however it seems to be used more tastefully to compliment the mood of the song and Matt is no longer screaming in one note throughout an entire song and using the tried and tested formula of screamed verse, sung chorus. Before the release of this album Trivium had begun distributing their video for Anthem (We Are The Fire). This song was certainly different to what everyone expected. This is one of the songs from the album that definately cannot be viewed as thrash metal. Although it is catchy, it is a very cheesy and cliched song, with the cheddar climaxing as Matt sings "yea-aahhh" with a call and response from the crowd similar to the section in Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation (Ascendancy). For me this is the albums low part, however when discussing the album with others it has become apparent that views on this track vary greatly. The song I am finiding myself playing most at the moment is "This World Can't Tear Us Apart." This is certainly the most most mainstream track off the album, similar to what Dying in Your Arms was for Ascendancy. However it is still a very good melodic track with a great shredding solo. I'll be suprised if this one isn't released as a single. Other tracks of note are To The Rats and Unrepentant, to unforgivingly thrashy songs with melodic section and great guitarwork from heafy (who has improved greatly) and Beaulieu. This album is bound to get a mixed reaction from fans of Trivium, and maybe give a few open-minded music fans a new band to listen to. Most of the people that have already been listening to Trivium in the past seems to be disappointed with the departure from the old sound. But although it is different, if you are to give the album a fair chance, you will relalise that this album shines in different places to Ascendany. // 7

The Crusade Reviewed by: Frostithe, on october 12, 2006

Sound: Now most people know Trivium for their awesome guitar playing skills, heart pounding drumming and most of all, the screaming vocals. On this new CD entitled The Crusade (representing their journey to conquer the world) the kickass drums and guitar remain. However, the largest difference between The Crusade and Ascendancy or Ember to Inferno is without a doubt the vocals. The music on The Crusade is improved quite a bit from Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno. The technicality of the guitars has taken a step up (yes, it is possible) and still manage to sound awesome. Matt and Corey have incorporated a lot more sweep picking into their solos although there seems to be a distinct lack of harmonised solos. Travis Smith has cooled down a bit on his insane use of the double bass, he is now writing drum tracks which don't just follow the guitars, but instead keep a better rhythmn. You can actually hear Paulo Gregoletto's bass playing on this album, and he is a half decent bass player. The production quality and mixing of this album is very good. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album aren't as good as Ascendancy's, they are more of a story being told. If you have heard Trivium's cover of Master Of Puppets or seen them live recently then you will know what the new vocals are like. It's a kind of heavy singing, much more like mainstream metal (oxymoron). For most people, it's a love or hate decision about Matt Heafy's new vocals. I personally like them (although not as much as I liked his screams) but my one pet peeve is that he now sings in the heavy style on all their songs when he plays live. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr just doesn't work if you don't scream it. // 8

Overall Impression: So in conclusion, a pretty good album although not quite up to par with Ascendancy in my opinion. For fans of: Trivium, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth. // 8

The Crusade Reviewed by: 4metal, on october 12, 2006

Sound: First of all, I love Trivium and I love their first two albums. When I heard that there wasn't going to be anymore screaming in this album I'll admit that I was a little disappointed, but after hearing the songs I didn't care anymore. Heafy has a great voice, some say he sounds too much like Hetfield but I think the overall sound of the album is great. it's heavy, it has a lot of solos. Guitars are outstanding, once again Matt's and Corey's ability just blow me away. The drums are some of the best I've ever heard, really mastered the double bass. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics have a lot of meaning in this album. Heafy really seems to be against people who discriminate against others and he thinks that it is a huge problem in the United States. I'm not gonna lie, he's right. There are a couple of songs on this album that mention homophobia and altough it may seem like "man, that isn't metal" the context he puts it in really makes it heavy. And Sadness Will Sear is a song about a gayman that was murdered. He also has a lot to say about racism because it is mentioned a lot and he also mentions a lot about parents killing their kids. He brings out a lot of societies issues that are going on today and I think it is great writing. // 8

Overall Impression: There are so many great things about this album. First off the name of the first song "Ignition" is just a bad ass way to start an album. The next song "Detonation" is not only perfectly coupled with ignition but it is a heavy song about nuclear war. Entrance Of The Conflagration and Unrepentant are both songs about parents killing their kids which is first of all a really heavy topic and with the guitars and lyrics it makes it even more metal. Contempt Breeds Contamination is a great song that shows Heafy's anger against racism, and especially in this song about cops who kill african americans just because of their race. Overall this album is great, it's really new for Trivium especially with the transition of singing, but it is still a great heavy metal album. // 9

The Crusade Reviewed by: Clownmite, on october 13, 2006

Sound: Most of the music here is great. It's lost a lot of metalcore influence and gained a lot of thrash influence. It's still not true metal, but there are instances when you might mistake them for an '80s thrash band if you didn't know it was already Trivium. Instead of the longer, more flowing riffs we're used to from Ascendancy, the riffage of this album is more focused around more basic rythms and having technical fills at the end of a riff. Overall, some pretty great music, each song is listenable, and it's perfectly do-able to listen to the whole CD through without having to hit "next track." // 9

Lyrics: Matt's voice sounds pretty good in the album, but you almost wish he was still undecipherably screaming because the lyrics are so horrible. Whatever happened to the relatively deep lyrics from parts of Ember to Inferno? The lyrics on The Crusade are almost laughable at times. It's a relief that the song The Crusade is so good so you don't have to worry about Matt's lyrics ruining the song. Most metalcore/metal music isn't focused on the lyrics, so most people won't care that the lyrics are so bad. The lyrics are so bad that they hurt the album. // 3

Overall Impression: As long as you're not paying attention to the lyrics, the album is great. It's not true metal, but it's not really metalcore anymore. There's a lot of skill here for such young band members. My favorite tracks are Ignition, Detonation, and Tread The Floods, but all of the songs are pretty good. // 9

The Crusade Reviewed by: poona, on october 16, 2006

Sound: This is almost a complete departure from 2005's Ascendancy. The scream/sing/scream/sing structure is no longer on this album. On The Crusade, Trivium have decided to sound more like their influences (namely Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera and Iron Maiden). From beginning to end, The Crusade is a constant display of crushing riffs and fret melting solos, that much is to be expected. The main focus of this album is technical abilty, and indeed, each member Trivium is technically brilliant at playing their instruments. Guitars: in a genre like thrash metal, the guitarist is usually the one who is first to be judged. Matthew K. Heafy and Corey Beaulieu deliver solos faster than a speeding bullet. The downside of this however, is that most of the solos on this album are too long and lack melodic phrasing. The few exeptions are the last 2 solos on Detonation, Entrance of the Conflagration, Anthem, And Sadness Will Sear. Bass Guitar: Paulo Gregolleto's skills as a bass player seem to be overshadowed by the intense guitar playing. He does have on solo on the title track of the album. Paulo's playing style (and even his dress style) seems to be heavily influenced by Metallica's late bassist Cliff Burton. Drums: for me, the drums are probably the highlight of the record, and I don't even play drums. it's undeniable that Travis Smith knows his stuff, well enough that even Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich, he even stated that he "wanted to hide every time he saw Travis play" on MetalHammer magazine. Travis uses blast beats a lot of the time, but he knows how to use them, unlike many extreme metal bands who use blast beats for the sake of having drums, Travis' use of blast beats actually enhances the songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrical themes Matt Heafy mainly explores bigotry and discrimination, which he must have been subjected to being half Japanese/White American. These themes have lots of potential, but sadly, Heafy doesn't use it to the fullest. He doesn't seem to be bothered with clever wording, he would much rather say what he feels, and if you were Phil Anselmo from Pantera, that would be good, but when you sound so much like early Metallica, it would be much better be a bit more imagininative. There is, however, one track with good lyrics and that track is And Sadness Will Sear, these lyrics are so depressing but so true, it actually makes me feel pain for William Shepard, and not many song lyrics can actually move me. // 5

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the Crusade is a good one. Great songs, with occasionally good lyrics. I especially appreciate Heafy's change of vocal styling, I grew tired of the metalcore scream a long while ago, and thankfully for me, he did as well. My favorite track on this album would definitely be And Sadness Will Sear, the opening riff is fantastic, the lyrics are moving, the song is consistent and the vocals are spot on. My least favorite track is, without a doubt, the instrumental track, The Crusade. It may be technically brilliant, but it's boring. The band mentioned in an interview on MetalHammer magazine that the instrumental piece would be in the style of Dream Theater, and it turned out to be that way. It was pointlessly complex, it's like trying to force 2 puzzle pieces together that don't fit. The one aspect I don't like about this album, and Trivium itself, is their blatant 'fanboyism'. The record sounds WAY too much like Metallica at some points. At the Download Festival 2006, Matt Heafy got the crowd chanting 'Metallica', and in all his interviews, it's always Metallica this Metallica that, he even wants Trivium to be the 'next Metallica'. it's good to give credit to your influences, but as long Heafy keeps the fanboyism going, Trivium will always be in the shadow of Metallica. If this record were stolen I wouldn't bother buying it again. Firstly because I already ripped the CD onto my computer. Second of all, I bought the limited addition 'First Day Cover' version which had a special black cover that was only sold on the first day of it's release, buying another one wouldn't be the same. // 8

The Crusade Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2006

Sound: As far as any thrash metal band can be, Trivium have continued to be creative in their riffs, althought the solos and lead work are very good but have lost creativity. The melodic solos always sound like something that's been done before; and in the shredding solos there's always sweep-picking thrown in and it can get a bit samey to listen to. I do like the music on the album but not half as much as ascendancy. // 8

Lyrics: Now this is the big downside. Matt Heafy dropped the screaming 'because he learnt to sing', so instead he shouts his way through most of the songs. This would sound good in just one or two songs, but a whole album? I think the vocals rip of Metallica way too much. Especially the yehea in anthem.It took me a while to get used to the new vocals. // 4

Overall Impression: When Trivium said they wanted to be the next Metallica, I thought they meant they wanted to be the next big metal icon, not literally Metallica. It sounds so similar I actually mistook Detonation for a new Metallica song when I first heard it. All the songs are still pretty good, but nothing compared to Ascendancy or evenEmber Inferno. Listen to This World Can't Tear Us Apart, that's the best. My main dislike about the new album is the vocals, but ironically the one track I don't listen to is the instrumental, Crusade, and why? Because it's so borin, maybe it's technical nd obviously fun to write and play, but I can't listen to it, it's 8 minutes of the same thing which I can't even remember. If it was lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy it straight away. // 7

The Crusade Reviewed by: metalicatrivium, on november 17, 2006

Sound: Trivium's new album The Crusade came out October 10, 2006. It was named CD of the month for October. I am going to give you my opinion on each song. 01. Ignition - before I heard this song and just saw the name I thought it was going to be a really cool song. I listened to the song and I didn't think it was their best. The guitars sound powerful and all but it wasn't to my liking. 02. Detonation - the first time I heard this song I wasn't a huge fan of it. I listened to it more over time and I learned to like it. The guitars sound good in the song and the Dimebag squeals in the solos were cool. The only part I didn't like was Paolo Gregoletto's (bassist) singing part. 03. Entrance Of The Conflagration - I loved this song from the start. The guitars have a powerful sound to them and Matt Heafy has a James Hetfield type of tone of singing in this song-in a good say. 04. Anthem (We Are The Fire) - the guitars have a good sound to them and the solos are awesome. The sweeps in the solos just show the Trivium fans how talented they really are. And they are only in their lower 20s. Awesome song. 05. Unrepentant - I like this song. Not one of the greatest but it is good. Just like always, the guitars sound good and I like the lyrics. 06. And Sadness Will Sear - I don't like this song. The guitars don't sound very good and the lyrics are kind of cheesy. It just sounds too quiet to me. 07. Becoming The Dragon - awesome song. The guitars sound cool in this song and I like the singing. I like the screaming part in the middle of it. That made the song sound even better. And at the end when Paolo came in with the bass solo after Matt's solo was awesome. Just don't make Paolo sing. Watch Like Light to Flies live on youtube.com to understand what I am saying. Listen on the "Bleeding Out The Eyes" part. 08. To The Rats - definitely a song worthy to make it into the shows as an opener. This is a good song and sounds good with the little bit of screaming. 09. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - I didn't expect this from Trivium. I like the song but the lyrics don't sound like anything they would write. But the sound is good. I like the guitars. 10. Tread The Floods - another cool song on the album as well as worthy of making it into shows also. The guitars are awesome in this song. The singing sounds cool. Travis Smith's (drummer) double-bassing in the chorus is really cool sounding going along with the guitars and the singing. 11. Contempt Breeds Contamination - I like the 7 string guitars in this song. It starts off a little boring but it gets better as the song progresses. 12. The Rising - as a sort of like a Metallica sound to it - in a good way. Metallica's awesome. The guitars sound kind of Metallica-ish. Has a good overall sound to it. 13. The Crusade - one of my favorite instrumentals of all-time. Paolo actually wrote all the guitar and bass lines by himself. He did a good job. I have to give him credit. He is pretty good a writing music. The Crusade and Metallica's The Call of Ktulu are my two all-time favorite instrumentals. // 9

Lyrics: Some the song lyrics sounded like they were deep and some of them didn't. Some of the lyrics to Entrance of the Conflagration sounded like they should have been screamed. The lyrics went in perfect with the music. Matt Heafy has come a long say singing-wise from Ember to Inferno to The Crusade. // 8

Overall Impression: Trivium is following in Metallica's footsteps. Trivium got bigger as the CDs went on from Ember to Inferno to the Crusade like Metallica did from Kill 'Em All to Master of Puppets. And also for each band after their first three albums they each had a bassist die. I think Trivium might be the next Metallica but won't get as big. My favorite songs from The Crusade are Anthem, Entrance, and Tread the Floods. If I lost or if it got stolen I would buy it again if it didn't eventually get it back. // 9

The Crusade Reviewed by: Adamantium, on november 20, 2006

Sound: Honestly, these guys have talent, each musician has extreme capability. However, this album doesn't really do much for me. It's cool, and I'll listen to it, it's nice to have an old school metal sounding band out there in this day and age. At the same time though, they really changed their style. Vocals come to mind over anything else, but don't ignore everything else too: their drummer cut back on double bass, and I feel it's because they're really tryin for that old school feel. To me, Trivium used to be a bit on the hardcore side rather than the metal side, and in this album they took that hardcore feel out, which in my opinion is a good thing. In The End though, many would argue that they sound very much like Metallica, very much like Megadeth, very much like Testament or Exodus etc. and I'd probably be one of those people, but other than that, I can a enjoy the album if I can get passed those similarities to other bands. // 7

Lyrics: Heafy definitely improved his singing, again, some would argue that it was changed for the wrong reasons, but I do enjoy it more, his growl/scream from before wasn't very appealing. His lyrics fit nicely into the songs, and I can understand how they can be related to by people, yet again though, many would argue it adds that feeling that they sound like some other band "Tread The Floods," for example sounds really megadeth-ish, but I don't feel like that about every song honestly, and the ones I don't feel like that about can be very appealing. // 7

Overall Impression: These guys are good, they're talented and what have you, and I can admit that they do deserve recognition and credability though I don't really like them. I really feel that there are more bands out there that I could relate to much better. As far as metal goes, there are plenty of bands out there that fit the term "metal" more snug. And I don't mean "death" metal or "grindcore" or "black" metal, I just mean the straight up idea of straight up metal. There really isn't one song on this album that can be said has a riff that really reflects a megadeth, metallica, testament, or some other old school band's riff. I honestly think that if I were to lose this album, I wouldn't buy it again, simply for that fact that there's better music (in my opinion) that is easier to relate to, more impressive, more original, and more pleasing to the ear one way or another, so I'd probably buy somthin else. Not to bash on trivium, I mena, let it be known I don't like them, but aside from that, I can admit they have talent and capability, and I can admit that they'd be worth buyin their album if you're into that stuff, but for me personally, it wouldn't be worth it. // 7

The Crusade Reviewed by: Trivium_A7X, on march 12, 2007

Sound: Trivium are a really good starting point for teenagers looking to the metal scene. Their songs vary from the thrash of "To The Rats" to the melodic metal love song "This World Can't Tear Us Apart". Trivium used to be quite a metalcore band but with "The Crusade" they have finally broken away from the mould and produced some truly great music of their own genre. This album was originally expected to be a disappointment, however if you really listen to it properly and keep your mind open, you will discover how great it is. This album uses the legendary twin guitar solo to a devastating effect, some truly great solos have been produced here. // 9

Lyrics: At first when you hear this album, you don't focus on the lyrics, and everything sounds great. However, when you look at the lyrics and hear how they are used, many of the songs on there are ruined, for they do not really work in songs such as "Entrance Of The Conflagration" and "Unrepentant". Matt Heafy's singing has vastly improved since the last album, instead of a constant death growl he now sings properly, and Paolo does very well with backup vocals. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall I think that this cannot be compared to Trivium's other 2 albums, as they are so completely different. The most impressive songs in my opinion vary with what you are looking for personally. If you are into thrash then To the Rats and Entrance of the Conflagration are for you. For eveything else, I recommend Anthem, Entance, and This World Can't Tear Us Apart, however it is ultimately for you to decide! Many of the songs grow on you with time, happy Listening! // 7

The Crusade Reviewed by: chris_white, on march 12, 2007

Sound: When I first heard Triviums previous album, Asendancy, I was amazed. It was something new, and amazing. I was looking forward to The Crusade, a fair bit. If I'm honest, It doesnt't live up to my expectations. I could listen to every song on the previous album, but in my opinion there are a few bad ones of here. For instance, Anthem (We Are The Fire) is a fairly good song, until the cheesy breakdown, were Matt Heafy (lead singer) does his impression of James Hetfield. it's cheesy, and doesnt't make good music. Some Song on this album, however, are extraordinary. The Crusade is a no holds bared 9 minute instrumental, simply superb. Overall, I feel, due to the extreme sucsess of Asendancy, trivium rushed this album, and if they had spent longer on it, could of produce an album that was just as good as Asendancy, which is no easy task. // 7

Lyrics: Matt heafy has an awesome voal range, and he proves it on this album. He is one of the best frontmen around currently. The bassist, Paolo, writes the lyrics for Trivium, and for most songs, they are good. The lyrics seem to slot into place for trivium, as if it jsut comes easily to them. // 8

Overall Impression: The Crusade is a decent album, and will be appreciated by metal lovers. There is some awesome work on this album, musically and vocally. If you haven't got any triviums albums, I would say your best to Start with Asendancy, as long as you don't mind screamo. The stand out tracks are Entrance Of The Conflagration, Anthem (We Are The Fire), And The Sadness Will Sear, The world Can't Tear Us Apart and The Crusade. Tis album is definately worth purchasing, and although first impression may not be too high, with time, it will grow on you, and become one of your favourite albums. // 7

The Crusade Reviewed by: James TH, on july 06, 2007

Sound: The first report ever given on this album when it came out said "the best Metallica album that, well, metallica has ever made." There is no doubt that Trivium's new sound is a lot more influenced on it's roots like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and many more. On first look, The Crusade can look a lot like another other album, great cover illustrations, gruff looking song titles and a huge lead up, but as soon as one puts it into the players and hears the opening song "Ignition", one would then either look in great respect or in great horror at the new, very Metallica sounding thrash metal guitars and vocals. The drums have changed very little though. Drummer Travis has continued to utilise his doulbe kicks and tough beats but there is nothing to change the fact that Trivium is a new band with a new sound that judging by record sales, doesnt't seem to bother many hardcore trivium fans. // 9

Lyrics: There is nothing new about the lyrics of trivium, they are all stil about becoming dragons, a women drowning herself in depression and tons of other fantastical stories that trivium can tell through their music. Matt Heafy, like he always has, wrote all the lyrics and words for the album and ironically he also decided that this would be the album where the "real" Matt Heafy singing would be debuted with no change in the words he says. Just pick up the well illustrated cover booklet and read through the lyrics, they are neither insightful or bad, they rank as complete mediocer. // 7

Overall Impression: For starters, if this album was lost of stolen, with new technology I would not buy a new one because it would be much easier to download the songs that are good on the album, mainly "Ignition", "Contempts Breed Contamination", "We Are The Fire", "To The Rats", and the single "Entrance Of The Conflagration". The album does lack the common sound and feel that Ascendancy and Ember To Inferno created when they first came out. More importantly though, the Trivium will most likely be a love and hate, on and off relationship, it's hard to get used to it at first but it is Trivium either way and every once in a while we can always look back on the good old days when words could hardly be understood and the band was all under the tender age of 20. // 8

The Crusade Reviewed by: jpgilbert701, on september 22, 2007

Sound: Trivium's new album The Crusade was highly anticipated by fans. Many of us expected a great album like Ascendancy.While some might say that Trivium has sold out or just copied the older thrash metal bands such as Metallica, they still keep a sound that is their own. 01. Ignition - decent song. Probably not the best opener but still. The guitars on it seemed a bit out of the norm for these guys but it still had that Trivium-ish rhythm. 2. Detonation - to be honest, I hate the first half of this song. Everything seems as if it was just rushed. The whammy bar solo and the solo right after seemed like complete Slayer ripoffs. I don't like Slayer very much but they instantly came to mind. Right after this part I think the song really shines as it brings back memories of Ascendancy. The sweeped arpeggios in the solos sounded like they shouldn't be there though. 03. Entrance Of The Conflagration - good song. I like the whole song since it seems to flow nicely. I especially like the riff right before the solos (which are again, nothing great). 04. Anthem (We Are The Fire) - first of all, I think this songs title is really stupid. I like the song minus the parts where Matt is singing and the guitars just kind of strum. It just really makes the song slow down then speed up and slow down. I don't know I didn't really like that. Other than that good song. 05. Unrepentant - this song seems like it would have some promise but the vocals kill it during the verse. The shortlived solo on this song is actually good. I like how it fits in with the rhythm guitar in the back. Overall not really a high point of the album. 06. And Sadness Will Sear - I believe this song was written using a 7 string which was a nice a nice change. Matt made good use of it but again the verses really ruin the song. The choruses are decent but end up becoming old and jaded. The Solo in this song was ok. It was one of the better ones on the album but the ending is what makes this solo good instead of great. 07. Becoming The Dragon - this song would be my favorite if the solos didn't totally ruin it. Everything would be perfect but these guys seem to ruin all their songs by coming up with boring verses or forced solos especially the bass solo which seemed dumb. 08. To The Rats - my least favorite track on the album. I don't like this song because I just can't stand the cheesy lyrics. Especially the chorus. I mean the words "Break every bone in your face" and "I'll mess with your blood" are so stupid not to mention the whole "A skull f--k (a skull f--k)" thing sounded really gay. The whole feel is great but the lyrics totally kill this song. 09. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - the album's "Dying In Your Arms". There isn't much else to say about this song except that the lyrics at times seem lame. Solid song but nothing special. 10. Tread The Floods - this song is just like Becoming The Dragon. Great song but again the damn singing and lyrics kill it until it hits the chorus. This song has a cool solo though. Seems like track 7s opposite. 11. Contempt Breeds Contamination - intro seemed cool and all again nice change with the 7 string. Then the verse comes and the song dies. I really dig the pre-chorus and the chorus but the lyrics in the chorus are pretty lame. 12. The Rising - this song is the standout track on the album. Not that it's great, but it has a different feel to it. Really southern sound. The solos are cool here too. Pretty decent song. 13. The Crusade - the last track on the album. In my opinion this song really shows Matt's songwriting skills. Best song on the album. Overall I think this album could've been great if the lyrics were better and the solos didn't seem rushed. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album really are the downfall. They are pretty bad compared to Ascendancy. They are usually about the government or overcoming obstacles but songs such as Contempt Breeds Contamination, And Sadness Will Sear and Entrance of The Conflagration have a story that they are based off of. I've never been a fan of mixing music with government but some bands can do it. These guys not so much. Matt's voice changed and it doesn't seem like it's him. I'm not saying go back to screaming (god knows there's enough of that around) but it doesn't suit him. Maybe he's still getting used to it and it'll sound better on the next album. // 4

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to Ascendancy at all and maybe not even to Ember To Inferno. I could listen to every track on Ascendancy and not be skipping songs. I find myself only listening to The Crusade on this album as it is the most impressive song on here. I like some of the guitar work and some solos but I hate the lyrics. The style of singing doesn't bother me but the way things are sung do. If I lost this or it was stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again just because it gets boring to listen to. // 7

The Crusade Reviewed by: jakemac, on december 14, 2007

Sound: When I first heard Trivium back in 2004 with their Ember To Inferno album my first impression was "Wow looks like these guys are gonna be big", and as far as I can tell they have become. With The crusade they switched from their Metalcore, dropped D style and turned towards a 7-stringed, technical, Thrash metal approach. Following in the footsteps of Metallica The Crusade features tremolo picked solos and sweeped arpeggios to blow your mind and is a vast improvement to the previous two albums. The use of strange sounding chords in song like "Detonation" and "Tread The Floods" gives it it's finishing thrash metal tint and adds loads of 16th notes to accompany them, just to make it a little speedier. This album features no screaming, unlike the previous two albums which were mostly all screamed, this upsetted some fans and caused a lot of controvery. Matt Heafy commented on this by saying he "Wanted to break away from the over-inflating metalcore culture that has been steadily growing until now every other band in the world is a metalcore band". The riffs were also slated by critics for sounding too much like a riff from a Metallica album in songs like "Entrance of the conflagration" and "To The Rats", however I personally feel they added their own personal style to the Thrash Metal sub-genre of music and very much made it their own. The band's use of a seven-stringed guitar gave it a harsher, darker sound and gave the guitarists Matt Heafy and Corey Beaulieu more room to be creative in their playing. It also added originality to their music which made it more interesting. Since Trivium switched their style to Thrash Metal in "The crusade" the solos are made using mostly 16th notes and sweeping arpeggios. This made it very interesting and received very positive reviews, with James Hetfield even noting that "these guys are good guitarists". They took a big chance with the Crusade and many fans feel as though they have failed, some however (like myself) feel opposite. If the Crusade hadn't changed things for Trivium they would have turned into a repetitive mind-numbing band and faded into the ever-inflating music culture. Although I'm not a fan of fret-wan*age this album really seemed original and well rehearsed. The wonderful use of sweeping arpeggios as an emotional fuel really gave the song it's backbone. // 8

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics in The Crusade used power metal influenced themes, for instance in "Becoming The Dragon", and political themes, for instance "The Rising" and "Contempt Breeds Contamination". However the song "This Is To The Rats" is about Matt Heafy's own personal experience with liars in the media and other members of the public, it made a change from the boring, repetitive lyrics in Ascendancy about abuse and Matt Heafy's feelings. The lyrics were fast and often about fighting, this complimented the fast, aggressive music that the musicians produced. The singer Matt Heafy seemed to almost mimick James Hetfield's, of Metallica, trademark "growled" voice, this makes it unoriginal and is the only reason I wouldn't give it a 10/10 rating. The singing style however, when not growling, was nice and complimented every note played by the guitarists. Also in "This World Can't Tear Us Apart" there is a very nice harmony sung by Paolo Gregoletto, Corey Beaulieu and Matt Heafy. I think Matt Heafy should have used vocals other than the exact ones that James Hetfield uses, especially after bragging about how much they influenced him so much. // 8

Overall Impression: The album is possibly one of the best albums of 2006. It's guitar work and lyrics are masterful and very clever. The technicality of the sweeping, tremolo picking, whammy dips, bending, vibrato, slurs is very high and of a good standard. The most impressive songs from the album are: Anthem (We Are The Fire) (the solo is amazing and difficult. The harmonies sound amazing and the sweep picking is almost proffessional standard. The lyrics are warming and uplifting, the song makes you feel good as oppose to Ascendancy in which it makes you want to punch small children, This World Can't Tear Us Apart (the lyrics are sensitive and very touching. The song is about Matt Heafy and his girlfriend, the solo is amazing and the build-up to it is very intense and exciting. The singing and harmonies are spectacular and original. The leading riff is amazing and fun. I love the way their solos are so well planned and technical and their guitar work is so masterful. On the other hand the growling vocals are boring, unoriginal and very repetitive). I broke my CD when I first bought. I then went out bought another one, within a week that one was broken too. I went and bought another one and this time looked after it, the album is amazing and I would definately go and buy it again if it broke. In fact I might just buy snother one just for the sake of having two of them. I liked the album a lot and it was an exciting change for Trivium. // 8

The Crusade Reviewed by: Nathan_393, on january 07, 2008

Sound: Trivium's second CD, Ascendancy, was nothing short of spectacular upon it's arrival in 2005. Most guitar magazines hailed it as a return to thrash metal format, which it most definitely was not. The CD was more like a metalcore-esque opus. As good as that album was wrong, every problem that it had (and there were a couple) has either been corrected or intensified with Trivium's third outing, appropriately titled The Crusade. One of the major problems I found with Ascendancy was it's god-awful screaming. Gratefully, the problem was corrected on The Crusade, as Matt Heafy started using a growl approach a la James Hetfield (may metal gods be praised). Unfortunately this technique has caused opinions on the album to be divided. The biggest problem on Ascendancy was the poor song writing. Well, unfortunately for fans of quality music, it is worse now. The song writing on The Crusade has become predictable: verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus (with some minor variations every now and then). There are, of course, some standout songs where this formula works and Trivium seem to find their niche. For example, take a look at "Entrance of the Conflagration", a song that sounds just like something from the riffs of early Metallica albums (not that I'm complaining)! "Tread the Floods" is perhaps the best song on the album, with a catchy hook and killer guitar work peppered everywhere, not to mention Heafy on top of his vocal game. Of course, both those songs follow the above format of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus, and the format works. Where it fails is on stale pieces of work that sound forced and unaccomplished, like "Ignition", "Unrepentant", and "This World Can't Tear Us Apart" (with the latter being possibly the worst thrash-imitation I've ever heard in my life). In the end, almost every song (with the exclusion of "This World...") has parts to them that I like. But for most of the songs, there are also parts that I dislike, which creates an album for me that is barely above average. It's saving grace is that Heafy and Beaulieu have become masters of the guitar, and bassist Paolo Gregoletto excels at imitating Cliff Burton. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics here aren't utter garbage, but they certainly aren't amazing. Slightly comparable to Metallica's "... And Justice For All", except more biased and juvenile. Heafy is a good lyricist, but he is by no means strong enough to tackle some of the issues he did. Heafy's songs about murderers and crimes (check out "Entrance of the Conflagration", "Unrepentant", and "And Sadness Will Sear") are fantastic. He tackles them with considerable knowledge and little bias. However, his songs "Ignition" and "Detonation" are just like every other anti-war metal band's lyrics. "To The Rats" is amateur and dare I say childish, and "This World Can't Tear Us Apart" is a naive look at love that's very revealing of the fact that Heafy is just shy of twenty-two years old. "Anthem (We Are the Fire)" is hair metal in disguise, and the lyrics reflect that. That being said, his singing has been largely improved since Ascendancy (although I heard a rumor that he only stopped screaming because screaming busted a vein in his neck during a show - not that I can verify that). He may sound like a Hetfield clone, but he's good at it and frankly better than Hetfield's vocals have ever been (sorry, but Hetfield can't sing more than three notes). The lyrics and singing are definitely the stronger points of this album. // 7

Overall Impression: Trivium is now slightly comparable to Metallica, but I wouldn't say they were cloning them either. If you were to buy this CD, I don't know if I could recommend buying the whole thing. I recommend you buy/download "Entrance Of The Conflagration", "And Sadness Will Sear", "Becoming The Dragon", "Tread The Floods", and the title track. "The Rising" is an excellent song (in my opinion), but I recommend that you listen to the 30-second previews on the web before you decide on that one, since I'm one of the few people I know who enjoys that song. All in all, after a CD like Ascendancy, this one is disappointing. It allows lots of room for progression, though, and I hope that Heafy and his boys can pull themselves together and write something truly great for their next work. // 6

The Crusade Reviewed by: GuitarHero_jp, on july 03, 2008

Sound: After two successful releases, (Ember To Inferno, Ascendancy) Trivium's 3rd attempt was The Crusade. Undoubtedly, it is different to the others, like no screaming and more of a thrash style instead of Metalcore. It has been criticised by many Trivium fans but I think it is worth the buy. There isn't a single track on it that I don't like. It has the explosove singles like 'Entrance of the Conflagration', 'Anthem (We Are The Fire)' and 'The Rising' but it also has other underated songs like 'Unrepentant' and 'To the Rats'. A brilliant new sound for modern metal. // 8

Lyrics: There are a large range of lyrics on this album. Ignition & Detonation are both about society and warmongers like George Bush. Entrance of the Conflagration is about Andrea Yates drowning her 5 children in a bathtub. Unrepentant is about Nazir Ahmed murdering his daughter for getting married to the man of her choice. And Sadness Will Sear is about the murder of Matthew Sheperd and Contempt Breeds Contamination is about the shooting of Amadou Diallo. These songs all show the range of Matt Heafy's lyrical abillities. Some may riticise matt's singing instead of Screaming and have been accused of 'Selling Out'. Usually these people are complete Metalheads who are afraid to try something different. If all of Trivium's albums where the same, it would be rather boring don't you think? // 9

Overall Impression: The best songs on the album are: Ignition, Detonation, Entarnce Of The Conflagration, Anthem (We Are The Fire), Urepentant, And Sadness Will Sear, Becoming The Dragon, To the Rats, This World Can't Tear Us Apart, Tread the Floods, Contempt Breeds Conatmination, The Rising and the Crusade. Oh wait, that's all of them! But seriously, do not skip any of the songs, they are all amazing! It's like a greatest hits in it's own making. 01. Ignition - great way to start the album at 240 bpm! And then a brilliant interlude almost halving the tempo. 02. Detonation - I have to admit, I didn't like it at first, but now it's my favourite Trivium song! Amazing solos and dramatic interlude's. 03. Entrance Of The Conflagration - brilliant riff, brilliant solo, amazing druming. The making of a perfect song! 04. Anthem (We Are The Fire) - this used to be one of my favourite songs but the fact that all the wanabes love it and it's always on music channels just ruins it. I'm not to keen on the lyrics either. 05. Unrepentant - very underated song. I think it's one of the best on the album. 06. And Sadness Will Sear - beautiful song, dedicated to Matthew Shepard. 07. Becoming The Dragon - I love the rffs but the lyrics are kinda cheesy. Becoming a Dragon. Has a great moment of screaming in it. 08. To The Rats - very fast! I love this song. The only downside is Matt's solo. It sounds horrible. 09. This World Can't Tear Us Apart - reminds me of 'Dying in Your Arms' from Ascendancy, But I prefer this. It's longer and has better solo's. 10. Tread The Floods - this has one of the most amazing double bass rhythms in the chorus. It's so fast! Watch out Dave Lombardo. 11. Contempt Breeds Contamination - not to keen on the Intro, but the rest of the song is great. 12. The Rising - another brilliant single from the album. A big change for Trivium's standerds. 13. The Crusade - some good riffs. I think it goes on for a bit too long. // 9

The Crusade Reviewed by: AdamDK, on august 07, 2008

Sound: The sound on the album is fantastic. The guitars have been mixed fantastically, and the guitar parts work together so well. One of the highlights of the album for me is the harmonies which Matt and Corey perform. They are simply beautiful! As always, Travis' drumming is spot on and you can't fail Paolo for his bass. I think it would be nice if Trivium had more creative bass lines, but nevertheless they fit the songs. The songs which stand out to me are: Ignition, Entrance of the Conflagration, Anthem (We Are the Fire), Unrepentant and Tread the Floods. These songs all have fantastic riffs, awesome vocals and great solos. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album seem to be up to good standards, but are slightly lacking compared to Ascendency. However, Matt's voice is fantastic. His voice does sound very similar to James Hetfield's, but his voice fits the music perfectly. The album lacks screaming like on Ascendency and Ember to Inferno, and it is a bit of a miss, but this album is more thrash metal orientated than metalcore, and normal vocals fit well with the music. // 7

Overall Impression: In my opinion this is the second best Trivium album. First being Ascendency, and third being Ember to Inferno. Musically, the album is fantastic. It has all the elements of Trivium you would expect, except screaming vocals. If you're a true Trivium fan, this album may be sup-par for you, but any thrash metal fan would love it. // 8

The Crusade Reviewed by: jpmatrixfan88, on november 19, 2008

Sound: The Crusade is Trivium's 3rd album. It is different from some of their previous work. Namely, the vocals and guitar playing. The songs are more structured and complex than their previous work, and they really stepped up their guitar playing. The vocals are much "cleaner" than their previous work, and their isn't a lot of screaming. On this album they incorporated 7 string guitars for the first time. It shows, on songs like "This World Can't Tear Us Apart", and "And Sadness Will Sear." The overall sound is somewhat thrash-metal like, with hints of hard rock and the like. Some great guitar playing. Great solo's, and they experimented with some whammy bar tricks, on songs like "Detonation", and "Becoming the Dragon." Most of the songs have a fast pace feel to them, especially "To The Rats", and "Entrance of the Conflagration." There are some slower songs too. "And Sadness Will Sear" has an overall slower feel, as does "The Rising." That song is one of my favorites on the album, it has a very vibe-y intro riff, and the chorus just has this unifying, uplifting feel. The solo is very good, it just has so much emotion in it. One of the standouts on the album. And of course, the title track and last song on the album, is quite a song. It's an 8 minute instrumental that showcase Trivium's exemplary skills on their instruments. Nice drumming, great guitar playing, and some great bass runs, particularly in the soft breakdown in the middle of the song. Some great musicians Trivium are. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very solid, and cover many topics. The first 2 tracks, "Ignition" and "Detonation", deal with the topic of society and nuclear war, and the world going downhill and blowing itself to bits. The track "Entrance of the Conflagration" deals with the true story of Andrea Yates' murder of her five children in her home by drowning them one-by-one in her bathtub. (Yates was found not guilty by reason of insanity). The song mentions Yates' depression and suicide attempts. The line: "Robbed by the seventh deadly sin" refers to a statement made by Yates about the murders: "It was the seventh deadly sin. My children weren't righteous. They stumbled because I was evil. The way I was raising them they could never be saved. They were doomed to perish in the fires of hell." The track "And Sadness Will Sear" is about another true story of the murder of Matthew Shephard. He was gay, and in Colorado was beaten and left to die by some despicable individuals, simply because he was a homosexual. Many of the songs are about true stories, like the wrongful murder of Amadou Diallo, who was shot 41 times by police officers in a confusing dispute. Evidenced by the lyrics," The four protectors fired 41 shots, hitting him 19 times. Searching the body there were no weapons found. He lies with all who died in vain." And even a love song "This World Can't tear Us Apart." The lyrics are very good and well written, and are quite unique. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, a solid, yet different album by Trivium. A little different from what most people are used to from them. Overall I like the clean vocals and all, but there isn't a lot of variety in the vocals, most of it sounds a little similar. Probably could've used a little more screaming, as most Trivium fans are used to. Still some good work though. They are very good with their addition of the 7 string guitars, and the guitar work on the album is excellent. If it were lost/stolen I definitely would replace it, it's a good piece of work. Overall, I guess my top 5 favorite songs are, in no particular order: 01.The Crusade 02.Detonation 03.The Rising 04.And Sadness Will Sear 05.Entrance of the Conflagration // 8

More Trivium reviews rating latest review
+ Vengeance Falls 7.6 02/11/2014