True Parallels Review

Trust Company: True Parallels
Released: Mar 22, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
True Parallels is a guitar-centric force of nature, brutal at times, but always compelling.
 8.6
 9.6
 7.5
True Parallels Reviewed by: RockMusicFan, on april 08, 2005

Sound: Trust Company returns to the rock scence with yet another amazing album. I was definitely blown away after hearing this CD. They have put together a record comprised of many "In Your Face" songs as well as a couple of softies. None of the songs sound the same. This record is definitely better than their first album. // 10

Lyrics: Kevin's lyrics are more meaningful and creative than ever. I most certainly can relate to some of the lyrics. His singing is less "whispery" than on the first record, and the screams are very enjoyable as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Ok, so this album is overall just perfection. Trust Company is now one of my favorites bands just because of this CD. Yeah, it's that good. I highly recommend this CD to anyone who likes Trust Co at all. // 10

True Parallels Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 08, 2005

Sound: The newest full-length release "True Parallels" from Alabama-based quartet Trust Company might hardly be called 'long-awaited,' but for music critics and band's fans it was a good chance to wait and see what Trust's can come with after their successful debute "The Lonely Position Of Neutral." Now we have 41 tracks (I won't told you why that much, huh) to clear up if there are any changes and decide whether it's good or bad. Be sure, this is very solid album, full of pungent guitars and catchy tunes, and brutal at times and this earns a few extra points for the album. Other side is appreciable lack of diversity among the songs -- sometimes it's literally hard to discern one from another. Especially it can be felt in the monotonous sound appearance -- buzzing rhythms parts and slightly discernible lead guitar at the background, though it's rather distinguishing feature of the genre than merely Trust Company. Nevertheless, "True Parallels" has its own attraction. This is a very energetic album, containing both heavy and soft songs. It starts with crashing rhythms of "Stronger" -- the album's current single -- but I don't want to concentrate our attention on it. The following "The War Is Over" in my humble opinion is the outstanding track (that every good album should have). It's a very emotional song with neat arrangement and expressive vocals besides of its superb tunefulness. There are no superiority of any instrument -- all of them are perfectly balanced and each supplements other. Henceforth "True Parallels" becomes more softer and softer, it lose its aggressiveness and thrash sounding -- to the end we have rather smooth, slow-temped, downy at times compositions, sometimes adorn with the gleams of grinding and sharp guitars. // 8

Lyrics: The most notable change of Trust Company might be found in vocal and lyrical sides of their creation. Vocalist Kevin Palmer doesn't scream here as much as he did it on "The Lonely Position Of Neutral" -- his singing became more melodic and not so loud and cutting ear. It proves to be a welcome change because we can estimate Palmer's singing skills at true worth now. As to the lyrics, they are still the same aggressive and straightforward as on Trust Company's debute album. But main point made a step from personal relationships to some social and external life aspects. The fact that vocal parts on "True Parallels" are inseparably tied together with the music accompaniment is its best advantage. Not so many modern acts can boast of the same achievement. Perfect mark for this criterion. // 10

Overall Impression: In conclusion it's necessary to mark the last but not least change -- "True Parallels" features new Trust Company bassist Walker Warren. He's only 19 years old but it seems that he is a great gain for the band. He began his career in the band's line-up while Trust Company had a tour after "The Lonely Position Of Neutral" has been released. As to "True Parallels" itself -- for the listeners who are familiar with band's previous work this album wouldn't be a great discovery, though it wouldn't be disappointment either -- with this album Trust Company keep balance of good changes and bad moves, so it stands on the same point in terms of overall impression. For most part it's played in essentially the same style as their debut with addition of above mentioned overpatchings. It hardly could satisfy true rock/alternative/metal fans, but for the band's suitor's it would be an evidence that Trust Company are still moving forth, improving their skills in every possible way and still playing good, catchy music. // 8

True Parallels Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2005

Sound: I thought that the sound on this album was a lot different from what I heard on "The Lonely Position Of Neutral." The sound was a little heavier (just the way I like it), and more mature, which fits what they are trying to portray in their music. It's not wishy-washy pop-rock bullcrap; it's straight-up energized rock. // 10

Lyrics: Thr lyrics were a lot more composed with this album than their first. With the exception of "Someone Like You," I thought that the lyrics actually matched the style of the music. Kevin Palmer, the lead singer, was damn near perfect. If anyone else would've sung those songs, the album would have been murdered. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, to me, is up there with Linkin Park's "Meteora" and POD's "Satellite" for one of the top ten rock albums of this decade so far. The most impressive songs on the album are: Surfacing, Slave, Breaking Down, Silently, and Erased. I don't really have any problems with the album; as I said before, it's damn near perfect. If this were stolen, I would find the sorry sack-of-crap who stole it, take it back, tie them up to a tree, and force them to listen to Britney Spears for 48 hours straight. If I didn't find them, then I would buy two more copies: one for me, and one for my room. // 10

Comments